Cheap Passport Photos

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ShadowCat

Cheap Passport Photos

Post by ShadowCat »

Any advice on where/how to get cheap passport photos? I need eight total (four each for two persons). Passport photos appear to cost around $15 per person at Walgreens which seems like a scam. Lots of sketchy websites online advertising cheaper costs but I'd be more willing to trust them if someone here has personal experience.
CharlesG

Re: Cheap Passport Photos

Post by CharlesG »

Costco (membership required).
Topic Author
ShadowCat

Post by ShadowCat »

CharlesG wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:21 pm Costco (membership required).
Can I go in with a friend who has a membership if I dont have one myself? Or I guess alternatively anything stopping said friend from just printing the photos for me?

How much does it cost?
megabad

Post by megabad »

I take my visa photos myself and then print at Walmart/Walgreens for 30 cents each or so and then cut them out. I am pretty handy with photoshop though and I do have to alter them all (brightness, size, etc).

Otherwise years ago I went to AAA. Maybe they still do this in your area?
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

Years ago when we needed passport photos for our kids, we had them stand against a white wall in our home, and made sure that there was good, natural light so we could get that head shot photo. Then husband printed the small photos out. They turned out pretty good. It did take a little bit of time, but it would probably have taken the same amount of time if we had to go some place to get them done.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

If you do elect to go a cheaper / non-professional passport photo route, be sure to lookout for things that may cause the photo to be rejected
https://www.us-passport-service-guide.c ... ected.html
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

OnTrack2020 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:39 pm Years ago when we needed passport photos for our kids, we had them stand against a white wall in our home, and made sure that there was good, natural light so we could get that head shot photo. Then husband printed the small photos out. They turned out pretty good. It did take a little bit of time, but it would probably have taken the same amount of time if we had to go some place to get them done.
This^^^. Literally just did this for my spouse (no photoshopping needed). If the OP does not have a photo printer, as the other poster suggested print the photo at Walgreens for cheap and cut to size.

Post by 123 »

In January we paid $6 for each person (got 4 prints) at Costco. They take the photo and print them.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
TX_TURTLE

Post by TX_TURTLE »

Costco is shutting down its photo department. Try Walmart instead. Should be about $7.50 for two passport pictures.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Fedex Kinko has always provided me with excellent service on passport photos.
medinme

Post by medinme »

You can get an app for your phone just search for passport photo in google playstore. There are tons to choose from there. It will give you the right sizing to take your photo and will give you the right proportions. Then just print out at Walgreens for 10c. We were able to do this for 2 adults and our 4 kids and it worked well.
CharlesG

Post by CharlesG »

Thanks TX_Turtle for heads-up about Costco shutting down photo services... this from costco.com website now:

"The photo department at all Costco locations will close on Sunday, February 14, 2021...
...The following services will not be available after Sunday, February 14, 2021:
Ink Refill
Passport Photos
Photo Restoration - place your order by February 3, 2021
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Sincerely,
Costco Photo Center"
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

ShadowCat wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:16 pm Any advice on where/how to get cheap passport photos? I need eight total (four each for two persons). Passport photos appear to cost around $15 per person at Walgreens which seems like a scam. Lots of sketchy websites online advertising cheaper costs but I'd be more willing to trust them if someone here has personal experience.
I used a decent camera (not a phone) and took photos against a white (ish) wall. I used Irfanview to put six photos on 4x6, and printed out at a drug store for maybe 25 cents. Worked very well and there were no issues. Except for going to the pharmacy, it took maybe 5 minutes of time.

Check the passport photo requirements for proper sizing and other requirements. Consider getting a passport card at the same time.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

megabad wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:39 pm I take my visa photos myself and then print at Walmart/Walgreens for 30 cents each or so and then cut them out. I am pretty handy with photoshop though and I do have to alter them all (brightness, size, etc).

Otherwise years ago I went to AAA. Maybe they still do this in your area?
+1

Did it for two passports. No problems at all. White background, no glasses/hats, natural pose, no/minimize shadows. Photoshop to trim image to size. Last couple of times, CVS had a promo where a 4x6 was free. Use an Xacto knife and a straight edge to trim to 2x2.

