Luxury clothes

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Armani

Luxury clothes

Post by Armani »

For those of us here who enjoy wearing clothing of the highest quality such as Giorgio Armani, Hemut Lang, Ralph Lauren purple label, etc, where do you purchase your items? I always try to save money on luxury clothing.
barnaclebob

Re: Luxury clothes

Post by barnaclebob »

I've heard the website called therealreal.com has legitimate items. Prepare for some "holier than thou" responses...
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

I'd venture the truly "highest quality" clothing does not come from a big global "luxury brand" but a bespoke tailor that works on referrals from various wealthy/famous clients.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

Occasionally Purple Label suits show up on the clearance rack at the better Ralph Lauren outlet stores.

I’ve never bought one for myself but I have bought several to flip on eBay before. They net about $300-$500 apiece if they’re on the clearance rack.

Keep your eye out if you live near an “A-door” Ralph Lauren outlet.
3 Fund Portfolio. 70%/30% AA. No mortgage. Simple.
nimo956

Post by nimo956 »

I don't really need to dress up anymore since I haven't been into the office in 10 months, but when I did I used the following:

Shoes
https://www.skoaktiebolaget.com/

Socks
https://meschaussettesrouges.com/?lang=en

Misc items like socks, pocket squares, ties
https://www.gentlemansgazette.com/shop/
https://www.kentwang.com/

Shirts, pants, and jackets should be made by a tailor. Not sure where you live, but I've used the following in Boston and NYC:
https://www.drinkwaterscambridge.com/
https://www.alandavid.com/
50% VTI / 50% VXUS
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

alfaspider wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:50 am I'd venture the truly "highest quality" clothing does not come from a big global "luxury brand" but a bespoke tailor that works on referrals from various wealthy/famous clients.
Agreed. I mean for anything truly "high end" you have to go bespoke. I really don't consider Ralph Lauren or Armani high quality either, both are pretty middle-of-the-road.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I found this page of mostly men's startup clothing companies on the internet a few years ago and have used it to explore some brands I did not know about. I say "mostly" because Nordstrom and Bonobos (owned by Walmart) are there along with some you've probably heard of like Tommy John and others you may not have heard of. His list tends to be dressier I think so some of companies I've been purchasing clothes from for a few years like Outlier pants (bike messenger cool) and Myles Apparel (golf) are not on his list.

I do not make the assumption that quality, cost, and brand are correlated.

Plenty of high quality clothing items out there that are not name brand and are therefore lower in cost.

https://www.modernfellows.com/mens-fash ... up-brands/
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

What is Zoom luxury these days?
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Workaholic wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:01 am
Agreed. I mean for anything truly "high end" you have to go bespoke. I really don't consider Ralph Lauren or Armani high quality either, both are pretty middle-of-the-road.
RL's Purple Label garments are subcontracted out to small bespoke and boutique manufacturers. That said I find the the word "quality" a bit of a misnomer in this realm of stuff. "fine" seems more apt.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

rockstar wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:19 am What is Zoom luxury these days?
Just something nice from the waist up. Pants are optional.
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

Bespoke… why limit yourself to simply what's available on the market?

Lot of great tailors in every major city around the world. Asia if you're looking for a bargain. Many of them travel. Expect to go in for 2 fittings during your trip or visit.
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

Bathrobe blazers seems to be a thing this winter.

Honestly unless your camera and platform supports 4k video, everything looks equally put together with some minor effort.

Well made cozy items have drawn the most compliments. Usually I'm just wearing a OCBD and dark jeans otherwise.
S4C5

Post by S4C5 »

Armani wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:37 am For those of us here who enjoy wearing clothing of the highest quality such as Giorgio Armani, Hemut Lang, Ralph Lauren purple label, etc, where do you purchase your items? I always try to save money on luxury clothing.
I'm a hugo boss fan and usually buy from Nordstrom or direct from Hugo Boss.

I find Nordstrom annoying though and am looking for an alternative. Due to their upscale brand and image, their customer service is very poor. They act like they don't need your business and don't care if you're unhappy, because, well they're Nordstrom after all.

