Do all flip flops/sandals squeak when wet?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
davebo

Do all flip flops/sandals squeak when wet?

Post by davebo »

This is probably a silly question, but I was never a big flip flop person in the past. I bought some before a trip a couple years ago and, if my feet were wet, they would squeak so loudly when I walked. I didn't feel like this was happening to other people near the pool though.

Is there a brand, type of material, or style that doesn't squeak when you walk? I look at the reviews on amazon and only see a few people mentioning squeaks and usually the responses are mixed.
6bquick

Re: Do all flip flops/sandals squeak when wet?

Post by 6bquick »

davebo wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:05 pm This is probably a silly question, but I was never a big flip flop person in the past. I bought some before a trip a couple years ago and, if my feet were wet, they would squeak so loudly when I walked. I didn't feel like this was happening to other people near the pool though.

Is there a brand, type of material, or style that doesn't squeak when you walk? I look at the reviews on amazon and only see a few people mentioning squeaks and usually the responses are mixed.
This.

This right here is why I frequent Bogleheads. Where else on the 'net, pray tell, can one find answers to the all the riddles and inquests of this complicated ride we call life. From "wash sales" to "squeaky swimwear". I swear, the only answer I can't find on here is tomorrow's powerball numbers.

In all seriousness though, sperry's are my go-to, may-get-wet summer footwear, and mine don't squeak. never liked flip-flops. :beer
petram

Post by petram »

davebo wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:05 pm This is probably a silly question, but I was never a big flip flop person in the past. I bought some before a trip a couple years ago and, if my feet were wet, they would squeak so loudly when I walked. I didn't feel like this was happening to other people near the pool though.

Try rainbow sandals
2Scoops

Post by 2Scoops »

I second Rainbows.
markjk

Post by markjk »

I've gone with crocks as a replacement for sandals. They slip on and off just as easy as sandals, provide a little more protection, and don't squeak when wet.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Why slippers squeak when wet when walking:

1 Walking technique
IE: a) Local Hawaii islander "shuffle"/"scuffle" walk. This also adds a slapping "flip/flop" richness to the sound.
b) Shuffle walk
IE: b) Malahini or tourists or those stepping as though wearing shoes, but in slippers. (very awkward)
c) Nearly any slipper can be squeeked when shuffle walking but some are harder.

2 Slipper material and style.
Classic rubber slippers, flexible, slaps together loudly if clapping them together by hand to remove sand. Inexpensive.
Stiff thick sole slippers made out of synthetic, sometimes with treads. Cloth straps. (tend not to squeak as much).

3 Hybrid slippers/sandals/shoe hybrids, etc.
Various styles and materials, tend not to squeak.

4 Thick tire like rubber sole sandles with leather straps and buckles from the 60/70's.
Do not squeak.

*Slippers come in a great variety of styles for indoor only (especially where shoes are not allowed in the home), outdoor only, beach and sand only (easy to wash), and for formal dress wear.

j :D
Kailua Beach, Oahu.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

I wear Chaco sandals all the time and don't ever recall them squeaking. Great, sturdy shoes.
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

living in Florida this is NOT a silly question. :D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sgnoweht

Post by Sgnoweht »

I wear chacos year round, but not the flip flop type. They are quiet.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

markjk wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:42 am

I've gone with crocks as a replacement for sandals. They slip on and off just as easy as sandals, provide a little more protection, and don't squeak when wet.
I have crocks, love them...but do other people have issues with with particles/grass/dead leaves/etc getting stuck in the shoe? If I wear them out to our fire pit during the fall and there's some dead leaves, its amazing how much crap finds its way inside the crock where your foot rests. Its annoying. I prefer sandals. Stuff doesnt stick to them.

As for sandals, I like sanuks. They never seemed to squeak when they were wet.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

khunron

Post by khunron »

Seriously? How do posts like this add anything to "On the Forum, members discuss financial news and theory"?
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

khunron wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:05 pm Seriously? How do posts like this add anything to "On the Forum, members discuss financial news and theory"?
However you spend money. Quiet sandals means we save money on ear plugs. :mrgreen:
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.
IMO

Post by IMO »

surfstar wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:38 pm Image
Funny. Those are great comics, you must be a big far side fan to know he had one applicable to help out the OP.
chickadee

Post by chickadee »

If your feet sweat, you will squeak in any rubber insole sandal.

Some folks really need a sock and a shoe.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

IMO wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:39 pm
surfstar wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:38 pm
Funny. Those are great comics, you must be a big far side fan to know he had one applicable to help out the OP.
As a kid I must have re-read The Far Side and Calvin & Hobbes books over and over. I have tons of quotes from them stuck in my head!

OP, I don't think my current flops squeak, but I remember having some that did. It depends on brand/material. Keep trying!
irisonray

Post by irisonray »

So Davebo - what did you find? I too have had this issue and vowed this year to find the holy grail of flip flops, sans the wet squeak...My last pair (Sketchers) were very comfy and lasted years, but the squeak when wet factor was so annoyingly loud.

Any particular flip flip brand or construction that does not squeak when wet?

Thanks!