Very very warm Men’s Winter Coat

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
curious george

Post by curious george »

Dad asked me to help find him a warm winter coat.
Any suggestions for a warm (think very warm) winter coat.
He is always cold and enjoys walking outside but has decreased this because of weather. In the past, he would shift to indoor exercise at his community gym.
I don’t mind paying for quality but want a good value.
Warmth is primary issue. Prefer longer length as well
Any suggestions ?
Thanks
slidecreek

Re: Very very warm Men’s Winter Coat

Post by slidecreek »

Lookup the "Snow Mantra". It is probably overkill unless you live in Alaska, but it is very warm.
palaheel

Post by palaheel »

Whenever we want something that's too heavy to use in North Carolina, we buy from LL Bean. Some of their stuff is heavy in both the insulation and weight senses, though.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I would suggest layers and not a single coat. Don't forget head covering (i.e. hood, hat, beanie) and hand coverings (mittens, not gloves).

Any decent goosedown jacket will be warm, especially if layered with a wind shell.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

A thicker jacket with more loft will be warmer than one with less. A jacket with baffled construction will be warmer than one that is sewn through. A jacket with an insulated hood will be warmer than one without. Beyond that it doesn't much matter who the manufacturer is, what fill is used or how much it costs.
alec

Post by alec »

My dad is also always cold and loves LL Bean jackets.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair
Duckie

Post by Duckie »

curious george wrote:Dad asked me to help find him a warm winter coat.
Lands' End
Pandemic Bangs

Post by Pandemic Bangs »

Not medical advice but going outdoors less and feeling colder than before may be weight loss, low blood count, or hypothyroidism. Or just more sedentary than ever, I guess. If this is not a real departure from prior, then nvm. Also, encourage him to go up and down the steps a few times every hour or two. Helps me at work -- better than any sweater!
Wait 'til I get my money right | Then you can't tell me nothing, right?
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

What outdoor temps are we talking about?
Watty

Post by Watty »

You are probably asking the wrong question.

Using layers of clothing is usually more important than having one massive coat. Part of the layering is that he can have different materials next to his body that will wick perspiration away.

He also should have insulated boots, insulated pants, and a hat and gloves. Even if he has a great coat he will not be comfortable unless the rest of his body is protected too. It may be icy so he really needs good shoes or boots so that he does not slip and fall.

The hat is especially important since a lot of heat can be lost through the head.

If you get him a pair of ski bibs he will not need a long coat since that will cover his lower body.

Just how cold is where he is walking?
Last edited by Watty on Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catdoctor

Post by catdoctor »

Oros. ?
squirm

Post by squirm »

Milwaukee and Ridgid have heated jackets that use a battery. They keep your core warm.
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

Hi, OP. What price range are you looking for? Also, given that your dad wants to walk around a lot in the coat, can you go 2/3 length or is waist length better?
RJC

Post by RJC »

Canada Goose. My spouse just got a 3/4 length and it's incredibly warm even in 20-30 degree weather.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

I will add to the chorus, using more than just the coat is the best way for comfort. Use a base layer on the legs for sure. Two or three layers on top. Either a turtleneck or a neck gaiter makes a big difference, especially if there is any wind. A couple friends swear by the heat holders brand for hats, gloves and socks.
dalbright

Post by dalbright »

Snowmobile jackets are very warm. I use mine all the time when cycling year round when it gets below zero out. They also make heated jackets/sweatshirts by many tool companies such as bosch or milwaukee that provide supplemental heat and work quite well.
Helo80

Post by Helo80 »

They have those jackets with the heating elements in the lining that run off of USB. I would try that, in addition to a warm coat.
Thank God for Wall Street Bets.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Duckie wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:51 pm
curious george wrote:Dad asked me to help find him a warm winter coat.
Lands' End
I have a Land's End Squall. I don't need it where I live but have taken it on winter vacations several times and it served its purpose well.
elle

Post by elle »

Any high fill power down jacket and even better if it’s a parka style to beat rain and wind. I have a women’s version and as opposed to layers, it’s less bulky. But you better bet that if the weather warms up while wearing it, you will be sweating up a storm! I used to wear it commuting in Boston winters, walking .75 miles rain/shine/snow from the train station to work.

