Warm coat recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dbr

Re: Warm coat recommendations

Post by dbr »

WS1 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:57 pm
Funny coincidence, it was while living in NYC that I realized no coat would every keep me comfy while standing around waiting for the bus or train if my legs are covered in normal pants. This began my quest for a long windproof coat.
I would add my suggestion that adding wind pants over trousers might help more, or long underwear/tights under the trousers. Wind pants can be removed indoors. At the same time a jacket should be tight around the waste or hips with a drawstring to prevent air coming up inside. A long coat always allows lots of cold air up the inside. An alternative is snowmobile or outdoor construction overalls that are a one piece garment from head to toe, but keep the cold air out and don't have to be tight at the waist.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=sn ... BasicHover

In fact the more I think about it, a person who gets cold and especially cold legs dog walking might be best off in a snowmobile suit. So this is really an adult version of putting kids in snow suits, and kids relish playing in snow and ice almost forever it seems.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ch ... BasicHover

I was visiting a friend once on a long trip and we planned to do some mountain hiking in the winter but didn't have all the usual outdoor gear along. So he just said put on two pair of pants. It was a bit awkward but worked very well.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FB ... =1&fpw=alm

I got this one. It's 100% feathers.
palaheel

Post by palaheel »

Don't forget a warm hat and ear covering. And maybe a scarf as well.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

I stand out in the cold for 3-4 hours a day....sometimes in the rain or snow...staying warm is simple...multiple layers, wind pants, warm wool socks, decent hat and gloves. DONT get wet and cold..., its hard to recover...always over dress, you can take off a layer or two. I know its crazy but I wear a lot of hoodies. I always finish with a down parka ( depending on our sponsor brand ). I LOVE LLBean gear, its always been solid and if you have an issue they will break their necks trying to take care of you and keep you happy. When I travel to game I bring literally 4 or five different outfits depending on the day....
Harri88

Post by Harri88 »

+1 on LLBean Down coats. I have one that I purchased a few years ago and it has been great. I think LLbean makes really good clothing, as we have had good luck with the brand. The coat was in their 'warmest' range, and I think it has an 850 fill. I'd also recommend, as other have stated a good base layer for your legs, and some good heavy socks. I am a wigwam guy for my winter socks.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

knowledge wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:40 pm I didn't want to be the millionth person with a Canada Goose jacket, so ended up finding a lightly used Arcteryx parka that was 40% off vs. new. It's lightweight, looks great, very warm and knee length.
Canada Goose has some top quality products. I just can't bring myself to pay $1000+ for a coat, whether made by them or anyone else. Unlike most brands, they're never on sale.
Harri88

Post by Harri88 »

oldfort wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:20 pm
knowledge wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:40 pm I didn't want to be the millionth person with a Canada Goose jacket, so ended up finding a lightly used Arcteryx parka that was 40% off vs. new. It's lightweight, looks great, very warm and knee length.
Canada Goose has some top quality products. I just can't bring myself to pay $1000+ for a coat, whether made by them or anyone else. Unlike most brands, they're never on sale.
I was going to suggest them, but they are pricey. I think I paid 200 for my llbean down, and Canada goose is 5x that.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Calico wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:21 pm I am so cold when I walk my dog that I can't stand it. I wear layers and it helps, but not enough. All I have for a coat is a lined jacket that I usually drive in (it's okay for driving) and I think I just need a better outer coat.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a high quality, warm coat brand? I am willing to spend money for quality.

I need something to to wear when I walk my dog (this has replaced the gym this past year). I want something at least knee length or close to it. Warm enough for to walk in about 20-30 degrees for an hour. In fact, maybe make that 10-20 degrees because even though it rarely gets that cold here, I have a very hard time staying warm compared to other people and I am always colder than just about everyone else. Slightly waterproof might be nice too.

I have one recommendation for LL Bean coats and they seem nice. I wonder if they are worth the price though. Thanks!
Consider the Feathered Friends Helios Down Jacket. https://featheredfriends.com/collection ... own-jacket
Even Warmer: https://featheredfriends.com/collection ... own-jacket
They make matching (full zip) pants. https://featheredfriends.com/collection ... down-pants

The above should do the job even for worse conditions than you described. You'll likely have to unzip. It's quality stuff.

EDIT: Consider calling Feathered Friends and discussing your situation. They have a knowledgeable staff.
Last edited by hudson on Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blastoff

Post by blastoff »

Agree to not ignore the legs.
Same for warm socks and hat and gloves.

Probably don't want a lightweight 900 fill down coat for mountaineering.
Get the semi bulky high quality one that had a lot of down, but isn't made to weigh less than a pound.

Also, starting cold is always trouble. Throw on the coat for 5min inside before you leave and build up a little heat first?
Geronkas

Post by Geronkas »

I have a Filson Mackinaw wool jacket that keeps me warm. It has an abundance of pockets which I find very convenient.
ErRyTour

Post by ErRyTour »

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to suggest the "nuclear option" (Mountain Hardware Absolute Zero). :D

Now that it has been placed on the table, I feel that it is necessary to suggest that you don't forget to keep your feet warm.