For instance, I ordered a $150 Boss shirt and they sent me the wrong shirt multiple times. I had to take it back to the post office to return it multiple times and they kept sending me the wrong shirt. I finally called and said hey your system is screwed up and you have a wasted a lot of my time. Instead of sending this shirt back a third time, can you just give me a refund or just let me keep this shirt and offer a discount for my inconvenience. They basically laughed and said something absurd like "we don't offer discounts for our mistakes as we prefer to correct our mistakes" and threatened that if I didn't send it back, they would charge my card the full price. I sent it back and they charged my card anyway and I had to file a dispute with my credit card. Nuts that they would treat someone who has bought thousands of dollars of stuff from them like this. Of course, when they have customers who spend millions with them on $1000 designer jeans, they probably don't care about me.
zorgs10

Post by zorgs10 »

In previous years, I'd go to the B&M shops and try the clothes on. The right fit is very important to me. This year has been different. I have switched primarily to online-shopping.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Savile Row is luxury ...

To Survive the Pandemic, Savile Row Cuts a Bespoke Strategy
He was collecting the roughly 20 measurements that are standard in a first Savile Row fitting, the initial step in the fabrication of a made-from-scratch suit that starts at about $8,000 and can reach as high as $40,000 for the priciest material.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/15/busi ... covid.html
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

S4C5 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:22 am
Armani wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:37 am For those of us here who enjoy wearing clothing of the highest quality such as Giorgio Armani, Hemut Lang, Ralph Lauren purple label, etc, where do you purchase your items? I always try to save money on luxury clothing.
I'm a hugo boss fan and usually buy from Nordstrom or direct from Hugo Boss.

I find Nordstrom annoying though and am looking for an alternative. Due to their upscale brand and image, their customer service is very poor. They act like they don't need your business and don't care if you're unhappy, because, well they're Nordstrom after all.

For instance, I ordered a $150 Boss shirt and they sent me the wrong shirt multiple times. I had to take it back to the post office to return it multiple times and they kept sending me the wrong shirt. I finally called and said hey your system is screwed up and you have a wasted a lot of my time. Instead of sending this shirt back a third time, can you just give me a refund or just let me keep this shirt and offer a discount for my inconvenience. They basically laughed and said something absurd like "we don't offer discounts for our mistakes as we prefer to correct our mistakes" and threatened that if I didn't send it back, they would charge my card the full price. I sent it back and they charged my card anyway and I had to file a dispute with my credit card. Nuts that they would treat someone who has bought thousands of dollars of stuff from them like this. Of course, when they have customers who spend millions with them on $1000 designer jeans, they probably don't care about me.
Many "high-end" brands are like this. I've found customer service of many of these mainstream designer brands to be very sub-par so I've switched to smaller, less well-known brands that offer an equally (or better) product with less markup and MUCH better customer service.
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

alfaspider wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:50 am I'd venture the truly "highest quality" clothing does not come from a big global "luxury brand" but a bespoke tailor that works on referrals from various wealthy/famous clients.
+1 this
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

barnaclebob wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:45 am I've heard the website called therealreal.com has legitimate items. Prepare for some "holier than thou" responses...
Yes, The Real Real does have high quality designer clothes at reasonable, and are very choosy about what they accept, and verify that the items are genuine. I know because my daughter sells her designer clothes through them. To give an idea about how choosy they are, she has a pair of beautiful Christian Louboutin shoes that she has worn once, and they wouldn't accept them because the red leather soles showed some scratches.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

10 year old Pajamas.

No sense buying clothes if you keep growing out of them. At least Pajamas can fit you regardless.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

if this thread was really about discounted luxury tailoring, shopthefinest is a very good vendor
Bogle7

Cargo shorts

Post by Bogle7 »

lthenderson wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:36 am Pants are optional.
No.
You just need to remember that cargo shorts are always in style.
And, here are ones you can waste money on—https://www.farfetch.com/shopping/men/a ... oreid=9462
$750. But, they include import duties.

Real Bogleheads buy their cargo shorts at Costco for $20.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

+1. I consider many of these labels "aspirational" brands targeted at the middle to upper middle class -- you start with the t-shirt or wallet, hope to afford the suit or luggage one day. The "real" luxury brands I don't think many here could even name (myself included), as they are more "under the radar" and don't sport logos.
ResearchMed

Re: Cargo shorts

Post by ResearchMed »

Bogle7 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:20 pm
No.
And, here are ones you can waste money on—https://www.farfetch.com/shopping/men/a ... oreid=9462

Why go cheap?

https://www.farfetch.com/shopping/men/r ... 941b92e95c

$2.952.00 for nice cotton cargo shorts.

