Oatmeal -- figuring out what I bought earlier

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
rjbraun

Oatmeal -- figuring out what I bought earlier

Post by rjbraun »

We bought oatmeal from Trader Joe's in the past and like it well enough. Unfortunately, I don't recall the specifics of what we got, and whatever oatmeal we currently have from TJ's isn't what we want.

I think the earlier stuff was steel cut oats. It took about 30 minutes to prepare. Of the two varieties we have now and don't like, one is instant oatmeal and cooks in I think 3-5 minutes; it looked like the paper-mâché (paste?) from elementary school and got tossed in the garbage. The other canister is quick cook steel cut oats. It was passable, but we won't buy it again.

Also, as we aren't shopping at TJ's during the pandemic, we need to order online and won't be able read the canister to check for cook times and stuff.

For the knowledgeable oatmeal eaters on the forum, what should I be looking for? Presumably, it is steel cut oatmeal, and not the quick cooking variety. To be clear, I would be fine with shortening the prep time to under 30 minutes, which is about the upper bound to wait to eat breakfast. But if 30 minutes results in a tastier and healthier product, it's doable.

Are the Bob's Red Mill or McCann's products the way to go? We're definitely spending less during the pandemic overall, so we are find with paying up for food, especially healthy stuff :D

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=steel+cut+oa ... ts-a-p_2_5
Stumptowngal

Re: Oatmeal -- figuring out what I bought earlier

Post by Stumptowngal »

We make oatmeal more days than not. I, too, have not found anything lately at Trader Joes that suits us.

Our current favorite is Bob's Red Mill Organic Quick Cooking Steel Cut Oats. It's ready in 7 minutes and is 100% whole grain. The first time I made it I was dubious how steel cut oats could be cooked so quickly; but it really is a good product in our mind. It is not not like paste at all and and retains a nutty grainy texture. I would not use it for making oatmeal cookies; but as a cooked cereal we like it.

I'm sure there are multiple places to buy it. We buy a huge bag at Costco which is cost-effective and lasts a long time.
tfunk

Post by tfunk »

We bought some Organic steel cut oats on Amazon. Very happy with the quality. There a a number of recipes online for preparing steel cut oats.

Bakery On Main Gluten-Free, Non-GMO Happy Oats, Steel Cut, 24 Ounce, (2 Count)
AerialP

Post by AerialP »

One easy way to significantly reduce the time to cook steel cut oats in the morning is to soak them beforehand overnight.
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

I don't know if there is, or can be, a big difference between different brands of steel cut oats. I mean, we are talking about unprocessed oats. So I would ignore anything that says "quick" or "flakes". These have been processed, even if the process is minimal.

I personally would advoke cooking them in a pressure cooker, like Instant Pot. Done perfectly in 15 minutes with no oversight.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

rjbraun wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:00 pm We bought oatmeal from Trader Joe's in the past and like it well enough. Unfortunately, I don't recall the specifics of what we got, and whatever oatmeal we currently have from TJ's isn't what we want.

I think the earlier stuff was steel cut oats. It took about 30 minutes to prepare. Of the two varieties we have now and don't like, one is instant oatmeal and cooks in I think 3-5 minutes; it looked like the paper-mâché (paste?) from elementary school and got tossed in the garbage. The other canister is quick cook steel cut oats. It was passable, but we won't buy it again.

Also, as we aren't shopping at TJ's during the pandemic, we need to order online and won't be able read the canister to check for cook times and stuff.

For the knowledgeable oatmeal eaters on the forum, what should I be looking for? Presumably, it is steel cut oatmeal, and not the quick cooking variety. To be clear, I would be fine with shortening the prep time to under 30 minutes, which is about the upper bound to wait to eat breakfast. But if 30 minutes results in a tastier and healthier product, it's doable.

