Pour Over Coffee & Bean Grinders

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Pour Over Coffee & Bean Grinders

Post by Barefootgirl »

Do you have a favorite filtering device/cup/contraption that you use to make pour over coffee?

What device would you recommend as an entry level bean grinder?

I love good coffee, but am not among the coffee elite ;)
Last edited by Barefootgirl on Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
ChinchillaWhiplash

Re: Pour Over Coffee & Bean Gringers

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash »

This is an excellent grinder that is fully adjustable to a very fine grind. https://portofmokha.com/collections/sho ... rr-grinder
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Chemex Coffee Maker is part of MoMA's permanent collection --- https://www.moma.org/collection/works/1847

Their website --- https://www.chemexcoffeemaker.com/
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Melitta is great for single cup. With a #2 filter. Get a glass/ceramic one. You can make the perfect pour over.
Doc7

Post by Doc7 »

My entry level, any level (non-espresso) grinder recommendation is to get the Baratza Encore. I upgraded the burr to "M2 Burr" on mine but if you are not mechanically inclined / comfortable (this was a single wing nut change out), you certainly do not need to. Have been using mine 1-2 x daily for 2+ years now, it is truly excellent. I also put it in this to keep fine dust to a minimum:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PC ... UTF8&psc=1
Size Medium

I use Seattle Coffee Gear to supply my stuff.

TBH every day morning we use the Bonavita Metropolitan brewer, it makes an excellent pot and has SCAA Certified internals although the setup is not packaged as a certified brewer.

I love the Beehouse Pourover brewer (have 2) and Chemex and Aeropress, but hardly ever use them, unless i am making coffee out of boredom on a saturday with kids not running around like crazy (rarely).

I bought my sister a Clever Dripper and plan to get one myself.

Check out James Hoffman on youtube for his excellent reviews and down to earth personality.

I also recommend mail ordering beans. It is very simple to order a lot of beans and keep fresh. I learned this from Hoffman, have been doing it for years and I can recommend heartily (it stays bubbly/blooming on a pourover even 30 days later, proving it is keeping the beans fresh).

-Find a good coffee retailer that has fast shipping and roasts-when-ordered. On east coast I like Blanchard's in Richmond and Counter Culture in Durham, NC. Buy 4-5 bags (reduces shipping/bag)

- When beans arrive, let rest in original packaging until 4 days after roast date printed on package.

- open and dump one bag worth of beans (which for us, is 5 days worth in a 12 oz bag) in an Airscape (ours is the medium 7")
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016 ... UTF8&psc=1
These are the beans you brew with for next few days

- Open and dump each extra bag of beans in their own Quart Ziplock freezer bag. I am a brand-conscious person when it comes to Ziplock. Squeeze the air out and seal it. Vacuum packing is not required. When the bag is sealed you should be able to tell it's been squeezed out (its fairly tight around the beans). Hoffman simply uses a glass canning jar to save on plastic waste.

- Date these and store in freezer.

- when you Airscape is getting low, at least one day earlier, remove the next bag from freezer. They need to be at room temp the next morning before you open the bag to prevent additional condensation and spoilage. Then open it and dump in your airscape.

- remember to order new beans when down to your last bag in freezer.

Enjoy!!!

I also make 15 gallons of water at a time at my preferred hardness, using a reloading scale, baking soda, and Epsom salt. i found getting DI Water form the dispenser at walmart and bringing it to proper hardness for brewing has made tremendous coffee differences.
Last edited by Doc7 on Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Baratza Encore burr grinder
https://baratza.com/grinder/encore/
Mishigami

Post by Mishigami »

Another vote for the Baratza Encore burr grinder. Very satisfied.
badger42

Re: Pour Over Coffee & Bean Grinders

Post by badger42 »

Another vote for the Baratza Encore. It does a really good job hitting the sweet spot for price/quality for anything but true Espresso.
Topic Author
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

When beans arrive, let rest in original packaging until 4 days after roast date printed on package.

What is the reasoning for the 4 day rest period? thanks, have no idea
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
blueberrypi

Post by blueberrypi »

Currently using Hario v60 with a 1Zpresso JX manual grinder. I used an Aeropress for two years before switching to the Hario v60. I think overall the Aeropress was a better brewer; seemed less fussy and gave a smoother brew. Since they are pretty cheap and fun to play around with my suggestion would be to get a pour over cone and an Aeropress and go nuts.
Doc7

Post by Doc7 »

Barefootgirl wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:17 am When beans arrive, let rest in original packaging until 4 days after roast date printed on package.