Or, for just a few dollars LESS ($2,931), one can get the full length pants version.

https://www.farfetch.com/shopping/men/r ... cc52d4b070

Just in time for holiday giving!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

mrspock wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:26 pm
+1. I consider many of these labels "aspirational" brands targeted at the middle to upper middle class -- you start with the t-shirt or wallet, hope to afford the suit or luggage one day. The "real" luxury brands I don't think many here could even name (myself included), as they are more "under the radar" and don't sport logos.
Mmhmm I agree. Any company that spends money on advertisements and marketing is probably not a brand that the ".01%" are buying. TRUE luxury brands speak for themselves and do not want nor need to market their products as customers come to them.

The majority of posters here, myself included, are probably the target audience (as far as income/net worth go) that many aspirational brands are attempting to win over by expensive marketing. There are SOME aspirational brands that I've purchased over the years- a few were worth the money spent (Rolex, Tumi luggage) , but most were overhyped, overpriced items that I wish I never had fallen for.
seppatown

Post by seppatown »

Wealth signaling via clothing is a poor man's pitfall. Read through your past posts - don't fall for the hype. You are in the early stages of wealth accumulation. Just wear well-fitted clothing that is situationally-appropriate. Treat yourself if it makes you feel happy, but don't waste too much time thinking about how clothing brands represent you. They don't, designer brands don't represent "quality" in the slightest way, and no one who matters will care.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

This is when you get into the super high end watches.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

rockstar wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:41 pm
This is when you get into the super high end watches.
Watches are my downfall as far as any luxury good goes. I'd love to own a Patek Nautilus but I just can't bring myself to pull THAT trigger (if I could even FIND one).
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

seppatown wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:36 pm Wealth signaling via clothing is a poor man's pitfall. Read through your past posts - don't fall for the hype. You are in the early stages of wealth accumulation. Just wear well-fitted clothing that is situationally-appropriate. Treat yourself if it makes you feel happy, but don't waste too much time thinking about how clothing brands represent you. They don't, designer brands don't represent "quality" in the slightest way, and no one who matters will care.
+1. Great advice!

I love treating myself a good pair of running shoes, every 3 years.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

seppatown wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:36 pm Wealth signaling via clothing is a poor man's pitfall. Read through your past posts - don't fall for the hype. You are in the early stages of wealth accumulation. Just wear well-fitted clothing that is situationally-appropriate. Treat yourself if it makes you feel happy, but don't waste too much time thinking about how clothing brands represent you. They don't, designer brands don't represent "quality" in the slightest way, and no one who matters will care.
+1, I actually find it to be an advantage to dress per my middle class roots. It's a bit like poker, what purpose does giving away information about my status possibly serve? In scenarios where it might serve me (e.g. getting a loan), I'll signal it via other methods (like investment or bank statements, FICO scores etc.). By holding back some information, I can get a truer sense of who I'm dealing with, as well as make it easier for folks to interact with me since I'm not screaming my "status" at them which might evoke all sorts of negative emotions in my direction.
eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon »

I dress like the people I admire and want to emulate. Hint: it's more Bill Gates and less the Kardashians. As with most luxury goods, designer clothes are mostly purchased by the aspirational middle class to accompany their leased BMW. Those with actual wealth are as likely to shop at Target as they are 5th avenue.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

I don’t buy those brands. I have read enough news stories about counterfeit clothing to know if a deal seems too good to be true, it’s likely fake, stolen, used, or has a factory defect.
blastoff

Post by blastoff »

It seems to me there is a distinction between luxurious in quality, and in brand. Sometimes they overlap, but not always.

I find darn tough socks to be a luxury.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

lthenderson wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:36 am
Just something nice from the waist up. Pants are optional.
I am seeing a lot of sweaters at zoom meetings now a days...
HenryG

Post by HenryG »

Ok, I confess. Men's style is one of my guilty pleasures.

I highly recommend Put This On as a resource: https://putthison.com/start-here/
Investing time in research and learning will pay back in spades in cost avoidance. And answering the WHAT/WHY of purchases will make the WHERE easier.

You can minimize expenses by going second-hand, especially if you're experimenting with various brands. Ebay can be reasonable. I have bought and sold through luxeswap.com, and Leffot has a pre-owned shoe section at leffot.com.

