Questions for Wall Street Journal Subscribers

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
NW_Nutmegger

Questions for Wall Street Journal Subscribers

Post by NW_Nutmegger »

I'm coming to the end of my spectacular "12 weeks for $12" promotion of the Wall Street Journal and am contemplating forking over the $45 a month to continue.

For those of you who subscribe: why do you continue to subscribe?

I'm curious to know some of the reasons you enjoy reading this iconic newspaper.

Bonus: for those of you who still read the physical paper (as I have done over the past 12 weeks): what is it about reading the physical paper that beats reading it via a phone, tablet or computer screen?

Looking forward to your comments.
Last edited by NW_Nutmegger on Sat May 01, 2021 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Rely on the ordinary virtues that intelligent, balanced human beings have relied on for centuries: common sense, thrift, realistic expectations, patience and perseverance.” — Jack Bogle
Wings5

Re: Questions for Wall Street Journal Subscribers

Post by Wings5 »

We enjoy reading something without ads every other paragraph.

We had the 12 for 12 deal, but recently transitioned to an Apple News subscription that was 6 months for free, through Best Buy. That ends after 6 months and transitions to a $10/week subscription. It includes the WSJ, or many articles from it.
“Ronald James Read was an American philanthropist, investor, janitor, and gas station attendant.”
squirm

Post by squirm »

I subscribe to the print addition for thirty years. Unlike reading things online there's no annoying animated ads jumping around, it's easier to read and I can read it wherever I want. Reading things online is getting very tough with video ads now. Anyways the articles are well written. Our local paper is crap.

Post by 123 »

We have subscribed to the WSJ for over 10 years. We feel it's a reliable news source.

Until recently we paid for 2 physical copies of the daily paper. Spouse and I both like to read it when the news is fresh and, to put it bluntly, one spouse twists, folds, and krinkles the paper so much that it is unreadable by the other spouse. For purposes of marital harmony the most easiest solution was to get 2 copies. We found that we got more out of the printed paper than reading it online. We found that we overlooked some items when we tried to read the content as it was presented on the wsj.com site. With a physical paper it is easier to know what you have read and what you haven't.

Due to the recent availability of the IOS app "WSJ Print" (not the regular WSJ app) we decided we could get by with 1 print subscription (for the krinkler).
Last edited by 123 on Sat May 01, 2021 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

Wings5 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:05 am We enjoy reading something without ads every other paragraph.
Pro-tip: Use IOS/MacOS Safari “reading mode”. If you click fast enough it even bypasses paywalls . You basically click on the “Aa” on the title bar and select “show reader view”.

Back on topic: I subscribe because it’s a very high quality newspaper which exposes me to the views on the other side of the political spectrum (right of center).

Most of what the write is well thought out and written. They also frequently have some fantastic visuals related to the stock market and economy which make you think.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

The news articles are solid, well-written, timely, and in-depth.

The editorials are consistently excellent, and give a point of view that is different from many other media sources.

I got print copies for probably 40 years while I was working. Now, in retirement, I'm quite satisfied with the online version.
It's a GREAT day to be alive! - Travis Tritt
DarthSage

Post by DarthSage »

Normally I read the online version. I've always lived where the print version is delivered with the mail--where I live now, that would be 5-6pm. Not good for the day's news!

However, on vacation, I always splurge and get the paper version. I prefer it, and I love doing the crossword.
Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet »

I learned about Bogleheads while reading the WSJ. I enjoy “unplugging” for a few minutes each day while reading the physical paper. I think it’s good for my children to see me looking at something other than a screen. Newsprint is good for arts and crafts :happy . I like how most WSJ articles are concise and political opinions seem to be limited to the opinion section not throughout the entire paper. I think the Saturday Off Duty and Review section have a lot of quality content.
djheini

Post by djheini »

I read it because they seem to cover interesting business/econ stories I don't see elsewhere, and it's good to get another perspective. I'm on a $4/month for the first year plan I got at the end of last year, but I don't think I would keep it when it reverts to the normal price of $40ish/month.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

We've gotten it for decades, although not consistently. When I worked in financial services, I received a daily copy at work as part of my job.

