How much do you spend nightly for hotels (leisure/vacation)?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Workaholic

How much do you spend nightly for hotels (leisure/vacation)?

Post by Workaholic »

If you're going on vacation, do you generally have a limit as to how much you will spend on a hotel room? I know there are a lot of members on Bogleheads that seem to travel fairly frequently. If traveling for leisure, do you normally stay at the lower-end hotels such as a Holiday Inn, mid-priced ones like a Hilton/Marriott, or stay at high-end properties like the Four Seasons/Park Hyatt/etc?

I find travel to be both extremely rewarding as well as a necessity to recharge my batteries so I don't mind spending a fair sum of money to stay at nice properties. Just curious how other members view this.
cowdogman

Re: How much do you spend nightly for hotels (leisure/vacation)?

Post by cowdogman »

Workaholic wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:09 pm If you're going on vacation, do you generally have a limit as to how much you will spend on a hotel room? I know there are a lot of members on Bogleheads that seem to travel fairly frequently. If traveling for leisure, do you normally stay at the lower-end hotels such as a Holiday Inn, mid-priced ones like a Hilton/Marriott, or stay at high-end properties like the Four Seasons/Park Hyatt/etc?

I find travel to be both extremely rewarding as well as a necessity to recharge my batteries so I don't mind spending a fair sum of money to stay at nice properties. Just curious how other members view this.
I used to travel a lot internationally and a Four Seasons was always my first choice (especially in Istanbul), but for US road trips I tend to stay in a Hilton, the Hilton Garden Inn always being a safe bet. Marriott is on my list too. The quality of Holiday Inns is too uneven to risk booking an unknown location. I would never stay in a cheap hotel/motel--for a whole lot of reasons--especially when traveling with family.

I can't wait to get back to taking road trips.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Hotels are not frequently part of our travel/vacations, but when they are, it is always the cheapest facility that is clean & safe and conveniently located. It's just a structure for us to sleep in, we don't plan to spend very much of our waking time there so it just isn't a priority. Much rather spend the extra money on the adventures than where we'll lay our head at night. I generally get pretty high-end accommodations when I travel for work and the value proposition just isn't there for me.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

We stopped visiting hotels about 5-years ago. It is all Airbnb now. We try not to exceed $175 per night.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

cowdogman wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:48 pm
Workaholic wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:09 pm If you're going on vacation, do you generally have a limit as to how much you will spend on a hotel room? I know there are a lot of members on Bogleheads that seem to travel fairly frequently. If traveling for leisure, do you normally stay at the lower-end hotels such as a Holiday Inn, mid-priced ones like a Hilton/Marriott, or stay at high-end properties like the Four Seasons/Park Hyatt/etc?

I used to travel a lot internationally and a Four Seasons was always my first choice (especially in Istanbul), but for US road trips I tend to stay in a Hilton, the Hilton Garden Inn always being a safe bet. Marriott is on my list too. The quality of Holiday Inns is too uneven to risk booking an unknown location. I would never stay in a cheap hotel/motel--for a whole lot of reasons--especially when traveling with family.

I can't wait to get back to taking road trips.
Similar. On international trips the hotels are often part of a package but either way in a major foreign city we stay in places considerably upscale from what we stay in in non-major US cities on road trips, '4 star' as rough approximation. And our road trips usually avoid big US cities (we live <1 mile from NY, that's enough US city for us with possible exception of some west coast cities, but likewise staying in SF and LA in recent years, 4 star type places). Our most common road trip motel is Hampton Inn, by far. Comparable places if there's no Hampton, Hyatt ('Place') sometimes (lot fewer than Hampton) because working off a credit card opening point bonus. Like you we would not take to the road to stay at cheap motels, for various reasons but specifically my wife dislikes them. We've stayed at airbnb type places arranged by other family members for extended family get together, but not my cup of tea. When occasionally I travel by myself for private historical research I'll sometimes stay at cheaper places, as long as convinced it's safe.
Last edited by JackoC on Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

My target used to be around a hundred, but it depends enormously on where and when you are traveling. If I can get a better chain for 80 I'll take it, and if I have to pay 200 or more to stay away from a Motel 6 I will do it.