The Baffin Apex would pair nicely with the Absolute Zero.
JS-Elcano

Post by JS-Elcano »

Calico wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:21 pm I am so cold when I walk my dog that I can't stand it. I wear layers and it helps, but not enough. All I have for a coat is a lined jacket that I usually drive in (it's okay for driving) and I think I just need a better outer coat.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a high quality, warm coat brand? I am willing to spend money for quality.

I need something to to wear when I walk my dog (this has replaced the gym this past year). I want something at least knee length or close to it. Warm enough for to walk in about 20-30 degrees for an hour. In fact, maybe make that 10-20 degrees because even though it rarely gets that cold here, I have a very hard time staying warm compared to other people and I am always colder than just about everyone else. Slightly waterproof might be nice too.

I have one recommendation for LL Bean coats and they seem nice. I wonder if they are worth the price though. Thanks!
I recently bought a Patagonia Jackson Glacier Jacket (https://www.backcountry.com/patagonia-j ... t-mens?s=a) that is fantastically warm yet feels more like a jacket than a big heavy winter coat.
inverter

Post by inverter »

I'll say it -- Canada Goose. :)
JPM

Post by JPM »

For a woman nothing beats a full length mink for warmth, preferably one with a hood that fits over a warm hat.

For a man, a knee length lined leather works but very hard to find new. Wearing ankle to knee compression stockings under pants will keep legs warm below the coat hem.,

Used furs and leather coats in good condition are often available at unbelievably good pricing at Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Surprised nobody went here

hudson

Post by hudson »

blastoff wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:16 pm Agree to not ignore the legs.
Same for warm socks and hat and gloves.

Probably don't want a lightweight 900 fill down coat for mountaineering.
Get the semi bulky high quality one that had a lot of down, but isn't made to weigh less than a pound.

Also, starting cold is always trouble. Throw on the coat for 5min inside before you leave and build up a little heat first?
I agree
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

This: Arcteryx Patera
https://arcteryx.com/us/en/shop/womens ... parka-(us)

Warmest longer coat in their lineup. Great value for the money, can find on sale for much less if you search ($300 for us). Goretex, waterproof, windproof, hood, and down insulation. Doesn’t get to the knees if you are really tall though.

Protected DW through many a -20 storm, and walked our dog hundreds of miles in the winter with this thing. Looks fantastic, and not like the Michelin woman.

But you need to layer properly, which means excellent baselayers, preferably merino. And buy some Gore windstopper soft shell pants.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

bloom2708 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:23 pm Columbia Omni-Heat.

I like mine with a hood. Super light weight. Warm. Just amazing products. Not very expensive either.

If super cold I put another jacket inside.

https://www.columbia.com/p/mens-voodoo- ... 820&pos=21
For a dog walker I would second this suggestion. Those Columbia Omni-heats work by reflecting in the body heat back in towards the body. The down side is they can get very HOT if you are active in them. But light walking and keeping out the wind they are very good. My son has one for college walking to classes,etc. and it is perfect for that situation as well.

I believe most Omni-heat styles are water-resistant (GoreTex-like) as well.

They also work well with layers since the outer shell is pretty thin and you can bulk up inside without too much constriction.
sully45

Post by sully45 »

I am a big proponent of layering hand garments as well. Specifically: cheap thin gloves underneath woolen mittens. I've always found even thick gloves to be insufficient in cold weather, and hands can freeze so quickly if things go bad. Mittens+gloves are warm, but allow you to remove the mittens long enough for a fine task and put them back on.
ItzaHoot

Post by ItzaHoot »

I personally love my Columbia 'interchange' system. Stormtech (weather resistant) insulated shell plus a zip out insulated liner. If it's really cold, like a blizzard while I was in Montreal a few years ago, I start with an insulated vest, then add the Columbia liner and shell. Add merino wool boot socks, waterproof lace up boots, a shemagh for the head and face, and a good pair of ski gloves. If that doesn't work for you, add an Australian drovers coat (duster). That will cut the wind from neck at least mid calf.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

RJC wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:35 pm A thick baselayer is what made the biggest difference for me. I highly recommend Under Armour UA Base 4.0. Winter is more tolerable now.
+1. I find a good base layer keeps me so much warmer than a heavy outer layer - or almost any number of layers that doesn't include a good base. The first time I put on a UA Base shirt (I now have 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0 now depending upon how cold it is - all similar just different thicknesses) I was absolutely amazed. It felt like some miracle invention - it almost felt heated to me - nicely reflected my body heat back in while allowing some air circulation so I didn't sweat. They are somewhat expensive but last a long time.
Of course if you are going in and out quickly throughout the day it doesn't make sense to change down to your undergarments - but if I am taking an hour walk in the winter - I now don't do it without my UA Base.
cashheavy18

Post by cashheavy18 »

I have a 700 down fill Marmot coat. It looks like I'm wearing a sleeping bag, but boy does it keep me warm!
Topic Author
Calico

Post by Calico »

First, I want to thank everyone for helping out in this thread. I wish I could thank you all personally, but that would be a lot of quotes and make the thread really long. :happy
mak1277 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:47 pm

Are you looking for just a warm coat or are you looking for something stylish and dressier as well? You mention wanting something knee length, which (if you're a man) is going to be harder to find in an LL Bean down puffer type coat. If you're a woman, you're probably in luck for something like that, though.