Picture requirements are here:
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... hotos.html
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

ShadowCat wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:16 pm Any advice on where/how to get cheap passport photos? I need eight total (four each for two persons). Passport photos appear to cost around $15 per person at Walgreens which seems like a scam. Lots of sketchy websites online advertising cheaper costs but I'd be more willing to trust them if someone here has personal experience.
1. I take picture against white background - interior wall painted white works perfect for me. Try my best so that the photo conforms US passport photo measurement (distance from top of the head to bottom of the chin) requirement.
2. Open the picture on MS Paint
3. Crop the picture if I need to but maintain border on all sides
4. Save the picture
5. Highlight the picture and then copy
6. open a new instance of MS Paint - a blank paint window opens
7. Paste the picture (copied in step 5) 6 times
8. Align the pictures in two rows - 3 on first row and 3 on 2nd row
8a. Passport photos are 2x2. 3 on first row makes the size 2x6. Same on 2nd row. Putting these together, I get 1 4x6 size photo containing 6 small photos.
9. Save the newly created picture
10. Take the picture to a local store where print-yourself-picture service is available
11. Print the picture on size 4x6 borderless for 29 to 40 cents

This works for me. Have done this several times for myself and my family. No issue.

-Metsfan91
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
supalong52

Post by supalong52 »

Take a picture of yourself against a white background. Upload the photo to a site like this one: https://www.epassportphoto.com/95/Free/ ... port/step1. It will prepare a 4x6 photo with 5 or 6 passport photos. Have it printed at a CVS or Walgreens for $0.19. Now you have a bunch of passport photos.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I think AAA still does them if a member. Also, the last set I had done, I did myself with an Android app (can't remember the name).
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

JoMoney wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:42 pm If you do elect to go a cheaper / non-professional passport photo route, be sure to lookout for things that may cause the photo to be rejected
This is my thinking. We just renewed our passports, and we got our photos done at a local CVS that offered passport photos. The issuing authorities are pretty picky about the specs of the photos, and the CVS guys advertised that their setup produced pics that met all the requirements. Given that we only renew passports every ten years, and that the cost (non-refundable) of the renewal itself is $110 per person plus shipping, I didn't mind the $15 per person bite to avoid a chance that photos that I produced might be rejected and I would have to try again.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

If Walgreens is too expensive for you, you can take your own photos. Do a Google search for passport photo requirements.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
retire14

DIY. All advice above are good

Post by retire14 »

Get an app on your phone. It will automatically save 4 photos on a 4x6. Bring file to CVS and print.
midareff

Post by midareff »

CVS does them at rip rate as well. .. as does UPS Stores. Alternative if you have a photo printer and some photo software is a do it yourself.
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:00 am
JoMoney wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:42 pm If you do elect to go a cheaper / non-professional passport photo route, be sure to lookout for things that may cause the photo to be rejected
This is my thinking. We just renewed our passports, and we got our photos done at a local CVS that offered passport photos. The issuing authorities are pretty picky about the specs of the photos, and the CVS guys advertised that their setup produced pics that met all the requirements. Given that we only renew passports every ten years, and that the cost (non-refundable) of the renewal itself is $110 per person plus shipping, I didn't mind the $15 per person bite to avoid a chance that photos that I produced might be rejected and I would have to try again.
This was also my thinking. My wife and I just renewed our passports. I happily paid the $15 charge at Walgreens, knowing that the photo met the standards of the State Department. I did not want to run the risk of the application being denied due to a photo that was off.

On a related note, the State Department tells you that the processing time for renewals is 10-12 weeks. Our passports arrived yesterday and took 33 days from start to finish.
EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore »

+1 for epassportphoto . Works well. Then you can send to Costco.com for printing. Costco closing store photo departments, but online photo department is very quick and good results.