These days I will be willing to spend more (because I haven't been out at all). Also, I expect to eat in the room so more space, a microwave and coffeemaker, etc. are worth spending for.
FIREmeup

Post by FIREmeup »

I will say that is probably our one indulgence, within reason. We don't get away often, and who knows if we will ever be back. When we do go, and we plan on doing a lot of stuff in one area we will pick a hotel within walking distance...we look for best value but have paid up to $400 a night to be in the area for the day or 2 instead of having to travel in from a further out hotel at $125, driving in, parking, aggravation.

Our honeymoon, in Maui we chose a cheaper option, still nice but $300 range, no view since we knew we would be out on the island the entire time exploring...when we went to Kauai, it was with a plan of more relaxation and on the resort so paid up for the view and better room, about $800 a night.

Lake Louise paid $600 for lakeview room at the Chateau as opposed to $150 at one in town away from the lake. The view was breathtaking, hiking right from there was well worth it.

Passing through for the night, we have camped for $15 or Holiday Inn Express works fine if camping doesn't make sense.

Booked a Disney trip for a monorail resort. Not cheap but seems like the best option especially for kids first time and for all the activities for young kids. In the future in a few years...can't beat the Waldorf or similar for $200 a night, off Disney.

Hiking trips we either camp, or find a cabin near our hikes so we can just hike out...that can be anything from $15 to several hundred if limited rooms at an NPS lodge.

We haven't traveled much because of infant kids the past few years, but I would definitely look for AirBnB going forward, though the everything you need service of a resort will still appeal to us depending on the type of trip.

We are frugal otherwise but our limited time on a trip we find value in location and saving commuting time so, as stated, this definitely is not congruous with our usual spending.

Post by 123 »

When I travel alone Motel6 is all I need. When the (picky) spouse or kids are along we try for Embassy Suites since their breakfast arrangements work very well for us and gets us fed, out of our room, and about our day early.

A Motel6 room typically runs $50 - $100 whereas Embassy Suites can be $100 - $400 depending on location and season.

We don't mind paying more for special locations, though that's very rare. When we stayed at Grand Hotel at Macinac Island it was something like $800 a night for a "name" room with meals. Happy wife, happy life.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
GreenLawn

Post by GreenLawn »

In the past we've used AirBnb, but for whatever reason (Covid?) the prices for a guest bedroom with a private bath are creeping up towards the price of a basic hotel so recently we've been staying at hotels for around 85-100. This is just for a place to sleep. For a Mexican vacation several years ago we used Costco for an all-inclusive adults only hotel. Seemed to be the best deal around and we had a great time!
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I haven’t traveled for 10 years or so. But in the ‘90’s and 00’s I would spend 150 or so on bed and breakfast lodging. Liked being able to meet other travelers during the breakfast that was part of the price. Going it a alone in Washington D.C. spent a lot for a boutique hotel which was a block from the subway. Room was fine and traveling in the metro was great.

I’ll spend money for some features that I really want.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

When we travel, we don’t spend the entire day in a hotel room or by the hotel pool. So we’re happy with IHG/Marriott properties such as HolidayInn, Staybridge suite, Courtyard, etc. We use bonus points and points from business travel, so most of our stays are free. For some instances we pay cash because it’s much cheaper to pay cash than using points. When we pay cash, it ranges from $70-$150 a night depends on the location of the hotel

We tend to stay 2-4 nights at a location and then drive to the next for a 2-3 weeks trip.
Time is the ultimate currency. My ultimate wealth is the full control of how I spend my time.
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

Depends on the situation.

If I'm road tripping on my motorcycle and just need a place to crash, then very cheap, cheerful and close to a place to get a burger does nicely, as long as it's clean.

If the wife and I are are traveling in Europe or similar then we don't care. It's part of the experience and budgeted for. The hotel we stayed in in Rome was out of this world and priced accordingly. I honestly don't know when - or if - we'll go back so no regrets whatsoever.

To me the oddity is in the middle. There are some truly ordinary hotels that are rather expensive. That I will admit bugs me. Guess it's the same with restaurants.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

I agree the it depends on the situation. If it's just a stopover and the purpose of the hotel is merely a spot to sleep, we'll often go with something modest and inexpensive. Days Inn, Motel 6, etc.

