Going from TSA PreCheck to Global Entry

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CardinalRule

Going from TSA PreCheck to Global Entry

Post by CardinalRule »

DW and I have not done any travel (other than by car) since the pandemic began, but we recently received emails reminding us of upcoming expiration of our TSA PreCheck memberships:

This is a reminder that your TSA PreCheck membership is about to expire on 08/10/2021. You can renew up to 6 months in advance of your expiration without losing time on your membership and most members can renew entirely online.

We have determined that the $100 Global Entry actually makes more sense than the $85 TSA PreCheck for us, especially if international travel starts to normalize this year, and it appears that we cannot apply our unexpired TSA PreCheck time to Global Entry (i.e., they are completely different programs). And so we'll wait a little while and then apply for Global Entry. Which leads to my question - any experiences with or insight into how long the Global Entry process takes these days?
quantAndHold

Re: Going from TSA PreCheck to Global Entry

Post by quantAndHold »

It’s random. Wife and I both renewed our Global Entry on the same day last summer. Mine was approved instantly, and I had the card in hand in less than two weeks. Wife’s sat in limbo for ten months, then she got conditional approval, and needs an interview. There is basically no way to schedule an interview, all of the interview stations are closed for COVID except for two that are in really random places 1000+ miles away from us. The only way to get an interview right now is to leave the country, then do it in the airport when returning to the US.

If you’re primarily planning to use it for the precheck, you might be better off right now just renewing the precheck.

I’ll also add that our backgrounds likely had nothing to do with the disposition of our applications. My wife is a senior citizen who has led a faultless life. My background is fairly colorful. My application flying through while hers was held up was interesting, to say the least.
Last edited by quantAndHold on Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
diy60

Post by diy60 »

Not what you're asking, but I think I read somewhere that Customs and Border Protection is extending the expiration of existing GE passes to 7 years if an application for renewal is made before the pass expires. I'm actually going the other way. My GE pass expires this year and I have opted to get a new TSA Precheck instead or renewing GE. Spouse and I have been traveling with other sibling couples, none of whom have GE let alone TSA Precheck. It's just not a big deal for us. Anyway good luck.
Iorek

Post by Iorek »

Yes, it appears to be very random, with people reporting anywhere from a day to nine months or more from application to conditional approval (and then you need to schedule an interview).

I think they are now giving 2 years for you to get an interview after conditional approval so I would probably go ahead and apply now and hope it gets all sorted out before August or your next int’l trip. Sometimes the easiest way to get an interview is to do interview on arrival when you are coming back into the country.

If you want more I’d look over on flyertalk, eg—

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted ... s-128.html
tfunk

Post by tfunk »

We applied for renewal this past week. Conditional approval took 24 hours and we have interviews set up for June. Many interview slots were available.

You asked about getting a new Global Entry though. The Global Entry website states the following for new applicants:

Current Global Entry application processing times:
For new Global Entry applicants, the processing time for an application can exceed 90 days. A full background check will be completed to ensure our potential members qualify for expedited processing into the United States.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Iorek wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:31 pm Yes, it appears to be very random, with people reporting anywhere from a day to nine months or more from application to conditional approval (and then you need to schedule an interview).

I think they are now giving 2 years for you to get an interview after conditional approval so I would probably go ahead and apply now and hope it gets all sorted out before August or your next int’l trip. Sometimes the easiest way to get an interview is to do interview on arrival when you are coming back into the country.

If you want more I’d look over on flyertalk, eg—

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted ... s-128.html
Yes, they are giving 2 years for the interview right now, and extending current GE accounts an extra year. For OP’s situation, though, I could see a problem where their Precheck expires this August, but they don’t have any international trips scheduled until sometime later in 2022, so they can’t complete the interview and get final approval. So there’ll be a gap where they have to take off their shoes to fly domestically. Not the worst of problems, but still.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

tfunk wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:44 pm We applied for renewal this past week. Conditional approval took 24 hours and we have interviews set up for June. Many interview slots were available.
After I read this, I tried to go back in and get an appointment for my wife. There was an appointment at our local interview site in April....of 2022. While I was sitting there doing the mental calculations about whether I should actually take the appointment...it disappeared, and the only appointment available on the entire west coast was in San Francisco. Also in 2022.
MandyT

Post by MandyT »

I don't have any specific information, but, since no one has mentioned it yet, I wanted to point out that Global Entry always expires on your birthday (unlike Precheck). So the best time to be approved is right after your birthday (you'd get nearly six years) and the worst time is right before your birthday (I'm guessing that approval on your birthday would be included here). On the off-chance that you end up with conditional approval with a choice of interview slots before and after your birthday, take the one after (all other things being equal).
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

Even better, sign up for Nexus.

