Lexus or Tesla?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
steve321

Lexus or Tesla?

Post by steve321 »

We are hoping to buy a new car soon which will be either an electric vehicle or a hybrid.
I am quite keen on Teslas as I really like Elon Musk, DW is a bit more keen on Lexus. I've never given too much importance to cars and I don't know much about them, but it's very likely to be my last car considering my age and health so we would like to get something nice this time. 
I've read that elderly people are quite comfortable with Teslas, but I am wondering if anyone can give their opinion and whether you would share your experience either with a Tesla or with a Lexus.
What counts most for us are safety reliability and comfort and - why not - having a cool car :D
Success does not bring happiness. In fact, happiness IS success. | 'There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.' Oscar Wilde
benderbr

Re: Lexus or Tesla?

Post by benderbr »

You're not going to have problems with safety or reliability in those brands. Not enough to be a decision factor. Sounds like for this fun purchase you shouldn't even care about these things.

The world is making a move to electric cars. If you have capability to charge or can add it easily, buy an electric if you want to experience it.

I am a Tesla owner and it's the best car I've owned. The two brands are vastly different vehicles on the inside though. You need to test drive both then just buy what you like. You will either be blown away by the simplicity of the Tesla or you will hate it.

If you and your wife disagree, consider a short term lease of one car then a purchase or lease of the other after that. If you have enough money, now is the time to "treat yo'self".
bgf

Post by bgf »

Sounds like you should get the Lexus LS.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

People love Tesla's, I know several people with Tesla's and riding in them makes other cars seem antiquated. That said, I don't want to deal with the charging (extremely difficult apartment living), the insurance cost is ridiculous, and they have some of the worst ratings on reliability.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
tj218

Post by tj218 »

I wouldn't hesistate and go for a Lexus. Tesla has very poor reliability https://www.marketwatch.com/story/tesla ... 1605816647
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I have a Tesla and love it. You should check what would happen to your insurance. For me, my insurance didn’t even change enough for me to notice.

You probably can’t go wrong either way.

A Lexus IS typically more “opulent”, and very comfortable. It is certainly not cool. But if you really like comfort, and a proven track record of reliability, Lexus is an easy choice.

The long term reliability of Tesla is just unknown at this point. We do know from early sales that the electric motors and batteries have held up really well. But the Model 3, which is their first big seller, has only been out for 3 to 4 years. So they haven’t had enough time to establish a track record on those. Mine has been flawless after two years, and I would buy it again without hesitation. But I’m just one data point......
acegolfer

Post by acegolfer »

I never considered Tesla as a luxury car. To me, I'm paying for its technology rather than for comfort.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

I'd buy a car from a car company not a tech company.
dbr

Post by dbr »

Why not go drive both and see what you like?

Or, you could buy one for her and the other for you.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

OP, you need to nail down what price range and size/type of car, to get useful suggestions.

Lexus certainly makes reliable and luxurious cars. But they haven't come out with an EV or even plug-in hybrid yet. And their SUV lineup (the NX and RX in particular) are quite dated and about to get full redesigns. (Some say avoid recent redesigns, but the Lexus track record is excellent, and the platform is already well-proven on other Lexus/Toyota models.)

Tesla will not have the same level of fit and finish. You're likely to see more reliability issues than with a Lexus, but they are also going to be fairly minor in the big scheme of things. EVs are inherently simpler, and most of the things most prone to failure in a gasoline-powered car don't exist. The electric powertrain tends to be warranted for a long time (8-10 years).
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

First thing that caught my attention was reference to Musk, and I don't think that is an ideal way to chose a vehicle. Two different vehicles with somewhat different purchase groups once you get beyond the ability to purchase. From a practical standpoint, drive both as other posters have mentioned, then if you like the one that is not the most practical just consider that you wanted a car more emotionally than practically and go for it!

