People with Covid-19 vaccination record cards: where are you keeping them?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

People with Covid-19 vaccination record cards: where are you keeping them?

Post by nisiprius »

When traveling pre-1980 I was always asked to show "passport and vaccination certificate" so to me it "feels like" a passport, and I think for the time being I'll keep it in the passport case along with my passport.

I know there are no definitive answers on this, but what are others doing?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
HueyLD

Re: People with Covid-19 vaccination record cards: where are you keeping them?

Post by HueyLD »

I will take a picture and store it in my device.

In addition, will have the original card inside of my passport for all future international travels.
gwe67

Post by gwe67 »

Scanned into Books app on iPhone, just like I did with other important items: medical card, dental card, drivers license, etc.
VTI 48%, VXUS 12%, BND 40%
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Mine’s sitting on my desk because I have the same question. I tend to think the physical card isn’t all that important because it’s also in the electronic medical record that my provider has, but I keep it anyway...
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Hmm... ask me when I am eligible to get it hopefully next month?

I told my parents and in-laws to keep it with their important documents (e.g. passport, social security card, etc.).
badger42

Post by badger42 »

Physical card will go in the safe (along with things like passports) after the 2nd shot, plus digital backups in multiple places.

Medical records are less useful because I had to go out of state to get the vaccine in something less than geologic time.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

HueyLD wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:34 am I will take a picture and store it in my device.

In addition, will have the original card inside of my passport for all future international travels.
That's our plan.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Somewhat off topic, but also share the vaccine type, dates, and lot #s with your personal physician so it becomes part of your medical records.
Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound »

I took a photo, stored it in my phone and my computer medical records file.

I also sent the same photo file to my doctor to add to my medical records. I can retrieve a copy of the photo from my medical portal if I need to because my stored copies are no longer available (broken phone and or trashed computer).
GlacierRunner

Post by GlacierRunner »

I took a picture so that it's on my phone and then the physical card is stored with all my important documents: passport, birth certificate, and yes - my childhood vaccination record.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Right now it's in my wallet. I've only had the first shot, and I don't want to forget to bring it with me when I get the second.

After that I'll probably store it with my social security card.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

GlacierRunner wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:51 am I took a picture so that it's on my phone and then the physical card is stored with all my important documents: passport, birth certificate, and yes - my childhood vaccination record.
My childhood vaccination record didn’t make it to adulthood with me. I think at this point, as a result, I’ve had the MMR vaccine...four times?
Orangutan

Post by Orangutan »

Password manager folder. Accessible in case I lose my phone. I am interested to see how different countries develop their “proof of vaccine” for tourists.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

I tend to think that the CDC card isn’t much of a proof of vaccination. My vaccination clinic (I work at one) has stacks sitting around in the supply room. The vaccinators ask the patients to fill in their own names and DoB after the vaccination. It doesn’t have any stamp, name of vaccinator, or signature on it. The Clinic Site field has the name of the county, handwritten. And you could print your own.

Courtesy of Google:

https://dhhs.ne.gov/Documents/ShotCard-ENGLISH.pdf

The actual proof is in the electronic record. My state has a statewide immunization database that should track the shots. If there is ever a requirement of a vaccination “passport” for travel, I assume it will be issued based on that record.

That said, I scanned mine and will provide the information to my primary care provider if the data doesn’t make it automatically to their EMR system. The picture is in my password manager, the physical card in the safe together with my yellow fever card.
Last edited by TravelGeek on Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
rlchambers

Post by rlchambers »

I like some of the others will scan and save and keep the original with my passport.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

Wallet, just as a reminder until I get my second dose. Then in my medical file with other vaccine records, with a copy on my phone. It's not even close to a forge-proof document, so I would hope it has no official use. But if it ends up that way, and photo is not sufficient, I'll return it to my wallet again.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Took a picture and it’s in my glove compartment. Agree that it would be extremely easy to replicate.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
peppers

Post by peppers »

The card is stored on my phone and laptop. I also made copies and laminated them.
The original is kept at home.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

It went into my "permanent record" along with all the reports of my misbehavior from school, of course :(

We scanned ours, then placed them in the desk drawer with unused credit cards, passports, etc.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

nisiprius wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:32 am When traveling pre-1980 I was always asked to show "passport and vaccination certificate" so to me it "feels like" a passport, and I think for the time being I'll keep it in the passport case along with my passport.