Nexus is $50, good for five years, and includes Pre Check and Global Entry privileges. Need to interview at specified locations along US/Canada border.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

criticalmass wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:32 pm Even better, sign up for Nexus.

Nexus is $50, good for five years, and includes Pre Check and Global Entry privileges. Need to interview at specified locations along US/Canada border.
I don't believe this is quite true. According to the DHS website, while Nexus does include TSA Precheck which gets you expedited departure privileges, it only gets you entry privileges into the US if you're coming from Canada. Coming into the US from other countries, it does not, you still need Global Entry.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:55 pm

I don't believe this is quite true. According to the DHS website, while Nexus does include TSA Precheck which gets you expedited departure privileges, it only gets you entry privileges into the US if you're coming from Canada. Coming into the US from other countries, it does not, you still need Global Entry.
If CBP has diminished the benefits of Nexus, it's been in the last few years. Previously we could use Nexus at Global Entry on flights entering the US, at least from Europe, Mexico, and western Asia.
Tribonian

Post by Tribonian »

Everything about the GE application was quick- except getting the interview. Rather than schedule, I just interviewed with CBP upon arrival. The officer asked 2 maybe 3 questions. I’d consider flying into a port of entry with lower volumes if you have to connect anyway. I flew into PHX instead of LAX.
metacritic

Post by metacritic »

When I look at the Global Entry program they indicate that it includes Pre Check Privileges. I can't recall if that's right but they say just that on the website. Costs double the program you cite, however.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

Another option is to renew pre-check and use the Mobile Passport app. As long as it's accepted at your airport of entry, it's a great free solution (there are paid upgrades).
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

metacritic wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:24 pm When I look at the Global Entry program they indicate that it includes Pre Check Privileges. I can't recall if that's right but they say just that on the website. Costs double the program you cite, however.
Global Entry does include TSA Precheck privileges, I've used it in that capacity on multiple occasions, most recently last September.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

criticalmass wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:14 pm

If CBP has diminished the benefits of Nexus, it's been in the last few years. Previously we could use Nexus at Global Entry on flights entering the US, at least from Europe, Mexico, and western Asia.
Nexus still includes Global Entry privileges. You have to ensure that CBP has your fingerprints registered.
https://ttp.cbp.dhs.gov/faq?lang=en

seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

CardinalRule wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:02 pm DW and I have not done any travel (other than by car) since the pandemic began, but we recently received emails reminding us of upcoming expiration of our TSA PreCheck memberships:

This is a reminder that your TSA PreCheck membership is about to expire on 08/10/2021. You can renew up to 6 months in advance of your expiration without losing time on your membership and most members can renew entirely online.

We have determined that the $100 Global Entry actually makes more sense than the $85 TSA PreCheck for us, especially if international travel starts to normalize this year, and it appears that we cannot apply our unexpired TSA PreCheck time to Global Entry (i.e., they are completely different programs). And so we'll wait a little while and then apply for Global Entry. Which leads to my question - any experiences with or insight into how long the Global Entry process takes these days?
If you are seriously considering, apply now. Getting an interview is going to take time and an increase to the application fee is in the works.

CBP is offering remote interview via Zoom but that’s only for renewals.

NEXUS includes GE.
Topic Author
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Things must be getting a little more normalized in terms of timelines.

With my TSA Precheck membership expiring on August 10, 2021, I decided to go ahead and apply for Global Entry on April 15.

I received an email from DHS on May 21 advising me of a "status change" in my application, and when I logged in I saw that I had been "conditionally approved." There was an interview opportunity as soon as May 27 in my area (Seattle), but I ended up scheduling on June 19 for Saturday convenience.

Pretty happy about this. :beer I probably could have scheduled out a few more months (after a birthday), but I want to get it out of the way. The DHS TTP (Trusted Traveler Program) dashboard for my accounts says I have 730 days after conditional approval to complete enrollment.
daektr

Post by daektr »

I have Global Entry but I chose to get the rest of my family Precheck. The reasons were:

1) interviews for Precheck are way crazy easier to book and also much closer
2) I didn't even use Global Entry last time I came in international -- I used the Mobile Passport app. That is even faster than global entry because you can fill it out on the plane or in line immediately afterwards - and you just walk through (don't need to wait for and use a Global Entry kiosk).

So - in my experience so far, Global Entry: 1) Costs a bit more, 2) is significantly more inconvenient to enroll in, and 3) doesn't in practice have any benefit when arriving at an international terminal anyway. Maybe (?) for a car crossing it'd make a difference? I don't know about that.
orlandoman

Post by orlandoman »

bluebolt wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:58 pm Another option is to renew pre-check and use the Mobile Passport app. As long as it's accepted at your airport of entry, it's a great free solution (there are paid upgrades).
On my last international trip back from Costa Rica, I got through U.S. Customs quicker with TSA Pre-Check & Mobile Passport than the other travelers in our group that had Global Entry. Mobile Passport is free.
"Borrow money from pessimists -- they don't expect it back"
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

MPC is a hit or miss. There are indications some airports no longer support it. At some locations inspection is done by same officer working GE lane as well and in one instance (pre Covid) the CBP officer ignored the MPC line despite a queue of >6 ppl until everyone in GE queue was inspected first.

