Should we afford a new Toyota Sequoia?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TarHeel2002

Should we afford a new Toyota Sequoia?

Post by TarHeel2002 »

Family a 5. 40 yo married with 3 kids (9,7,1). Currently driving 10 year old Toyota Highlander and a 15 year old Toyota Camry. They are running strong and well maintained. Considering new car in 1-2 years. Looking at a Honda Odyssey (36k) or a Toyota Sequoia (60k). I can pay cash for either without affecting our investments.

Currently have:
1MM in investments
50k emergency fund
60k cash for a new car
127k 529

Saving:
87k per year for retirement
15k year for college

Debt:
146k 2.5% fixed 30 year home mortgage
165k 3.8% fixed 15 year business property

Income:
275-300k year

I know we can afford either vehicle I just feel extremely guilty even considering the more expensive Sequoia option. I like the towing ability of the Sequoia (we have a boat) and the size of it for the family vs the highly functional Odyssey. Both are good reliable vehicles we would have for 10-15 years. Looking for any suggestions or advice ...thanks!
livesoft

Re: Should we afford a new Toyota Sequoia?

Post by livesoft »

What are all your neighbors driving nowadays?

What does your brother-in-law drive nowadays?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

A Toyota Sinenna or Honda Odyssey would be more suitable for family of five or more. Sequoia is a truck based SUV, 3rd raw seat is basically useless or take cargo space. Mini Van is much easy to get in and out and ride more smooth like a car.
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

Look, obviously you can afford it. Is it necessary? Obviously not, but that is for you to decide. But here, I give you permission. Tell waifu purchase is approve. You are welcome.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

The Sequoia is so outdated at this point...if I were going to spend ~60k on a vehicle to tow and carry 2 adults + 3 kids, I'd consider something more modern.

What are you towing the boat with now? The Highlander?
linuxology

Post by linuxology »

Difference between being frugal versus cheap and ridiculous. You can easily afford either. Go for it new and it will last many years.
Topic Author
TarHeel2002

Post by TarHeel2002 »

We were all set for a minivan in 1-2 years but then we started thinking if we’re going to have this car for 10+ years maybe we should get the one that has more towing in case we get a heavier boat etc down the line and maybe a heavy SUV is more what we “want”...there ...I said it ..“want”. We actually hang with a pretty frugal group as far as cars go so it’s no keeping up with the Joneses sort of thing. I’d say it’s a want / partly a functional thing too perhaps? Currently hauling the boat with the Highlander but if we get a heavier boat that might not cut it anymore. Highlander maxes at 5000 lbs and i would be hesitant to push it to that. Sequoia pulls 7400 lbs.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Is the Sequoia replacing the Highlander or the Camry?
Topic Author
TarHeel2002

Post by TarHeel2002 »

It would replace the Camry ..which is still running great!

The batteries on the 2021 hybrid Sienna make me hesitant to even consider it since we hold cars so long. I prefer Toyota but if we don’t go Sequoia I’d probably opt for the Odyssey V6
kayli69

Post by kayli69 »

We have a Sequoia and it carries 3 kids, 2 dogs, and 3 adults to the Outer Banks 3x per year with plenty of room (14 hr drive). It is also superb in the snow. Like all my Toyotas, it damn near bulletproof. Not one issue and 100,000 miles so far. Drivetrain is proven and bulletproof

I have towed around 5,000 lbs with no issue. Platform is very stable

You can clearly afford either car. Buy whichever suits your needs
Last edited by kayli69 on Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

TarHeel2002 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:07 pm It would replace the Camry ..which is still running great!

The batteries on the 2021 hybrid Sienna make me hesitant to even consider it since we hold cars so long. I prefer Toyota but if we don’t go Sequoia I’d probably opt for the Odyssey V6
My hybrid is about to turn 12, no battery issues. I would like to think the technology has improved over the last decade.

I am not sure why you are worried about the towing capacity of the new vehicle if you already have a tow vehicle. You could update that one if and when needed. You need to be looking at needs 5 years out, rather than 10-15. If you really want to be looking 10-15, this should be a smaller vehicle appropriate for a teen driver!
kimura king

Post by kimura king »

I consider myself fairly conservative and I think you have earned a new Sequoia. Easily. Just pay it off and expect to have a decent property tax payment when you get it registered. A friend of mine had a new Sequoia that I rode in a few years ago and I loved it, so great choice and if you do go the minivan route, consider the Toyota Sienna.

