The Great Swing Set Dilemma

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
familythriftmd

Re: The Great Swing Set Dilemma

Post by familythriftmd »

I found a swing set frame on Craigslist. He asked $75 AND brought it to my house AND helped me assemble it AND then reduced the price when he saw some rusty spots for $50. All I had to do was buy the swings themselves, which I bought on Amazon.
Not saying you'll be quite as lucky, but certainly I'd rather pay $100 ($50 plus another $50 or so for the swings) than $2500 for something that, like the others said above, may be intermittently used.

@ponyboy, thanks to urban planning in America, not everyone is that close to a playground, unfortunately, and parents are sometimes so scared of letting their kids go to one even if it is safe and in walking distance
Topic Author
CoastLawyer2030

Post by CoastLawyer2030 »

ponyboy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:43 pm Skip the at home swing set/play thing. Kids use it a couple times then it sits there to rot away. Just find a park that has a playground.
Maybe I was a loser, but we used our swingset *all the time* when I was a kid. It is a huge fixture of my childhood memory playing at home. I could be misremembering but I am sure we got about 6-7 good years out of it.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

A little ingenuity could easy turn the area under the clubhouse into a sandbox.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

CoastLawyer2030 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:42 pm
ponyboy wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:43 pm Skip the at home swing set/play thing. Kids use it a couple times then it sits there to rot away. Just find a park that has a playground.
Maybe I was a loser, but we used our swingset *all the time* when I was a kid. It is a huge fixture of my childhood memory playing at home. I could be misremembering but I am sure we got about 6-7 good years out of it.
Haha doubt the loser appellation. My kids do play on it pretty frequently. Probably daily now that the snow is off the ground.
Casper

Post by Casper »

familythriftmd wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:32 am
CoastLawyer2030 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:42 pm
Haha doubt the loser appellation. My kids do play on it pretty frequently. Probably daily now that the snow is off the ground.
Yeah, my kids are 9 and 7 and still play on our swingset daily (in good weather). We've had it 7 years, a fairly basic wood set from Lowe's. Kids are different and there's no way to tell in advance if yours will use it or not. Everyone who is saying don't buy one because kids won't use it are generalizing their own limited experience to the population at large.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

$4K for a swing set. Oh my. What problems some people have.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

The kids can flip off swings or top of slide or top of ladder just as easily as fall off the bridge so not sure what the concern is. I would get the bridge - you should have proper material under the entire play structure anyway to assure a fall won't result in major injury.