I know there are no definitive answers on this, but what are others doing?
Wallet
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

I am under the impression that we'll have to repeat the vaccine yearly? Given that flu season is not far off, meaning October, I'll be getting a new card very soon already.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

So do they give you a card after your second shot? We have first shot appointments for Tuesday. I haven’t heard about a card though.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

stuffed it in a drawer. US will never go to a 'passport' type thing for travel, and while some international destinations may do so, not worth it to me to be concerned.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

GoldenFinch wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:33 am So do they give you a card after your second shot? We have first shot appointments for Tuesday. I haven’t heard about a card though.
We received a card** after first shot, and were told to bring it back for the second so they could add the info of the second.

**Technically not a card, but we just received a 2"x3" slip of white paper on which contained a copy of the CDC 'form' and the nurse entered name, date, vax type, and lot number.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

GoldenFinch wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:33 am So do they give you a card after your second shot? We have first shot appointments for Tuesday. I haven’t heard about a card though.
You will get a card with your first shot that you will have to bring back for your second shot.
Faith20879 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:31 am I am under the impression that we'll have to repeat the vaccine yearly? Given that flu season is not far off, meaning October, I'll be getting a new card very soon already.
The card has space for boosters, just like the old fashioned immunization cards did. I had mine through college, it even had my updated polio. That was 20 some years ago, though.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Faith20879 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:31 am I am under the impression that we'll have to repeat the vaccine yearly? Given that flu season is not far off, meaning October, I'll be getting a new card very soon already.
All speculation at this time. And presumably off topic as it is medical.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

^^^Thank you Big Dog and Sailaway.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

We put ours in our "fireproof" lock box. Right on top of our swine flu cards from 2009, which haven't been touched since I put them there 12 years ago.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

In the sock drawer with my lesser used credit cards.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

If I ever become eligible to be vaccinated, I'll probably put mine wherever I put my social security card, which I managed to lose this year after about fifty years. Needless to say I'm one of the lucky people who live in states where we can't get replacement social security cards by applying online.
Rainier

Post by Rainier »

TravelGeek wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:15 am I tend to think that the CDC card isn’t much of a proof of vaccination. My vaccination clinic (I work at one) has stacks sitting around in the supply room. The vaccinators ask the patients to fill in their own names and DoB after the vaccination. It doesn’t have any stamp, name of vaccinator, or signature on it. The Clinic Site field has the name of the county, handwritten. And you could print your own.

Courtesy of Google:

https://dhhs.ne.gov/Documents/ShotCard-ENGLISH.pdf

The actual proof is in the electronic record. My state has a statewide immunization database that should track the shots. If there is ever a requirement of a vaccination “passport” for travel, I assume it will be issued based on that record.

That said, I scanned mine and will provide the information to my primary care provider if the data doesn’t make it automatically to their EMR system. The picture is in my password manager, the physical card in the safe together with my yellow fever card.
I thought the same thing. Just a postcard, mostly handwritten by the receiver.

Then again, have you ever seen the WHO vaccine card from the past? It's not all that different.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I assume that I’ll be getting any boosters from my regular provider and it will be part of my electronic medical record, just like the flu shot is.
kramer

Post by kramer »

As others said, I will store my physical vaccination record with my passport plus a digital record (when I do get vaccinated, next month hopefully).

The only other thing I would add is that by the end of the month IATA plans to formally release their Android/iOS application which many airlines around the world have pledged to use for purposes of test verification, vaccine authentication, etc. So it might be a one time process to get your vaccination authenticated via that app. I don't think all the details are clear yet.

This week Iceland opened their country to vaccinated travelers, no quarantine no test. Here are details ... I do note that the standard CDC vaccination card record often does not have quite all the information that they require but it's probably enough:

https://www.landlaeknir.is/um-embaettid ... the-border

https://www.iata.org/en/programs/passenger/travel-pass/
Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Rainier wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:40 pm I thought the same thing. Just a postcard, mostly handwritten by the receiver.

Then again, have you ever seen the WHO vaccine card from the past? It's not all that different.
It's not. Or, at least, the one I had in 1971 wasn't. It was a paper booklet with a stiff card-stock cover, with hand-written entries, including signatures of doctors, and some departmental rubber stamps. Not even any raised seals.