But we're fans of classic/historic old hotels (like these), and sort of consider staying in one to be part of the vacation experience itself. So we'll pay a good chunk of change sometimes to get a good room in one if that's what it takes, and if we're going to spend some time in that location.

And yes, we'll also pay good money to be "where the action is". Saving money staying somewhere cheaper in the boonies, but then spending precious vacation time hiking in from there, is a false economy IMO.

All that said, we've starting getting Air B&Bs for some nights on the last few vacations we've done. (Remember vacations? Those were the days...) Those can be tough to beat!
"Stay on target!" -- Davish Krail
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

FIREmeup wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:34 pmLake Louise paid $600 for lakeview room at the Chateau as opposed to $150 at one in town away from the lake. The view was breathtaking, hiking right from there was well worth it.
Chateau Lake Louise lakeview rooms are lovely.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

For decades I would stay at the least expensive motels, but in the last few years had migrated to mid-price. So, Holiday Inn Express, or Best Western Plus, or Hampton... something like that. But you can't completely generalize: sometimes a Motel6 or similar is very nice and in a good area. I haven't stayed in a motel for almost exactly one year now. Having spent well over a thousand nights in motels that wasn't something I'd ever thought would happen until maybe I was much older. Now I'm looking at probably another year of no motels as the pandemic continues.
nigel_ht

Post by nigel_ht »

Hampton Inn has been our go to for driving vacations. Sky's the limit for flying trips within reason. We tend to spring for suites vs 2 rooms to sleep 5. AirBnB when we can find something nice in the same price range and location.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

We stayed at Park Hyatts during our last two vacations. Milan and Kyoto. Both were excellent.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

I've tried to keep it under $100 in the continental US, in hotels which offer a decent breakfast. Lately, I have had to go above that.
In Europe,I try to stay at B&B's ,but staying under 100 euro is hard.

For work:
The conferences that I attend have over 10K attendees, so I am lucky if I can book a basic room under $300. I've had breakfast be $18 not counting tip, so I try to scout out a McDonald's and pick up a breakfast sandwich and coffee on the way.
Topic Author
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

Seasonal wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:34 pm

We stayed at Park Hyatts during our last two vacations. Milan and Kyoto. Both were excellent.
I am partial to Park Hyatts...earns me points to add to my Hyatt account and I've found the quality and service to be on par with the Four Seasons which is probably the standard-bearer as far as luxury hotels go.
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

runner3081 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:01 pm We stopped visiting hotels about 5-years ago. It is all Airbnb now. We try not to exceed $175 per night.
Wow, I’ve found Airbnb is always a ripoff. They try to charge hotel prices for accommodations that are inconsistent, kinda grody and not clean. Plus you have to pay fees on top. So much cheaper to just book directly from a nice hotel.
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

For driving trips we usually stay at Hampton Inns. They typically run about $110 - $130 per night, unless they are on the water or in a prime location.
dstac

Post by dstac »

runner3081 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:01 pm We stopped visiting hotels about 5-years ago. It is all Airbnb now. We try not to exceed $175 per night.
Is that before or after the fees? Every time I think I find something good, the prices skyrocket with all the fees.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Workaholic wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:09 pm If you're going on vacation, do you generally have a limit as to how much you will spend on a hotel room?
For me, it was all about my net worth. When I was younger and wasn't worth much, I stayed in what ever motel was cheapest and probably didn't have fleas or random bullets to worry about. As my net worth increased and a night out became less significant, I started staying in better ones. Right now, we mostly use Marriott.
Hoosierbogle

Post by Hoosierbogle »

FIREmeup wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:34 pm
Our honeymoon, in Maui we chose a cheaper option, still nice but $300 range, no view since we knew we would be out on the island the entire time exploring...when we went to Kauai, it was with a plan of more relaxation and on the resort so paid up for the view and better room, about $800 a night.

