Sony TV Advice - Consumer Issue

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
d18lover

Sony TV Advice - Consumer Issue

Post by d18lover »

Sony released the X900H TV in mid 2020 as a "ready for PS5" TV. I purchased one.

What this means: 4K Resolution with 120 Hz native refresh rate (4k120), variable refresh rate (VRR), and auto low latency mode (ALLM). I saved various spec, sheets, advertisements, and brochures with these promises listed.

The fine print was that these features would be added with a future firmware update. The patch for 4k120 *only* came along with the Xbox and PS5 release, but the resolution was very blurry. Shortly after, they patched 4k120 again and their website reports the issue is resolved. It's still (less) blurry, but they applied an artificial sharpening to the image, which my eye notices immediately. It's not quite right, Sony claims it is fixed, and prominent TV reviewers say it is likely not fixable due to hardware limitations. I contacted support for this and the issue I'm about to mention, and followed through to senior advisor. It's "fixed" in their eyes.

More troubling, the Sony website has removed VRR and ALLM from the product description for the TV, where it used to say pending firmware update. My call to support receives a canned response that those features are not available. I have brochures, PDFs, and screenshots showing that they were promised in a firmware update. I am at a loss, having spent over $1000 on a new TV expecting to use it for 10 years. I have filed an AG complaint, but feel a bit like David vs. Goliath here. Any thoughts on how to handle this? They have declined my request for a refund. They just announced a 2021 model with updated hardware and confirmed it will have the features my TV was promised, but missing.
Bogle7

Sony , LOL

Post by Bogle7 »

d18lover wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:24 pm I am at a loss, having spent over $1000 on a new TV expecting to use it for 10 years.
You so funny.
Software updates for 10 years.
Three index funds, baby.
Topic Author
d18lover

Re: Sony TV Advice - Consumer Issue

Post by d18lover »

Not that it would be updated for 10 years, but I was happy enough with the software included (and promised) that it would have satisfied my TV needs for 10 years, much like my last TV.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Unfortunately, this is what happens to early adopters sometimes. It’s too late to get a refund or dispute it with a cc. I would say try to sell it and get an lg or whatever that actually implemented the missing features. 1k is a bitter pill to swallow, but I remember paying 6k for my 50 inch plasma back in the day.
Maybe report it here also:
https://www.ftc.gov/about-ftc/bureaus-o ... protection
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I bought an expensive Sony TV several years ago. It had the standard one year warranty and I did not get an extended warranty. The picture failed after 15 months. The Geek Squad provided documentation of the failure. I wrote to Sony expressing my disappointment with the performance of their TV. To my surprise they agreed to replace it. You might try this approach and see how it goes. You can find a place on their website to formally complain about their products.
student

Post by student »

I know this is of no help to the OP. Based on my research, I think Sony's products are not what they used to be. I think for most mass market Sony TV, they don't even make the panels.
Last edited by student on Sat Jan 09, 2021 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

My brother-in-law bought the same model from BB last holiday. Returned the first two due to hardware and software problems. The 3rd one was excellent.
Yes, Sony is no longer what it used to be.
I'm happy with my lowly TCL 6-series from 2019. For $400, the only down side is the viewing angle.
GL.
j9j

Post by j9j »

mhalley wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:37 am Unfortunately, this is what happens to early adopters sometimes. It’s too late to get a refund or dispute it with a cc. I would say try to sell it and get an lg or whatever that actually implemented the missing features. 1k is a bitter pill to swallow, but I remember paying 6k for my 50 inch plasma back in the day.
Maybe report it here also:
https://www.ftc.gov/about-ftc/bureaus-o ... protection
Good advice. It is good you saved the brochures and information from before. Super shady of Sony to remove that information after the fact.
illumination

Post by illumination »

After getting burned by several Sony TV's in a row, I now make it a point to not buy them.

That's probably silly as the Sony's made today aren't at all the same as they were 10 years ago, but it's clear to me the brand seems to be coasting on their name and still charge a big premium when their quality and technology is behind other brands.

I was a loyal Sony customer for a long time, had no problem with the markup because it was the best and lasted forever. I noticed the brand falling apart around the early 2000's.

More of a media company now than an electronics company.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Sony typically includes very fine print in their brochures, which effectively gives them an out regarding what's promised in the slick product advertising.

Example: "The operating system, features and software of this product may be subject to separate or third party terms and conditions. Features can be changed, interrupted or discontinued at any time. "
New Providence

Post by New Providence »

mhalley wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 1:37 am I remember paying 6k for my 50 inch plasma back in the day.
Products were expensive, but the expectations were for products of high quality.

Now TVs are, like most stuff, cheaply produced in China. Producing high quality in the US, Germany or Japan would be expensive.

We want cheap prices, we get cheap products.
slidecreek

Post by slidecreek »

I think a chargeback or trying to find others who purchased this TV to start a class action lawsuit are the only real options.
Topic Author
d18lover

Post by d18lover »

The issue is gaining a lot of steam, being picked up across the web:

https://www.windowscentral.com/sony-scr ... -pages?amp

What kills me - As a TV for viewing content, it's great. We have a QLED in the other room and like both, but Sony seems to have more of a wow factor to my eye. I'll probably get another QLED or maybe splurge on an OLED for the living room, but the cost is a little more. Sony is going to take a huge PR and possible financial hit over this issue.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

d18lover wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:07 pm The issue is gaining a lot of steam, being picked up across the web:

https://www.windowscentral.com/sony-scr ... -pages?amp

What kills me - As a TV for viewing content, it's great. We have a QLED in the other room and like both, but Sony seems to have more of a wow factor to my eye. I'll probably get another QLED or maybe splurge on an OLED for the living room, but the cost is a little more. Sony is going to take a huge PR and possible financial hit over this issue.
OLED is so much better in picture quality, once you get it there's no looking back. (Sony "makes" OLED TVs as well, but the panels come from LG.) The cost difference vs. higher-end LCDs/QLEDs is pretty small now.
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

Sony will be supporting them via software update but it is delayed than original timeline.
https://www.sony.com/electronics/suppor ... s/00246472
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939