Do you tip your hibachi chef?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Pete12

Do you tip your hibachi chef?

Post by Pete12 »

We went out for hibachi last night. It was the first time in ages we had gone for a sit down dinner indoors at a restaurant given covid going on. The hibachi chef did a very nice job. He did some juggling with the cooking utensils, tossed the shrimp around acrobatically, and the onion volcano was fantastic. When the bill came I tipped 20% and the waitress seemed happy with it. Now today I am thinking- should I have also given the hibachi chef a few dollars? I’m kind of hoping that the chefs share in the tips but having looked up this topic on Google it seems there is some debate. Now I’m second-guessing myself and feel bad. What do other Bogleheads do in this situation?
Trader Joe

Re: Do you tip your hibachi chef?

Post by Trader Joe »

Pete12 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:14 pm We went out for hibachi last night. It was the first time in ages we had gone for a sit down dinner indoors at a restaurant given covid going on. The hibachi chef did a very nice job. He did some juggling with the cooking utensils, tossed the shrimp around acrobatically, and the onion volcano was fantastic. When the bill came I tipped 20% and the waitress seemed happy with it. Now today I am thinking- should I have also given the hibachi chef a few dollars? I’m kind of hoping that the chefs share in the tips but having looked up this topic on Google it seems there is some debate. Now I’m second-guessing myself and feel bad. What do other Bogleheads do in this situation?
No, I never tip the Hibachi chef.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

I wonder whether the wait staff and the chefs pool their tips.

Maybe somebody who’s worked in a hibachi restaurant could tell us.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Mlm

Post by Mlm »

No, but I might write them a personal letter
Mary
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

Just like Google said. It is debatable.
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

I don't.

First, it's unseemly to me to tip the chef at an cooking entertainment venue at a table with 12 people watching.

Second, he just finished putting the food on our plates and I don't want to reach into my wallet for dirty money with fresh hot food sitting in front of me.

Third, he's going to start cleaning the hibachi, he has a cart with dirty plates by him, his hands are now dirty, and he probably has no place to put the cash at the moment.

Fourth, he's going to move onto the next table for the next dinner seating.

I expect him to get his share of the tips at the end of the evening.

-B
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

I think it's a fair assumption that the chef shares the tips received on the bill at such places. They aren't merely cooking orders in a back room, but actively serving you. As such, I would be very disappointed to learn my credit card tip was only going to the waitstaff.
The_Junior_Mint

Post by The_Junior_Mint »

I worked in a hibachi restaurant during high school. Tips were pooled among all the servers and chefs.
Impatience

Post by Impatience »

Barsoom wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:38 pm I don't.

First, it's unseemly to me to tip the chef at an cooking entertainment venue at a table with 12 people watching.

Second, he just finished putting the food on our plates and I don't want to reach into my wallet for dirty money with fresh hot food sitting in front of me.

Third, he's going to start cleaning the hibachi, he has a cart with dirty plates by him, his hands are now dirty, and he probably has no place to put the cash at the moment.

Fourth, he's going to move onto the next table for the next dinner seating.

I expect him to get his share of the tips at the end of the evening.

-B
Your words are ash in the ears of the Hibachi chef. He hears only excuses!
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Pete12 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:14 pm We went out for hibachi last night. It was the first time in ages we had gone for a sit down dinner indoors at a restaurant given covid going on. The hibachi chef did a very nice job. He did some juggling with the cooking utensils, tossed the shrimp around acrobatically, and the onion volcano was fantastic. When the bill came I tipped 20% and the waitress seemed happy with it. Now today I am thinking- should I have also given the hibachi chef a few dollars? I’m kind of hoping that the chefs share in the tips but having looked up this topic on Google it seems there is some debate. Now I’m second-guessing myself and feel bad. What do other Bogleheads do in this situation?
Do you mean teppanyaki?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teppanyaki

A hibachi is a little teensy portable charcoal BBQ grill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibachi

As for tipping, in America, I tip them the same as I tip a sushi chef if sitting at the sushi bar
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

And I was enjoying the lull in tipping threads.

All good things must come to an end, I guess.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

Impatience wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:01 pm Your words are ash in the ears of the Hibachi chef. He hears only excuses!
I think I read that once... in a fortune cookie that the Hibachi Chef gave me! (no wait, that must have been a Chinese chef)

-B
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

I'd hope they receive a share of the tips since they are doing more than a chef in a traditional restaurant would do, but I don't tip the waiter and chef separately.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

The teppanyaki place I have gone to requires a minimum number of people to be seated and they have a mandatory tip added to the bill... so no. Mostly I prefer sitting on the other side where I can order the same food but not have to watch the same old onion volcano/shrimp toss routine.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

lthenderson wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:43 am The teppanyaki place I have gone to requires a minimum number of people to be seated and they have a mandatory tip added to the bill... so no. Mostly I prefer sitting on the other side where I can order the same food but not have to watch the same old onion volcano/shrimp toss routine.
Yeah, once you've seen half a dozen onion volcanos the thrill is gone.
Global stocks, IG/HY bonds, gold & digital assets at market weights 75% / 19% / 6% || LMP: TIPS ladder
davemanjam

Post by davemanjam »

I mean, I tip a little higher on the bill than typical for the service.
I've never seen anyone personally hand the chef money in these types of places.
I assumed the chef was getting a portion/majority of the tip as the waitress does very little.
Topic Author
Pete12

Post by Pete12 »

watchnerd wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:05 pm Do you mean teppanyaki?

No, I mean hibachi, as teppanyaki is commonly known in the United States.
watchnerd wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:05 pm As for tipping, in America, I tip them the same as I tip a sushi chef if sitting at the sushi bar
How much do you tip your sushi chef?
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

watchnerd wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:05 pm
Do you mean teppanyaki?

From your Wikipedia link: "Teppanyaki (鉄板焼き, teppan-yaki), also known in some countries as Hibachi"

I get it, but right or wrong, hibachi style means a Japanese chef cooking at your table in the US. The restaurants themselves are the ones using the word... not just ignorant American customers.

I suppose it's a bit like a Southerner being invited to a BBQ in California and finding out that all they're doing is grilling hamburgers.
Rudedog

Post by Rudedog »

I hand the chef $ 5 cash, the other couple we go with does this too. Then 15% on the check.
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

Pooled tips?
Yeah, right. I can’t imagine that such a thing is fair and equitable knowing the propensity of people to lie, fudge and steal when money is involved.
trigger08

Post by trigger08 »

My spouse worked at a hibachi/teppanyaki restaurant for a while. People there usually tipped the chef directly after the show as they were packing up to move to the next grill, and the servers split a percentage of their tips with the chef as well. It generally worked fine, except for the fact that people often tipped the servers less because they were not seen as doing as much "work" as servers in other restaurants, disregarding the fact that the servers were still being paid the $2/hour "server" minimum wage or whatever it was then.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

dukeblue219 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:24 pm
watchnerd wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:05 pm
Do you mean teppanyaki?

From your Wikipedia link: "Teppanyaki (鉄板焼き, teppan-yaki), also known in some countries as Hibachi"

I get it, but right or wrong, hibachi style means a Japanese chef cooking at your table in the US. The restaurants themselves are the ones using the word... not just ignorant American customers.

I suppose it's a bit like a Southerner being invited to a BBQ in California and finding out that all they're doing is grilling hamburgers.
At one time the distinction was accurate, but nowadays, hibachi is also a style and/or a name for a restaurant serving that style. Google "hibachi near me" and see what comes. Then search Amazon for hibachi and you can buy a grill.
Teague

Post by Teague »

Maybe wrap a few bills into a cone and set it on fire?
Semper Augustus