International Phone Calls

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
boater07

International Phone Calls

Post by boater07 »

My internet provider gives me free VOIP.
Is there a way to make an international call? My phone card has expired
and don't know if they still exist.
Hookem_1

Re: International Phone Calls

Post by Hookem_1 »

I believe you can use Zoom for free for one on one meetings. Make regular or video calls.

https://zoom.us/pricing
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Skype has pretty cheap calling rates to most countries.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

boater07 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:02 pm My internet provider gives me free VOIP.
Is your ISP Comcast?

“With the XFINITY Voice Unlimited plan, you can make calls to nearly half the world, at home or on the go with your smartphone or tablet. Save on your wireless plan when you call Canada, China, India, Mexico, South Korea, Hong Kong, Singapore and Puerto Rico at no additional cost.”

https://www.xfinity.com/international-voice#
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

I guess from the limited information in the OP the question is, can the VOIP service of the ISP be used to make international calls for free. Don't know that anyone can answer that without more information. I'd call the VOIP provider or ISP or check their website.

I doubt that international calls across the board are free. There are countries where calls to cellphones are calling-party-pays. You can see that in the rates of providers like Skype or Google Fi where calls to mobile numbers are more expensive. Overall, unless you spend hours each day calling international numbers, the cost of international calls has dropped so much for most countries that I don't really care much about it. I use Google Fi or Skype, but the cost is pennies.

Calling cards? Yeah, remember using those. Whatever happened to MCI? :)
DJZ

Post by DJZ »

boater07 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:02 pm My internet provider gives me free VOIP.
What exactly do you mean by “my internet provider gives me free VOIP”? VOIP can be used for international calls so you should explore your internet provider first.

Otherwise, worldwide, WhatsApp is probably the most popular tool hence the most useful, but the other party needs it too; you can’t call someone who is not using it. If you need to call a phone directly, Skype is inexpensive and can call any line including landlines.
k b

Post by k b »

Where do the people you call regularly live?

If they live in countries that allow VOIP calls, then all you need is an app like Skype or Zoom or Whatsapp or Signal (I am sure there are more). Most people have one or more of these apps on their smartphones nowadays.

For each country, you just need to find out which VOIP works. Dubai, for eg., bans Whatsapp calls but allows calls via Zoom and an app called BOTIM.
Topic Author
boater07

Post by boater07 »

Thank you for your input We only call Germany and just dialing doesn't work.
The suggestions for using apps might be difficult. We are non techie seniors on both ends
and would not the other party need to install the same app?
BobTexas

Post by BobTexas »

Do both parties have iPhones? FaceTime on the iPhone is built in, easy and free
Topic Author
boater07

Post by boater07 »

I only have access to a small ISP in our apt building -Atlas- and their VOIP is not available for int'l.
We still use a landline :happy
We've been promised cable for a year now.. Another Covid excuse
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

I use Viber to make free call overseas. To do this you and the person you're calling have to have the Viber app downloaded on your phones, and calls can be made via either WiFi or cellular signal.

TravelforFun
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

For the low tech solution, you can use your landline in combination with voice credit from keepcalling.com.

It is 0.9 cent a minute calling landline or 2.2 cent per minute calling mobile numbers.

https://keepcalling.com/international-c ... rrency=USD
k b

Post by k b »

boater07 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:01 pm Thank you for your input We only call Germany and just dialing doesn't work.
The suggestions for using apps might be difficult. We are non techie seniors on both ends
and would not the other party need to install the same app?
In that case, look for a landline plan that includes low cost calls to Germany. I know that Verizon has plans of this kind and I am sure your local providers would have them too.
candb

Post by candb »

WhatsApp...it's free.