Kitchen ceramic tile: how to reattach

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tenkuky

Kitchen ceramic tile: how to reattach

Post by tenkuky »

I have to figure out how to attach an image but in a nutshell this is my problem:
The kitchen island has a ceramic tile rim around the base. In the course of cleaning etc, one of them has come off. Tried Super Glue and only lasted a few days.
What sealant/adhesive should I use? Would prefer an out of package solution and not mortar or other things I have to be very skilled at, and trying not to have to hire someone for such a small job. The worry about it remaining detached is does it expose the baseboard and is it more than cosmetic.
Being the kitchen, we are not talking a lot of moisture and the only wear-tear is when using a vacuum or broom.

Thanks!
runner3081

Re: Kitchen ceramic tile: how to reattach

Post by runner3081 »

Liquid nails.

Also, if you need grout, you can buy small squeeze bottles.
KneePartsPro

Post by KneePartsPro »

runner3081 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:07 am Liquid nails.

+1 I used construction adhesive (aka Liquid Nails) on a large tile which had loosened on our fireplace hearth. That was six years ago and it's still holding strong.
I can tell you almost anything about artificial knees used in knee replacement, and almost nothing about investing.
Trapper

Post by Trapper »

I second runner 3081’s recommendation of
Liquid Nails.
I used it to reattach slate tile on a floor foyer that would get wet on occasion. Never worried about it again.
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

Pre mixed thinset in pint tubs ought to be available.

Chip away most of the old thinset on the substrate. Dust throughly, then trowel onto the substrate with a spatula and apply the new tile being careful to not cause lippage between adjacent tiles. You'll get a couple of chances so take your time - unless, of course, the new tile is surrounded by old tiles. If the latter, you'll have just one chance. Perhaps you can use four MacGyver'ed "spacers" to make a "table" of your new tile, dry fit, and then entomb them when you apply thinset perhaps in this situation to the back of the new tile itself.

Try to not get thinset between the tile you are replacing and the adjacent tiles. Spacers equal to your existing grouting distance are helpful. These can be purchased.

After the thinset has cured, apply pre-mixed tubed matched grout between the tiles and swipe smooth. n.b. it's going to be nearly impossible to closely match old and new grout.

Viola!
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Cyclesafe wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:21 am Pre mixed thinset in pint tubs ought to be available.

Chip away most of the old thinset on the substrate. Dust throughly, then trowel onto the substrate with a spatula and apply the new tile being careful to not cause lippage between adjacent tiles. You'll get a couple of chances so take your time - unless, of course, the new tile is surrounded by old tiles. If the latter, you'll have just one chance. Perhaps you can use four MacGyver'ed "spacers" to make a "table" of your new tile, dry fit, and then entomb them when you apply thinset perhaps in this situation to the back of the new tile itself.

Try to not get thinset between the tile you are replacing and the adjacent tiles. Spacers equal to your existing grouting distance are helpful. These can be purchased.

After the thinset has cured, apply pre-mixed tubed matched grout between the tiles and swipe smooth. n.b. it's going to be nearly impossible to closely match old and new grout.

Viola!

+1. It's actually fairly easy so do it right. And don't forget to wear safety googles! Here is a video from Manfredini showing how to.

https://youtu.be/I0Gm1iG6-XA
Topic Author
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

Thanks to everyone!
Will look into both these options.
Bogleheads for the win, even for non-finance related stuff :beer
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Thinset ceramic tile adhesive.
Looks like this:
(Amazon.com)
https://smile.amazon.com/25190-Weldwood ... 344&sr=8-5

j :D

Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

It's super easy. A little thinset, spread it on evenly, press it in, and then grout. If you have a local tile shop they should be able to set you up with what you need, and it shouldn't set you back too much. (Tiled my kitchen floor and a backsplash that surrounds three-quarters of the kitchen. It's not hard.)
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

runner3081 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:07 am Liquid nails.

+1 for small squeeze bottles of grout. Perfect for small repairs and novices.
GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker »

If you go the chip away old thinset that was under the tile, clean and apply new thinset, a couple of thoughts:
- as the last step of cleaning before putting new thinset, get the strongest vacuum you can find and vacuum the bed on which the new thinset and tile will rest; more interdigitation of old and new.
- although putting some spacers under the tile to get the right height might get you the right height, it will prevent some of the pressure that might squeeze thinset into the nooks and crannies, so I think the old world craftsman way is to not use spacers like that (I'm not talking about spacers that go between the tiles; you want those). Of course then, you have to judge what viscosity of thinset, how much thinset, how much pressure on the tile.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.