Koa Kea, by any chance? If so, that was money well spent. One of my favorite spots in the world!
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

I usually spend between $150-350 before fees a night. I can usually find good deals at Costco.
dstac

Post by dstac »

Some interesting ranges in this thread. Amazing how much my habits/needs/budget have changed over the last 15 years. Today, for pleasure I'm usually ~$200, except when using points, then 2x or 3x. We seem to go between the budget w/breakfast (Hyatt Place/HIX/Hampton) and the resort facilities.

When traveling solo/work/etc I'll spend about the same but usually aim for slightly nicer properties (Regency/Kimpton/Hilton). If it's work with hosting responsibilities top tier: Fairmont/Conrad/IC/Mandarin and ~$400/nt

As others have said the markets are so regional price can vary widely. Going to NM later this year for outdoor recreation and hotels are all <$100/nt, but maybe that's pandemic. Had to be in Philadelphia for a couple of nights late last year & paid $150 for a Kimpton but got upgraded to a 1BR suite overlooking Independence Hall. Things are so weird right now.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

Workaholic wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:55 pm
Seasonal wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:34 pm We stayed at Park Hyatts during our last two vacations. Milan and Kyoto. Both were excellent.
I am partial to Park Hyatts...earns me points to add to my Hyatt account and I've found the quality and service to be on par with the Four Seasons which is probably the standard-bearer as far as luxury hotels go.
In case you're not already aware, https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury- ... ravel-220/ is a good source of luxury hotel info.

If available, the option to pay with cash, then use points to upgrade to a premium suite, can often work very nicely ("Room upgrades on paid nights").
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Seasonal wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:22 pm
FIREmeup wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:34 pmLake Louise paid $600 for lakeview room at the Chateau as opposed to $150 at one in town away from the lake. The view was breathtaking, hiking right from there was well worth it.
Stay on the Gold Floor though. One of the few, if not only, Fairmont property where the Gold Floor is truly worth it.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

FoolStreet wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:07 pm
Wow, I’ve found Airbnb is always a ripoff. They try to charge hotel prices for accommodations that are inconsistent, kinda grody and not clean. Plus you have to pay fees on top. So much cheaper to just book directly from a nice hotel.
Disagree. We have stayed multiple times per year in Airbnb in popular places and other locations. All great deals - hotels can't touch the prices we have paid to be a block from the beach in California. We also enjoy having our own kitchen which saves on food costs.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

dstac wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:11 pm
Is that before or after the fees? Every time I think I find something good, the prices skyrocket with all the fees.
After the fees.

$175 is rare (and high for us - that is the top we have paid), to be honest. We try to spend 6-7 nights and no more than $1k for our Airbnb spend, that is inclusive of all fees.

Looking at a few recent stays:
Newport Beach - 2 blocks from the ocean - $735 for 5 nights
Carlsbad - 2 blocks from beach - $931 for 6 nights
Payson AZ Area - 7 nights for $850
Topic Author
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

This thread is quite interesting...there is a huge variety...more so than I actually suspected. I figured most Bogleheads would fall squarely within the "midpriced" realm of say $200-$300/ night but obviously that's not the case.

I guess I book based on the property itself and the location, amenities, etc- never pay too much attention to the price unless it's exorbitant (say in excess of $800+ night). I probably tend to splurge a bit more on hotels when we travel and probably average somewhere in the $400/$500 night range depending of course on location. Some were worth it, others weren't.

I really wish Four Seasons had a rewards program...I've enjoyed their properties but I tend to usually book a Park Hyatt or Grand Hyatt if all things are equal simply because those Hyatt points can really add up quite quickly.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

When I went hiking over there, it was super busy on the trails even first thing in the morning. Very popular location.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

It depends (obviously) on what kind of trip and what options are available. I don't mind staying at a hotel that's not very fancy. But sometimes a hotel with the right ambiance and service can make a trip even more memorable. For example, my stay at the Augustine in Prague, converted from a medieval monastery, was unforgettable and absolutely worth the expense (in points). And a hotel doesn't have to be extravagantly expensive or luxurious to have character or be memorable.

