Flipped out on Home Depot employee

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
nerd86

Flipped out on Home Depot employee

Post by nerd86 »

They went back on a return they told me they would initially take. Told the store manager I would never return to this store. However now that it has been a couple weeks I could not care less about how they stiffed me and care more about being able to run errands locally again.

Do I just go back? I feel like if they see me they will be like "haha that guy said he was done with us".
Last edited by nerd86 on Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
tainted-meat

Re: Flipped out on Home Depot employee

Post by tainted-meat »

Request to un-ban yourself from Home Depot approved.
Warsad

Post by Warsad »

I would definitely go back especially if it makes your life easier because of Proximity. Furthermore, they may not even remember you nor care about the situation because they have so many people to come into the store location. Even if they do remember you no one at the Home Depot will say anything to you about the situation.
renter

Post by renter »

Go back to the manager and apologize. Tell him you overreacted. Then go about your business.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Retail establishments also have high turnover. So if you wait a while, likely no one that you interacted with will remain.
staustin

Post by staustin »

There's always Lowe's or your local Ace.
Topic Author
nerd86

Post by nerd86 »

renter wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:43 am Go back to the manager and apologize. Tell him you overreacted. Then go about your business.
I feel that ship has sailed. I mentioned how he had no business being a manager.
bluebirdy

Post by bluebirdy »

go back and shop again if it's convenient for you
Topic Author
nerd86

Post by nerd86 »

staustin wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:44 am There's always Lowe's or your local Ace.
This is true. However I have a 35K Home Depot credit card I appreciate using if I want to spread the payment of a large purchase out a couple months interest free.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

nerd86 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:39 am They went back on a return they told me they would initially take. Told the store manager I would never return to this store. However now that it has been a couple weeks I could not care less about how they stiffed me and care more about being able to run errands locally again.

Do I just go back? I feel like if they see me they will be like "haha that guy said he was done with us".
Don't spend your life overvaluing the opinions of others.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

nerd86 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:39 am...I feel like if they see me they will be like "haha that guy said he was done with us".
Sounds like if they did, it would be accurate.
My guess though, is most of them will be more consumed with their job and own lives that they really don't care about what you're doing.
If it happens that you did make a big enough impression on one of them, and they have the guts to confront the guy that is known to "flip out" on people, maybe you should just apologize to them (presuming they confront you) and try to move on.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Uniballer

Post by Uniballer »

Trust me. You will not be the first customer who told them you would never come back, but did.
plog

Post by plog »

The title says "Flipped out on Home Depot employee", but your story paints a picture of you simply making a now regretted statement. So, what's the real story? Pretend you're the employee you "flipped out on" and relate the interaction from their perspective. Or as is custom in the US now, provide a link to the youtube video of it.
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

“The last capitalist we hang shall be the one who sold us the rope.”
― Karl Marx

Note this post does not condone violence in any way, but we have to be strong and stand up and fight and march on things and never give up.
Last edited by Dude2 on Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Then ’tis like the breath of an unfee’d lawyer.
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

Dude2 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:51 am “The last capitalist we hang shall be the one who sold us the rope.”
― Karl Marx

Note this post does not condone violence in any way, but we have to be strong and stand up and fight and march on things and never give up.
https://checkyourfact.com/2019/11/29/fa ... wrote%20it.
hershey102d

Post by hershey102d »

Grow a beard.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Get a believable disguise for your Home Depot sorties.
TNWoods

Post by TNWoods »

https://www.amazon.com/Mustaches-Adhesi ... B073VPGW42

This is what I use when I do that.

TNWoods
Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler »

I used to work with a guy who was an abusive returner. He had a couple of ways to scam businesses into essentially giving him free use of things while he needed them.

It's my understanding that there is now some kind of tracking or other way that various businesses manage returns to exclude people who they find to be abusing return policies. Not sure how they work, but maybe you ran afoul of some kind of data analysis that wasn't correct, or didn't take into account your circumstances.

In any case, I'd just go back. One person's complaint isn't going to change their policies. If you really think they were wrong about something, write to the CEO and state your case politely and factually. That usually works wonders in instances were there has been a bad employee.

Good luck.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Is this seriously the issue you are concerned about? Home Depot employees "mocking you" for returning after you said you wouldn't?

I think there is a more important issue here:

Did Home Depot's actions comport with their return policy? If so, then they certainly did not stiff you and "flipping out" and telling the store manager that you wouldn't be back was an unjustified reaction on your part.

If Home Depot refused to accept a valid return with receipt that was eligible in all respects, then Home Depot was in the wrong and you should have calmly escalated the matter to their corporate office if necessary. And if it was never satisfactorily resolved, do you really want to reward such actions with your future business?

So did your return fully comply with their return policy?
z91

Post by z91 »

Boglegrappler wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:03 pm It's my understanding that there is now some kind of tracking or other way that various businesses manage returns to exclude people who they find to be abusing return policies.
Yes, it's called https://www.theretailequation.com/

With folks wearing masks now (I hope folks in your area wear masks..) I doubt the manager could even identify OP if you walked alongside him in the store.
Last edited by z91 on Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

shunkman wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:57 am
Dude2 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:51 am “The last capitalist we hang shall be the one who sold us the rope.”
― Karl Marx

https://checkyourfact.com/2019/11/29/fa ... wrote%20it.
Allusions to lynching someone, for their preferred economic system, is not considered "violent" ?
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
greg24

Post by greg24 »

nerd86 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:45 am
renter wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:43 am Go back to the manager and apologize. Tell him you overreacted. Then go about your business.
I feel that ship has sailed. I mentioned how he had no business being a manager.
All the more reason to go back, find the guy, and apologize.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:58 am Get a believable disguise for your Home Depot sorties.
A Cheez-It t-shirt and a Tim Buckley mask would constitute a Bogleheads-approved believable disguise. :beer
KneePartsPro

Post by KneePartsPro »

nerd86 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:39 am They went back on a return they told me they would initially take. Told the store manager I would never return to this store. However now that it has been a couple weeks I could not care less about how they stiffed me and care more about being able to run errands locally again.