Are the Bob's Red Mill or McCann's products the way to go? We're definitely spending less during the pandemic overall, so we are find with paying up for food, especially healthy stuff :D

We use the "McCanns, Oatmeal Irish Tin" (the way the package shows on your link) - not the "quick" version - and it's great.
We even like it just a tiny bit undercooked, so it is not at all mushy. But we'll often make a big pot, and eat some throughout the day, so it will be a bit more cooked by then anyway. And it's still excellent, still has the slight crunch/graininess, which is the key for us.

We now have a package of Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats, but have not yet tried that.

Yes, the prep time can be a bit annoying, but it's worth it for the quality/taste/texture.
We have not yet tried any of the short-cuts, like soaking them overnight first or such.
(DH now needs to take one med prior to eating anything in the morning, so that lag time works well now anyway.)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

We greatly prefer oat groats to any other (more processed) form of oats. Not sure if you can get them at TJ's.
increment

Post by increment »

We like the regular Bob's steel-cut oats. When we ran out, we bought the McCann's and they were good too.

I use a rice cooker on time delay, so they cook for one hour, mostly while I am asleep.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

We prefer McCann's Steel Cut Oats. Kroger brand is also very good at half the price. We avoid the quick cooking variety...just not the same.
TeacherLady

Post by TeacherLady »

Our family has found Oatmeal Nirvana, which is "Coach's Oats" from Costco.It's somewhat-chopped steel-cut oats, so cooks in 5 - 7 minutes in the microwave oven. Result is perfect texture, not too chewy, not slimy nor mushy. Nirvana. Yum. Costco.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I prefer Bob's Red Mill regular steel cut oats (not quick cook) to McCann's.
Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:13 pm I prefer Bob's Red Mill regular steel cut oats (not quick cook) to McCann's.
How long does the Bob's Red Mill regular steel cut oats take to cook? Same question for McCann's, if you happen to know. Thanks in advance!
bberris

Post by bberris »

I can't tell the difference between brands of standard slow-cook steel cut. It's just oats. I get it at Aldi.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

I've had the TJ steel cut oats - but then switched over to the Aldi's version. Same stuff as far as I can tell.
If I had to wing it ordering on line - I would buy something that specifically said Steel Cut Oats (with no "quick" on the label). It's oats. I suspect most store brands are the same/similar to Quarker or TJs. Not sure about the organic brands.

FWIW: that dash of salt the instructions calls for is a make it or break it thing. I always add the salt.

I'm single. I make 4 servings at a time (on the stove top in the "oatmeal pot" (2 quart sauce pan) ). I put each serving in a 1 cup container - 2 go in the fridge, 2 go to the freezer.

In the morning - I put the serving in a bowl, I usually add a tablespoon or two of water and microwave and stir. I add some sugar or fruit or homemade jam or walnuts or cinnamon (whatever's on hand and appealing) once it's warmed and finish it in the microwave. If it's not creamy enough I add a bit more water and nuke some more.

I don't have oatmeal every day - so freezing some of it saves time/effort. I can't imagine having to make oatmeal every time I wanted some - I would never bother with it.
Last edited by LittleMaggieMae on Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Impatience

Post by Impatience »

Every brand of oats is the same. Try steel cut or old fashioned style oats. I prefer old fashioned ... they are presented as-is and are relatively hearty. Costco will sell you a few lbs for very cheap indeed.

Also - half an hour to make oats? I microwave a cup of oats in a bowl of milk and they’re fully cooked and steaming hot in 2 minutes.
lws

Post by lws »

Eat regular oatmeal every day.
Cook it in the microwave for 4 minutes.
Add berries and Greek yogurt.
Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

LittleMaggieMae wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:36 pm I've had the TJ steel cut oats - but then switched over to the Aldi's version. Same stuff as far as I can tell.
If I had to wing it ordering on line - I would buy something that specifically said Steel Cut Oats (with no "quick" on the label). It's oats. I suspect most store brands are the same/similar to Quarker or TJs. Not sure about the organic brands.

FWIW: that dash of salt the instructions calls for is a make it or break it thing. I always add the salt.