If choosing mainly among chain-type hotels, I prefer brands like Courtyard, Residence Inn, and Hyatt Place, which tend to provide better value than more traditional "full-service" business hotels, whose offerings (business center, room service, etc.) have become less relevant.
Last edited by 02nz on Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

Typically about $100-$150. Any more and I get a little squeamish.
Typical brands I like are Embassy Suites, Fairfield (which I like a little more than Hampton), TownePlace Suites.
IHG Group is a little unpredictable, but occasionally we'll do Holiday Inn Express.
Typically when I stay in nicer "business class" types like full-line Hilton, Intercontinental, and Marriott, they just seem too stuffy and too hooked on incidentals.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

Random Poster wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:42 pm
Stay on the Gold Floor though. One of the few, if not only, Fairmont property where the Gold Floor is truly worth it.
We were about to do that last year and then ...
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

In Europe it's Relais & Chateaux, Four Seasons, or similar properties. Same in the U.S. if going on a destination vacation. If just stopping on the road en route to somewhere while driving, any mid-price reputable hotel. If on my motorcycle, as another posting said, cheap and cheerful does just fine. So, it's situationally dependent.
Last edited by GmanJeff on Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

Workaholic wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:09 pm do you normally stay at the lower-end hotels such as a Holiday Inn
:shock:

I only recently upgraded to Holiday Inns because of IHG credit card promotions. Even then, I regularly stay at their cheaper properties (I'm particularly fond of Candlewood Suites). I can usually find these from $60-$150, depending on time and place of course.

I used to always do extensive price comparison and shopping across multiple travel sites and direct bookings, and I would usually go with the absolute cheapest rat hole motel I could find. However, this is one of those areas where I've eased up on the gas a bit as we've hit higher net worth milestones. Yes, hotel rooms are "just a place to sleep", but honestly, the older I get (I say that like I'm old; I'm still relatively young, but aging is a gradual process), the more I value my time and energy. I just don't get to vacation as often as I'd like, and when I do, I want to be comfortable and well-rested. I also admire nice buildings and have kind of a silly aspiration to own something like a hotel or a casino some day. It's unlikely I ever will because I have absolutely no experience in those industries, and they can be very capital-intensive, but staying at nicer properties helps me fantasize about it just a little.

Also, to those who have mostly stayed at cheaper properties with good results, a lot of the "value" of nicer properties is not so much in the practicality of any given stay, but the likelihood that repeated stays over time will avoid major issues. I've never had a downright BAD experience in anything from extended stay Candlewood Suites type level all the way up to the few really high-end hotels I've stayed in. After doing a fair bit of traveling in recent years though, I have had a few TERRIBLE experiences in cheap properties. One was a Travelodge that we would stay in because it was just a block away from my grandparents. We didn't have any issues with it despite being cheap, until one time we visited, it was pouring rain, and the water was dripping through the ceiling in various places with a horrible rusty color. Before then we had no reason to look up. If we had, we would have noticed the various discolored and lumpy spots where water damage appeared to have been left unattended for years. Another stay was at a Vagabond Inn. That place had all the cliche nightmare issues like flies, mold, and broken appliances, but the worst part was that several rooms appeared to have plumbing emergencies involving sewage coming up through the pipes into all the sinks and tubs. I was one of several residents who tried to plunge toilets on behalf of the establishment that night, and the one guy on desk duty didn't seem to have any plan to address the issues. He also claimed he couldn't move us to another room because the reservation was managed by a third-party site, as if that should have anything to do with getting us out of a room full of sewage. These experiences made me appreciate that the more expensive properties rely on those higher prices to cover maintenance and renovation costs. You might get lucky and have a decent sleep in a rock-bottom motel, but play your luck long enough and eventually you'll have a bad experience. A $40 room rate simply doesn't provide enough margin to take proper care of a property in most places, so I think it's a bit unfair to call the nicer places expensive when the reality is the cheaper places are basically offloading cost onto future customers in the form of less maintenance and declining quality over time.