What is the reasoning for the 4 day rest period? thanks, have no idea

Freshly roasted beans off-gas excess CO2, and if brewed earlier than this can have flavors many find off putting. As freezing halts the same process, you want to just knock out the post roast waiting period before freezing, just like you would if going directly to brewing without freezing.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Something that I like about the Baratza grinders is that they can be serviced by the owner -- burr replacement, motor replacement, etc. I like that better than tossing it into the landfill and buying a new one.

I have a Baratza that is about 20 years old and still cranking ...... uh, grinding.

For brewing I prefer French Press, both for the taste and for not hassling with filters.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Barefootgirl wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:02 am Do you have a favorite filtering device/cup/contraption that you use to make pour over coffee?

What device would you recommend as an entry level bean grinder?

I love good coffee, but am not among the coffee elite ;)
Oxo grinder is currently on sale $80 ($60ish with a bed bath 20%) coupon.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/ ... el/5250992
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

For pour over you may not need precise grind sizing offered by expensive grinders, especially if using paper filters. Can any cheap grinder you like.

Pour over devices include, among others, paper and non-paper. Most of the paper is treated with chemicals, tree-derived, and ongoing operational cost. Avoid plastic. I use a dishwasher-safe stainless steel filter. For this one, grind size is important not to clog it and suffer slow filtering.

BH Consumer FAQ: | Car? Used Toyota, Lexus or Miata. | House? 20% down and 3x salary. | Vacation house? No. | Umbrella? $1 million. | Goods? Costco.
xtracrispy1031

Post by xtracrispy1031 »

Nicolas wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:31 am Baratza Encore burr grinder
https://baratza.com/grinder/encore/
+1 have the same, it's great.
Volando

Post by Volando »

Baratza encore is usually the recommended grinder for entry (and beyond even). Myself I got the oxo grinder that was linked earlier only because target had a fantastic sale on it. I think I got $50 off when I purchased it. It works really well and I have had zero problems with it over almost two years.

As far as pour over if you want something simple I use the bee house (https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/zero ... bkk-15l-wh) and it works just fine for me. It uses regular filters you can get at the grocery store and from what I’ve read requires less technique to make good coffee (not sure how true that is since I mainly use the bee house). I also have a Chemex which makes fantastic coffee. Unfortunately, that uses special filters which can be a little pricey.

For larger groups I have a Braun drip coffee maker that works well for larger pots.
margaritaville

Post by margaritaville »

blueberrypi wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:31 am Currently using Hario v60 with a 1Zpresso JX manual grinder. I used an Aeropress for two years before switching to the Hario v60. I think overall the Aeropress was a better brewer; seemed less fussy and gave a smoother brew. Since they are pretty cheap and fun to play around with my suggestion would be to get a pour over cone and an Aeropress and go nuts.
This is great advice. The 1Zpresso (pronounced EZpresso) JX is a great grinder if you don't mind 30-40 seconds of cranking the handle. It's built like a tank and produces a very consistent grind. You'll have to spend at least twice as much to get a decent electric grinder (Baratza) and then it won't have the lifespan of the manual one.

I really like immersion brews as they are very forgiving and make great, clean coffee. The Hario Switch is similar in approach to the Clever Dripper, but made of nicer materials (glass and silicone). You might have to go to ebay and buy direct from overseas as they are imported in low quantities and the US distributor seems to always be sold out. Another immersion brewer that also has a paper filter is the Aeropress as blueberrypi mentioned. It's very cost effective, great for travel, and produces great coffee.

As someone else mentioned, James Hoffman on Youtube is a great way to start down the Rabbit hole of specialty coffee.
texascrane

Post by texascrane »

You want a Kalita Wave 185 and a baratza encore grinder.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I use a Kitchen Aid grinder and a Chemex pour-over carafe.
Ricchan

Post by Ricchan »

I have an old Baratza Virtuoso (not the Virtuoso+), which I use with a Hario v60.

If you choose to go with a pour over, I'd also recommend a gooseneck kettle as it helps with the pour control, which makes a difference in pour overs.

