Cloud storage services recommendation.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
X528

Cloud storage services recommendation.

Post by X528 »

I would like to back up and store my computer files using a cloud storage service. Can anyone recommend a good service to use that isn't expensive?
JoMoney

Re: Cloud storage services recommendation.

Post by JoMoney »

It depends on what you need.
Google Drive will give you 15GB for free, and 100GB for $1.99 a month (Google One)

Personally, I've been thinking about ways to de-google my life, and am hoping for an invite / waiting to see what ProtonDrive does when it comes out of beta
https://drive.protonmail.com/
Last edited by JoMoney on Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Are you just looking for a storage solution or a true backup?

How much data is involved?

Simple storage solutions like OneDrive, Google Drive and Dropbox are pretty similar and free up to some storage level. Not sure what the free entry points are. I have a Google Drive with 17gb capacity for no charge. I also have a OneDrive but don't really use it.

Keep in mind that a simple copy in the cloud is not a true backup.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
onourway

Post by onourway »

Do you want storage and sync, or backup?

These are not the same things and recommendations will differ based on what you want.
Topic Author
X528

Post by X528 »

onourway wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:41 am Do you want storage and sync, or backup?

These are not the same things and recommendations will differ based on what you want.
Right now I just would like file storage (about 200 GB now), then backup eventually.

I already have a Protonmail email account, so I will consider what they offer.

Thanks for all of the responses.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

OneDrive is hard to beat for integration with Windows and - if you would pay for Office 365 anyway - price. Good mobile apps, too, with features such as using your phone to "scan" documents.
onourway

Post by onourway »

Agreed. OneDrive works well and when bundled with Office it's hard to beat. DropBox probably still has in the most reliable sync interface in my experience, and has plans that will allow it to also keep a permanent history, functioning as a sort of backup as well, however these plans are quite expensive, especially if you will also be paying for Office anyhow.
Starting From Scratch

Post by Starting From Scratch »

Checkout sync.com, end-to-end encryption:

https://www.sync.com/
My investing "factors" formula: (1) Save More (2) Work Longer (3) Spend Less (4) Reduce Investment Cost
BroIceCream

Post by BroIceCream »

quicknss

Post by quicknss »

i second sync.com due to their very good encryption which prevents any access to your data due to hipaa compliant standards
wmvink

Post by wmvink »

quicknss wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:01 am i second sync.com due to their very good encryption which prevents any access to your data due to hipaa compliant standards
HIPAA compliance is not relevant for individuals or businesses that do not process personal medical data. Why do you need your cloud provider to be HIPAA compliant?
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Anybody use Cryptomator (https://cryptomator.org/) with a cloud storage provider like dropbox or google? It seems very similar to Sync.com in functionality and efficiency.
Stubbie

Post by Stubbie »

When you want to go to true backup, iDrive is hard to beat. I've used them for years. Look for a promo code for the first year of service.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Depends what you want to back up, and what your requirements are (security, persistency, etc)

I use Google Drive as my main. It is the most intuitive to me and easily accessible across all platforms. Performance is solid and pricing is good. Downside is possibility of Google retiring this service (although low likelihood), and privacy concerns - atleast of overweighting most of my data and info to Google.

Apple iCloud is my secondary. Has better reputation for privacy but it's less intuitive to me who prefers to stay platform agnostic - more appropriate if you are all-in on the Apple ecosystem.

Dropbox is good alternate.

Never bothered trying to use OneDrive for personal use.
planetmike

Post by planetmike »

I've been very happy with PCloud as my DropBox replacement. DropBox had been shifting strongly towards business uses away from consumers. PCloud has a monthly or lifetime (99 year) purchasing price, as well as optional strong encryption upgrade.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

Google Drive.
mjb49

Post by mjb49 »

I have over 600 GB of data to backup. I tried a few online backups which work fine when backing up, but restoring can take weeks.
ironman

Post by ironman »

AWS S3 or S3 glacier will cost you next to nothing.

https://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/
Gadget

Post by Gadget »

If you mostly store photos, a google one plan and using the google photos app is hard to beat. Nothing really compares to the Google Photos app for a family IMO.

If you don't really care about photos, Onedrive with the MS Office bundle is hard to beat if you use MS Office.

If you are solely in the Apple ecosystem and don't plan on leaving, you're probably looking at Apple iCloud.

And if your internet plan has a datacap, then be sure about your ecosystem decision because it's really hard to change in the future without blowing that data cap.