I often feel like I'm the only millennial who just isn't interested in AirBnB. I get the appeal of the business model. We recently bought a home and I'm even considering renting out a spare room on AirBnB once the pandemic is over. I just prefer not to stay in them myself, unless I have a very specific reason to prefer them like staying with several family members in a larger house, which we did for my cousin's PhD graduation. If I'm just traveling with my wife, I just feel much more comfortable staying in a hotel. I can check in whenever I arrive, move to another room if there's an issue, and the boundaries between what I can and can't do are very clear. Staying in someone's house just feels fraught with peril, kind of like mixing financial assets before marriage or not planning one's estate before passing. Unless the house is 100% dedicated to renting out on AirBnB, if the owners live there, it seems really difficult to separate business from personal life. Like if I'm staying in someone's house and am explicitly allowed to sleep in their bed, am I also allowed to rummage through their closets and filing cabinets? I realize this stuff should come down to basic etiquette for most people, and I certainly would not go out of my way to violate anyone's privacy, but there are probably gray areas, such as whether I can pick something off someone's fruit tree with a large supply of fruits, or whether I can grab a drink from someone's main fridge if they explicitly provided a mini fridge for guests but did not say anything about the main one. I've heard that AirBnB can be much cheaper in some locations, but I'm still more than happy to pay for a good hotel that is creating jobs and dedicated to the business of hospitality.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

Workaholic wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:53 pmI really wish Four Seasons had a rewards program...I've enjoyed their properties but I tend to usually book a Park Hyatt or Grand Hyatt if all things are equal simply because those Hyatt points can really add up quite quickly.
There had been rumors that they were going to announce a rewards program in January of this year. There is an invitation only FS elite program. Booking through a FS preferred partner travel agent can get you some benefits.
Notsobad

Post by Notsobad »

Mostly Try to stick with 4 star properties, which will carry in price depending on location and session.

The boutique hotels seem to be a better value, but many of them have been night up by chains like Mariott.

We have good luck with condo and house rentals through Airbnb for longer stays. These all appear to have been full time professional rentals.
Topic Author
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

dboeger1 wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:24 pm
Workaholic wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:09 pm do you normally stay at the lower-end hotels such as a Holiday Inn
:shock:

I only recently upgraded to Holiday Inns because of IHG credit card promotions. Even then, I regularly stay at their cheaper properties (I'm particularly fond of Candlewood Suites). I can usually find these from $60-$150, depending on time and place of course.

I often feel like I'm the only millennial who just isn't interested in AirBnB. I get the appeal of the business model. We recently bought a home and I'm even considering renting out a spare room on AirBnB once the pandemic is over. I just prefer not to stay in them myself, unless I have a very specific reason to prefer them like staying with several family members in a larger house, which we did for my cousin's PhD graduation. If I'm just traveling with my wife, I just feel much more comfortable staying in a hotel. I can check in whenever I arrive, move to another room if there's an issue, and the boundaries between what I can and can't do are very clear. Staying in someone's house just feels fraught with peril, kind of like mixing financial assets before marriage or not planning one's estate before passing. Unless the house is 100% dedicated to renting out on AirBnB, if the owners live there, it seems really difficult to separate business from personal life. Like if I'm staying in someone's house and am explicitly allowed to sleep in their bed, am I also allowed to rummage through their closets and filing cabinets? I realize this stuff should come down to basic etiquette for most people, and I certainly would not go out of my way to violate anyone's privacy, but there are probably gray areas, such as whether I can pick something off someone's fruit tree with a large supply of fruits, or whether I can grab a drink from someone's main fridge if they explicitly provided a mini fridge for guests but did not say anything about the main one. I've heard that AirBnB can be much cheaper in some locations, but I'm still more than happy to pay for a good hotel that is creating jobs and dedicated to the business of hospitality.
Didn't mean to cause an offense by my comment...in the grand scheme of hotel hierarchy I would place Holiday Inn on the lower tier relative to the entire spectrum.

I'm not a millennial but I'm 30 and I find Airbnb to have zero appeal. I appreciate getting room service, having a maid make up my bed and offer turn down service, and just generally feel more comfortable in a nice hotel than in someone else's home. My friends rent airbnb's and it works for them but I simply have zero interest in staying in a house that isn't mine. The only way I would POSSIBLY consider this is if I was going to stay in a location, say like Hawaii, for the winter months. For that amount of time, I would probably consider it as I would utilize the laundry facilities and kitchen.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

We like nice hotels but only on points/rewards!
Had a great run with Fairmont credit card points a few years ago. I digress.
2 to 300 is our sweet spot. I start getting heartburn when the daily rate gets over 400. Very rarely have I spent 500 (a NYE trip to Phuket comes to mind).