I get my hot water from a Zojirushi water boiler, which is also used for things other than coffee.
luckyducky99

Post by luckyducky99 »

In my opinion the grind matters most. I have tried every brew method under the sun but still prefer a simple dripper (mr coffee). I grind with one of these: https://www.redroostertradingcompany.co ... ffee-mill/

You should experiment to find the brew method you like best (there’s a lot of variation depending on how you like your brew) but don’t skimp on the grinder — it’s a necessary prerequisite to any good cup.
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

I know the Baratza is the coffee grinder but a friend got me a Cuisinart SupremeGrind as a gift several years ago & it's served me well. It's $60 versus more than double for the Baratza. If you're just getting started & switching from preground beans, anything will feel like a big upgrade.

While I do like the ethos of "buy it for life" once you know you like & will use something, I also feel like there's some major hedonic adaption at play to think that someone who specifically asked for an entry level grinder must get the very best one to enjoy it. Or as my mom likes to say "you can't miss what you've never had".

On the beans front, maybe I'm spoiled living in Chicago because we do have a lot of local roasteries, but I can't imagine buying beans online. At any grocery store here, I can pick from 4-5 local brands, and I usually just go with whatever has the freshest roast date on the bag.
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

Grinder: Hario Skerton https://www.amazon.com/Hario-MSCS-2DTB- ... 01LXZACFB/
I have used it daily for 6 years with no issues, cleaned it maybe once. It's a workhorse. It is manual though, so I wouldn't recommend it if you need coffee for 3+ cups. I make a cup in the morning and one in the afternoon so it's perfect for me.

Dripper: Kalita Wave 101 Ceramic Dripper https://www.amazon.com/Kalita-Ceramic-C ... 0038L8RFI/
Good for a single cup. I usually can't find filters for this size so I just buy the smallest ones I can get and fold the edges over the dripper.
cogito

Post by cogito »

After years of wasting time and money with garbage grinders, I went with the Baratza Encore on the recommendation of Wirecutter.

Should have done it years ago. 10/10
bagle

Post by bagle »

margaritaville wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:07 am
blueberrypi wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:31 am Currently using Hario v60 with a 1Zpresso JX manual grinder. I used an Aeropress for two years before switching to the Hario v60. I think overall the Aeropress was a better brewer; seemed less fussy and gave a smoother brew. Since they are pretty cheap and fun to play around with my suggestion would be to get a pour over cone and an Aeropress and go nuts.
This is great advice. The 1Zpresso (pronounced EZpresso) JX is a great grinder if you don't mind 30-40 seconds of cranking the handle. It's built like a tank and produces a very consistent grind. You'll have to spend at least twice as much to get a decent electric grinder (Baratza) and then it won't have the lifespan of the manual one.

I really like immersion brews as they are very forgiving and make great, clean coffee. The Hario Switch is similar in approach to the Clever Dripper, but made of nicer materials (glass and silicone). You might have to go to ebay and buy direct from overseas as they are imported in low quantities and the US distributor seems to always be sold out. Another immersion brewer that also has a paper filter is the Aeropress as blueberrypi mentioned. It's very cost effective, great for travel, and produces great coffee.

As someone else mentioned, James Hoffman on Youtube is a great way to start down the Rabbit hole of specialty coffee.
+1 to Baratza Encore as best value for pour over.

1Zpresso JX is slightly better grind if you don't mind ritual of 40-50 seconds of manual grinding.

Neither will work very well if you plan on going expresso route, but JX-Pro (which I have) will for a little more cash.

+ James Hoffman videos are all you need to go from novice to expert in all coffee matters.
TSR

Post by TSR »

I'll be slightly contrarian here and say that the Capresso Infinity should be considered the true entry-level burr grinder. If you've really never done the burr grinder thing, it will be pretty much everything you need, and it is significantly cheaper than the Baratza Encore. May not be the absolute best, but I've used it for years and it's more than adequate. I have no doubt the Baratza is good too.

Enjoy -- don't get overly freaked out about doing everything absolutely correctly at first. Just have fun and drink some good coffee!
TheHiker

Post by TheHiker »

I use Aeropress because of how quick and easy it is.
A cheap Bodum burr grinder works fine with it (it would be totally useless for an espresso though).
zarci

Post by zarci »

Both me and my wife love a good cup of 'ol pour over coffee in the morning. We use a porcelain filter holder. Used plastic before ones but they tend to absorb some of the color and taste. Glass, stone or metal will probably last you longer.

