credit card doesn't work for specific merchant (Toast tab)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
urodoc1

credit card doesn't work for specific merchant (Toast tab)

Post by urodoc1 »

This is a really weird, specific question but I've struck out otherwise so here goes nothing:

My credit card works for every other in person and online retailer except when I try to order takeout with restaurants that use Toast tab. I've tried multiple different cards (they are all chase) and still get the same message - that "there was a problem with your card." With more and more restaurants doing take out only or QR code ordering, this is becoming somewhat of a bigger deal.

I've made sure I have the correct CC number, zip code, and CVV.

I've deleted my web history/cookies. We also tried it from my wife's phone and computer and it didn't work

I've called chase and toast tab - chase doesn't have any sort of block on the app or evidence of any charges being declined. toast tab wasn't helpful (the person I spoke with said this was the first time this had come up)

I feel like an idiot, but I don't know what else to do. Anyone else with this trouble? Any suggestions?
cheese_breath

Re: credit card doesn't work for specific merchant (Toast tab)

Post by cheese_breath »

Get a credit card from somebody other than Chase?
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

As a rule of thumb, you don't want all of your cc to be from the same bank anyway, so I second getting a non chase CC.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Tell the restaurant. Let them know that you've tried Chase, Toast to no avail and if you can't pay with your credit card, the easiest thing for you is to order from another restaurant who doesn't have an issue with your credit card.

They have the most to gain by chasing this down. If you have issues, so do other people who are going somewhere else rather than deal with the hassle. I do that myself. I can go to either of 2 closeby Mexican restaurants. I had issues with ordering on one of their websites and just went to the other restaurant.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Deblog

Post by Deblog »

Same thing happens to us with our chase card but for an online order from a wood working store. Chase did not see any attempts and could not help. We had another card we used after multiple failure. Tried it again on a different order a month later and same thing? Oh well.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

mhalley wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:57 pm As a rule of thumb, you don't want all of your cc to be from the same bank anyway, so I second getting a non chase CC.
Also get that other card from a totally different charge card network.
That is, if you have a VISA card, get a MasterCard or Amex.
There are times when an entire network might go down briefly, although that is pretty rare these days.

But having a second, totally separate, card will be useful if your first card ever gets lost or needs to be blocked due to fraud concerns, etc.
This is especially important when traveling.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

urodoc1 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:31 pm toast tab wasn't helpful (the person I spoke with said this was the first time this had come up)

I feel like an idiot, but I don't know what else to do. Anyone else with this trouble? Any suggestions?
I'd call Toast again. (HUCA - Hang Up Call Again - when the first agent isn't helpful)

And I second the suggestion of others to have credit cards from multiple banks (and multiple flavors, Visa, MC, Amex)
OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner »

Just as a datapoint I have ordered using Toast with my Chase Sapphire Reserve so it's not a total systemic issue.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

urodoc1 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:31 pm I've called chase and toast tab - chase doesn't have any sort of block on the app or evidence of any charges being declined. toast tab wasn't helpful (the person I spoke with said this was the first time this had come up)
As others said, having a non-Chase alternative seems helpful.

Only times I've ever had a card refused were for circumstances that probably triggered some fraud detection algorithm. e.g. pre-paying Cricket Wireless lots of money to capture a credit card bonus (guess Cricket may have more fraud???). If Chase says that wasn't the case, they should be able to tell you why the charge was declined. Or if the charge isn't even getting to your account, maybe toast has done something wrong?
fujiters

Post by fujiters »

I'd try making the purchase through PayPal Key. That's worked for me in a few cases when the issuing bank wouldn't process transactions directly.
“The purpose of the margin of safety is to render the forecast unnecessary.” -Benjamin Graham
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

urodoc1 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:31 pmI've deleted my web history/cookies. We also tried it from my wife's phone and computer and it didn't work
Which browser? Any extensions, such as ad blockers?

Try incognito/private mode or another browser.
inverter

Post by inverter »

It sounds like Toast Tab has a fraud algorithm that is blocking your computer. Can you open a case with them?
Topic Author
urodoc1

Post by urodoc1 »

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. A few things:
-I did try multiple browsers (chrome, safari) and incognito mode on chrome and no go
-I do have an older capital one card that I don't use so I have locked. I could unlock it and start using it more. This is probably worth another thread but how many cards is too many?
-Also like the pay pal key idea
-I think you guys are probably right about triggering the toast tab fraud algorithm - the charge attempt doesn't show up on chase when it happens. The toast tab website and help lines are almost exclusively geared towards restaurants and orgs that use them for billing. Like I said, the person who I talked to was pretty unhelpful (suggested having a restaurant call on my behalf), but I could call back and try to find someone else to talk to.
toasttabuser4ever

Post by toasttabuser4ever »

I returned to this forum many times over the course of the past few months as I tried to resolve this issue. What ended up working for me (after my wife and I tried all of our cards and phone numbers in various combinations with increasing frustration) was setting up Apple Pay and using it to pay for my orders through Toast Tab's app.