Tim
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I know folks well who bought and drove 2 different Teslas when they were the "New Thang" and Lexuses and Priuses before that. They don't have them anymore and drive, get this, Subaru Outback and Chevy Malibu. They can afford any cars and trucks and boats and airplanes they want. LOL!
Last edited by livesoft on Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

FWIW, if you have any interest in a Tesla, and you test drive one, you'll probably love it.
There are fewer mechanical type issues on the Tesla, but there are scores of "glitches" and software issues, and I think one should really consider how the necessity of plugging in and charging of the car will fit into their routine as well as planning for 'road trips'.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
wander

Post by wander »

You can't go wrong with a Lexus LS class. Any new tech will be in this class before other Lexus cars.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

OP, what is your car usage pattern? If you do lots of driving locally, a full EV might work well for you. If you do long road trips, you might find the need to charge bothersome. Or not, Tesla owners obviously deal with it.

And I agree with the posting above that says that "Elon Musk is a cool guy" isn't a great reason to pick a car. Trim/feel of Lexus is much different than Tesla. How they drive is also different. You should test drive both and see how you feel about the experience. Though maybe doing lots of test drives these days is a bit harrowing in COVID era.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Da5id wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:34 am You should test drive both and see how you feel about the experience. Though maybe doing lots of test drives these days is a bit harrowing in COVID era.
Not for Tesla at least. They take a picture of your driver license, show you around, and off you go. Salesperson doesn't go with you. Car is disinfected before/after.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

02nz wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:37 am
Da5id wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:34 am You should test drive both and see how you feel about the experience. Though maybe doing lots of test drives these days is a bit harrowing in COVID era.
Not for Tesla at least. They take a picture of your driver license, show you around, and off you go. Salesperson doesn't go with you. Car is disinfected before/after.
Different people have different senses of COVID risk. Were I old enough for this to be my "last car", as OP said, I'd probably not be out shopping for one right now regardless of dealer precautions. But again, everyone has different risk tolerances.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Da5id wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:44 am
02nz wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:37 am
Different people have different senses of COVID risk. Were I old enough for this to be my "last car", as OP said, I'd probably not be out shopping for one right now regardless of dealer precautions. But again, everyone has different risk tolerances.
My point was that a test drive in a disinfected vehicle with no salesperson is considerably safer than sharing the air inside the vehicle for 20-30 minutes with a salesperson who comes into contact with a lot of people. Of course OP can decide their own risk tolerance - that's true whether for shopping for cars or going out for groceries.
SEAworld9

Post by SEAworld9 »

I would suggest test driving both yourself and getting opinions from actual owners, not media articles, if you’re seeking info.

Above all else, get whatever you want. Get both if that works. You’re at the point in life where most of the stuff in this thread that strangers on the internet are saying just doesn’t matter. Seriously please don’t make the decision because randos online are saying their neighbor’s third cousin used to have this or that or because they personally think it’s just too life crushing of a thing to plug a charger in or to go to a gas station.

Get whatever it is that will make you and DW happiest and enjoy the remaining phase of your life. You deserve it.
oaoaoa

Post by oaoaoa »

We have 2 Tesla’s. A 15 S and a 20 S. Both good. The 15 needed a new rear drive unit at 60k miles. Covered under warranty. Also needed a new screen in 2018. Covered under warranty. A second screen in 2019. Also under warranty. The 20 has 20k miles and no drama. Despite these issues were huge fans of the evs. If I had to pay for these repairs I would be annoyed. I’m working so can afford repairs. I intend to keep both indefinitely. Resale value is good. Full self driving is awesome. Road trips: easy w these cars.

Sharing our negative experiences FYI.

Had an 11 Toyota 4Runner before these. It also had issues on and off until I sold it at 90k miles but nothing big like the above. Great resale value. Bought new for 36k out the door. Sold for 18k.

Overall, our energy bill between fuel and electric is far lower with the evs. We also feel good about the environmental impact having 2 evs.

We won’t buy an ICE car again.
Last edited by oaoaoa on Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
SaveMor

Post by SaveMor »

Test driving all of the cars you are considering seems like sound advice.

As far as reliability, that seems to weigh heavily in favor of a Lexus; however, despite low reliability, Tesla owners generally love their cars:

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/teslas-rel ... ally-care/
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

Tesla
tm3

Post by tm3 »

After test driving a Lexus GS400 in 1999 my wife announced that she "loved" it. It was more money, by far, than we had ever spent on a car but I joked that if she agreed to drive it for 20 years I would buy it.