If you're looking for a way to upgrade your homemade coffee then grinding your own beans is a great way to start! I personally didn't even purchase a grinder. Just asked the guy in the store to grind a batch of beans for me. This is also a bit more coffee-friendly since ground beans begin to lose their aroma after a few days. I usually ended up splitting a fresh batch with a friend.

Grinding your beans at home also solves the freshness/staleness problem by simply letting you grind small batches when you need them. Grinders come in three sizes:
  • blender-style cheap grinders. These just grind your beans to hell without worrying about grind size (diameter of the resulting coffee grounds)
  • conic stone grinders. More expensive and more consistent. This is probably good if you want to make espresso. Conic grinders are a bit more silent but lack good consistency of ground diameter
  • Flat stone grinders. Fancy and expensive. Great for making snobby espresso.

I'd suggest buying freshly ground coffee from a local store, or get a cheap and easy blender-style grinder to grind at home. Both will be a tremendous upgrade over pre-packaged coffee.

Also maybe get a cheap second hand drip coffee machine. The speed at which you pour water over your coffee will have an effect too. Drip coffee machines are cheap and effective
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

TSR wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:25 am I'll be slightly contrarian here and say that the Capresso Infinity should be considered the true entry-level burr grinder. If you've really never done the burr grinder thing, it will be pretty much everything you need, and it is significantly cheaper than the Baratza Encore. May not be the absolute best, but I've used it for years and it's more than adequate. I have no doubt the Baratza is good too.

Enjoy -- don't get overly freaked out about doing everything absolutely correctly at first. Just have fun and drink some good coffee!
We had a Capresso for several years until DW burned it out by grinding about 5 lbs at one sitting to take to her mother :annoyed

Replaced it with a Baratza Encore+. Huge step up. IMO the Capresso will fine for someone who has never ground beans and really wants an inexpensive burr grinder. If you want and expect more than that, the Encore+ is a no-brainer.
BH_RedRan

Post by BH_RedRan »

I used a Melita pour-over cone for about a year based on recommendations from friends. Then I bought an inexpensive plastic one for camping (roughing it...). I now use the plastic one all the time. The coffee just seems to come out better. At first I thought it was just the atmosphere, cool outdoor temperatures around the campfire etc. But it just makes better coffee for my taste. The difference, I think, is that it drains faster because it has three drain holes instead of one. Maybe I have been over-extracting with the one-holer.

Anyway, it's this one: "HIC Coffee Filter Cone, Red, Number 2-Size Filter, Brews 2 to 6-Cups". Not a piece of art but it works.

Also, I don't grind anymore. I use a local coffee roaster company that grinds and ships fresh.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

cogito wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:40 am After years of wasting time and money with garbage grinders, I went with the Baratza Encore on the recommendation of Wirecutter.

Should have done it years ago. 10/10
I bought my Baratza in 2008, we use it daily. I had to replace the internal gear once, in 2013, with parts shipped to me by the company. They posted a helpful YouTube video on how to do it. We’re happy.
sid hartha

Post by sid hartha »

I like my Bee House dripper very much. Easy to use, consistent, very forgiving of technique, and filters are easy to find. I have the large one. I think the small is too small. That said the Hario V60, Chemex and Kalita 185 are probably also good options. But they all use proprietary filters where the Bee House uses Melitta which are easy to find and cheap.

Baratza Encore Is a good grinder as others have said. Or you could find a local roaster and ask them to grind. That’s what I do these days. I also put the grounds in a coffee container with a valve that lets the CO2 out.

You should also get a scale and gooseneck kettle. They are cheap but imo vital to pour over brewing.
Last edited by sid hartha on Tue May 04, 2021 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sid hartha

Post by sid hartha »

Volando wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:30 am Baratza encore is usually the recommended grinder for entry (and beyond even). Myself I got the oxo grinder that was linked earlier only because target had a fantastic sale on it. I think I got $50 off when I purchased it. It works really well and I have had zero problems with it over almost two years.