Once you know what you're after, it's pretty straightforward to chase down purchase options. Italian brands at shopthefinest.com, as mentioned above. Niche designers at nomanwalksalone.com, as another example. Sometimes it's best to purchase directly from the brand. And yes, the conversation can quickly go to tailoring...
jabberwockOG

Re: Cargo shorts

Post by jabberwockOG »

Bogle7 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:20 pm
No.

$20 nah - $13.99 cargos work for me at Costco. I sit here typing this dressed and shod in 100% pure luxury Costco : )
Topic Author
Armani

Post by Armani »

I do get my suits custom made. They cost around $1,000 each. I’m short and fat. Buying off the rack just isn’t an option. My dress shirts are custom too. But I like Ralph Lauren polos and Armani is just damn elegant. I also love the bold designs of Robert Graham but his stuff sadly is not meant for portly men.
playtothebeat

Post by playtothebeat »

Armani wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:54 pm I do get my suits custom made. They cost around $1,000 each. I’m short and fat. Buying off the rack just isn’t an option. My dress shirts are custom too. But I like Ralph Lauren polos and Armani is just damn elegant. I also love the bold designs of Robert Graham but his stuff sadly is not meant for portly men.
My local tailor (in Southern California, so a HCOL area) will make custom suits for $300-400. $1k seems excessive.
anoop

Post by anoop »

I don't like any of those brands as I think they are overpriced for the quality and one is paying a lot for the branding.

I buy my polos from these folks. Size can be customized and quality has been consistent over the years.
https://www.vastrm.com/
They offer a sale with around 40-50% off everything including "design your own" around Thanksgiving each year.

No special wash instructions. Survives a normal warm wash & dryer, unlike many "luxury" polos that need to be hand washed and flat dried.

I buy my pants by mail from a small shop in NC and get them altered locally if I need to.
https://www.thehubltd.com/
Last edited by anoop on Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

We love our clothes from Costco!
Picasso

Post by Picasso »

Martin Greenfield custom any day. The best experience I’ve had with regards to suiting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Greenfield
bagle

Post by bagle »

For bespoke coats and true high-end, artisanal brands such as Edward Green, Crockett & Jones, Drakes and made-to-measure Naples suits:

https://www.permanentstyle.com/

On the casual side, he buys bespoke selvedge Levis (yes, they exist).

Warning: Armani, with its cheap fused linings, gets no respect on forums like this.

These are expensive items, but in some ways very Boglehead and good long-term value. I've got a pair of Crockett & Jones dress shoes. They retailed for about $600, but I found them on sale, and I've worn them thousands of times and had them resoled 5 times (because they have a Goodyear welt). They're still going strong after a decade and my shoe repair guy says they'll last another decade.

Putthison.com and dieworkwear.com have good lists of Black Friday sales.
deserat

Post by deserat »

Interesting-I have two tailored jackets from a trip to Bangkok-they are classic and perfect for before COVID when I did presentations at meetings or conferences. I always got comments on the professionalism and stylishness of my dress. Were they pricy? Yes, however, price per wearing is lower than anything cheap in general as these were tailored to a timeless style with quality coth (lightweight wool and Thai silk). I also have Norwegian Oleana merino wool sweaters I've purchased over the years-again, not the cheapest, but price per wearing has been excellent compared to the overly chic stuff that is much more expensive.

I don't buy much clothing now because those purchases have lasted and are timeless in style.
I joke that I will be burned/buried in all of the Oleanas as I love them.

One other aspect that has driven my clothes shopping is weight to comfort/bulky/ season spanning capabilitiy. I used to travel a lot both US and international and the ability to have good looking clothes that are easily packed and fairly wrinkle free and sink-washable became a prime requirement. The sweaters are a very thin merino wool that provide great warmth with a much lower volume and space as compared to the Dale of Norway sweaters. I was usually traveling from AZ to the Nordics or some other colder place-I dislike checking my bags for travel, so lightweight, low bulk became one of the prime clothing constraints. The fact that I can also be stylish is a plus.
Helios

Post by Helios »

I have had great luck with itailor.com.
I get custom fit clothing with top drawer materials.
Costs are excellent.
I was nervous about ordering, but its straightforward.
Only downside is 4-6 weeks order time. Worth tge wait.
goos_news

Post by goos_news »

To the OP -- You sparked some interesting posts, and I've found some links interesting. It sounds like you are interested in ready to wear lines from upper mid range brands. You might consider Saks, as they tend to have more sales (of the Department stores). Online, Yoox is another discounter. As people are quick to point out, many of these mainstream brands are now just marketing machines, and don't offer true high end quality (and as pointed out, take some shortcuts that some of their direct competitors do not). The same can be said of some of the online DTC brands. Getting discounts on these brands helps bring a potential step up in quality at a more reasonable price (notably on shoes).