You're worried about not holding up your "I'm not coming back" promise to the manager who wouldn't make good on the "we'll take it back" promise? My worry wouldn't be about what they think of you but about whether or not they accept returns on merchandise.
Last edited by KneePartsPro on Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can tell you almost anything about artificial knees used in knee replacement, and almost nothing about investing.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

nerd86 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:46 am
staustin wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:44 am There's always Lowe's or your local Ace.
This is true. However I have a 35K Home Depot credit card I appreciate using if I want to spread the payment of a large purchase out a couple months interest free.
can you find what you want on their website and have it delivered?
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Get a different mask and wear a cowboy hat or a fedora. Problem solved.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

As long as you weren't trespassed I'm pretty sure Home Depot will welcome you and your wallet.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
Jazzysoon

Post by Jazzysoon »

Store Managers tend to work mid day shifts - eg 8-5. So if you want to avoid Store Manager go early or late. If you dealt with Assistant Store Manager they tend to work opening or closing shift so go opposite time..

However he actually will be thrilled to see you, and will brag about you coming back and not going to competitors. Reinforces that no matter how badly they treat customers, Customers return and Still SPEND money there.

Similar store I worked for awhile bragged about customers that shopped at our store because we didn't require masks, while competitor just down the street did. Meanwhile of course, employees had increased risk of exposure, but in the end it's just all about Revenue and profits.

Plus you are just one of the angry customers that day.......
Last edited by Jazzysoon on Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
nerd86

Post by nerd86 »

I have decided on a mustache disguise. Thank you all.
masha12

Post by masha12 »

I don’t think the ship has sailed. If I were the manager and you apologized to me, I would accept your apology and marvel at the ability of someone to acknowledge they said things they shouldn’t have. Retail workers suffer all sorts of verbal abuse and I think they deserve an apology when one is due.

I think you’d feel better after giving it. We can’t undo the past, but we can acknowledge our failings and move on.

I’d probably hand him a six-pack of a good beer to go along with the apology. You would quickly become his favorite shopper. All most people want is a little love and gratitude.
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

hershey102d wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:57 am Grow a beard.
And wear a "Why you should be shopping at HomeDepot" T-shirt ...

... and a face mask saying "NOT"!
Godot

Post by Godot »

TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:47 am

Hard to believe this is even a thread.
Estragon: I can't go on like this. | Vladimir: That's what you think. | ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot
Godot

Post by Godot »

Godot wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:14 pm
TheTimeLord wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:47 am

+1. Hard to believe this is even a thread.
Estragon: I can't go on like this. | Vladimir: That's what you think. | ― Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

nerd86 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:12 pm I have decided on a mustache disguise. Thank you all.
Don't tell me your face mask has never covered your nose!! :oops:
FamilyMan

Post by FamilyMan »

If you are recognized when in the store, tell the staff you have an identical twin who has anger issues but an anonymous Internet forum is helping him work through the issues.

Honestly, they problem won’t even recognize you. Nor do they care if you are spending money there again.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

This over a dispute? You need to apologize. Anger can get the best of anyone, but how you reconcile matters.

I worked in retail in high school. So I'm no stranger to rude customers. But I didn't survive it by holding grudge. Life moves on.
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

Next time be courteous to people trying to do their jobs.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

The catch phrase that comes to mind;

You would not worry so much about what others thought of you if you realized how seldom they thought of you.

Second, maybe if you look at the incident in a different way, you can see if their transgression might not have been as seemed. Could it be that your return was not allowed by Home Depot company policy? The manager or another employee though wanted to override that to make the customer happy. So,they actually put themselves out there for your benefit. But when the return came to be processed, it turned out that it violated the return policy to a degree that just did not permit a random local employer, manager or not, to approve the return. In this case, it seems like you are angry because they tried to make you happy. It seems that you would have been less angry if they had just told you from the beginning that you could not return the item. If this is the scenario, then I think your anger is misplaced. Please note, you have given us no details on the return, so I have no idea if this is relevant to your experience.
MishkaWorries

Post by MishkaWorries »

greg24 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:08 pm
All the more reason to go back, find the guy, and apologize.
This is the answer. If you were wrong admit it and move on with your life. You'll feel better.
We plan. G-d laughs.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

galawdawg wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:09 pm
Cheez-It Guy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:58 am Get a believable disguise for your Home Depot sorties.
A Cheez-It t-shirt and a Tim Buckley mask would constitute a Bogleheads-approved believable disguise. :beer
Do they make Tim Buckley masks? They should! Otherwise, I can get a generic white guy CEO mask. But you don't have to wear a (non-medical) mask if you're the real Tim Buckley!
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Just go back.

Home Depot values your spending. They won’t bar you for one regrettable incident.

Now, if you “flip out” on this store manager a few more times, it may be a different story.......
It's a GREAT day to be alive! - Travis Tritt
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

nerd86 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:46 am
Get a lowes credit card.
It's "Stay" the course, not Stray the Course. Buy and Hold works. You should really try it sometime. Get a plan: www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Investment_policy_statement
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

Is this thread for real? :D
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Thread is locked (non-actionable rant).