I am saving up for a new vehicle, if I go new it will be a Rav4 or Highlander.
Topic Author
TarHeel2002

Post by TarHeel2002 »

All great advice and suggestions. Many things to consider...I really appreciate it! :sharebeer
Watty

Post by Watty »

TarHeel2002 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:07 pm It would replace the Camry ..which is still running great!
In your situation I would replace the Camry with an Odyssey and then when the Highlander needs to be replaced you can buy the Sequoia if you want it.

The Highlander and the Sequoia are too similar to get a lot of utility by owning them both at the same time.

The used car market has gone crazy with the pandemic so even at 15 years old you can likely get a really good price for the Camry right now if it is running good.

If you wait a year or two the used car market may cool down and the Camry could develop problems which would make it worth little. Car safety has improved a lot in the last 15 year too. 15 years is a good run for a car. If I was in your position I would go on and buy the Odyssey now so that you could get the advantages of having the minivan and the better safety features. One advantage of having a high income is being able to afford real safe cars so you need to be careful about crossing the line from frugal and getting into being cheap.

That would also make the Odyssey about seven years old when your oldest kid is ready to learn to drive so if it gets dinged up or wrecked that may be less of an issue if you buy it sooner rather than later.
ChicagoWolverine

Post by ChicagoWolverine »

You obviously can afford. 2 if you really want ... probably ;)

Wanted to offer you a different thought though. If the cars run fine, why don't you wait a few years and make the jump when your eldest can drive and said teenager can drive the camry? Waiting can stink but you also may need a third vehicle in the next 5 years?

Just an opinion ...
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

For towing, we prefer the body on frame design of the Toyota 4Runner (Tacoma Frame) or the Sequoia (Tundra Frame).
We just bought a 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro and it is a great SUV. Rock solid.

Either the Toyota 4Runner (somewhat small inside for a family of 5 and things) or the Toyota Sequoia will last a very long time for you and be utterly reliable and rock solid.

2021 Toyota Sequoia Limited (4wd).

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

Have you looked for used ones that are fairly new in this sadly shrinking economy?
Maybe from someone who just wants out from under the payments, or is that too time consuming for your work and family?
hudson

Post by hudson »

You can afford it...but you already knew that. I think that Sequoias and Tundras are still very close...maybe same frame...same "cab".
I looked at a Sequoia several years back, but it didn't have enough cargo space for me.
I ended up with a Crewmax Tundra; I added a paint matched truck cap. That solved my cargo problem.
It's great on the highway and great for towing. It's not so good around town for parking.
Anyone who has ever ridden in the back seat is amazed at how roomy it is.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

For towing, the Sequoia is a no brainer.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Camry to Sienna.

Highlander to 2/3 year old Sequoia

We have a city car/people mover and a stuff/tow SUV.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

Buy the Sequoia, not even a question. Drive it for 300K and then rinse and repeat.
Hoosier CPA

Post by Hoosier CPA »

What's the appeal of a Sequoia over say a Tahoe or Expedition? Toyota reliability? Just asking as it seems they haven't been resigned/updated in years. Wondering since I'm looking at buying a large SUV truck or crew cab truck in the next couple years. Would prefer to keep it a long time so perhaps Toyota reliability is better than the newer features/gas mileage of the others.

Current family vehicle is currently an Odyssey with 150K which we will keep. Been great with kids and will keep it for trips but also could use more towing capacity.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Hoosier CPA wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:18 am What's the appeal of a Sequoia over say a Tahoe or Expedition? Toyota reliability? Just asking as it seems they haven't been resigned/updated in years. Wondering since I'm looking at buying a large SUV truck or crew cab truck in the next couple years. Would prefer to keep it a long time so perhaps Toyota reliability is better than the newer features/gas mileage of the others.

Current family vehicle is currently an Odyssey with 150K which we will keep. Been great with kids and will keep it for trips but also could use more towing capacity.
Toyota Sequoia vs Chevy Tahoe vs Ford Expedition.

