Hit and run damage to our home: claim home insurance?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
H-Dog

Hit and run damage to our home: claim home insurance?

Post by H-Dog »

Hi Bogleheads. Hope to get some help.

Someone hit our home with a vehicle, caused damage to the home (and minor damage to our vehicle) and then run. Our neighbors saw it happen and we were at home, got pictures of the vehicle and filed a police report but the plates did not come back (?). Police report includes statements from us and our neighbors. We are in UT. National is the home insurance company.

Now the question: should we file a claim or not? Damage is around $4k-8k to the home based on the quotes we received. Deductible on homeowner's insurance is $1k. Mid 2022 we will either move out of state or overseas. If we move out of state then we will rent for 2 years at minimum.

Will this increase our property's home insurance annual premium when we make a claim on back of this damage + police report? I assume it will even if we are not at fault.

We can pay out of pocket for the repairs but if we can get insurance to cover it all minus deductible then that is preferred.

I called the insurance and they are aware of it. They gave us an option of not filing a claim if we choose not to do so but we can still go back and file the claim. The individuals I spoke with at the insurance could not tell me if my premium will go up. They only stated "this appears to be covered under the current coverage for your home insurance".
Last edited by H-Dog on Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bloom2708

Re: Hit and run damage to our home: claim home insurance?

Post by bloom2708 »

Do you have any other recent auto or home claims?

This might fall under your 1 "grace" filing/claim if you have no other incidents.

Insurance is tough. You need it but don't want to use it.

For the $1k deductible, I'd likely file this one. If premiums go up 10%-20%, it will take a lot of years to cover $6k-$7k.

Plus, you want to fix it right and make sure there are no structural type issues.

Interesting how they had the plate and it didn't come back..hmmm..maybe stolen.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Topic Author
H-Dog

Post by H-Dog »

We have never submitted a claim for our home insurance. We just switched home insurance companies so we have not been with them long which I suspect would not matter. We have been in the home for ~4 years.

We had an auto claim with GEICO which I think went through as no fault due to hitting ice about 5 years ago. It did not seem to raise premiums then.

Our auto is via GEICO and Homeowners insurance is introduced via GEICO but through National.

Also I need to figure out which contractor to go with for the repairs:
1) Small local mom and pop shop - quote for 4k. Have been in business for ~30 years. I think they can do the work but no 100% confident.

2) Large national company. Asked $250 just to provide a quote and they are recommended by the insurance company. I am certain they will be more expensive, estimating ~$8k. I am 100% confident that they can do the job .

Both companies are insured, licensed and confident that they can do the work. I had a few companies reject the bids as it was too difficult (structural).
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

H-Dog wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:36 pm We have never submitted a claim for our home insurance. We just switched home insurance companies so we have not been with them long which I suspect would not matter. We have been in the home for ~4 years.

We had an auto claim with GEICO which I think went through as no fault due to hitting ice about 5 years ago. It did not seem to raise premiums then.

Our auto is via GEICO and Homeowners insurance is introduced via GEICO but through National.

Also I need to figure out which contractor to go with for the repairs:
1) Small local mom and pop shop - quote for 4k. Have been in business for ~30 years. I think they can do the work but no 100% confident.

2) Large national company. Asked $250 just to provide a quote and they are recommended by the insurance company. I am certain they will be more expensive, estimating ~$8k. I am 100% confident that they can do the job .

Both companies are insured, licensed and confident that they can do the work. I had a few companies reject the bids as it was too difficult (structural).
As you mentioned that you may not stay beyond two years, thus would need to sell, future buyers would be concerned (to say the least) about any repairs that were structural :!:
(I know that would raise red flaming flags for me)

any concerns that the repairs would be deficient could easily be reason for eliminating that contractor. Obviously, a structural engineer should be talked to for evaluation of any remediation of the house. This type of repair is for true professionals and, unfortunately, the costs need to be addressed to the insurance company for repair to a position of the property before the incident.

I would certainly file a claim, rather than try to do it myself, as then the insurance company is on the hook for insuring any remediation is correct and to code (and provides a (semblance of) confidence that the defect was addressed correctly rather than the owner trying to cheaply "plaster over" the problem.
Goal33

Post by Goal33 »

I’d file it. Even if your premiums go up... cheaper than eating nearly a 10K loss.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I would make the claim, I have made numerous claims on my homeowners policy. Rate has not increased.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
Topic Author
H-Dog

Post by H-Dog »

Really appreciate everyone’s input. I never planned on trying to fix the damage myself. I enjoy diy but this is definitely way out of my comfort zone.

I will go ahead and file the claim tomorrow. We will go with the mom and pop shop contractor who can do the work quicker vs longer wait with the larger company. If other issues come up then insurance company is on the hook and we can figure out the repairs.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

I would definitely file teh HO claim, and I would at least get the bid from the contractor recommended by the insurance company. But first, I'd complain to your insurance company Rep that the contractor that they are recommending is requiring an upfront fee just for a quote.
momvesting

Post by momvesting »

Also, unrelated, but I am also in Utah. Neighborhood crime has been way up lately and as a result, it seems like almost every home has at least one camera. Also, lots of people are sharing photos and info via Nextdoor. I would cast a wider net for pictures and videos thru the Ring App, Nextdoor, and facebook and see if you can get any more info. It's quite possible these people were caught later, perhaps in a nearby city (the cities do not seem to communicate with each other at all) and maybe you will be able to find out who did this. Good luck.