Above 600 is insane to me. Esp when factoring additional food, and day trip/guide costs (which we highly value).

We prob average 20 nights away a year. So that's a factor too.
Death and taxes. Only one is under your control!
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Seasonal wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:15 pm
Random Poster wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:42 pm
We were about to do that last year and then ...
Note, though, that the Gold Floor lounge does not have a view of the lake.

Some people are not aware of that, so they book a non-lake view room thinking that they can just see the lake from the lounge, but then realize upon checking in that they probably made a mistake.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

I like nice hotels, but am not excited about paying for them. My compromise there is to use credit card sign up bonuses/points. So last trip to Hawaii we stayed in the Kauai Grand Hyatt and two nice Hiltons on the big island using points.

If I'm paying cash, I'm more inclined to go mid end. Say Marriott level. It also depends to a degree how much time I'll be spending in the hotel. If I'm going to be literally only sleeping in the room I'm more on board with it being towards the lower end.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

As little as possible.

Points from DWs previous travel and our CC rewards. If those aren't available, we aim for budget and with a kitchen depending on the itinerary.
Camping usually preferred.

CLL - We went to Banff a couple of months before covid. Stayed in town with a full kitchen, wood burning fireplace suite and heated underground parking - cheapest place we could find :) also had a heated indoor waterslide! 1/6-1/10 of Chateau Lake Louise price. Our big splurge for the trip was tea there, though. It was an "experience". We then walked the lake. This was after a 1/2 day snowboarding too. I don't think we would have fit in with the clientele that actually book Chateau lodging. Afternoon tea was stretching it already.
Great trip - got to enjoy freezing (below!) cold walks to dinner in town. Sunrise hike. The waterfall hike. Day trip drive up to the glaciers. All the stuff that people paid extra for that stay at the fancy places; no extra charge for DIY - lol
Topic Author
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

Da5id wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:50 pm

I like nice hotels, but am not excited about paying for them. My compromise there is to use credit card sign up bonuses/points. So last trip to Hawaii we stayed in the Kauai Grand Hyatt and two nice Hiltons on the big island using points.

If I'm paying cash, I'm more inclined to go mid end. Say Marriott level. It also depends to a degree how much time I'll be spending in the hotel. If I'm going to be literally only sleeping in the room I'm more on board with it being towards the lower end.
I definitely utilize credit card points as well however I started using them for higher-end properties and now my DW and family are accustomed to NICE accommodations so it was sort of a double-edged sword. Yes we got tons of free nights at very expensive properties but now they expect to stay at those same properties even when we have to pay the cash rate.

As an aside...how did you like the GH Kauai?! We are going to Hawaii for 2 weeks in December and are staying at the HHV in Waikiki for 6 nights and then heading over to Kauai to stay 4 nights at the Grand Hyatt. Booked a club level room so I'm hoping the Grand Club is open by then. Never been to Kauai but we honeymooned in Maui and had a blast!
Topic Author
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:45 pm We like nice hotels but only on points/rewards!
Had a great run with Fairmont credit card points a few years ago. I digress.
2 to 300 is our sweet spot. I start getting heartburn when the daily rate gets over 400. Very rarely have I spent 500 (a NYE trip to Phuket comes to mind).

Above 600 is insane to me. Esp when factoring additional food, and day trip/guide costs (which we highly value).

We prob average 20 nights away a year. So that's a factor too.
It's even worse when you pay $600+ for a mediocre room at peak travel season... :oops:
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

Workaholic wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:59 pm As an aside...how did you like the GH Kauai?! We are going to Hawaii for 2 weeks in December and are staying at the HHV in Waikiki for 6 nights and then heading over to Kauai to stay 4 nights at the Grand Hyatt. Booked a club level room so I'm hoping the Grand Club is open by then. Never been to Kauai but we honeymooned in Maui and had a blast!
I've been to Hawaii 7 times now, a number of them when I was a kid. I love visiting. Hawaii and Kauai are my favorite two islands, Oahu least favorite. The Grand Hyatt on Kauai is really gorgeous. The previous time I went to Kauai we didn't stay in the hotel but ate brunch there a number of days. We liked it enough that this time we stayed there for our 3 nights on Kauai. Very nice facility, beautiful pool area. I'd not pay cash for it (what is it, $500/night or something?) but was quite happy to pay with points. And did pay for the expensive brunch, but it was a fine way to start out day.
Topic Author
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