Design and updates happen slowly for Toyota, cosmetic changes even less. (Honda is similar) Thus marketing angle and client appeal is different than perhaps others.

Design and updates and cosmetic changes (appearance) happen quicker with Chevy, Ford, Dodge. Thus different appeal.
Newer and improved and different = marketing appeal.

That Honda, might go another 150k :D :D

Something for everyone.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Yes but don't wait 2 years, buy it today.

Dave
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

OP, what kind of a boat do you have and what do you want?

How many miles do you drive (in general and just for towing)?
bloom2708 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:23 am Camry to Sienna.

Highlander to 2/3 year old Sequoia

We have a city car/people mover and a stuff/tow SUV.
I'm thinking along these lines too. One car a daily driver and the other a less used utility/tow vehicle. But possibly:

Highlander to used Truck. Could get a higher towing capacity, and may be able to save a lot of money over a Sequoia -- more money for the boat :)
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

TarHeel2002 wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:31 pm Family a 5. 40 yo married with 3 kids (9,7,1). Currently driving 10 year old Toyota Highlander and a 15 year old Toyota Camry. They are running strong and well maintained. Considering new car in 1-2 years. Looking at a Honda Odyssey (36k) or a Toyota Sequoia (60k). I can pay cash for either without affecting our investments.

Currently have:
1MM in investments
50k emergency fund
60k cash for a new car
127k 529

Saving:
87k per year for retirement
15k year for college

Debt:
146k 2.5% fixed 30 year home mortgage
165k 3.8% fixed 15 year business property

Income:
275-300k year

I know we can afford either vehicle I just feel extremely guilty even considering the more expensive Sequoia option. I like the towing ability of the Sequoia (we have a boat) and the size of it for the family vs the highly functional Odyssey. Both are good reliable vehicles we would have for 10-15 years. Looking for any suggestions or advice ...thanks!
We have two Sequoias, so I guess you know where we stand.

Mine is a 2005 with 256K miles on it. Runs perfectly. I drove it to the South end of Baja California a couple of years ago without a second thought. It might last another 5 or 10 years as I'm not driving it much now, probably only 5K miles a year.

My wife's is a 2016 with 90K miles on it. Runs perfectly.

Hers pulls the boat faster. On the steepest hills around here (10% mountain grades) mine will pull the ~5000-6000 lb boat up at about 50 mph. Hers will pull it at 60 mph. They're definitely not an F250 or Chevy 2500, but they certainly tow boats below their 7500 tow limit adequately on all but the steepest mountain passes.

If you need or prefer an SUV, get the Sequoia. If you can be content with a minivan, get the Odyssey.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

Find a used Land Cruiser. Much better than the Sequoia.

I test drove a Sequoia and compared with the LC - it was very clunky (better chassis on the LC from what I recall) - same engine at the time the LC was night and day more solid. I bought used to save considerable money and it has been very reliable and still has good resale value.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

Buy it, especially if you are towing. Enjoy :sharebeer
navyitaly

Post by navyitaly »

#humblebrag be real man you know you can buy whatever
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

You're not going to have a minivan for 10+ years when 2 of your kids will be old enough to drive themselves before that. So consider that the minivan only has a useful life for your family situation of 5-10 years max.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

rebellovw wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:22 am Find a used Land Cruiser. Much better than the Sequoia.

I test drove a Sequoia and compared with the LC - it was very clunky (better chassis on the LC from what I recall) - same engine at the time the LC was night and day more solid. I bought used to save considerable money and it has been very reliable and still has good resale value.
Costing over 50% more, I would hope a landcruiser would be "more solid" than a sequoia.
eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon »

navyitaly wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:56 am #humblebrag be real man you know you can buy whatever
It's hardly a humblebrag at that income, in some parts of the country (looking at you coastal California) that's middle class. Almost anyone with credit over 600 CAN buy either of these vehicles, I believe the question is SHOULD he.

Personally I'd have a hard time buying a Sequoia new, it's an ancient platform that is years past needing an update. If you need a tow vehicle and you have to have a Toyota, then get it. Otherwise there are a half dozen better choices, the brand new redesigned Tahoe comes to mind for that money although I realize that will trigger the Toyota lovers here. Comparing the two makes the Toyota look like it's from a different century.