I'm single. I make 4 servings at a time (on the stove top in the "oatmeal pot" (2 quart sauce pan) ). I put each serving in a 1 cup container - 2 go in the fridge, 2 go to the freezer.

In the morning - I put the serving in a bowl, I usually add a tablespoon or two of water and microwave and stir. I add some sugar or fruit or homemade jam or walnuts or cinnamon (whatever's on hand and appealing) once it's warmed and finish it in the microwave. If it's not creamy enough I add a bit more water and nuke some more.

I don't have oatmeal every day - so freezing some of it saves time/effort. I can't imagine having to make oatmeal every time I wanted some - I would never bother with it.
Wow, love the idea of making extra oats and then just saving a bunch for another time. How long will the cooked oats keep in the fridge? I take it there's no or little degradation in quality. Don't think that I want to use our limited freezer capacity to store cooked oatmeal.

Thanks for the tip on the salt. Who knew.
fogalog

Post by fogalog »

rjbraun wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:00 pm We bought oatmeal from Trader Joe's in the past and like it well enough. Unfortunately, I don't recall the specifics of what we got, and whatever oatmeal we currently have from TJ's isn't what we want.

30 minutes seems like an awfully long time for oatmeal?

I suspect what you had from TJs is their "Rolled Oats". That's what I eat and it is my favourite brand. I don't like "Steel Cut" because I tend to find they end up like mush (as you describe above). I prefer a bit more bite.

I do half a cup of oats with half a cup of Oatly oat milk and half a cup of water. 2 minutes in the microwave on full and let stand for 10-20 mins. Use a larger bowl than needed to avoid boil over. In the mornings I make it, have a shower then eat. If you make it in a pan on the stove the same principle applies: bring to the boil then turn off and leave it while you go do something else.

It is traditional to eat it with salt (Ireland, Scotland) but I prefer with fresh fruit (usually blueberries). I have a good friend who swears by oatmeal with salt and a soft-boiled egg. Yes, all in the same bowl :shock:

Good luck!

PS: I can PM you a picture of the TJ packaging if that helps. Let me know.
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

These do it for me

https://www.amazon.com/Better-Instant-O ... 24&sr=8-15

also available at our local Krogers.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
Volkdancer

Post by Volkdancer »

I resolved the time problem for preparing oatmeal with a morning routine of starting the oatmeal going then running through a series of yoga stretches while it is cooking. That helps me fit the stretching into a daily routine by accomplishing two things at once.

Some friends prepare steel cut oatmeal in quantity in a crockpot, refrigerate after the first freshly cooked, and over the next several mornings microwave a portion. When I have tried theirs at their home, it is tasty to me.

Of course, I usually add crushed pineapple, cinnamon, and walnut pieces, sometimes sprinkling with Ezekiel's for a little crunch, but those additions can cover a multitude of sins.

Karl V
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

We get steel cut oats (not quick cooking) at Aldi. I cook it overnight in a small crockpot. One cup oats to four cups water. Set on low for the night. The next morning stir well. It makes a lot. I put most of it in a glass container, then in the fridge. Since I’m the only one who eats it, it lasts me about a week. Just put a few spoonsful in a bowl each morning and microwave for about a minute and voila—perfect! I add milk, walnuts and fruit.

Easier than instant and very healthy.
Swimmer

Post by Swimmer »

Volkdancer....I think we were typing the same thing simultaneously. Great minds...
Topic Author
rjbraun

Post by rjbraun »

fogalog wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:49 pm 30 minutes seems like an awfully long time for oatmeal?

I suspect what you had from TJs is their "Rolled Oats". That's what I eat and it is my favourite brand. I don't like "Steel Cut" because I tend to find they end up like mush (as you describe above). I prefer a bit more bite.

I do half a cup of oats with half a cup of Oatly oat milk and half a cup of water. 2 minutes in the microwave on full and let stand for 10-20 mins. Use a larger bowl than needed to avoid boil over. In the mornings I make it, have a shower then eat. If you make it in a pan on the stove the same principle applies: bring to the boil then turn off and leave it while you go do something else.

