Replacement windows

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
knibloe

Replacement windows

Post by knibloe »

My home is is need of replacement windows. It was built in the 1830's. Not really sure how old the current windows are. At least 100 years. The last couple I did, I pulled the old wood frames out and put new construction windows in. I used Anderson windows: Vinyl outside, wood frames, wood on the inside. I like them. Anyone here have thoughts on them or other windows? This home has been in the family since it was built. I don't plan on moving so I want a product that I will not have to replace in the next 30-40 years.
il0kin

Re: Replacement windows

Post by il0kin »

This was a very useful writeup when I began researching replacement windows. I followed the brand recommendation listed and was very pleased with the price and quality of the windows, they were less expensive than big box stores and the contractor who installed them commented that they were better quality than most of what he sees. They are only a few months old so I guess ask me in 10 years how I feel about them but so far, so good :happy

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeImprovemen ... re_i_have/
Last edited by il0kin on Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

I've been thinking about this on and off for 30 years. My spouse likes to sleep with open windows. For fresh air. Even a window partially open leaks more heat than a closed leaky window. Spouse wants to replace windows with ones that don't leak. I'm still trying to figure out how this makes sense
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

If your current windows are original to the home, before replacing them consider getting feedback as to how window replacement (rather than refurbishing the original windows) will impact selling the house in the future. Some buyers of historical homes (if yours can be described that way) are purists and will want original windows.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

knibloe wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:30 amI used Anderson windows

I want a product that I will not have to replace in the next 30-40 years.
Andersen windows are nice. But 40 years is a long time.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

My 1938 house still has the original windows, just with galvanized storm windows added over them in the 70s. They are in good shape, except that the internal weights don't work so you have to keep them open by propping them with wooden poles, which isn't a big deal to me.

What's your complaint with the old windows? Are they letting cold air in? Fungus on the glass? Or just hard to open?
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
Topic Author
knibloe

Post by knibloe »

homebuyer6426 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:52 am My 1938 house still has the original windows, just with galvanized storm windows added over them in the 70s. They are in good shape, except that the internal weights don't work so you have to keep them open by propping them with wooden poles, which isn't a big deal to me.

What's your complaint with the old windows? Are they letting cold air in? Fungus on the glass? Or just hard to open?
The windows are old enough that they do not have weights. They are single pane, the wood frames have seem much better days. They sweat so they get damp and have mildew on the inside. hard to open, and leak air around the sashes like crazy. Plus they offer no noise protection from the outside and I woudl like to have that.
Topic Author
knibloe

Post by knibloe »

JoeRetire wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:17 am

Yes 40 years is a long time. So I am not adverse to paying for a good window. Just need to know which ones will/might last that long.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

We replaced most of our windows with “Renewal by Andersen” and we love them. We paid a pretty penny but it was worth it. We noticed that when the polar vortex weather pattern hit in January 2019 there was not a hint of frost on the inside, and the temperature dropped to -27F. We’ve had them twelve years.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

knibloe wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:04 pm Yes 40 years is a long time. So I am not adverse to paying for a good window. Just need to know which ones will/might last that long.
Consider checking with your town to see if a permit and inspection are required and whether there are any code changes you need to comply with.

We installed Jeld Wen windows ~12 years ago throughout our 50-year old house (at the time). Vinyl clad exterior, wood clad interior. We like them and they are easy to clean. A permit and inspection was required by our town. Due to building code changes for egress, we had to install taller double-hung windows in all bedrooms. We increased all window heights to match. Glad we had a good contractor as the height change made the reframing more involved and all interior trim had to be replaced. During construction I took the opportunity to stuff extra insulation around all frames to reduce air leaks and sound transmission.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

knibloe wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:04 pm
JoeRetire wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:17 am

Yes 40 years is a long time. So I am not adverse to paying for a good window. Just need to know which ones will/might last that long.
Unless you find a manufacturer who will guarantee their product for 40 years (and who will actually be around in 40 years), you won't know the answer for a long time.

My suggestion, purchase Andersen windows. They will last a long time and might be guaranteed for up to 15 years. Check back in after 40 years and tell us how it worked out.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Some of our windows needed replacing, and since they were very large double paned glass, we went with triple pane where we could (and heavily engineered double pane where it was wasn’t).

We used a combination of Pelle and Marvin, and I have to say that I much prefer the Marvin. Triple glazed makes more difference than I thought it would, even over double glazed.

Compared to our very drafty NJ single pane (most of it from 1920s) windows, the comfort of standing near a triple glazed window even during a MA winter is wonderful. They are expensive, but yolo.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

My parents put in Milgard windows into their house when they remodelled in 1995 when they sold in 2020, only one window had failed.

They called Milgard, which came out and put in new glass in the window and told them to have a nice day. My parents asked what is the charge, and they said your windows are warrantied, so there is no charge. While my parents cognitively knew they had a warranty, they didn't really expect it to cover the glass 25 years later... but it did.

I will personally buy Milgard windows if i'm in their operating region...
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
old medic

Post by old medic »

We went with Reliabuilt 455 double hung new construction windows for our major remodel. No complaints here.
jtelwood

Post by jtelwood »

Where is your house located, ie. on the coast, in the montains, etc.?
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

a few points.

My parents put in Anderson windows in their home about 20-25 years ago, and they still are in great working condition.
We put in Anderson windows in our home recently. We went with the E-400 series. I like them, they work great, and look great, but honestly, for the money I'm surprised that they are not perfect. What I mean, edges may have a tiny offset that you notice if you get close. The latches which we upgraded to a brushed nickel are not completely even and offset by 0.5mm. It is not a big deal, but for the money I guess I expected more.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
Topic Author
knibloe

Post by knibloe »

I live in western NY about an hour south of Buffalo. Just out of the major snow belt. In regards to zoning and permits. As I undersatand it, if I put them in, I can get away w/o a permit. If I hire a contractor, I will have to go through the whole hassle. I have put in several new windows already on the back side of the house, but there are 9 windows on the front that I want to look nice and get put in quicker rather than one at a time.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

knibloe wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:40 pm I live in western NY about an hour south of Buffalo. Just out of the major snow belt. In regards to zoning and permits. As I undersatand it, if I put them in, I can get away w/o a permit. If I hire a contractor, I will have to go through the whole hassle. I have put in several new windows already on the back side of the house, but there are 9 windows on the front that I want to look nice and get put in quicker rather than one at a time.
Interesting that you bring permits up; I wouldn't have thought you'd need a permit for windows in most locations, contractor or otherwise. I can see things like historical properties being an exception of course.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

knibloe wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:40 pm I live in western NY about an hour south of Buffalo. Just out of the major snow belt. In regards to zoning and permits. As I undersatand it, if I put them in, I can get away w/o a permit. If I hire a contractor, I will have to go through the whole hassle. I have put in several new windows already on the back side of the house, but there are 9 windows on the front that I want to look nice and get put in quicker rather than one at a time.
Ask the contractor about doing all the permit work - we've used local contractors here in NJ and they knew all the inspection guys - no issues or hassles.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Ask the contractor about doing all the permit work - we've used local contractors here in NJ and they knew all the inspection guys - no issues or hassles. We needed inspector for our windows but that was due to lead issues for the 50 year old windows we had