She just recently expressed interest in replacing it.
joebruin77

Post by joebruin77 »

I currently own a 2018 Performance Model 3. I have previously owned a Lexus ES-350 sedan. I do not have direct experience with the top of the line Lexus LS sedan.

The Lexus ES-350, like all Lexuses (or is it Lexi?), has a beautiful interior. I used to refer to it as a "spa on wheels". It was a very comfortable and luxurious place to be. Fit and finish as well as reliability are outstanding. However, I love "spirited" driving, and the ES-350 was the most boring car I have ever owned. It had little feel for the road and felt like I was driving on top of a very cushy, comfortable cloud. I don't know how the LS ride would compare. But take it for a test drive and pay attention to the type of ride it offers. If you like cushy and comfortable, it may be for you. And, if I remember correctly, the ES-350 took premium fuel, so it was expensive to fuel up.

The Tesla Performance Model 3 is an absolutely wonderful car. Yes, the fit and finish was not at the Lexus level, but I thought it was much closer than most people assume. The seats are very comfortable. And the stereo is much better than the one in my old Lexus. I love the simplicity of the cabin and I also love how you control everything through the large 15-inch center screen. Some people complain about the lack of gauges. It took me all of 10 min to get used to seeing my speed just slightly to the right. Plus, with no gauge cluster behind the steering wheel, the air vent that runs the entire length of the dashboard is there instead. During a hot summer day, it is lovely to have the air blowing directly at you. And the drive is sheer excitement and exhilaration. Full torque and 0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds is very addictive.

I would only own a Tesla if 1) you have the means to charge the car with a level 2 charger at home. My Tesla Wall Connector charges up to 44 miles per hour. 2) You live relatively closely to a local Service Center. My Tesla has been extremely reliable but I would never own a Tesla unless I could easily access a Service Center.

Finally, with a Telsa, you have much lower costs for service. With nearly all the braking done by the motor through regenerative braking, your brake pads can last the lifetime of the car. No timing belts, oil changes, or spark plugs need changing. Plus a lot of routine maintenance can be done by Tesla Mobile Service. They came to my home to do my 2-year service. They rotated the tires, tested the brake fluid, changed the cabin air filter, and a couple other things. Total cost was around $100. And I didn't have to leave my home. They even let themselves into the car. Yes, the Lexus service department was a lovely place to visit, but I much prefer staying at home while my car is serviced in my driveway.
dbr

Post by dbr »

joebruin77 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:44 am
My Tesla Wall Connector charges up to 44 miles per hour.
That's funny. From a physics point of view it is weird to see a number with dimensions and units of velocity but it is not velocity at all but a rate of delivery of something. I have visions of maybe Reddy-Kilowatt or maybe the Road Runner charging (pun) around.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

Nowizard wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:13 am First thing that caught my attention was reference to Musk, and I don't think that is an ideal way to chose a vehicle.
Totally.

That seemed like a strange decision criteria.

If I wanted to idol worship Musk, it would be cheaper get an autographed picture and make a shrine.
60% Global Market Stocks (VT,FM) | 38% Global Market Bonds | 2% Alts || LMP TIPS/STRIPS || RSU + ESPP
dbr

Post by dbr »

Before buying a Lexus one might want to contemplate the experience if coming out of one's house in the morning and seeing that grille facing them from the driveway. I for one simply can't feature the possibility of owning a car that looks like that.
JDofAZ

Post by JDofAZ »

Personally I don't plan to ever buy another non-electric vehicle.

If you do take road trips I suggest plugging your route into https://abetterrouteplanner.com and see how much charging time will be needed (if any).

This retired (or semi) guy on YouTube posts a lot of videos about his Tesla https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEBMdP ... zHY4lemUYw

https://www.plugshare.com/ is another useful site for finding chargers, with a Tesla you don't really have to worry about finding a charger with the Super Charger network, but sometimes restaurants and shopping centers offer free chargers.
dbr

Post by dbr »

watchnerd wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:53 am
Nowizard wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:13 am First thing that caught my attention was reference to Musk, and I don't think that is an ideal way to chose a vehicle.
Totally.