It is traditional to eat it with salt (Ireland, Scotland) but I prefer with fresh fruit (usually blueberries). I have a good friend who swears by oatmeal with salt and a soft-boiled egg. Yes, all in the same bowl :shock:

Good luck!

PS: I can PM you a picture of the TJ packaging if that helps. Let me know.
Actually, I think I found a picture on my phone, and, assuming it's the right product, what I like is "Trader Joe's steel cut organic oats".

Thanks for offering to PM me a picture, but all the canisters seem to resemble one another. At least that's the case for the two TJ's products I currently have; the canisters look close enough to what I recall the container of the product I like looking like. Just out of curiosity and if it's not too much trouble, what is the cooking time for TJ's "Rolled Oats"?
LittleMaggieMae

rjbraun wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:48 pm
LittleMaggieMae wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:36 pm I've had the TJ steel cut oats - but then switched over to the Aldi's version. Same stuff as far as I can tell.

Wow, love the idea of making extra oats and then just saving a bunch for another time. How long will the cooked oats keep in the fridge? I take it there's no or little degradation in quality. Don't think that I want to use our limited freezer capacity to store cooked oatmeal.

Thanks for the tip on the salt. Who knew.
Before Covid19 and WFH - I would make 4 servings on Sunday night with water and parcel it out into 4 one cup actual Tupperware cups. I'd then take a "cup" to work for breakfast each work day. Sometimes I was negligent and would finish up a "cup" the next Saturday. so I'd say you've got 5 to 7 days. I think it STRONGLY depends on how air tight the container is. I have terrible luck with glad and rubber maid and ziploc containers - stuff dries out. (some weeks I'd make the oatmeal and freeze 2 or 3 to use a week or two in the future. It depended on what was on my calendar. )

Warning - the oatmeal in the container right out of the fridge won't look appetizing. you need to reheat and add some liquid.

I transfer the oatmeal to a bowl and add in extra water ( usually about 2 tablespoons) and then microwave about a minute - I give it a good stir and add more water if it's not the right consistency. Microwave (another minute) some more until it's hot (stirring again) . I add in the "add ins" once it's steaming hot... but that's just me. I've used those little cream cups that go with coffee instead of water or even milk or almond milk or vanilla soy milk. it all works. I like to take plain oatmeal and then change it up when I 'reheat' to eat.

If you plan to re-heat and eat out of the storage container - I'd go with a 1.5 cup container - that way you can mix in extra water (or cream or milk) and have room to stir.
mkc

Post by mkc »

We prefer McCann's over Bob's Red Mill for steel cut oats (not quick cooking ones, which I think are par-steamed and dried so they cook faster). Above both we prefer Scottish pinhead oats from "The Oatmeal of Alford", but Alford's mill for the oats had a fire back in April and it's unclear when their product will be available again. Have not tried their medium-cut oats which apparently *are* available.
LittleMaggieMae

Volkdancer wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:18 pm
Of course, I usually add crushed pineapple, cinnamon, and walnut pieces, sometimes sprinkling with Ezekiel's for a little crunch, but those additions can cover a multitude of sins.

Karl V
What madness is this... crushed pineapple in oatmeal?!? I must try this!
Retired1809

Post by Retired1809 »

I grew up with Quaker Original Old Fashion Oatmeal and although I've experimented with steel-cut oatmeal, I never inhaled (meaning that I just never found them to be worth the extra bother).

Every morning, I prepare said Quaker Original Old Fashion Oatmeal (not the Quick Cook version) in a microwave at 50% power for six minutes, then add toasted walnuts, a large handful of blueberries, ground flaxseed and a recent addition of a tablespoon of good Extra Virgin Olive Oil. This is all happening while I'm brewing my coffee and stirring my Metamucil. I've found that the generic store brands of oat meal just don't measure up to the quality, texture and taste of Quaker Oats (the real deal). And I also believe that the Quaker Oatmeal that I have been buying at Costco is superior to the Quaker Oatmeal sold in other stores. (Quaker produces a special package for Costco containing two giant bags of oatmeal, with the total contents equal to around three large boxes sold at other grocery stores.)