Da5id wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:10 pm
Workaholic wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:59 pm As an aside...how did you like the GH Kauai?! We are going to Hawaii for 2 weeks in December and are staying at the HHV in Waikiki for 6 nights and then heading over to Kauai to stay 4 nights at the Grand Hyatt. Booked a club level room so I'm hoping the Grand Club is open by then. Never been to Kauai but we honeymooned in Maui and had a blast!
I've been to Hawaii 7 times now, a number of them when I was a kid. I love visiting. Hawaii and Kauai are my favorite two islands, Oahu least favorite. The Grand Hyatt on Kauai is really gorgeous. The previous time I went to Kauai we didn't stay in the hotel but ate brunch there a number of days. We liked it enough that this time we stayed there for our 3 nights on Kauai. Very nice facility, beautiful pool area. I'd not pay cash for it (what is it, $500/night or something?) but was quite happy to pay with points. And did pay for the expensive brunch, but it was a fine way to start out day.
When we booked, Hyatt was running a promotion for something like $480/ night but it seems the regular rate is somewhere between $500-$550. Our club level room was $850 night. I actually just looked and it appears they are sold out at the moment of the club level. Curious if people are starting to think travel with resume with some sort of normalcy by this fall/winter.

My family is quite excited about all of the pools...I'm excited to watch them with a bucket of beer while my toes are in the water :sharebeer .
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

Workaholic wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:59 pm I definitely utilize credit card points as well however I started using them for higher-end properties and now my DW and family are accustomed to NICE accommodations so it was sort of a double-edged sword. Yes we got tons of free nights at very expensive properties but now they expect to stay at those same properties even when we have to pay the cash rate.
That's an interesting point. There's a saying that if you can't afford multiple of something, you can't afford one. I think that's a decent guideline for hotels, since anything beyond the basic necessities is pretty much an unnecessary luxury. If going to a fancy hotel will cause you to struggle with mortgage payments, it's probably not worth it. At some point, once you save enough, it just makes sense to spend more to have a nicer vacation even if it's not an amazing deal. If you can comfortably afford those nicer places without making a noticeable dent in your savings, and the reward is a more memorable and relaxed vacation, it's probably okay. I guess it depends on the length of stay too.

I'm at a point where I can spend up to $150 per night for the longest stays I'm likely to have without bothering to tally up the total cost, so that's kind of where I cap my budget these days. I might spend up to $250 for 1 or 2 nights in a nice place (I'm particularly fond of Kimpton because we have a dog now, but I hate their insistence on only providing valet parking, even in cities where space is plentiful). I'm sure as I save and invest more, those numbers will go up for me. The savings I used to get from shopping for the cheapest rooms just aren't worth my time anymore. I now just use whichever brand loyalty program I'm most invested in (currently IHG, but I have several), and book the most sensible choice directly. Even if I save $20 shopping around, after accounting for quality of service and overall experience, the savings just really doesn't make sense to me anymore. I remember when I would gladly jump in a gladiator pit and hope to be the last one alive for an extra $20, but those days are thankfully behind me.
Lexx

Post by Lexx »

As much as I like the nicer resort hotels, I hate paying that much for them. So if my wife (who has a bona fide travel agent card), can't get us a deal, we're not staying there. For example, I can get 3 nights at the Grand Hyatt Kauai for $279/night compared to the regular rate of almost $500/night. It still adds up because you have to eat all your meals out, and on vacation that's going to cost us $200/day with a family of 5. So by the time you add up airplane tickets/accommodations/rental car/meals/etc, it's about $7-8k/week. And I'm LOATHE to spending that much on a vacation.

What we do more frequently now, is to take the RV out. We'll typically spend the entire summer on the road with the kids. I get to sleep on my own memory foam mattress and eat my own healthier cooking. I don't have to worry about who slept in my bed the night before. And we can bring out dog with us everywhere.