If I wanted to idol worship Musk, it would be cheaper get an autographed picture and make a shrine.
On the contrary I imagine it is one of the most common influences on decision making. It is just that in this case the individual nominated seems to be a dubious selection. In investing mention of Mr. Bogle or Mr. Buffett has great cachet here for sure, justified or not as the case may be.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

dbr wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:56 am
Totally.

On the contrary I imagine it is one of the most common influences on decision making. It is just that in this case the individual nominated seems to be a dubious selection. In investing mention of Mr. Bogle or Mr. Buffett has great cachet here for sure, justified or not as the case may be.
Well, if he was Enzo Ferrari or Ferdinand Porsche or Carroll Shelby, I could see the point.
Last edited by watchnerd on Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
60% Global Market Stocks (VT,FM) | 38% Global Market Bonds | 2% Alts || LMP TIPS/STRIPS || RSU + ESPP
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

Totally.

While that is fair, there is a difference between adopting/endorsing/admiring someone's ideas vs buying a product from the company they run or own. Buying Geico Insurance or See's Candy simply because Buffett's BRK owns them is more comparable, and for my taste a weak reason. Though See's does make some tasty stuff...
srt7

Post by srt7 »

watchnerd wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:01 am
Totally.

Well, if he was Enzo Ferrari or Ferdinand Porsche or Carroll Shelby, I could see the point.
Elon is today's equivalent of your time's Enzo + Ferdinand + Carroll together.
MortgageOnBlack

Post by MortgageOnBlack »

went through the exact same thing the past few months. Ended up with a 2018 Lexus IS350. We were looking on keeping the car 10+ years and didn't want to risk dealing with long-term reliability issues with the Tesla since the tech is still maturing. Toyota proven reliability was what pulled us in. That and we didn't feel the desire to hire an electrician for Stage 2 charging.
joebruin77

Post by joebruin77 »

dbr wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:51 am
joebruin77 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:44 am
My Tesla Wall Connector charges up to 44 miles per hour.
That's funny. From a physics point of view it is weird to see a number with dimensions and units of velocity but it is not velocity at all but a rate of delivery of something. I have visions of maybe Reddy-Kilowatt or maybe the Road Runner charging (pun) around.
For the Tesla Wall Connector, the maximum output on a 60-amp circuit is 48 amps and the power is 11.5kw at 240 volts. For most people, the maximum rate of charge doesn't matter as much since most of your charging is done overnight.

But going back to the big picture, imagine for your gasoline-powered car if you had your own gas pump in your garage. If you could fill up and leave with a full tank of gas every morning, you would not be concerned at all about whether or not there is a gas station along your route.

If you are taking a long road trip, you can rely on the Tesla Supercharger network. I have taken my Tesla on several road trips and it is an awesome road trip car. Most Superchargers are located near coffee shops and restaurants. You can park your Tesla, start charging, go get a coffee and use the restroom. By the time you return to your car, your Tesla will be charged and ready to get back onto the road. Plus, Tesla autopilot makes long trips so much less taxing. You get on the highway and let the car do driving. Last point - most major hotels now offer Tesla destination chargers. Again, imagine if you took your gasoline-powered car to a hotel and when you get your car back from the valet, they filled up your gas tank free of charge.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

joebruin77 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:44 pm Plus, Tesla autopilot makes long trips so much less taxing. You get on the highway and let the car do driving.
I've always been dubious about this point. Until full self driving cars become available, the driver is required to remain attentive. I'm afraid that too much assist from the car would make me lose focus and be unprepared if an emergency arises.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

srt7 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:36 pm Elon is today's equivalent of your time's Enzo + Ferdinand + Carroll together.
Is he?

I haven't seen him driving in races yet like Enzo and Carroll.
Topic Author
steve321

Post by steve321 »

Totally.