As far as pour over if you want something simple I use the bee house (https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/zero ... bkk-15l-wh) and it works just fine for me. It uses regular filters you can get at the grocery store and from what I’ve read requires less technique to make good coffee (not sure how true that is since I mainly use the bee house). I also have a Chemex which makes fantastic coffee. Unfortunately, that uses special filters which can be a little pricey.

For larger groups I have a Braun drip coffee maker that works well for larger pots.
How would you compare the Chemex to the Bee House?
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

Mellita has a Burr grinder and pot with matching pour over funnel. They also sell paper filters. I just use foldgers lately, it has caffeine same as others and saves me from waking the baby in the am. Still doing pour over with my foldgers since I don't have a coffee maker.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
Volando

Post by Volando »

sid hartha wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:15 pm
Volando wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:30 am Baratza encore is usually the recommended grinder for entry (and beyond even). Myself I got the oxo grinder that was linked earlier only because target had a fantastic sale on it. I think I got $50 off when I purchased it. It works really well and I have had zero problems with it over almost two years.

It's a little hard for me to describe but I would say that the chemex produces a "cleaner" cup. By that I mean I feel that I get more of the complex coffee flavors without some of the more bitter elements that you sometimes get from other methods. I believe this has more to do with the filter that it uses than the device itself. If you have really good, fresh beans that are roasted well I feel that it lets the flavors shine more than the bee house. The other bonus with the chemex is that you can get larger sizes that let you brew a larger quantity (though not as much as a drip maker), which is nice if you enjoy a larger cup or more than 1 standard cup at a time. However, imo bee house is simpler to use and clean and produces a nice cup of coffee.
sid hartha

Post by sid hartha »

Volando wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:36 am
sid hartha wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:15 pm

It's a little hard for me to describe but I would say that the chemex produces a "cleaner" cup. By that I mean I feel that I get more of the complex coffee flavors without some of the more bitter elements that you sometimes get from other methods. I believe this has more to do with the filter that it uses than the device itself. If you have really good, fresh beans that are roasted well I feel that it lets the flavors shine more than the bee house. The other bonus with the chemex is that you can get larger sizes that let you brew a larger quantity (though not as much as a drip maker), which is nice if you enjoy a larger cup or more than 1 standard cup at a time. However, imo bee house is simpler to use and clean and produces a nice cup of coffee.
Thank you that makes sense to me. I am very happy with the Bee House but would maybe someday like to try the Chemex for something different.
khangaroo

Post by khangaroo »

We use the grinder that is available at the grocery store lol

Lucky to be in Portland where the selection of coffee at the grocery stores is exquisite. I don't really get why having a grinder at home is necessary unless you're consuming a large quantity of coffee that exceeds your grocery store trips or if you're getting special beans delivered directly to your house so would love some insights on why people chose to get a grinder at home besides those 2 reasons. Need to know if I'm missing out on some amazing coffee experiences.
margaritaville

Post by margaritaville »

khangaroo wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:16 am I don't really get why having a grinder at home is necessary unless you're consuming a large quantity of coffee that exceeds your grocery store trips or if you're getting special beans delivered directly to your house so would love some insights on why people chose to get a grinder at home besides those 2 reasons.
I'd say the biggest reason to have a grinder at home is so that you can dial-in your grind size based on your brewing approach. It's critical for espresso, but can also make some pretty big differences for drip, pour over, or immersion brews. Grinding at the grocery store just doesn't give you the ability to experiment.
testing321

Post by testing321 »

Now if they could just invent a pour over maker with a tank for holding the water, a mechanism for boiling the water and a hot pad for keeping the coffee warm. ;>)
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

I just started getting into coffee and found this thread. All the suggestions are great and I started out with the plastic one-hole Melitta brewer. I have a couple friends who are into it and was lucky enough to get some free gear from them (high quality hand grinder, a chipped ceramic V60, and an Aeropress). I bought a Clever Dripper and a scale and am having fun experimenting with different brew methods and different beans.