We now use the Print App.

I would not pay $500 a year or anywhere near that. A few years back, I went to a local community college and obtained a certificate in a hobby of mine (7 courses, 24 credits). As such, I became a student, and got the student rate.

I dislike the editorials, and ignore the Opinion page section totally. I probably read the entire paper in under 30 minutes.

I expect that in our upcoming retirement, I may abandon it totally.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I used to receive the paper subscription and loved it. However, it is sort of a waste of paper, energy, etc. when it can be read online. Reading online also allows me to sneak in a few articles at work without having to pull out the paper and make others see I am not working :)

I really dislike the main website and now that I have found the "print edition" online, I absolutely love it.

The local library offers access, completely free, you only have to renew every 72 hours.

There are some unique articles in there that I like to read. On a daily basis, I read from 3-10 articles and skip the rest.

Through the library, it is the New York edition. I, like someone else mentioned, completely skip the opinion page. I do read other sections, however.
markjk

Post by markjk »

NW_Nutmegger wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:58 pm For those of you who subscribe: why do you continue to subscribe?
It's expensive, no doubt. I've had a subscription for most of the last five years. I did cancel for about six months two years ago but ended up going back. It's enough to read the headlines to get an idea of the daily topics. But, when I didn't have the subscription, I found I wanted to read certain articles and I couldn't find equivalent articles through other sources. So after a while, I went back and subscribed. I just like the content, layout, etc. It's a quality paper. Nothing is perfect but at this point in my life, I'm OK spending the money and feel there is enough value to keep subscribing.
NW_Nutmegger wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:58 pm Bonus: for those of you who still read the physical paper (as I have done over the past 12 weeks): what is it about reading the physical paper that beats reading it via a phone, tablet or computer screen?
I'm going to reverse this a bit. I primarily use digital for the convenience. I actually like reading the real paper but now that I'm used to finding articles quickly, searching out word definitions, listening via audio (some articles can be read for you), quickly navigating up and down through an article, emailing article links, etc. I just stick with the computer/tablet. Nothing against paper but the convenience of digital navigation wins out for me most of the time. On the days I have some extra time, I will go out on the front porch or back deck and read the paper. I do enjoy it when time allows.
gerntz

Post by gerntz »

squirm wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:06 am I subscribe to the print addition for thirty years. Unlike reading things online there's no annoying animated ads jumping around, it's easier to read and I can read it wherever I want. Reading things online is getting very tough with video ads now. Anyways the articles are well written. Our local paper is crap.
Agree.
gerntz

Post by gerntz »

123 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:10 am We have subscribed to the WSJ for over 10 years. We feel it's a reliable news source.

Until recently we paid for 2 physical copies of the daily paper. Spouse and I both like to read it when the news is fresh and, to put it bluntly, one spouse twists, folds, and krinkles the paper so much that it is unreadable by the other spouse. For purposes of marital harmony the most easiest solution was to get 2 copies. We found that we got more out of the printed paper than reading it online. We found that we overlooked some items when we tried to read the content as it was presented on the wsj.com site. With a physical paper it is easier to know what you have read and what you haven't.

Due to the recent availability of the IOS app "WSJ Print" (not the regular WSJ app) we decided we could get by with 1 print subscription (for the krinkler).
Agree
frugalecon

Post by frugalecon »

I find the WSJ-app version to be better for me than the print version; I like having it available on my tablet regardless of my location. The news operation does seem to be good. Between that and the NYT I feel like I am covered. I am, however, unwilling to pay on the order of $40/month. I have found, however, that if I call and say, “I would like to cancel b/c I am not willing to pay $40/month,” I am always offered a retention deal of about $20/month.
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