What I meant is that I think the guy is knowledgeable (and is both a visionary and someone who pays attention to detais), so I tend to trust him. He seems so much smarter than other CEOs, so I take it to imply that his cars should be better.
Success does not bring happiness. In fact, happiness IS success. | 'There are only two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it.' Oscar Wilde
joebruin77

Post by joebruin77 »

Da5id wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:51 pm
joebruin77 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:44 pm Plus, Tesla autopilot makes long trips so much less taxing. You get on the highway and let the car do driving.
I've always been dubious about this point. Until full self driving cars become available, the driver is required to remain attentive. I'm afraid that too much assist from the car would make me lose focus and be unprepared if an emergency arises.
Yes, you are required to maintain attention. Plus, the car requires you to keep your hand on the wheel. If it senses you are not holding the steering wheel, it will give you a warning and, if you still don't place your hand on the wheel, it will disengage and disable autopilot until the car is stopped.

Perhaps my original comment was not exact enough. I do not let the car do all the driving. I am attentive so that I can deal with unexpected problems. However, after a while, you do learn to trust the car to steer and adjust the speed as needed. It is like an adaptive cruise control that also happens to take care of the steering. And if you don't like the steering being controlled, you can do the steering and let the car only adjust the speed. But I find when I travel with the autopilot, I am less fatigued. Also, the autopilot is great to use in bumper to bumper traffic, which is normally very taxing.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

steve321 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:58 pm What I meant is that I think the guy is knowledgeable (and is both a visionary and someone who pays attention to detais), so I tend to trust him. He seems so much smarter than other CEOs, so I take it to imply that his cars should be better.
That's an interesting take and not one I share.

I think Musk wants to colonize Mars more than he cares about cars.

I don't think he's really a car guy.

I think Tesla is just a way for him to crowd-source funding of the battery and other technologies he thinks he'll need for interplanetary colonization.

Which is interesting, for sure, but I'm not sure his vision is that of a modern day Henry Ford.

Or even Toyota.

As for paying attention to details....Cybertruck glass demo?
Last edited by watchnerd on Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

OP, if you are up to it, perhaps also look into Polestar 2, Mustang Mach E and Volkswagen ID4; all are finally comparable to a similar priced Tesla in terms of performance, and supposedly exceed Tesla in quality. Mainstream brands have finally started entering the market seriously. Supercruise from GM also proves that Tesla does not monopolize the leading edge of technology. In a very short time, higher competition is going to bring about much better variety and superior products for EV buyers, and I think it will be pretty exciting.
Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k »

I would buy a Lexus, simply because we live in an urban area, and fender-benders are not unusual. My understanding is that Tesla doesn't make body parts easy to get, and I've heard of owners waiting months for collision repairs.

I drove a Lexus for a decade, so reliability and service is of high importance to me.

No thanks.
GG1273

Post by GG1273 »

Da5id wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:34 am OP, what is your car usage pattern? If you do lots of driving locally, a full EV might work well for you. If you do long road trips, you might find the need to charge bothersome. Or not, Tesla owners obviously deal with it.

And I agree with the posting above that says that "Elon Musk is a cool guy" isn't a great reason to pick a car. Trim/feel of Lexus is much different than Tesla. How they drive is also different. You should test drive both and see how you feel about the experience. Though maybe doing lots of test drives these days is a bit harrowing in COVID era.
+1
A family in my neighborhood bought 2 Tesla's just prior to COVID. I only ever see them in the driveway charging or just parked. I do see, Ms. driving their Odyssey to work (RN medical scrubs) but the Teslas seem to be parked all the time. Do know he owns own business and they do well, looks like they are completely remodeling their house at the current time - so no real money concerns.
The 2 children are pre-teens...
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

dbr wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:54 am Before buying a Lexus one might want to contemplate the experience if coming out of one's house in the morning and seeing that grille facing them from the driveway. I for one simply can't feature the possibility of owning a car that looks like that.
As ugly as my Model X might be, it’s a beauty compared to that grille. I guess Lexus decided their target demographic.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
dbr

Post by dbr »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:12 pm
dbr wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:54 am Before buying a Lexus one might want to contemplate the experience if coming out of one's house in the morning and seeing that grille facing them from the driveway. I for one simply can't feature the possibility of owning a car that looks like that.
As ugly as my Model X might be, it’s a beauty compared to that grille. I guess Lexus decided their target demographic.
Help me out understanding what demographic would actually buy a car that looks like that. Obviously it is someone, but maybe this is a marketing test of how much challenge their customer base can absorb before they abandon the make.

