Technology Question

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CrazyCatLady

Technology Question

Post by CrazyCatLady »

I'm looking for an iPad-like device (any brand, I'm not tied to apple) that will let me review a PDF document and has a pen that will let me both write on the document (mostly in the margins, but some underlining) and highlight portions of the document just by running the pen over the text (not having to drag circles in the screen) and will then save the document as a new PDF (so when I go back to review, my comments and highlights remain and I can email it to myself so I can review on my office computer). Does such a device exist and what is it?

And related question - if I have between $3,000-$4,000 per month that I put in a taxable acct (and fully max available retirement accounts), how much can I justify paying for this device?

Thanks in advance!
DSInvestor

Re: Technology Question

Post by DSInvestor »

Apple Pencil is supported on every current iPad so you do not have to spend a lot of money on an iPad to get pencil support. The baseline iPad costs $329.

Wirecutter on iPad:
https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... st-tablet/

There are lots of PDF annotation apps available for iPad:
https://www.imore.com/best-pdf-apps-ipad
Wiki
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

CrazyCatLady wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:06 am I'm looking for an iPad-like device (any brand, I'm not tied to apple) that will let me review a PDF document and has a pen that will let me both write on the document (mostly in the margins, but some underlining) and highlight portions of the document just by running the pen over the text (not having to drag circles in the screen) and will then save the document as a new PDF (so when I go back to review, my comments and highlights remain and I can email it to myself so I can review on my office computer). Does such a device exist and what is it?

And related question - if I have between $3,000-$4,000 per month that I put in a taxable acct (and fully max available retirement accounts), how much can I justify paying for this device?

Thanks in advance!
I think the pdf - editing and signing are software app issues. I’ve signed documents on my first generation iPad Pro. I was using a Safari browser than must have had a browser extension. I also believe there is an Adobe app that allows for what you want.

I don’t know about other tablets.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

If you are not tied to iPads, take a look at the Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 with S Pen.
Depending on internal memory, it can cost from $800 to $1000.
Your employer may belong to a EPP with Samsung.com and give you a discount.
Topic Author
CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady »

Thanks everyone, I will check those out! If anyone else has any suggestions (or feedback on a product), please keep them coming. Price is relevant, but I think I can afford to be flexible. It's more important to get exactly what I need, even if it costs a little more.

Edit: when I looked before I could a pen that would write, but none that would highlight. That was always my sticking point.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

How to annotate a PDF or screenshot with your S Pen 1:19

[Link formatted by moderator oldcomputerguy]
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

This topic is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Topic Author
CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady »

Nyc10036 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:39 am How to annotate a PDF or screenshot with your S Pen 1:19

Thanks, that is helpful! Now I am torn between the iPad (using the software in the link posted above with the Apple pencil) and the s7 and s pen. Do you have the s7? Do you like it? Thanks!
Colorado Guy

Post by Colorado Guy »

To minimize tech conflicts, suggest that you stay with the same family (Microsoft or Apple) as your other computer equipment and perhaps phone.

Whatever you purchase, suggest a keyboard option. I purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro, with a pen and a keyboard. Due to the magic of Windows software (sometimes good, sometimes not so much), it aligns the Surface Pro with my desktop unit, so I have the same internet bookmarks, and I can use the mail system on either unit. The keyboard is detachable for when I want to just use the screen portion.

Go either to a computer store or even a Costco to see what these options look like, and what works for you.
sport

Post by sport »

Nyc10036 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:52 am If you are not tied to iPads, take a look at the Samsung Galaxy Tab S7 with S Pen.
Depending on internal memory, it can cost from $800 to $1000.
Your employer may belong to a EPP with Samsung.com and give you a discount.
Less expensive for Costco members: https://www.costco.com/CatalogSearch?de ... axy+tab+s7
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

An ipad makes the most sense if you already have other apple devices, particularly a iphone.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

CrazyCatLady wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:28 pm
Nyc10036 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:39 am How to annotate a PDF or screenshot with your S Pen 1:19

Thanks, that is helpful! Now I am torn between the iPad (using the software in the link posted above with the Apple pencil) and the s7 and s pen. Do you have the s7? Do you like it? Thanks!
Sorry. I don't have the S7 with the S Pen. :(

But I agree about staying within the Apple sphere if you have other Apple devices.

F150HD

Post by F150HD »

CrazyCatLady wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:06 am I'm looking for an iPad-like device (any brand, I'm not tied to apple) that will let me review a PDF document and has a pen that will let me both write on the document (mostly in the margins, but some underlining) and highlight portions of the document just by running the pen over the text (not having to drag circles in the screen) and will then save the document as a new PDF (so when I go back to review, my comments and highlights remain and I can email it to myself so I can review on my office computer). Does such a device exist and what is it?
if you end up in Apple territory, this is a stellar program and would do exactly what you need.

Notability - https://www.gingerlabs.com/
GO-UK

Post by GO-UK »

I would vote for a Microsoft Surface (use the pen) with the Drawboard PDF app. I used this setup extensively to do exactly as you described and it is a much better experience than annotating and marking up on a traditional PC using Adobe or similar applications.
onourway

Post by onourway »

The iPad is bar-none the best device available at any price for this. The experience with the Pencil is completely reliable and accurate at any size, screen orientation, or location on the screen. It’s actually *more* reliable for me than pencil and paper.

If you are just marking PDF’s you can save a little bit and buy a stylus like this which will be just as accurate as the official Pencil, but won’t have pressure sensitivity. Make sure it’s a stylus compatible with this specific list of iPads - not every iPad - and you’ll be good.
Topic Author
CrazyCatLady

Post by CrazyCatLady »

Thanks everyone, you all have given me a lot to think about!