Example: https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens ... lsrc=aw.ds
Murgatroyd

Post by Murgatroyd »

I have this coat. It’s extra long and really keeps out the cold. When I wear it for snowblowing I have a t-shirt underneath and still have to open it up. At below zero temperatures. Looks like it’s on sale.

https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/10112338/m ... coal%20Htr
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

Don't forget a "neck gator". I got this recently (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0 ... UTF8&psc=1) and wondered how in the world I ever lived without one. It's not bulky, but stays up under your chin without you even realizing it's there. Makes a huge difference to me since I don't like having my coat zipped up all the way (feels too restrictive) and without it I was always semi-hunched over to keep the cold off my lower throat. Yes, I have a nice wool scarf but this is even better. Anyway, I know you asked about a coat (the longer length you mentioned increases warmth a lot) but once you find one, stuff a neck gator in the pocket for him to find. He'll love you for it.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Minnesota resident here. I buy from lands end. My coats have a hood and neck is protected by a think cushy wool scarf. Toe warmer boots with wool socks. Mittens. Under the coat is a t-neck and wool sweater.

Keeps me warm.

Suggest long underware on the bottom for longish walks
Last edited by Dottie57 on Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

This jacket keeps me warm down to negative temperatures.

https://www.rei.com/product/154167/rei- ... et-20-mens

Overkill for anything above freezing though.
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

Canada Goose is what expedition teams take to the Arctic. We love ours and would buy again.
Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking »

I bought a Columbia parka at Kohl’s a couple of years ago that is well insulated and relatively light in terms of the weight one has to carry around. It’s warm at zero degrees F with a sweatshirt underneath it. I’m in my seventies. It was on sale at about this time of year.

DMW
SquirrelEater

Post by SquirrelEater »

A heavier coat is not always the answer to being warm! Try some of these cheaper options that in my experience of squirrel hunting makes my day:

A cap, neck gaiter, scarf or similar can make a world of difference. I recall reading about half of our heat loss happens around neck and head. Yet we give so much attention to chest and limbs. My experience backs this. I recent got an East German military surplus wool neck gaiter that I am super impressed with. Cost me something like $7-$8. If he is itching to spend more than $7 a Stormy Kromer hat is handy. This gaiter can cover my face too.

Next I find good socks is important. Cold feet will drag you down outside. Overall avoid waterproof boots as they trap your feet moisture thus destroying the insulation. Go wool or wool blends. Or Wiggys!!
https://www.wiggys.com/footwear/socks-liners-booties/
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020557834

Cheap Walmart jogging pants can act as great leg insulation under normal pants. Wool base layer is helpful too. I avoid synthetic base layers as they seem to disappoint.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020698892

Good gloves are important. I got some cheap military surplus mittens from Czech Republic. They are camo mittens with trigger finger. $7-8? Very warm. Good dexterity. The inside looks & feels like a teddy bear. These are the kind of mittens you won’t easily wear holes into.

A good cleaning and fluffing of the existing coat may bring new temporary life back to the coat. A clean coat feels warmer to me. Rinse it good to get detergents out. I heard (I think I heard this from the Wiggys guy) detergents linger in the insulation and reduce the insulation value with accumulations.

Diet matters. If I am hungry I will feel colder. I stop feeling cold after eating a heavy meal when out squirrel hunting in the cold (I take a legit lunch break.). Foods full of carbs will not keep you warm. Drink bacon fat. Snack on suet (kidney fat). I am kidding here a bit. But do think fatty foods. Biscuits and gravy with extra sausage will keep the gut fire burning strong. Granola alone will make you miserable.
Topic Author
curious george

Post by curious george »

Thanks for the great ideas and responses
A few quick answers to the questions:
1) dad has had a medical checkup and his health is fine. Thanks for the polite but thoughtful inquiry as to his health. He sees his doctor regularly
2) I understand the benefit of layers but was hoping to keep it simple for him - put on big warm coat that is long (mid-thigh)
Layers offer some benefit but also make it more likely to just stay home/inside.
3) temp range is in the mid-Atlantic area - so not arctic temp but dad needs a thicker coat than what I need so looking forward something suitable for the New England area perhaps.
4) price range is around $300-500 or so but not fixed to that level. Really looking for a good, nice coat that can last and provide a good lasting value.