I read the print edition for about 35 years. I do not subscribe now, but I still scan their webpage each day for topics that interest me. For most articles, you can see the first few paragraphs before the paywall kicks in. I am thus not able to read most of the story, but it does give me a good feel for what is going on in that area. Some articles and editorials are completely available for free - you never know which ones until you click on them and find out. The WSJ does a good job of covering the news, and the editorials provide a viewpoint that is not found in the mainstream media.
moshe

Post by moshe »

A subscriber can also download the full paper in PDF format for offline reading. This is my preferred method as it looks and feels, except for tactile of course, like the actual paper. We only have an online subscription. We pay $4 a month, a special offered at different times during the year. I would not pay much more.

http://ereader.wsj.net/

~Moshe
My money has no emotions. ~Moshe | | I'm the world's greatest expert on my own opinion. ~Bruce Williams
Bogle7

Paper feels good

Post by Bogle7 »

We like paper.
We have money.
So, we spend $1100 for the Journal and the Times.
Of course, that includes online which is better for the long interactive technical articles.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

I've subscribed for most of my adult life, although I occasionally lapse for a while. Now I only use the online edition, because I prefer to read on tablet, pc and phone. I still view it as a relatively high-quality news source for business, economics and investing. Broad coverage, reasonable depth, topics of interest to me. Compared to the free alternatives, I think it contains less hype, is less personality-driven, and just more interesting overall. Still, I use multiple news sources, but WSJ is in my top 5.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

squirm wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:06 am I subscribe to the print addition for thirty years. Unlike reading things online there's no annoying animated ads jumping around, it's easier to read and I can read it wherever I want. Reading things online is getting very tough with video ads now. Anyways the articles are well written. Our local paper is crap.
+100

I've been getting the WSJ for 25+ years. I get both the hard copy and online. I much prefer the hard copy, but due to the fact that we live in a rural area and our trusty snail mail provider can't deliver it consistently, I'll then resort to the electronic version. I use to get two local papers but those have really deteriorated, so now, WSJ is the only paper I get.

Before I retired, I could use airmiles to cover the subscription cost. My last subscription was from E-bay (~3 years ago), and was from a tip from a Boglehead. I believe the cost was ~$119.00/yr. When that was about to expire, I tried to relocate the E-bay contact but it no longer existed. I then called WSJ customer service, and to my amazement, I found out that I could continue my subscription direct for $9.99/mo.

For me, the WSJ is an excellent source of news. One of the most relaxing parts of my day is grabbing the WSJ in the early afternoon and catching up on what's going on out there. :sharebeer
Somethingwitty92912

Post by Somethingwitty92912 »

I had it for about sixish months then canceled. I’ll give you a few of my take aways.

First, it’s largely sometimes—word for word, opinions an ideas available freely online.

Second, the opinions section seems balanced and entertaining.

Third, It is well written, an at times compelling.

Fourth, it’s nice to pick up an hold something to read, I still prefer paper to iPad.

Last, why pay for something that is free?
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Wings5 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:05 am We enjoy reading something without ads every other paragraph.

We had the 12 for 12 deal, but recently transitioned to an Apple News subscription that was 6 months for free, through Best Buy. That ends after 6 months and transitions to a $10/week subscription. It includes the WSJ, or many articles from it.
Apple News is a great value for me ($10.99) but that is a topic for a different thread. I am also on a $4 WSJ promotional deal, which includes access to the very good iPad app. Not sure what I'll do when the $4 deal expires, but paying $40 for "All Access Digital" ain't happening. I think that the WSJ newsroom is excellent and I like how the paper has preserved its independence from the editorial pages.

Back to Apple News, the WSJ experience is nothing like subscribing to the actual digital paper. You can indeed get many articles, but they aren't always that easy to find. The newspaper experience on Apple's service is different than the News+ magazines, which you can read from cover to cover.