I'd way rather have a minivan especially with a family of 5, it's a far more practical vehicle. Too bad you have to tow. Either way, choosing to own a boat is going to overshadow any financial right or wrongs with whatever vehicle you choose.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett
infotrader

Post by infotrader »

vitaflo wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:01 am You're not going to have a minivan for 10+ years when 2 of your kids will be old enough to drive themselves before that. So consider that the minivan only has a useful life for your family situation of 5-10 years max.
No necessarily. Minivan has its niche. I can afford any car I want, but I got rid of my 22 year old Odyssey and replaced it with a 2021 Odyssey for its value and comfort.
illumination

Post by illumination »

Hoosier CPA wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:18 am What's the appeal of a Sequoia over say a Tahoe or Expedition? Toyota reliability? Just asking as it seems they haven't been resigned/updated in years. Wondering since I'm looking at buying a large SUV truck or crew cab truck in the next couple years. Would prefer to keep it a long time so perhaps Toyota reliability is better than the newer features/gas mileage of the others.
Reliability and resale value.

If you are the type that buys a new car every 3-4 years and just don't care what that costs, it's probably a moot point. The warranty covers the few repairs you have. I do think a vehicle like a Tahoe/Denali is "better" in terms of being more updated, but I know several that have owned that platform over the years and had an astonishing amount of serious problems. I had an in-law with an Escalade that would literally die on the side of the road on road trips and not even the dealer could figure out why after throwing thousands on it and constantly going back.

I tend to keep my cars for long periods of time and I just can't put up with cars that become money pits, so I could see myself getting an "ancient" platform even if the other offerings gave a better driving experience.

Toyota though needs to update the Sequoia interior, I hate that silver plastic.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

The Sequoia likely takes the reliability crown, but it is a seriously dated vehicle. It's been basically the same since 2008. The interior is also rather cramped compared to the overall size of the vehicle.

I got one as a rental two years ago and was about to go back and ask why they had given us a 10 year old rental car. Then I checked the documentation and was shocked that it was actually only a year old :shock:
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

alfaspider wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:39 am The Sequoia likely takes the reliability crown, but it is a seriously dated vehicle. It's been basically the same since 2008. The interior is also rather cramped compared to the overall size of the vehicle.

I got one as a rental two years ago and was about to go back and ask why they had given us a 10 year old rental car. Then I checked the documentation and was shocked that it was actually only a year old :shock:
I agree...The Sequoia is in SERIOUS need of a revamp. The entire interior is dated and it's not really a good value for the amount of money you're paying. If you're in need of a full-size SUV, why not look at something along the lines of the new 2021 GMC Yukon or Ford Expedition. Both are very compelling vehicles for the money and would blow the Toyota out of the water as far as interior features/comfort goes.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Sequoias have 4WD, an air conditioner, a heater, a radio, a heck of an engine, power door locks, and power windows.
All of the other stuff is fluff. :)
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

hudson wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:19 pm Sequoias have 4WD, an air conditioner, a heater, a radio, a heck of an engine, power door locks, and power windows.
By that account...so do many other vehicles so why pay in excess of $50K for one? Because for that amount of money, my expectations would be much higher than "power windows and locks".
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

Workaholic wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:14 pm
alfaspider wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:39 am The Sequoia likely takes the reliability crown, but it is a seriously dated vehicle. It's been basically the same since 2008. The interior is also rather cramped compared to the overall size of the vehicle.