Seriously, I was ruminating around about replacing our 18 year old car and stated to bring up the Lexus page until I remembered that grill and then it was go look at Subaru and Mazda.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

dbr wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:17 pm Help me out understanding what demographic would actually buy a car that looks like that. Obviously it is someone, but maybe this is a marketing test of how much challenge their customer base can absorb before they abandon the make.
I think they’re going after a younger and more performance oriented consumer.

ETA: I will admit that they have conquered the “all sedans look alike” issue with that grille.
Last edited by TomatoTomahto on Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
joebruin77

Post by joebruin77 »

hi_there wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:05 pm OP, if you are up to it, perhaps also look into Polestar 2, Mustang Mach E and Volkswagen ID4; all are finally comparable to a similar priced Tesla in terms of performance, and supposedly exceed Tesla in quality. Mainstream brands have finally started entering the market seriously. Supercruise from GM also proves that Tesla does not monopolize the leading edge of technology. In a very short time, higher competition is going to bring about much better variety and superior products for EV buyers, and I think it will be pretty exciting.
I think it is great there are so many new EV's on the market and welcome all of them. Of the 3 EV's you mentioned, I would personally consider the Mustang Mach E, but I would not choose the Polestar 2 or the VW ID4. The Mustang Mach E is a beautiful car and some versions of it offer range and performance that is similar to Tesla. But I would hold off on the Polestar 2 for two reasons. It has lower range and is $22,000 more expensive than the SR+ Model 3. Also, the way the battery is designed, the floor is raised substantially in the middle, unlike other EV's that have a completely flat floor. As for VW's ID4, I think eventually it will be a compelling car, but, IMO, it is not ready for prime time. There was a recent video on youtube posted by the Engineering Explained guy showing that the charging experience using Electrify American was horrible. The in-car route planner did not list any Electrify America fast chargers and, when he went on a road trip, the computer told him to stop at a 7.5 Kw charger for 10 hours ! For road trips, the Supercharger network still gives the advantage to Tesla.

Oh, and the ID4 does not offer one-pedal driving. The regenerative braking is not strong enough to do one-pedal driving, so you will end up having to replace the brake pads in the ID4. And the ID4 has no "frunk" stoarge.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

watchnerd wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:56 pm
srt7 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:36 pm Elon is today's equivalent of your time's Enzo + Ferdinand + Carroll together.
Is he?

That’s because he is busy launching rockets :twisted:

I wouldn’t buy a car based on who runs the company. I would buy it based on desired features, comfort and test drive.
Last edited by TravelGeek on Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

TravelGeek wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:20 pm
watchnerd wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:56 pm
Is he?

That’s because he is busy launching rockets :twisted:
Exactly.

He's more of a space guy than a car guy.
watchnerd

Post by watchnerd »

srt7 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:36 pm
Elon is today's equivalent of your time's Enzo + Ferdinand + Carroll together.
BTW "your time" is an odd assumption about my age.

I wasn't even born when the AC Cobra came out, let alone when Enzo was racing.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:12 pm
Again, I own a Tesla. I’ve looked at Lexus in the past. Honestly, I think the Lexus grill looks much worse in pictures than it does in real life. Something about the angle of the pictures just makes it look worse.

Lexus IS rock solid reliable. I’d own one, for that reason alone. However, they don’t look good, they aren’t exciting, they are technologically backwards. People who buy them just don’t prioritize those things. (I don’t think Tesla looks particularly good either).

I am guessing Lexus buyers prioritize the perceived prestige and reliability over all else. For me, I’d buy one for the reliability and quietness of the interior. But they are very good cars, no doubt. I’m certain I’d be pleased if I owned one.

But if I had to buy a new car today, me personally, I’d buy the Tesla again. Other people would choose the Lexus, and that is a 100% reasonable choice as well.