Thanks for all of the great suggestions
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

SquirrelEater wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:15 pm I recall reading about half of our heat loss happens around neck and head. Yet we give so much attention to chest and limbs.
FWIW, there is no scientific evidence that you lose more heat (proportionally, based on surface area) from your head/neck than any other body part. I would love to know where this myth originated. Nonetheless, you shouldn't forget to cover it if warmth is a concern.
Carousel

Post by Carousel »

Dehydration makes you feel cold.
My parents are both around 90. They don't hydrate enough.
ndayev6

Post by ndayev6 »

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/mens- ... tionId=3ZP

I have a Gotham Jacket from North Face that I purchased in 2007 in Syracuse, NY for walking 2 miles to college round trip. I then wore this in Ann Arbor, MI for 4 years. Then Rochester, NY for 3 years and now going strong for 3 years in rural finger lakes in NY. For a 13 year old winter coat this thing has really held up. It is unbelievably warm...sometimes too warm. I will eventually replace it with the same, but updated version. No further research needed.
Tortoise2030

Post by Tortoise2030 »

Gerry Men’s Systems Jacket

I bought this jacket last year and it's very warm with the liner in it (it can be removed and worn alone):

https://www.costco.com/gerry-men%e2%80% ... 74574.html
hi_there

Post by hi_there »

I like North Face stuff, because aside from build quality, they tailor the coats and make them look not frumpy like some other brands. However, I fine that the sleeves are sometimes on the long side, as if the clothing is designed for tall people. It probably fits their target demographic to be honest.

Actually now that I am looking at that link, it says: Model wears size M \ 6 ft 0 in Height, 38 in Chest, 31 in Waist. So yeah, what they consider to be "M" is a 6' tall athletic guy.

On the topic of fitting for online coats, it is probably better to expect to return one or two coats before you get the right one. It is not a cheap item, and it makes sense to get one that will fit well for years. Otherwise, if you are up to it, visit Nordstrom Rack or similar stores. They have a lot of stuff in your price range.
Rdytoretire

Post by Rdytoretire »

Eddie Bauer has many good choices. This is the parka I wear for walking whenever it's below freezing. I like that the extra length covers my backside. A good hat, scarf, gloves/mittens and boots help also. Wearing layers also helps. A vest is easy to slip on and helps keep your core warm.

Although when it gets too icy here in the midwest I just tend to stay indoors. It's too easy to hit an unexpected slick spot even with the proper footwear.

https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/10112225/m ... moke&size=
Last edited by Rdytoretire on Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Businesscasual

Post by Businesscasual »

Fjallraven down singi coat. Insanely warm, loaded with down, and about half the price of a Canada Goose. Highly recommend.

https://www.fjallraven.com/us/en-us/men ... 3450260712
Harri88

Post by Harri88 »

Where does he live, and what is his budget? I will suggest LLBean Parka's and Down. They have ratings to -40.https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/593?pag ... &newPla=1]
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:28 pm
SquirrelEater wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:15 pm I recall reading about half of our heat loss happens around neck and head. Yet we give so much attention to chest and limbs.
FWIW, there is no scientific evidence that you lose more heat (proportionally, based on surface area) from your head/neck than any other body part. I would love to know where this myth originated. Nonetheless, you shouldn't forget to cover it if warmth is a concern.
I have always questioned that "common wisdom" so when this study came out debunking it, I paid attention.
They traced the origins of the hat-wearing advice back to a US army survival manual from 1970 which strongly recommended covering the head when it is cold, since "40 to 45 percent of body heat" is lost from the head.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/200 ... nbehaviour
p14175

Post by p14175 »

I got this for my DH. He lives in it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MV ... UTF8&psc=1
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

If he's going walking in those, I'd think weight should be a consideration too? The North Face insulated down jackets are extremely warm and lightweight. I've never felt cold in any places I've been to in their down jackets. I think there's a super puffy one called the Retro Nuptse or something like that - you might take a look at that.

The downsides are that the outer lining is thin and tears relatively easily (not sure if this is true of all down jackets with a polyester outer lining) so if you go hiking, sharp branches can make tiny tears in it.
BeachPerson

Post by BeachPerson »

Harri88 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:32 pm Where does he live, and what is his budget? I will suggest LLBean Parka's and Down. They have ratings to -40.https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/593?pag ... &newPla=1]
I have it. I second LLBean goose down jackets
From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

Get the biggest, puffiest down jacket you can find. If money wasn't an issue, the Canada Goose Expedition parka is rated for -30C. For a more affordable price range, LL Bean has some good options.