I agree...The Sequoia is in SERIOUS need of a revamp. The entire interior is dated and it's not really a good value for the amount of money you're paying. If you're in need of a full-size SUV, why not look at something along the lines of the new 2021 GMC Yukon or Ford Expedition. Both are very compelling vehicles for the money and would blow the Toyota out of the water as far as interior features/comfort goes.
I think the one little thing you might forget is while your GMC is in the shop for transmission issues again...or your V6 twin turbo Ford is having electrical issues that boring old out dated Sequoia or LC for that matter will be running like new at 250K with decent care. Just my view as an owner.
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

With the ages of the three kids, I would get whatever vehicle you, the kids, and their friends can get in and out of easily. Think school runs, sports practices, etc. Sliding doors are great! However, there will come a time when they are teens and it's gets more difficult for them to get in and out of vans. We have a 10+ year Sienna. It's showing it's wear, and the sliding doors are having some difficulties, but it drives great and it's pretty roomy. But we're not hauling many kids these days.
BlueCable

Post by BlueCable »

I am no longer concerned about the longevity of hybrid vehicle batteries, especially Toyota's. They have been making Priuses a long time, and every anecdote I've seen suggests the batteries last.
MMiroir

Post by MMiroir »

We looked at a Sequoia several years ago when cross-shopping a Tahoe and Expedition. The Toyota was horribly dated then, and both GM and Ford replaced their platforms since then. I shake my head whenever I see anyone considering buying a new Sequoia.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

OldBallCoach wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:25 pm

I think the one little thing you might forget is while your GMC is in the shop for transmission issues again...or your V6 twin turbo Ford is having electrical issues that boring old out dated Sequoia or LC for that matter will be running like new at 250K with decent care. Just my view as an owner.
Possibly, but the question is whether you want to live with the Toyota for 250k. That would be 25 years of driving for me! I'd rather keep to 10 year/100k mile intervals and stay a bit more up to date. For what it's worth, I've seen suburbans making it over 300k on the original transmission (especially if they have the tow package with the transmission cooler).
jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb »

If you are willing to venture away from Toyota, also consider an Ford F150 with a crew cab. My kids loved all the rear seat room, and a cover for the back gives you plenty of hauling space. (FYI my 2011 F150 with a standard V6 has had no significant issues in 80,000 miles so far.)
hudson

Post by hudson »

Workaholic wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:22 pm
hudson wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:19 pm Sequoias have 4WD, an air conditioner, a heater, a radio, a heck of an engine, power door locks, and power windows.
By that account...so do many other vehicles so why pay in excess of $50K for one? Because for that amount of money, my expectations would be much higher than "power windows and locks".
That's an excellent argument Workaholic!
I've driven basic vehicles so long that the items that I've listed above are amazingly luxurious.
I've also driven horribly unreliable American cars where the fan belts didn't make it 2 years. Transmissions wouldn't go 60,000 miles. All of the trunks leaked. I then lucked into buying a 2000 Toyota; I drove it 18 years with no drive train issues and very few problems. I don't know if I'll ever go back?
cabfranc

Post by cabfranc »

You can afford to buy the car you want. But I cannot get over that a Toyota costs $60K. I have not purchased a care in 10 years. My Lexus ES did not cost even close to that much.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:06 am
rebellovw wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:22 am Find a used Land Cruiser. Much better than the Sequoia.

Costing over 50% more, I would hope a landcruiser would be "more solid" than a sequoia.
Key word is Used. You can find a slightly used Land Cruiser for the cost of a new Sequoia - drive them both and decide on that. I picked mine up for about 1/2 the cost of new with only 36K miles - was mint and less than 4 years old. I chose from @4 at local Toyota dealers in the area at the time.

Sure - nothing beats a new car but man a slightly used Land Cruiser is nothing to scoff at.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

OldBallCoach wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:25 pm

I've driven Ford pickups for YEARS and have never had an issue with any electrical or any other system beyond routine maintenance. And really...the vast majority of people don't keep their vehicles past 100,000 miles let alone 200,000. I think you're biased, which is fine, but just because you don't care for GM or Ford vehicles doesn't make them unreliable. Last time I checked, the best selling vehicles in America were Ford and GM trucks. Obviously this wouldn't be if they were horribly unreliable.
illumination

Post by illumination »

cabfranc wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:52 pm You can afford to buy the car you want. But I cannot get over that a Toyota costs $60K. I have not purchased a care in 10 years. My Lexus ES did not cost even close to that much.
It's the reality of SUV's and trucks these days.

A loaded Ford Expedition or Chevy Suburban can get over $80,000.
kenoryan

Post by kenoryan »

I like the sequoia but the tundra is the exact same thing for 45k
I'm on my third Tundra. Love it