Other times there is a queue for GE kiosk so if you have MPC you would have gotten out faster.

Another time no one is working MPC queue at all, GE officer entirely focused on GE and US citizen using APC kiosk was faster than MPC as the MPC queue was effectively orphaned by CBP.

YMMV
Osterix

Post by Osterix »

seawolf21 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:10 am MPC is a hit or miss. There are indications some airports no longer support it. At some locations inspection is done by same officer working GE lane as well and in one instance (pre Covid) the CBP officer ignored the MPC line despite a queue of >6 ppl until everyone in GE queue was inspected first.

Other times there is a queue for GE kiosk so if you have MPC you would have gotten out faster.

Another time no one is working MPC queue at all, GE officer entirely focused on GE and US citizen using APC kiosk was faster than MPC as the MPC queue was effectively orphaned by CBP.

YMMV
What is MPC? Mobile Passport C….?
tj

Post by tj »

CBP is offering remote interview via Zoom but that’s only for renewals.
I've renewed twice, no interview, they just took my money and sent me a new card.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Osterix wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:24 am
seawolf21 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 11:10 am MPC is a hit or miss. There are indications some airports no longer support it. At some locations inspection is done by same officer working GE lane as well and in one instance (pre Covid) the CBP officer ignored the MPC line despite a queue of >6 ppl until everyone in GE queue was inspected first.

YMMV
What is MPC? Mobile Passport C….?
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/ ... rt-control
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

quantAndHold wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:07 pm After I read this, I tried to go back in and get an appointment for my wife. There was an appointment at our local interview site in April....of 2022. While I was sitting there doing the mental calculations about whether I should actually take the appointment...it disappeared, and the only appointment available on the entire west coast was in San Francisco. Also in 2022.
My experience: we became eligible for our (second) renewal in the fall of 2020. I filed for renewal for myself and my wife. Her application was pretty quickly conditionally approved, mine sat around until March of 2021 when it was also conditionally approved.

I checked for interview dates for our closest center (PDX) and there were none in 2021 available. But, it was easy to get one for SEA for May 2021 (or later). We had plans to travel to the Seattle area anyway for other reasons, so I picked up two appointments (scheduled mid April for mid May). The interviews were quick and painless and we subsequently received approval notices (now waiting for USPS to deliver new Global Entry cards). While we were there, I noticed that several other people in line said they had scheduled their appointments just that same morning.

I had considered doing Interview on Arrival after my next trip, but my connection time is actually pretty short at my next arrival.

It might be obvious, but I'll point it out anyway: many travel credit cards now offer reimbursement for GE or PreCheck fees. I have at least three such cards, so I used two different ones for my wife and myself and got reimbursed for both applications. In other words, the cardholder name doesn't have to match the applicant's name.
seawolf21 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:29 pm CBP is offering remote interview via Zoom but that’s only for renewals.
I looked at scheduling one of those for my wife a few times between October 2020 and April 2021 and never found a single available appointment slot.

Given that we both were renewals and had to do new fingerprints and photos during our in-person interview (second renewal; first one didn't require interview), I wonder if they would have just skipped those or if we were silently excluded from the Zoom option because of the need to capture new biometics to replace our 10-year-old photos and prints.
Topic Author
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Went for my interview at SEA this weekend and now I am approved and awaiting the card.

Interestingly there were two other people waiting for interviews who had come all the way from Portland due to lack of availability there, consistent with the post above.

The officer noted that my passport is expiring in early 2022; he told me that I would need to come back to the office (no appointment needed) to get is scanned, so that it gets associated with my Global Entry credentials.
Iorek

Post by Iorek »

CardinalRule wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:21 pm Went for my interview at SEA this weekend and now I am approved and awaiting the card.

Interestingly there were two other people waiting for interviews who had come all the way from Portland due to lack of availability there, consistent with the post above.

The officer noted that my passport is expiring in early 2022; he told me that I would need to come back to the office (no appointment needed) to get is scanned, so that it gets associated with my Global Entry credentials.
I think he is right your new passport needs to be in their system but I am pretty sure you can just do this online (assuming you remember your login credentials).
Topic Author
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Iorek wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:28 pm
CardinalRule wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:21 pm Went for my interview at SEA this weekend and now I am approved and awaiting the card.

I think he is right your new passport needs to be in their system but I am pretty sure you can just do this online (assuming you remember your login credentials).
That makes sense - thanks. I have my login credentials in 1Password.