Because of the US health "system" being so fragmented, and because of apparent total? failure of interoperability between EDP systems across different providers, I believe it might actually be harder and take longer for an official to verify the validity of an entry on the Covid-19 card than it would have been in 1971.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

In my wallet.
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

I cut a corner of a heavy sheet protector, and my original card is snugly within it. I keep it with my passport.

My shots were at local hospital. From an online portal, I'm able to print my official vaccination record. It's got many more details than the card, and is obviously official. A copy w/passport, a copy in glove box.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

I haven't thought about it at all. I will save a copy to my phone and leave the card at home. Thanks!
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

I'm concerned about how easy these little slips of paper would be to fake.

So I asked my PCP's office how it could get into my full "official"medical record.

The answer: Please send another message with the dates/type of vaccine, and we'll enter it into your record.

Foolproof as official documentation for the future, eh. :annoyed

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

HueyLD wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:34 am I will take a picture and store it in my device.

This is exactly, what me and DW have decided to do. Pic's of cards on our phones, share with each other and original stored with Passport. Will ask my PCP to include in my health portal records when 2nd shot is received end of month. :sharebeer
It is not about how much you make, it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown
gfirero

Post by gfirero »

I have turned mine into an NFT jpeg and am now selling it at Christie's for Dogecoin.
:D
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

At this point ours are in a file drawer in whatever folder my wife chose to put them. I see no reason to carry mine. When I do, I'll dig it out and put it in my wallet, with my passport or in my phone (or some combination thereof). By that time I hope to have a better idea if/how they are being utilized.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

ResearchMed wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:32 pm I'm concerned about how easy these little slips of paper would be to fake.

So I asked my PCP's office how it could get into my full "official"medical record.

The answer: Please send another message with the dates/type of vaccine, and we'll enter it into your record.

Foolproof as official documentation for the future, eh. :annoyed

RM
They would be easy to forge. Pretty much worthless as a "vaccine passport" - I'd be surprised if any country accepted them. I've kept mine anyway but don't carry it.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I scanned it. After the 2nd does in a few weeks I will scan it again. As others said, I doubt this will get you much. Maybe suitable for the workplace but I doubt it will do anything for international travel.
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

Keep it in a file with other docs. Have it on smart phone as a photograph. Already used phone version at doctor’s.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I received a card with handwritten info (dates and type of shot) at the vaccination site.
It does not look very "official". If countries start using proof of vaccination as a prerequisite for admission, I wonder if they would accept such a card....it seems ridiculously easy to forge.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

steve roy wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:46 pm Keep it in a file with other docs. Have it on smart phone as a photograph. Already used phone version at doctor’s.
For what purpose if you don't mind sharing?
windaar

Post by windaar »

Photo of card on my phone. Original stays at home. Also was e-mailed official letter from county for each shot so have hard copy and retrievable copy from any device.
Nobody knows nothing.
Ruprecht

Post by Ruprecht »

Just noticed I lost the NFT race.
Last edited by Ruprecht on Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

This initiative for a digital verifiable vaccination record looks promising:

https://vaccinationcredential.org/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/big-tech-h ... malertNEWS
A coalition that includes tech giants and healthcare providers is preparing to release global standards for mobile apps that verify whether someone has had a Covid-19 vaccine.

The Vaccination Credential Initiative standards will incorporate digitally-verified clinical data with a name and birth date that can be also displayed as machine-readable QR codes.

After the open-source standards are released next month, they can be integrated into mobile apps that people could use to verify they have been vaccinated to gain admission to offices, restaurants, bars, entertainment venues and other public places.

The group’s more than 200 members include Microsoft Corp. , Oracle Corp. , Salesforce. com Inc. and healthcare providers. It hopes the software framework will be the dominant standards used worldwide for verifying Covid-19 vaccinations.
Two of the members are Epic and Cerner, major developer of EMR/EHRs that are used by many hospital systems and mass vaccination sites.

https://ehrintelligence.com/news/100-co ... ystems-ehr

https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/e ... ut-efforts

My data is in Epic.
crefwatch

Post by crefwatch »

My mother’s nursing home has already asked to see and copy MY CDC card.