With the oatmeal itself, KISS. Then add whatever your heart desires!
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

rjbraun wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:23 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:13 pm I prefer Bob's Red Mill regular steel cut oats (not quick cook) to McCann's.
How long does the Bob's Red Mill regular steel cut oats take to cook? Same question for McCann's, if you happen to know. Thanks in advance!
That depends upon whether you like it al dente or mushy.

Here's Bob's official recipe:

For Stove Top Cooking

Bring 3 cups water and 1/2 tsp salt to a boil then add 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Steel Cut Oats.
Reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook 10 - 20 minutes (depending on how chewy you like your cereal). Stir occasionally.
Remove from heat and let stand covered for a couple of minutes. Yields about 3 cups.
CAsage

Post by CAsage »

TeacherLady wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:12 pm Our family has found Oatmeal Nirvana, which is "Coach's Oats" from Costco.It's somewhat-chopped steel-cut oats, so cooks in 5 - 7 minutes in the microwave oven. Result is perfect texture, not too chewy, not slimy nor mushy. Nirvana. Yum. Costco.
I also love Coach's Oats from Costco. But I only microwave it for about 3 minutes! 1 cup water, 1/2 oats makes a good sized serving - and I add Almond butter and honey. Yum.
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.
goaties

Post by goaties »

Perhaps what the OP is looking for is sometimes called "oat groats, steel cut": instead of being rolled into a flake, you have a kind of nugget. I have learned a very easy way to cook it. Back in March when it was clear to me that we were in for some special kind of hell, pandemic-wise, I bought a couple five pound bags of the stuff from one of the various "prepper" sites.

I cook it in my rice cooker. One cup groats and 1.5 cups water and a dash of salt. Turn on the rice cooker. Go do something productive. As soon as you hear the rice cooker snap off, immediately remove the inner bowl from the heating unit and let it sit for 10 minutes. That 10 minutes is crucial, otherwise most of it sticks to the inside of the bowl. I serve mine with a few tablespoons of pecan meal (also bought in five pound bags at the same prepper site) and a bit of half-n-half. Yum. The whole process takes maybe 20 minutes, but there's a lot less fuss than doing it on the stovetop.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Bob's quick cook vs regular per quora ... I like Bob's quick cook for 12 minutes IP low pressure.

Answer. Bob's Red Mill makes quick cook steel cut oats. According to them, they're just cut smaller. ... Our Quick Cooking Steel Cut Oats are cut a little smaller than our Regular Steel Cut Oats, making them ready in a scant 5 to 7 minutes.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

hicabob wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:00 pm Bob's quick cook vs regular per quora ... I like Bob's quick cook for 12 minutes IP low pressure.

Answer. Bob's Red Mill makes quick cook steel cut oats. According to them, they're just cut smaller. ... Our Quick Cooking Steel Cut Oats are cut a little smaller than our Regular Steel Cut Oats, making them ready in a scant 5 to 7 minutes.
Is this ("cut smaller") really the *only* difference between Bob's Red Mill regular and quick cooking? NO other processing, not any pre-cooking... nothing else?
But that's a big difference in cooking time.

If so, that might be worth a try.
We both really enjoy the "graininess" of the "regular" steel cut, a lot.

Thanks.

RM
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

I buy and make Bob's Red Mill steel cut oats (have been for years). I make a large enough batch (three full cups at a time) which lasts me about one week. Takes about 90 minutes +/- on low heat on stove. Eating it now in fact.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
zag00

Post by zag00 »

overnight oats using Quaker Old Fashioned is a work week staple. Bought in bulk at Costco - lasts several months.
NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 »

hicabob wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:00 pm Bob's quick cook vs regular per quora ... I like Bob's quick cook for 12 minutes IP low pressure.