https://www.canadagoose.com/ca/en/exped ... ens-parkas
https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/118939? ... sp=a&pos=1
https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/60850?p ... mest&pos=3
Northster

Post by Northster »

I have a Gerry. Don't know the model but it is quite warm even at 10 degrees, which is about my limit for my daily one hour walk.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

It hasn't been mentioned yet, but I've have very good success with Cabela's branded coats. I just sold one that I skied in for 11 years in temps as low as -29F, and it still looked almost new. I sold it because while it was very warm and waterproof, the inner lining was thick fleece, which made the coat pretty heavy. I replaced it with an Eddie Bauer down coat that weighs about a third of the Cabela's. But I haven't used it much, so I don't feel comfortable recommending it yet, though they get excellent reviews.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
gator15

Post by gator15 »

Canada goose but they are expensive.
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

My wife gave me a very lightweight Pajar a couple years ago and it is the warmest coat I've ever had including a Northface down jacket that lasted about 20 years. I live on the gulf coast so opportunities to wear it are limited but when I have in the teens or 20s it never fails to keep me warm. When at or just below freezing if I wear it while doing my typical 45 minute dog walk it can get too warm.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers
vkat

Post by vkat »

hi_there wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:44 pm I like North Face stuff, because aside from build quality, they tailor the coats and make them look not frumpy like some other brands. However, I fine that the sleeves are sometimes on the long side, as if the clothing is designed for tall people. It probably fits their target demographic to be honest.

Actually now that I am looking at that link, it says: Model wears size M \ 6 ft 0 in Height, 38 in Chest, 31 in Waist. So yeah, what they consider to be "M" is a 6' tall athletic guy.

On the topic of fitting for online coats, it is probably better to expect to return one or two coats before you get the right one. It is not a cheap item, and it makes sense to get one that will fit well for years. Otherwise, if you are up to it, visit Nordstrom Rack or similar stores. They have a lot of stuff in your price range.
+1
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

I second the parkas from LL Bean. Something like the Maine Warden works well, I used to live in MSP. I like to have something that is long enough to cover your butt and snug at the waist. I lived in Minneapolis for several years and walked to work in the winter.

If you need something cheaper the resort ski insulated shell jackets from Columbia work well.

I lean towards a shell with water and wind resistance over a puffy specifically for the wind resistance.
ad2007

Post by ad2007 »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:28 pm
US Army Field Manual for one. I can't remember how many briefings where this was drilled into us (incorrectly).
SwampDonkey

Post by SwampDonkey »

Murgatroyd wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:41 pm I have this coat. It’s extra long and really keeps out the cold. When I wear it for snowblowing I have a t-shirt underneath and still have to open it up. At below zero temperatures. Looks like it’s on sale.

https://www.eddiebauer.com/p/10112338/m ... coal%20Htr
Out of curiosity I clicked on the link and read a few reviews. This coat seems awesome and very reasonably priced (currently $240). This review (posted last week) would be enough to make me a buyer:

"I am a 1st time Eddie customer and live in Winnipeg Canada which is one of the coldest inhabited cities on Earth. It can with windchill hit -40C on some rare nights. Usually in the middle of a Winter evening we will hit -30C plus with windchill. I have been looking for a new "long parka" for a while and was going to get a Canada Goose or even better the OSC Canada which is certified for -40. Both cost over $1000 CAD. I am so glad that I took a chance and bought this Eddie Bauer. After a few weeks of wearing this parka, I can honestly say for 1/10th the price of these elite brands (I got it on sale) it's equal to IF NOT Better (at least with the Canada Goose)! I can't believe it! And the Eddie Bauer (unlike the Canada Goose) is WATERPROOF! My wife and I go for a 2 mile walk late every night in the blistering cold. She is frozen, yet I am toasty warm in my Edddie Bauer! And it's indeed WINDPROOF! We are so impressed, we ordered her the exact same parka in size small (she doesn't want to even try the women's... she loves mine!). Quality is fantasic so far... LOTS of own, great stitching and 2 way zippers. Also, the velcro straps to lock out cold from the sleeves is a nice touch. And indeed, the same outer jacket materials as the CGoose! I am a very skeptical person, but I HONESTLY say this jacket is TOP Notch for even professional outdoors people. Hey, if it can handle Winter-peg winters it can handle most anywhere! GET ONE!!!!!"
Topic Author
curious george

Post by curious george »

A heartfelt thanks to all for the many wonderful suggestions
Much appreciated