"Fun" with Spectrum Auto Pay

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Mudpuppy

"Fun" with Spectrum Auto Pay

Post by Mudpuppy »

I thought I'd post this since others may be face similar issues. Since the Chase Freedom 5% category this quarter includes Internet services, I went into Spectrum's account manager to update my Auto Pay method to the Chase Freedom card. I ran smack dab into an issue with their website in doing so: It had saved my Chase Freedom card information from when I used it a few years ago and the website would NOT let me update the expiration date. My current Chase card has the same number, but a new expiration date.

I tried entering in the card number with the new expiration date and hitting save in the Auto Pay manager screen. It went right back to the expired date. I tried deleting Auto Pay and setting it up again: right back to the expired date. I tried contacting with a Spectrum chat representative, who tried deleting Auto Pay, and, you guessed it, right back to the same expired date when I entered the card info again. The chat representative transferred me over to a billing representative, who tried deleting Auto Pay. Yeah, not much luck there either.

I asked repeatedly if they could just delete the expired cards from my account, since I'm pretty sure they have my expired AmEx info from a previous promo AmEx was running. They didn't seem to be able to do that. After over half an hour with various chat reps, about the only resolutions they could offer were one of the following:

(1) Delete Auto Pay, then try to pay the bill manually this month and contact them if the manual payment didn't accept the new expiration date.
(2) Give all the card info in the chat or by phone for the billing rep to try to update on their end.
(3) Reset my online account to see if that would update things.

Of those options, door number 1 seemed most acceptable to me. I have very low expectations that it will actually work. But I'm not in the habit of rattling off my card number to random reps, and it seemed like the account reset was a hail-Mary pass. You'd think they'd just have a way to delete expired credit cards from their system. Surely this has happened to others in the past. Maybe I just got a series of less-trained reps on a holiday weekend though, who weren't aware of how to handle this.
runner3081

Re: "Fun" with Spectrum Auto Pay

Post by runner3081 »

With the Chase 5% bonus, I plan to pay the entire year in advance, manually for internet.

If I were you, I would go with option 1 or 2.
Topic Author
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

runner3081 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:54 pm With the Chase 5% bonus, I plan to pay the entire year in advance, manually for internet.

Huh, I hadn't thought about paying enough in advance to max out the Freedom bonus. Thanks for that idea.

And I plan to use option 1 to begin with. If it fails to take the new expiration date, I'll use option 2.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Mudpuppy wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:59 pm
runner3081 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:54 pm With the Chase 5% bonus, I plan to pay the entire year in advance, manually for internet.

Huh, I hadn't thought about paying enough in advance to max out the Freedom bonus. Thanks for that idea.
In reality, it isn’t a huge amount of cash back compared to using my standard credit card. Only an extra 3% as I have the Fidelity 2% card.

Nonetheless, it is easy to do and every little bit is invested.
Topic Author
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

runner3081 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:43 pm In reality, it isn’t a huge amount of cash back compared to using my standard credit card. Only an extra 3% as I have the Fidelity 2% card.

Nonetheless, it is easy to do and every little bit is invested.
There's also the multiplier effect from transferring it over to my CSR and using the Pay Yourself Back (PYB) feature. I've really run down my Chase UR points via PYB over the last several months.
dickyboy

Post by dickyboy »

Mudpuppy wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:39 pm I thought I'd post this since others may be face similar issues. Since the Chase Freedom 5% category this quarter includes Internet services, I went into Spectrum's account manager to update my Auto Pay method to the Chase Freedom card. I ran smack dab into an issue with their website in doing so: It had saved my Chase Freedom card information from when I used it a few years ago and the website would NOT let me update the expiration date. My current Chase card has the same number, but a new expiration date.

I tried entering in the card number with the new expiration date and hitting save in the Auto Pay manager screen. It went right back to the expired date. I tried deleting Auto Pay and setting it up again: right back to the expired date. I tried contacting with a Spectrum chat representative, who tried deleting Auto Pay, and, you guessed it, right back to the same expired date when I entered the card info again. The chat representative transferred me over to a billing representative, who tried deleting Auto Pay. Yeah, not much luck there either.

I asked repeatedly if they could just delete the expired cards from my account, since I'm pretty sure they have my expired AmEx info from a previous promo AmEx was running. They didn't seem to be able to do that. After over half an hour with various chat reps, about the only resolutions they could offer were one of the following:

(1) Delete Auto Pay, then try to pay the bill manually this month and contact them if the manual payment didn't accept the new expiration date.
(2) Give all the card info in the chat or by phone for the billing rep to try to update on their end.
(3) Reset my online account to see if that would update things.

Of those options, door number 1 seemed most acceptable to me. I have very low expectations that it will actually work. But I'm not in the habit of rattling off my card number to random reps, and it seemed like the account reset was a hail-Mary pass. You'd think they'd just have a way to delete expired credit cards from their system. Surely this has happened to others in the past. Maybe I just got a series of less-trained reps on a holiday weekend though, who weren't aware of how to handle this.
I hear ya buddy...as I have a similar situation going on here. Moved into a different house about six months ago and they transferred my spectrum service to the new location and gave me a new account number. I used to pay my bill online but now can no longer do so since every time I log into my account, the old account number comes up showing no balance. No matter what I try I cannot edit that account number to access my current billing information, so now pay my bill by snail mail. No help from the service people as the last time I tried the online chat I was put on hold and then the chat was cancelled because of inactivity, after I wasted much needed time. Very frustrating to say the least. Needless to say I am not at all happy.
Topic Author
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Just to follow up, Option 1 (delete AutoPay and then pay manually) appears to have worked. I waited until the next bill hit the account, selected the manual payment option, put in all the credit card information, then selected the option to also enroll in AutoPay at the end. It seems to have taken my new expiration date now. I'll check back in a couple of days to be sure.