I personally have no interest in the paper version of the WSJ.
oldmotos

Post by oldmotos »

I have finally gotten use to the online edition after many years of the print and like their more middle of the road opinion section as compared to other left wing and right wing news sources. I bought a $79.95 online subscription for 2 years on eBay but have paid more at times.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

I'm unable to read from print material, but I used to take my coffee and read the paper at my local library and at different points of my life the University in town. Nowadays I just use the digital version from my local library. Gives me access to more news sources as well. And I have noticed that some of the sources/apps they now provide are almost identical to the printed page on the tablet.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

I read it online in my phone. I wake up very slowly, and I love picking up my phone and reading the news from the WSJ while drinking my coffee. (I also occasionally read Reuters, AP, NPR, and the New York Times.) My former husband was a hoarder, and I really don't want paper cluttering up my home these days.

WSJ has high reporting standards. They aren't the fastest to break a story (they fact check very carefully). The quality of the writing is excellent. They don't have as much human interest as the New York Times. Many times I can read the facts in the WSJ, and then in the New York Times, they put more reporters on the story to interview more "real people" to show how the news affects regular citizens. The NYTimes also interviews more experts in order to probe deeper. I don't read the editorial/opinion sections in either.

I find social media rather alarming these days as so many people don't understand the value of a Pulitzer-prize winning newspaper with a stable of excellent editors and writers. No, Youtube is not a valid news source! You might find some high-quality news there, but there are no editors required. When inaccurate and misleading youtube videos go viral and they could have been fact-checked in five minutes using Google, I find it rather discouraging.

It's nice to know there are others out there that appreciate the WSJ.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I've been reading the WSJ for over 30 years as a print subscriber. I've subscribed to the NYT longer than that. I now get the NYT in a digital version because our delivery service can't get the print version here before 10 AM. I've also used the WSJ http://ereader.wsj.net/ for years. It looks exactly like the WSJ Print app others mention.

For the NYT I check the online site for the latest headlines, but I read the news in their Today's Paper, https://app.nytimes.com/ It gives you a layout quite like a print version: headlines by section on the left; actual stories on the right. Great app that works on tablets and laptops but not phones.

Both are among the world's best newspapers. I enjoy reading each. Whether you agree with their editorial pages, it's wonderful to have access to the minds and experience of those writing. The generally contrasting perspectives are educational for me. The depth of stories is exceptional.

I do the crosswords, now almost always online, daily. The NYT has the better crossword app. I've suggested several times that the WSJ buy the NYT app! I enjoy the acrostics too.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

I subscribed for the first time this year, for a $4/month 1-year sale.

I had high hopes, as this has been a venerated journal my entire life, but I have to admit that I've been frankly really off-put by their editorials, which give plenty of voice to anti-COVIDvax viewpoints, stop-the-steal ideology, antienvironment no-regulation,an pretty much the entire Trumpian ideology, just with a more 'civilized' front. The comments section also reveal that the majority (vast?) of their readers not only enjoy, but revel in this ideology. (The anti-vax comments frankly astounded me - it was basically mainstream there!)

I will admit that the news articles that aren't editorial do seem to play it fair, avoiding politics whenever possible, but you still definitely notice the editorial bias in selection (and omission) of articles regarding various topics.

I am one that I feel that avoids the news bubbles - while I read and value highly the NYT, I spend a lot more time reading Fox news, WSJ, and even go into OANN, the Epoch times and Breitbart regularly. If you looked at my screen time with each site, it's easily 75%+ Fox etc news and <25% NYT and any other left leaning news. WSJ editorials are much closer to Fox news that what I consider 'real' news.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

Somethingwitty92912 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:50 am I had it for about sixish months then canceled. I’ll give you a few of my take aways.

First, it’s largely sometimes—word for word, opinions an ideas available freely online.

Second, the opinions section seems balanced and entertaining.

Third, It is well written, an at times compelling.

Fourth, it’s nice to pick up an hold something to read, I still prefer paper to iPad.

