Pool Walking Shoe?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
InMyDreams

Pool Walking Shoe?

Post by InMyDreams »

I need a shoe for walking in the pool. My old Speedo shoe, a Costco purchase from years ago, have lost the glued on heel on one foot, plus they gave me a blister.

I'm not finding an equivalent at Costco; Amazon gave me so many choices, REI seems to focus on aqua socks used for paddling (might be good for pool walking??).

Anyone have a shoe/sock that they like? The idea of having a sock attached to a sole is appealing - might reduce my risk of a blister.

Thanks!
momvesting

Re: Pool Walking Shoe?

Post by momvesting »

We have always bought the Lands End water shoes, but we don’t use them for pool walking but for things like visiting tide pools, so perhaps it isn’t what you need.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I wear Teva sandals when walking or doing water sports that require shoes. I get the plastic buckle and not the velcro kind.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Following...need ideas also
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

We use water shoes for pool aerobic classes and walking on rocky beaches.

I don't have a brand preference but there are three things I look for. 1. The inner sole has to be sewn down; 2. Slip on but with adjustable straps; 3. Good drainage that also lets sand and small rocks out and 4. Good no slip rubber outer soles. Ok four things.
We plan. G-d laughs.
mhc

Post by mhc »

I wear scuba dive boots/shoes for all my aquatic needs. I've had to same pair for almost 2 decades. They have a hard rubber sole with traction. I love them because they also allow me to walk on rocky surfaces when needed. I don't know the brand, but I would recommend a quality dive boot/shoe. The socks look like they could work for the pool. Neither the sock or shoe has to be that expensive. Just buy a pair. If you don't like it, return it.
PalmQueen

Post by PalmQueen »

I've had good luck with Drainmaker shoes from Columbia.
They fit like sneakers and have a normal range of sizes.
Women's:
https://www.columbia.com/p/womens-drain ... _color=063
Men's:
https://www.columbia.com/p/mens-drainma ... _color=063

They're a bit pricer than some, but last forever and feel good.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

mhc wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:48 pm I wear scuba dive boots/shoes for all my aquatic needs. I've had to same pair for almost 2 decades. They have a hard rubber sole with traction. I love them because they also allow me to walk on rocky surfaces when needed. I don't know the brand, but I would recommend a quality dive boot/shoe. The socks look like they could work for the pool. Neither the sock or shoe has to be that expensive. Just buy a pair. If you don't like it, return it.
+1
Scuba socks and socks to wear to prevent "fin rash/blisters" are made to be immersed in the ocean so might survive the pool chemicals as well.
You might want to look into various footwear specifically made for scuba, etc, and actual extended immersion and use underwater.
The Scuba socks come in various thicknesses and shapes, also how high up the ankle. So, you would have to try a bunch to find the right fit and so forth.

They are called, Fin Socks, Scuba Socks, Dive Socks, etc. (not beach socks)
Here's an example:
https://www.amazon.com/WORN-Frictionles ... NrPXRydWU=
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Topic Author
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

For those with blister problems, I've found using KT tape (or similar) to help. It will stand up to some use in water, too.

I used the old Speedo shoes again today. With KT in position, I didn't blister, and managed my workout well enough despite missing one of the heels. I still have all of the forefoot of the shoe, and the heel does have cover, just not the full thickness of the missing piece.

Fin socks look interesting, but my focus is protecting the bottom of my feet as I walk in the pool. Water shoes give me grip to walk faster, and when I walk in thigh-high water to kick up my heart rate, I need not only the grip but protection from the hard surface below grinding the bottom of my feet. I try not to walk barefooted on dry land, either.

I've eyed something like this
https://www.amazon.com/L-RUN-Womens-Spo ... 101&sr=8-5

but like others in this category, you don't have to go far to start seeing negative reviews that are things I'd find unacceptable.

Tevas might to the trick. On the river trip, some people had problems with one brand of water sandals splitting open. The guides were ready with glue - they'd seen it before. Pretty sure it wasn't Tevas, tho.