Online at Costco 17 cents for passport photo. No membership required for online.
Topic Author
ShadowCat

Post by ShadowCat »

Metsfan91 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:09 am
1. I take picture against white background - interior wall painted white works perfect for me. Try my best so that the photo conforms US passport photo measurement (distance from top of the head to bottom of the chin) requirement.
4. Save the picture
8a. Passport photos are 2x2. 3 on first row makes the size 2x6. Same on 2nd row. Putting these together, I get 1 4x6 size photo containing 6 small photos.
10. Take the picture to a local store where print-yourself-picture service is available

This works for me. Have done this several times for myself and my family. No issue.

-Metsfan91
This is brilliant, thank you! I ended up doing this and it worked great. Showed up right at 9am to my Walgreens this morning, walked out a few minutes ago with photos. Minimal charge. Many, many thanks :beer
Last edited by ShadowCat on Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
ShadowCat

Post by ShadowCat »

Shallowpockets wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:57 am $15 at Walgreens sounds like a scam to you? To me it is $15. Not a big deal. Are you too poor?
In the time it took for you to post and then the subsequent reading of replies over > 1 day you could have gone to Walgreens and been done with it. Or Costco, or other places.
I see no problem here at all.
I can easily afford it, it's more out of principle. They get away with charging how much they charge due to the philosophy that you just described of just acquiescing to the cost. I'll freely concede that this may be an utterly silly hill to die on, but if I don't die on this hill then I'll have to look for another possibly even stranger hill. So this one will do :wink:

Thanks to everyone else in this thread for their suggestions, appreciate it!
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Passport photos require flat lighting, face facing front and no side or tilt angles, etc, and come out looking either like a DMV driver's license photo or a mug shot.

The convenience of having them done fairly instantly by CVS and all that might outweigh the hassle of doing it oneself or by a pro photo studio. IMHO: They just aren't gonna end up looking like those 8 x 10 super model celebrity photoshopped glossies that are given to fans. Shucks!

Actionably and on topic:
It's not much money either way, go to Walgreens or CVS, etc. There's not a whole lot of difference in the results so convience is a huge factor.

Though I am a fan of glamour style and quality photography, I know what side of the camera I belong. :shock: :shock:
j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an off-topic post. As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
At all times we must conduct ourselves in a respectful manner to other posters. Attacks on individuals, insults, name calling, trolling, baiting or other attempts to sow dissension are not acceptable.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
beyou

Post by beyou »

TX_TURTLE wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:45 pm Costco is shutting down its photo department. Try Walmart instead. Should be about $7.50 for two passport pictures.
Walmart charges that price if you take the photo and upload for them to print.
CVS and others take the photo onsite and print, not apples to apples comparison.

That said, can you just use an app to take a selfie and upload to Walmart, they will print it for $7.50.
They said 1 hr pickup or delivery of the photos.
Chip Munk

Post by Chip Munk »

Metsfan91 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:09 am
4. Save the picture

-Metsfan91
I've been taking and home printing my own and DH's passport photos for over a decade, including for my passport renewal last year. I prefer to take my own photo because I can take several shots and choose the one I prefer. When I needed to renew my passport last summer, I was glad I could avoid a trip to a store and having to remove my mask to get a photo taken.

The only thing I would add to the information above is to use two sources of light, placed diagonally to the left and right sides of the subject, to eliminate shadows behind the subject's head. I have a couple of old floor lamps that are easy to move to the room with the white wall that I use for the background for passport photos.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

at home against white wall with iphone, googled for software. very easy
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

$15 ÷ $15K (3 trips to Europe) = .001 or 1/10%
Sweat the big stuff and not the small.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
jayjayc

Post by jayjayc »

Drugstores, AAA, Walmart do not employ professional photographers to take your passport photo. Not that a passport photo requires a professional. There's nothing special about a white background. Download any passport photo app on your phone and it's ridiculously easy. The app will ensure that the top of your head to your chin is within 1in to 1 3/8in per the state dept's requirements and output a 2x2in photo. Then it'll paste 6 photos onto 1 standard 4x6 print that you can upload to any photo printing service. I used Walmart and it cost me $0.10.