Thank you, I was about to ask this board's opinion on that. I've always preferred steel cut to rolled oats. And I don't mind the morning ritual of cooking for 7 minutes or so, but going 30+ while juggling the morning routine these days is a bit much. I had looked on line asking the processing difference between quick cook and regular steel cut, wary of having excess ingredients added to my oats but found nothing suggesting the difference (generally) was anything beyond a finer cut (I know with instant rolled oats they're basically just ground very small). It makes sense to this engineer that greatly expanding the surface area of the oat per it's size would quicken water absorption :) So I've mostly been going with Bob's or McCann bought on Amazon since both my nearby supermarkets suddenly stopped carrying quick cook steel cut.
fogalog

Post by fogalog »

rjbraun wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:21 pm Thanks for offering to PM me a picture, but all the canisters seem to resemble one another. At least that's the case for the two TJ's products I currently have; the canisters look close enough to what I recall the container of the product I like looking like. Just out of curiosity and if it's not too much trouble, what is the cooking time for TJ's "Rolled Oats"?
2 mins in the microwave, then let it sit for 10 mins. Or bring to the boil on the stove, switch off and let it sit for 10 mins.
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

I just buy the quick oats, pour some in a bowl, add some hot water from the faucet, and microwave it for 1.5min. I eat them with sucralose sweetener mixed in.
Strummer

Post by Strummer »

Stumptowngal wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:17 pm We make oatmeal more days than not. I, too, have not found anything lately at Trader Joes that suits us.

Our current favorite is Bob's Red Mill Organic Quick Cooking Steel Cut Oats. It's ready in 7 minutes and is 100% whole grain. The first time I made it I was dubious how steel cut oats could be cooked so quickly; but it really is a good product in our mind. It is not not like paste at all and and retains a nutty grainy texture. I would not use it for making oatmeal cookies; but as a cooked cereal we like it.

I'm sure there are multiple places to buy it. We buy a huge bag at Costco which is cost-effective and lasts a long time.
This is what I eat, too, and I get it at Costco as well. I would echo everything said above re: quality, flavor, and uses. It's the same stuff that you'll find here.

I wanted to clear up a couple bits of oatmeal terminology while I'm here. As mentioned above, whole oats are called groats. If you pass the groats between two steel rollers to thin them out, you end up with rolled oats. (The thinner they are, the faster they cook.) Groats that are cut using blades are steel cut oats and again, the smaller the pieces, the quicker they cook.
AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn »

We eat more oats than most people (the kids are into it too!). Recommendations: Steel cut is better than rolled, but both are fine. McCanns is good, but we buy in bulk from a local organic market. $1.69 / lb for steel cut and a little less for for rolled.

For steel cut we usually do chocolate banana oatmeal with 2 cups dry, simmered 26 minutes. Makes a pot that lasts us ~three days.

For rolled (when we haven't had time to cook the big pot), microwave 1/2 cup oats : 1/2 cup milk for about 1minute 19 seconds. Then stir in spices, sweetener. I don't wait around for it to stand 10 minutes but that would probably improve it. Individual servings.
dogagility

Post by dogagility »

Retired1809 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:01 pm I grew up with Quaker Original Old Fashion Oatmeal and although I've experimented with steel-cut oatmeal, I never inhaled (meaning that I just never found them to be worth the extra bother).