Last, why pay for something that is free?
yep
RIP Mr. Bogle.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

lightheir wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:39 pm
I had high hopes, as this has been a venerated journal my entire life, but I have to admit that I've been frankly really off-put by their editorials, which give plenty of voice to anti-COVIDvax viewpoints, stop-the-steal ideology, antienvironment no-regulation,an pretty much the entire Trumpian ideology, just with a more 'civilized' front. The comments section also reveal that the majority (vast?) of their readers not only enjoy, but revel in this ideology. (The anti-vax comments frankly astounded me - it was basically mainstream there!)

I am one that I feel that avoids the news bubbles - while I read and value highly the NYT, I spend a lot more time reading Fox news, WSJ, and even go into OANN, the Epoch times and Breitbart regularly. If you looked at my screen time with each site, it's easily 75%+ Fox etc news and <25% NYT and any other left leaning news. WSJ editorials are much closer to Fox news that what I consider 'real' news.
I'm surprised by this comparison. The WSJ is far more moderate than any of these other news outlets. While I certainly don't agree with much of what is written in the editorials or opinion pieces (or letters to the editor -- which can really get dicey), they do often point out flaws in my own viewpoints which I think is important. No matter your political leanings, we are all capable of telling ourselves fairytales or believe in narratives to shore up our beliefs which are often on flimsy footings. To this point, I can point to many opinion and editorials pieces in other papers which are rooted in equally flimsy reasoning, don't even get me started on the letters.
sam1838

Post by sam1838 »

I read the news section (and avoid the opinion) every day. I consider it basically the only objective news section of a newspaper still around. Other sources like The New York Times and The Washington Post have shifted to "narrative journalism" where every story, every title, every omission is designed to push a certain perspective on the reader, and if you just read those sources you would think the world a very simple black and white place with easily identifiable good people and bad people.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

lightheir wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:39 pm I subscribed for the first time this year, for a $4/month 1-year sale.

I will admit that the news articles that aren't editorial do seem to play it fair, avoiding politics whenever possible, but you still definitely notice the editorial bias in selection (and omission) of articles regarding various topics.

i'm really hoping we can avoid getting this thread locked as i find it very interesting.
you may find this media bias chart helpful
https://www.adfontesmedia.com/static-mbc/
cheers,
grok
RIP Mr. Bogle.
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

Been a reader of WSJ for most of my adult life. Frankly, I am growing weary of the “news”. I subscribe to the WSJ now, mainly to support the fine job they do.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

grok87 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:21 pm
lightheir wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:39 pm I subscribed for the first time this year, for a $4/month 1-year sale.

i'm really hoping we can avoid getting this thread locked as i find it very interesting.
cheers,
grok
That chart does not address specifically the editorial section I was mentioning. I would completely disagree with its location on that chart with regards to the editorials (and the editorial board that regularly writes them).
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

NW_Nutmegger wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:58 pm I'm coming to the end of my spectacular "12 weeks for $12" promotion of the Wall Street Journal and am contemplating forking over the $45 a month to continue.

For those of you who subscribe: why do you continue to subscribe?

I'm curious to know some of the reasons you enjoy reading this iconic newspaper.

Bonus: for those of you who still read the physical paper (as I have done over the past 12 weeks): what is it about reading the physical paper that beats reading it via a phone, tablet or computer screen?

Looking forward to your comments.
I get it in paper as I still like a physical newspaper. A relief from being online all day. I grew up with a newspaper!

I actually don’t get it everyday. I manage what days I want on the app. Then it gets added to my subscription. I usually only pay every couple of months or so. Not a bad cost at all.

It is hard to read it all in one sitting.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
grok87

Post by grok87 »

lightheir wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:52 pm
grok87 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:21 pm

cheers,
grok
That chart does not address specifically the editorial section I was mentioning. I would completely disagree with its location on that chart with regards to the editorials (and the editorial board that regularly writes them).
agree (completely, believe me, i know, i know!)
i was more trying to be helpful on this part of your post
wrote: but you still definitely notice the editorial bias in selection (and omission) of articles regarding various topics.
cheers,
grok
RIP Mr. Bogle.
bighatnohorse

Post by bighatnohorse »

I too have the $4.00 / month digital subscription (print version comes each Saturday) and will wait until the end.
If they offer an extension for the same price, I will take it. If not, I will wait and see if they offer a discount incentive after expiration.