DW normally prefers to use passport services (these passport apps weren't ubiquitous 10 years ago). However, there was no way she'd take off her mask while inside a store, even for a second, so I took her photo with an app. She stood in front of our white door and 5 seconds later she was done.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:38 am Passport photos require flat lighting, face facing front and no side or tilt angles, etc, and come out looking either like a DMV driver's license photo or a mug shot.

The convenience of having them done fairly instantly by CVS and all that might outweigh the hassle of doing it oneself or by a pro photo studio. IMHO: They just aren't gonna end up looking like those 8 x 10 super model celebrity photoshopped glossies that are given to fans. Shucks!

Actionably and on topic:
It's not much money either way, go to Walgreens or CVS, etc. There's not a whole lot of difference in the results so convience is a huge factor.

Though I am a fan of glamour style and quality photography, I know what side of the camera I belong. :shock: :shock:
j :D
There is no point going to a pro studio for a US passport photo. There was a time when it made sense when the photo you submitted was physically the actual photo in the passport.

Current passport is a printout from a scan of the photo you send in. Thus you only need to send in one photo instead of the old requirement of two photos. Whatever lighting setup the professional photographer calibrated will be lost in translation by DoS’ scanning and printing equipment.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

I wouldn't risk being cheap here. It's not worth trying a DIY solution and having the passport app rejected because the picture isn't perfect. Passport app processing times are really, really long these days. It took us several months to get ours back. I wouldn't want to have to go to the end of the line because something is wrong with my homemade photo.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

ShadowCat wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:16 pm Any advice on where/how to get cheap passport photos? I need eight total (four each for two persons).
Curious as to why you need four photos for each person? I just renewed my passport and only needed a single picture.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

It's not rocket science. The DoS requirements are posted above. Just did a child passport last year. Found out after submission there was a slight shadow under the chin. No issue with DoS. So it does not have to be perfect to the letter. IMO, the requirements are more relaxed these days as the physical photo is not used in the passport but a scanned copy. There is more leeway for DoS to correct for some issues. What they can't correct for is facial expression/glasses/hat etc.

I can assure you that the CVS store clerk did not take a certification course on taking a passport picture. If anything, the CVS clerk has less incentive in getting it letter perfect than you. The most CVS will do if there is a problem is to provide a refund. The time lost due to CVS photo being rejected is still lost.

This is just a time value of money. So if you are doing just one passport, maybe go with passport photo services but if doing several, could make sense to DIY.
Last edited by seawolf21 on Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
MBster

Post by MBster »

I've used the DIY option at epassportphoto.com https://www.epassportphoto.com/95/Free/ ... port/step1 twice for myself and my wife plus once for each of my kids. No problem at all.

Steps:
1) Take picture against a white background
2) Upload picture to epassportphoto then crop per template
3) Save/download generated picture onto USB
4) Bring USB to CVS photo terminal to upload and print as 4x6" print for 25 cents each
5) You get four 2x2 per print
6) Done!
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

dozens of threads on this topic. worth a search
Topic Author
ShadowCat

Post by ShadowCat »

lthenderson wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:42 am
ShadowCat wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:16 pm Any advice on where/how to get cheap passport photos? I need eight total (four each for two persons).
Curious as to why you need four photos for each person? I just renewed my passport and only needed a single picture.
Application for Irish citizenship for our newborn son. For some reason the Irish government requires four passport sized photos of him and four of me.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

ShadowCat wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:48 pm
lthenderson wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:42 am
Application for Irish citizenship for our newborn son. For some reason the Irish government requires four passport sized photos of him and four of me.
Thanks for the answer. I guess it wasn't specified as U.S. passports. And since you may be Irish... :sharebeer
RXfiles

Post by RXfiles »

criticalmass wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:30 pm
I used a decent camera (not a phone) and took photos against a white (ish) wall. I used Irfanview to put six photos on 4x6, and printed out at a drug store for maybe 25 cents. Worked very well and there were no issues. Except for going to the pharmacy, it took maybe 5 minutes of time.

