Microsoft Excel recommendations (or any pre-EMBA recommendations)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Hulk

Microsoft Excel recommendations (or any pre-EMBA recommendations)

Post by Hulk »

Hello wise bogleheads,

I would like to beef up my Excel skills. I am starting an EMBA in August and want to do a few prerequisites. I have heard boning up on Excel is valuable. Any recomendations for learning Excel, especially with an MBA in the coming months. I have a limited business background, am a physician.

Any other prerequisites you would recommend? I am doing a few AP course on Khan Academy (micro econ, marco econ, statistics). The materially is really really well done, its free and figure it couldn't hurt. But would love to hear better/other ways to get a leg up before the MBA starts. I've also heard perhaps an accounting class would be helpful.

Thanks!

Hulk
ScubaHogg

Re: Microsoft Excel recommendations (or any pre-EMBA recommendations)

Post by ScubaHogg »

Might be better stuff, but ExcelJet has all sorts of tutorials

https://exceljet.net/
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French
Impatience

Post by Impatience »

Mbamath.com has excel, accounting, econ and more. It looks like it’s $149 for one year of access. I’m about to have to complete it as a prerequisite for my MBA starting later this year though I think my school is paying for it (not that it matters, I’m paying them $120k hahaha... ).
Topic Author
Hulk

Post by Hulk »

This all looks really great, especially the mbamath.com and the Chris Dutton excel stuff. Much appreciated!!!
Last edited by Hulk on Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hookem_1

Post by Hookem_1 »

There are tons of Excel basic and advanced skills videos on YouTube.
wmackey

Post by wmackey »

If you have access to LinlkedIn Learning, there are some great tutorials there. I can also tell you that you will want to get a good understanding of pivot tables and pivot charts. I got a lot of use out of the VBA scripting, but that was more for work, then my MBA.
Vegomatic

Post by Vegomatic »

I think the "For Dummies" books are fantastic, i.e., "Excel for Dummies", "VBA for Excel for Dummies", etc.

Example below:
https://www.amazon.com/Excel-Programmin ... 1119518172

If you work through the books, you can teach yourself a lot! Shame that the "For Dummies" brand sounds insulting, but the books are great!
mountaineer15

Post by mountaineer15 »

I would highly recommend Excel courses taught by Chris Dutton, who operates Maven Analytics. You can purchase his courses directly from the site or find them on Udemy for $10-11 a pop. You get access to them for life and he is very thorough and engaging. I have paid for and completed three of his Microsoft Excel courses and found them well worth the cost.
usagi

Post by usagi »

If you really want to do useful Excel, learn to use VBA with Excel and PowerPoint. Essentially you are using MS Visual Basic with Excel enabling you to create your own GUIs with editing to fill out your spreadsheet, walk files trees and open files, extract data and do all sort of marvelous things beyond Excel itself. One of my kids in a Excel guru and he has VBA skills, All the Executives at his Mega-corp borrow him to design things for them and sit in at high level meetings and tell them what is realistic in terms of C-Suite data manipulations and presentations. He is very in demand at mega-corp and has been promoted repeatedly and given his choice of assignments and locations.

FYI, MS has been trying to kill off VBA, but it had a huge base of users. Other technologies cannot do what VBA does.