Every morning, I prepare said Quaker Original Old Fashion Oatmeal (not the Quick Cook version) in a microwave at 50% power for six minutes, then add toasted walnuts, a large handful of blueberries, ground flaxseed and a recent addition of a tablespoon of good Extra Virgin Olive Oil. This is all happening while I'm brewing my coffee and stirring my Metamucil. I've found that the generic store brands of oat meal just don't measure up to the quality, texture and taste of Quaker Oats (the real deal). And I also believe that the Quaker Oatmeal that I have been buying at Costco is superior to the Quaker Oatmeal sold in other stores. (Quaker produces a special package for Costco containing two giant bags of oatmeal, with the total contents equal to around three large boxes sold at other grocery stores.)
I too buy this oatmeal from Costco and have been for the last four years. I'm a person of morning routine and simply add some milk to the oatmeal, microwave for a few minutes, and eat. Great stuff and maybe 20 cents total for breakfast.
:beer
All children spill milk. Learn to smile and wipe it up. -- A Farmer's Wife
Gabelli2020

Post by Gabelli2020 »

Coach’s Oats- Costco. Whole milk, dash of salt. Boil, then 5 minutes stove top. Add blueberries and teaspoon of honey. You will live to be 100!
minesweep

Post by minesweep »

I make steel cuts oatmeal in my Sanyo rice cooker (on porridge setting). Takes about an hour or so to cook (make it the night before). Goes to warm setting when done. I refrigerate the leftover portions and use microwave to reheat. 1 cup of steel cut oats, 1 3/4 cups of whole milk and 3/4 cups of filtered water. For me it's enough for 6 portions (sweeten it with raw honey). Before I have the oatmeal I eat a 2 egg cheese omelet and one and a half dark toasts. Eat this breakfast combo every other day.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

alex_686 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:24 pm I don't know if there is, or can be, a big difference between different brands of steel cut oats. I mean, we are talking about unprocessed oats. So I would ignore anything that says "quick" or "flakes". These have been processed, even if the process is minimal.

I personally would advoke cooking them in a pressure cooker, like Instant Pot. Done perfectly in 15 minutes with no oversight.
I just bought an Instant Pot and am trying to figure out what it's as great for as people seem to say.
Anything cooked in the Instant Pot takes a 10 min (estimate) period of warming up, building pressure.
So, given that one usually eats oatmeal in the AM just after waking, and often quite hungry, why spend a half hour making steel cut oatmeal in an Instant Pot rather than 6 minutes making quick steel cut oatmeal in the microwave in the bowl in which you will eat it , with no complexity at all and nothing to clean except your bowl?
And is it really just as good if you make it the night before?
If so do you then microwave it before eating?

Also, is there really a difference between brands of steel cut oatmeal (or quick vs. regular)? What would explain it if so? As another member stated above, the only ingredient is steel-cut oats.

My approach:
1/4 cup quick steel cut oatmeal, 3/4 cup any combo of boiling water, oat milk and/or apple cider, one cut banana, raisins, five spice powder or cinnamon, real maple syrup to taste
Microwave 3 minutes
Stir
Microwave about 2.5 more minutes
Add berries and nuts and stir
Microwave another 20 seconds
Serve

What am I missing?

*naive but learning....*
Last edited by protagonist on Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:32 am, edited 5 times in total.
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

We get Bob's Red Mill from Costco. A big bag will last 3 months.

I prefer steel cut oats because it has a nuttier chew and mouth feel and holds up better with syrup, fruits, and nuts.

Overnight jar soak is a good trick but usually I just simmer them in the morning while enjoying my first cup of coffee.
mancich

Post by mancich »

I like Quaker Old Fashioned Oats the best. Reasonably priced and great quality. Plus I work for the company :D
alex_686

Post by alex_686 »

protagonist wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:46 pm Also, is there really a difference between brands of steel cut oatmeal (or quick vs. regular)? What would explain it if so? As another member stated above, the only ingredient is steel-cut oats.
Not a nutritionist, so I would recommend following up for some qualified opinions, but it comes down to the sugars.

Steel cuts oats is a whole grain. Sugars are absorbed slower so you glucose levels raise slower. Any processing will break down those complex carbohydrates into simpler sugars, resulting in a spike in glucose levels. Now, all things are relative. Generally not as bad as eating a bowl of sugar bomb cereal.