Check the passport photo requirements for proper sizing and other requirements. Consider getting a passport card at the same time.
Most cell phone cameras are more than good enough.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

RXfiles wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:54 pm

Perhaps they are. I described the process that I used. I used a decent camera, not a phone, as I enjoy control of aperture, depth of field, and lighting with my tripod for a good photo. Cell phone cameras don't have good lighting options and taking a photo with wide angle/short lens phone cameras results in the whole face, nose, and eyes appearing wider and face and nose longer than in real life. That wasn't what I was striving for with the photo.

If you have a professional passport photo taken, you may notice that they don't use a cell phone to take the photo.

I wanted similar quality. Since I already own cameras, the total cost was 30¢, not including a walk to a pharmacy.
zincTwo

Post by zincTwo »

Ask your local grocery store chain. I was looking for a pharmacy in an unfamiliar town, asked the grocer where the nearest walgreens was for passport photos... and he replied, "We do passport photos!" It was half the price of the nearest pharmacy, and they used a white wall in their store near the customer service desk.
RXfiles

Post by RXfiles »

criticalmass wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:15 am

Perhaps they are. I described the process that I used. I used a decent camera, not a phone, as I enjoy control of aperture, depth of field, and lighting with my tripod for a good photo. Cell phone cameras don't have good lighting options and taking a photo with wide angle/short lens phone cameras results in the whole face, nose, and eyes appearing wider and face and nose longer than in real life. That wasn't what I was striving for with the photo.

If you have a professional passport photo taken, you may notice that they don't use a cell phone to take the photo.

I wanted similar quality. Since I already own cameras, the total cost was 30¢, not including a walk to a pharmacy.
OP wasn't asking how to get a professional passport photo. My goal is the easiest fastest cheapest way that gets accepted. [Expletive removed by admin LadyGeek] if my pic looks like a professional headshot. You can download an app take a selfie print it at walmart within a couple min.
Last edited by RXfiles on Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stanczyk

Post by Stanczyk »

Did that last week. Walmart was 7.99 for two photos. My Costco no longer has a photo service.
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

UPS Store.

Former Mail Boxes Etc.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

RXfiles wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:03 am

OP wasn't asking how to get a professional passport photo. My goal is the easiest fastest cheapest way that gets accepted. [Expletive removed by admin LadyGeek] if my pic looks like a professional headshot. You can download an app take a selfie print it at walmart within a couple min.
Profanity aside, your writing indicates you greatly misunderstood my post above. I simply explained what I did, and the cost to receive great results (30¢). I did not "get a professional passport photo." If you found a significantly lower price below 30¢ to justify going to Wal-Mart, then good for you. Perhaps you can describe your additional savings. If you want to take selfies and then write obscene language about it at Bogleheads for some reason, that is on you alone.

Personally, I have just enough self pride in an ability to express myself without resorting to profanity use and to not carry a selfie photo around the world in my primary identity document (domestic and abroad).
RXfiles

Post by RXfiles »

criticalmass wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:14 pm
RXfiles wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:03 am

Profanity aside, your writing indicates you greatly misunderstood my post above. I simply explained what I did, and the cost to receive great results (30¢). I did not "get a professional passport photo." If you found a significantly lower price below 30¢ to justify going to Wal-Mart, then good for you. Perhaps you can describe your additional savings. If you want to take selfies and then write obscene language about it at Bogleheads for some reason, that is on you alone.

Personally, I have just enough self pride in an ability to express myself without resorting to profanity use and to not carry a selfie photo around the world in my primary identity document (domestic and abroad).
What a weird response. I wasn't being mean. Just saying you can use a camera phone and selfie. Sorry you took offense.
kryptonic

Post by kryptonic »

I have used both epassportphoto.com and idphoto4you.com; both worked well. They are both free.

I hang a white-backed poster backwards from a door in a well lit room, and have my picture taken with a cell phone. I print with my photo printer at home or have it printed at walmart.

I have done this for multiple passports and visas over the last decade without no issues. It is nice having a stockpile of extra pictures for future visa needs as well.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

We did Walgreens.
Not sure why you feel it a scam. The store cost money to keep up and running - have to employee the people and fund the equipment.
If you want to go cheap you can simply take the photos yourself - guidelines are provided online for print sizes, etc.
$15 is a bargain in my mind.