(I don't like an accumulation of newspapers and don't want to bother with recycling, so digital edition is my preference.)
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

mrspock wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:57 pm

I'm surprised by this comparison. The WSJ is far more moderate than any of these other news outlets. While I certainly don't agree with much of what is written in the editorials or opinion pieces (or letters to the editor -- which can really get dicey), they do often point out flaws in my own viewpoints which I think is important. No matter your political leanings, we are all capable of telling ourselves fairytales or believe in narratives to shore up our beliefs which are often on flimsy footings. To this point, I can point to many opinion and editorials pieces in other papers which are rooted in equally flimsy reasoning, don't even get me started on the letters.
The nail in the coffin is the comments section of the WSJ. If you want a good perspective of what's popular there and what's not, just take a look.

I do, however agree with you on the alternative viewpoints. As said, I read 75%+ conservative news. I open Fox numerous times a day, NYT gets opened maybe 1-3x in comparison. I'm greatly interested in what 'the other side' is reading and talking about - I've been doing this for 6+ years now. It's true some of the points that are made in the WSJ editorials are valuable even if I disagree - today's piece on Jordan Peterson has plenty of stuff I'm sure I should think about twice regarding my viewpoints.

Still, you're fooling yourself if you think the WSJ and its readers are 'center' politically. Look at the comments sections, and you'll see. Especially with articles re: big oil, green energy, the insurrection, and vaccination. The (vast) majority of the commenters are anti-science, anti-expert, anti-authority with these topics.
lgs88

Post by lgs88 »

I enjoy the business coverage. I ignore the editorial section, save for Peggy Noonan.

Additionally, I need newspaper for the fireplace. Old issues of the Journal are excellent for this purpose, although at times I’ll get distracted by an article while I’m crumpling up the paper and it’ll take me longer to set the fire than necessary.
merely an interested amateur
hornet96

Post by hornet96 »

lightheir wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:54 pmThe (vast) majority of the commenters are anti-science, anti-expert, anti-authority with these topics.
Is it perhaps possible that maybe only the readers with the most “extreme” viewpoints are the ones doing most of the commenting? Self-selection bias in the comments section?

I read the WSJ news sections, because I believe they are well-written and informative, and actually pretty moderate in their coverage of most topics. Most of the editorials, however - not so much. Not at all, actually, other than the rare exception of the likes of an occasional Peggy Noonan editorial.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

https://www.wsj.com/articles/wsj-com-tu ... 1619701348

Longtime subscribers to the digital WSJ may remember some of the old looks, such as Wall Street Journal Interactive Edition, circa late 1990s. :happy
GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL »

I enjoy the digital HTML 5 version. I can see the entire page on my 10-inch tablet and when I touch a section, the article pops up in a readable font.
leeks

Post by leeks »

I enjoy having WSJ website access because I find their news stories less biased/less spin than other new sources these days. They certainly have a bias about topics - but I ignore all the boring stock-related stuff. And I try not to notice the obnoxious "Mansion Global" stuff (NY Times is guilty of something similar). I appreciate reading differing editorial perspectives and occasionally there is something that really resonates with me.

I also get a student discount so it is not that pricey. We also have the Washington Post and NY Times website access at free or discounted student rates. I read or skim headlines from a variety of other sources (covering differing political biases) that are either free or allow some number of free articles per month/device/browser.

We pay full price to access online a local newspaper in a city where we own a house.
politely

Post by politely »

I submit my reply for the question regarding the NYT, with essentially the same answer, except that the WSJ skews right, and does not have an enjoyable puzzle section or cooking section. Also, the WSJ is much more expensive than NYT. Not sure that is warranted anymore. In my opinion, it used to be a "professional" paper, but it has become more of a general interest paper over the last decade or so, particularly with respect to politics and lifestyle. I may be in the minority, but I am not a fan of this expansion because I feel that it taints the business information for which I subscribe.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

I subscribe to both the WSJ and NYT. I like the balance between them. My first experience reading these were in my public intermediate school, where it was expected.