I don't find time to be a issue. I get up. Start the pressure cooker, start the pot of coffee, take a shower, and get dressed. When I come back to the kitchen the oatmeal is ready.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

alex_686 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:40 am
protagonist wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:46 pm Also, is there really a difference between brands of steel cut oatmeal (or quick vs. regular)? What would explain it if so? As another member stated above, the only ingredient is steel-cut oats.
Not a nutritionist, so I would recommend following up for some qualified opinions, but it comes down to the sugars.

Steel cuts oats is a whole grain. Sugars are absorbed slower so you glucose levels raise slower. Any processing will break down those complex carbohydrates into simpler sugars, resulting in a spike in glucose levels. Now, all things are relative. Generally not as bad as eating a bowl of sugar bomb cereal.

I don't find time to be a issue. I get up. Start the pressure cooker, start the pot of coffee, take a shower, and get dressed. When I come back to the kitchen the oatmeal is ready.
Groats are around 50, rolled oats around 55, and instant oatmeal is like 80 on the glycemic index. From a glycemic control standpoint it's not going to really make a significant difference what form you eat unless it is a very large amount. Where you get in trouble is with oatmeal that has added sugar or adding sugar yourself. IMO, the more processed, the worse the taste. Groats are delicious.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Here is a partial, and very significant, answer to your question, from above:
stimulacra wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:46 pm
I prefer steel cut oats because it has a nuttier chew and mouth feel and holds up better with syrup, fruits, and nuts.
It's the "eating quality", along with the taste.
The little "grains" (that were "cut" but not squished into nothing-of-note) that really add to the taste and chewing experience.
In comparison, from quick cooking oatmeal to instant oatmeal, just think of those as different degrees of... pre-digested steel cut oatmeal.

Or think of the difference between a nice rib-eye steak and ground beef.
(That's not really a fair analogy, because good ground beef IS worth eating, and we'd choose it specifically sometimes, even though overall, the steak is better. But neither of us would ever specifically request any version of the more-processed oatmeal if steel cut oatmeal were available. Indeed, if only the processed version of oatmeal were available, we'd order something entirely different.)

You might want to try it to decide what *you* prefer.
Obviously, from above, there are different preferences, as usual :happy

RM
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

I have found with Oatmeal (any version ; I like steel-cut) can be made quickly (virtually instantly) just by plopping the oatmeal and some water in plastic or glass microwave-safe pot with a cover and cooking it on high for 2 or 3 minutes (depending on how powerful your microwave oven is).

One cheap one I like is Better Oats Original [maybe with flax seeds -- very healthy] at Amazon and Target. McCann's is good too, but pricey.

https://www.amazon.com/Better-Oats-Stee ... 3721&psc=1

I just experimented with the amounts of oatmeal and water and the cooking times (try one minute, look at it /stir it / taste it) and keep trying another 30 seconds until you like it.

Use less water than it says in the instructions at first, and add little during your experiment.

I like it thick so I can add some milk (I like soymilk myself), and then some good maple syrup or honey, and I like cinnamon too. I also really like some raisins that I just cook along with the oatmeal so they get plump. And even some walnuts (just before you eat it) are nice.

But don't get too hung up on proportions or cooking instructions, just play with things until you like it and then keep doing this.

And again, don't worry if it says quick-cooking or instant or regular long-cooking, just get good stuff like steel-cut (which is usually higher quality) and ignore all the complicated instructions and microwave until you like the result. It takes no time at all.

And the main thing is that you need to make it as you like it. Some people like like it soupy and gloppy, and others like it thick and pasty, so experiment until it works for you.

I would also avoid any pre-sweetened stuff, because it is usually over-sweetened and too cloying. Sweeten it to your own taste.
Strummer

Post by Strummer »

protagonist wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:46 pm I just bought an Instant Pot and am trying to figure out what it's as great for as people seem to say.
I suspect there are Instant Pot threads here on the board so you might try searching for those. We don't use ours for oatmeal, but I can recommend this cookbook from Christopher Kimball/Milk Street if you're looking for delicious, well-tested Instant Pot recipes.