On another topic, many of these famous brands and designer lines actually still have their couture lines and boutiques. These are the places where you often have to make an appointment. For men, an example is Zegna's custom boutique on via Montenapoleone in Milan. It's like a custom tailor, but with a brand markup (and possibly better fabrics).
novemberrain

Post by novemberrain »

nice!
Last edited by novemberrain on Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

When I used to have to dress up, Paul Stuart's sales were my go to. In the past I've bought some of the labels referenced here and often found the quality lacking.

These days I consider Carhart high end.
Topic Author
Armani

Post by Armani »

HenryG wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:39 am Ok, I confess. Men's style is one of my guilty pleasures.

I highly recommend Put This On as a resource: https://putthison.com/start-here/
Investing time in research and learning will pay back in spades in cost avoidance. And answering the WHAT/WHY of purchases will make the WHERE easier.

You can minimize expenses by going second-hand, especially if you're experimenting with various brands. Ebay can be reasonable. I have bought and sold through luxeswap.com, and Leffot has a pre-owned shoe section at leffot.com.

Once you know what you're after, it's pretty straightforward to chase down purchase options. Italian brands at shopthefinest.com, as mentioned above. Niche designers at nomanwalksalone.com, as another example. Sometimes it's best to purchase directly from the brand. And yes, the conversation can quickly go to tailoring...
Best damn response yet. That site is full of great info. Very useful.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

I'm so glad I have not one but two jobs where I can wear my pajamas to work, and this was all even before COVID. I would have a hard time dropping $40K on a suit when I could save 10 lives with it if it were spent on mosquito nets. But hey, everyone has their vice I suppose and I certainly "waste" money on silly stuff like boat gas and maintenance.

Clothes and cars don't rank very high on my priorities.

I'm curious for those of you who are into this stuff (or $5-50,000 watches), what do you think when you look all around you and see schmucks like me wearing such cheap stuff? Do you think less of us? Do you spend time with other people who wear stuff like that and talk fashion? What's it like being you? Give us some insight because some of us can't relate to this AT ALL.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

White Coat Investor wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:16 pm I'm so glad I have not one but two jobs where I can wear my pajamas to work, and this was all even before COVID. \
+1 for wearing my pajamas to work. I do it every day since March. There's no going back to business suit now.

For everyday casual, I have off-brand Academy gym attire most of the time. Then I mix in GAP clothes on sale during Nov/Dec. I keep my clothes and shoes for a long time. As a result, on average, I spend less than $50 a year on clothing.

My household income is well into 6 figure, and our net worth crossed 7 figure within 5 years of our professional careers. We don't appear rich, and we're pretty much as described in "The millionaire next door" book.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

White Coat Investor wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:16 pm
I'm curious for those of you who are into this stuff (or $5-50,000 watches), what do you think when you look all around you and see schmucks like me wearing such cheap stuff? Do you think less of us? Do you spend time with other people who wear stuff like that and talk fashion? What's it like being you? Give us some insight because some of us can't relate to this AT ALL.
If your profession requires you to wear a suit, then by definition you would be hanging out predominantly with other suit wearing professionals. I'd imagine in places like NY you would have the option to socialize with other like dressed individuals.

After work you're more likely to wear that suit with your coworkers when you go to the bar or just go straight home and change out of it.

I have no insight into people who wear suits all the time. Check out Styleforum if you want to see how they live. But they also wear high end "street clothes" so.... *shrug*

As for watches, you are either in one of two groups: 1) you care because everyone in your social circle has a fancy one, or 2) you wear one because you like it and don't really give a darn about everyone else. If you are #2, you may scope out other people's watches out "in the wild" and may comment whenever you see another watch lover usually using words such as "nice watch man".

The watch is more like your boat. Only watch enthusiasts will even care what watch someone else is wearing. They're easily glossed over. Plenty of people wear their gold Day-Dates to Costco in their Kirkland branded clothes. Sure, they're all retired, but still, they do it. *or they used to before the pandemic