The biggest difference for me was simply better and fresher beans. Previously I was buying the big back of Costco ground coffee. The improvement is not huge from everything else, although I am surprised with how good Tetsu's 4:6 V60 brewing method tasted compared to the Hoffmann recipe I was following and can't figure out why yet.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

I have a red silicone coffee dripper that uses a #2 filter. It is cute. I'm clumsy in the morning and this way I won't have a mess of broken glass to deal with.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051 ... UTF8&psc=1

I love this grinder. I can set it to the grind I want, push the button, and it turns off on its own. Removable cup makes it a lot easier to tap on the counter to loosen the coffee and pour into the filter.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08JC ... UTF8&psc=1

I used Peet's Major Dickason coffee beans and now I'm using the Trader Joe's organic breakfast blend. I thought both were fine. Honestly, even pre-ground coffee made via pourover makes much better coffee than the pods I was using.

I had a cool-looking borosilicate measuring cup that I used to heat the water in the microwave but it cracked after just a few months (and I hadn't dropped it). Too bad, I liked the precise pour spout on it.
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

Haven't used Baratza, but Breville makes a terrific grinder. Really even grind, built like a tank, been using for years without a hitch.

https://www.breville.com/us/en/products ... cg820.html

For pourover: Bee House, with melita filter paper

https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/zero ... bkk-15l-wh
Rotarman

Post by Rotarman »

I looked into this extensively at one point and found multiple small blinded studies performed that showed people cannot taste the difference between Burr and blade grinders. These were usually on dedicated coffee afficianado blogs with people that should be in the upper percentiles of refined coffee palates. The only reason I see to get a Burr grinder is for an Espresso machine where the even and reliable grind gets you a better puck and better results.

A quick Google search reveals this one for instance
https://4alltaste.com/receita/equipment ... inders-p24
anil686

Post by anil686 »

A chorreador - a traditional way of making coffee from Costa Rica. Literally makes the best coffee I have ever had - super smooth. Bought a few there and brought them home but you can buy them (of course) from amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/Chorreador-Handm ... 809&sr=8-6
riverant

Post by riverant »

I have an LZpresso pro manual grinder with a chemex. Super clean cup and the grinder is quiet compared to an electric, which is a necessity with two small kids. You can get creative with different chemex “recipes” but I found a consistent easy method I stick with.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

We use a typical, Cuisinart grinder for about $25. The Baratza would be for those who put much more importance on that morning cup of java at several hundred dollars. Curious: Do those with a Baratza consider themselves to be typical coffee drinkers, or is this just another indication of my lack of sophistication? :happy

Tim
Doc7

Post by Doc7 »

Nowizard wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:41 am We use a typical, Cuisinart grinder for about $25. The Baratza would be for those who put much more importance on that morning cup of java at several hundred dollars. Curious: Do those with a Baratza consider themselves to be typical coffee drinkers, or is this just another indication of my lack of sophistication? :happy

Tim

I feel like a normal coffee drinker, my baratza was only a few dollars north of $100,
And unlike a blade grinder, I throw the beans in and can change the filter, add water to whatever (the electric kettle or the Bonavita reservoir), while the beans are ground to exact same grind every day. Blade grinder takes a lot more work (timing it consistently etc).
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

Blade grinder makes a mess. With the burr grinder, I put the filter right under the out spout, and the ground coffee goes straight into the filter. Also, beans are already in the hopper, ready to go. Neat. Quick. Convenient.
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

Rotarman wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:20 am I looked into this extensively at one point and found multiple small blinded studies performed that showed people cannot taste the difference between Burr and blade grinders. These were usually on dedicated coffee afficianado blogs with people that should be in the upper percentiles of refined coffee palates. The only reason I see to get a Burr grinder is for an Espresso machine where the even and reliable grind gets you a better puck and better results.

A quick Google search reveals this one for instance
https://4alltaste.com/receita/equipment ... inders-p24
TJat wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 7:43 am I have an LZpresso pro manual grinder with a chemex. Super clean cup and the grinder is quiet compared to an electric, which is a necessity with two small kids. You can get creative with different chemex “recipes” but I found a consistent easy method I stick with.
I've had a Baratza Encore for at least a decade. At first, I was convinced grinding the beans fresh everyday made a big difference in coffee taste. Then I had kids and was either waking up people with the noise or dampening the sound by grinding in a cabinet.

For the past couple years I've been purchasing freshly-roasted beans locally and having them ground in the shop. I drink it black and can't taste the difference. At all. Neither can my wife.

As others have mentioned, I think a high-end burr grinder would be reasonable for espresso makers, but this n of 1 says it doesn't matter for manual or automatic drip.