I have to say that when the WSJ fired its portrait artists and started printing photographs, I saw it as the sign of the apocalypse.
RJC

Post by RJC »

lightheir wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:54 pm

The nail in the coffin is the comments section of the WSJ. If you want a good perspective of what's popular there and what's not, just take a look.

I do, however agree with you on the alternative viewpoints. As said, I read 75%+ conservative news. I open Fox numerous times a day, NYT gets opened maybe 1-3x in comparison. I'm greatly interested in what 'the other side' is reading and talking about - I've been doing this for 6+ years now. It's true some of the points that are made in the WSJ editorials are valuable even if I disagree - today's piece on Jordan Peterson has plenty of stuff I'm sure I should think about twice regarding my viewpoints.

Still, you're fooling yourself if you think the WSJ and its readers are 'center' politically. Look at the comments sections, and you'll see. Especially with articles re: big oil, green energy, the insurrection, and vaccination. The (vast) majority of the commenters are anti-science, anti-expert, anti-authority with these topics.
+1 reasons why I stay far away from the WSJ
GreenLawn

Post by GreenLawn »

lightheir wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:54 pm

I love the WSJ! I liked it more when they had a separate Personal Journal section and before Rupert Murdoch took over the editorial section, but the news reporting is excellent. To Rupert's credit, he appears to have left the news reporters unmolested, so I'm fine with leaving the opinion section to him. I read mostly the paper edition as I prefer that to online. Maybe because I've read newspapers for decades, the layout of the paper version is more conducive to browsing for me than the online version.

For other newspapers like the NYT and Washington Post I prefer the online edition as reader's comments provide valuable context to the writer's perspective. Sure a lot of the comments are useless, but enough aren't to make it worthwhile. I also read Wired magazine, their staff is more attuned to the online world, artificial intelligence, etc. Most of the mag is mediocre, but occasionally there is an insightful article on the evolution of our society not found in the mainstream press.

American culture is heavily influenced by commerce so I gain valuable insights on understanding our country and my place in it by keeping up with business and how it responds to and molds our behavior. Hence I've been reading the business press for decades and will continue to do so.
Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn »

Stinky wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:36 am The editorials are consistently excellent, and give a point of view that is different from many other media sources.
Agreed. They even allow comments, unlike most of the online news media who is afraid of letting people voicing their opinions.
tullera

Post by tullera »

I am early 40's and have gotten (and still get) the paper edition for probably over 10 years. The opinion pages are truly garbage, but I find the news reporting informative, especially the world news since that is less likely to bubble up online for me.

But truly my favorite part is the a-hed (https://www.wsj.com/news/types/a-hed) article, which is the sort of off-beat, below the fold front page article which usually (60-70%) is entertaining and timely and often something that I wouldn't have seen otherwise. It's a nice way to start the day.

Oh, and I prefer the paper because it sort of forces me to browse the articles in a way the website doesn't and I definitely end up reading more things that way and I am in front of a computer/device for my work so it's nice to take a break from all that for a bit.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

lgs88 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:55 pm I enjoy the business coverage. I ignore the editorial section, save for Peggy Noonan.

Additionally, I need newspaper for the fireplace. Old issues of the Journal are excellent for this purpose, although at times I’ll get distracted by an article while I’m crumpling up the paper and it’ll take me longer to set the fire than necessary.
I agree, with the exception that I have a gas fireplace :mrgreen:

Her "thousand points of light" speech for Bush was iconic.
GreenLawn

Post by GreenLawn »

In contrast to the rest of the section, I never know what Ms. Noonan is going to say. I wouldn't call her a curve ball pitcher as much as a knuckle baller. Sometimes it's over the plate as expected. Other times she's taking a detour, which I happily follow (where is that darn ball going to end up!).