For a man's knee length coat are you looking for something in wool, like an overcoat?
I should have mentioned this at the start... I am a woman and looking for a woman's coat. thanks!
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Any Columbia coat I have ever owned (with a removable fleece liner) has been extremely warm.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
Calico

Post by Calico »

whodidntante wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:52 pm A high quality wool coat or down coat is good unless Fido never evacuates when it rains or snows. Those fabrics remain warm even when damp or wet.

However, cold exposure within reason can be healthful. Recent research has show it has health benefits, as does heat exposure as in a sauna. This does not properly explain why people in Finland continue to die, however. :happy I purposely under dress slightly when I hike or go walking in winter, and I sleep in a cold bedroom when possible. You should obviously avoid frostbite, hypothermia, and cold related injuries in any form.
Me being cold is a no-go. I didn't mention it at the start, but I have something called Raynaud's. It's is a rare medical condition that causes blood vessels to narrow when I am cold. When this happens, my hands and feet go numb and turn blue. Basically, no circulation to the hands and feet. This even happens to me even in the summer (stores tend to really jack up the AC in the summer) but winter is much worse. It puts me at a greater risk of frostbite and tissue damage and it's really uncomfortable. The doctor told me my only option is to keep warm since most of the drugs they use to treat it would lower my blood pressure and my blood pressure is already on the low end of normal. She joked I would probably pass out if I stood up. Who knew not having a little hypertension would be a bad thing, haha.
SteadyOne

Post by SteadyOne »

cashheavy18 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:51 pm I have a 700 down fill Marmot coat. It looks like I'm wearing a sleeping bag, but boy does it keep me warm!
Marmot is a great brand. Very light too.
“Every de­duc­tion is al­lowed as a mat­ter of leg­isla­tive grace.” US Federal Court
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

L.L. Bean Nor'easter commuter coat. Best thing I have bought in decades. Made made many hour-late waits on the train platform bearable in January.

I see it is sold out right now.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/56530?p ... nee-length
Topic Author
Calico

Post by Calico »

One more big thanks to everyone! I've got a few ideas and I am going to check them out. I should have mentioned I am a woman in the original post, but I might just buy a men's coat. Why not. I'll just get a small.

A few items to note:
- I do layer. I recently bought long underware although it hasn't arrived yet. Mainly I've been wearing a jacket over a sweater or sweatshirt over a long sleeved tee shirt. It's kind of tight though and I still get cold. Hence the idea I might need a coat upgrade.
- I also always wear a hat and gloves. Actually, my hands still get cold. I even have battery powered, heated gloves but the battery packs are so big I can't fit them inside a coat sleeve and they are too tight to fit over a coat sleeve. I saw these gloves that look like they pair up your fingers so they are like mittens with two big fingers and a thumb. I might buy those. I could have started a whole different thread on gloves.
- My feet actually stay warm. I wear slipper socks inside oversized sneakers.
- I walk the dog for about an hour once a day and go a little over 3 miles (we have to stop and "smell the news" and "share the news" or else the time would be better). On weekends we go for a longer 5+ mile walk to the lake that takes under two hours. I don't take her for short walks, she just goes in the backyard for that sort of thing. The walks are for exercise for me and her.
Topic Author
Calico

Post by Calico »

abuss368 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:25 pm

Any Columbia coat I have ever owned (with a removable fleece liner) has been extremely warm.
I like the idea of a removable liner so I can adjust it for the weather.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Calico wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:48 pm
abuss368 wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:25 pm

I like the idea of a removable liner so I can adjust it for the weather.
That is what I prefer as well. I wear the Columbia fleece most of the year. I think the total cost was $50 - $60 at Kohl’s after winter.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
psy1

Post by psy1 »

Layer with a base layer of merino wool. A mid-layer is needed. An outer layer of down, but not all down is equal. 850-900 fill goose down is the best and you will pay for it. The shell should be water/windproof like Gore-Tex or similar. A fleece balaclava under the down hood is bulletproof. If it is super windy or snowy then ski goggles help a lot. If your legs get cold, use merino wool long underwear and Gore-tex pants.
oldzey

Post by oldzey »

Bought one of these over 20 years ago:
https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/65767?p ... h-gore-tex

I've lived in it every winter here in the Midwest - best coat I've ever owned.

P.S. If you throw on one of these underneath, you'll actually be too warm:
https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/60845?p ... n-crewneck
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman
2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy »

Not really adding much to thread but having lived in Northern Midwestern climates (different ones all over world) a “ski jacket” with a waterproof breathable shell and down insulation. Is the key.

You’ll probably be so warm you’ll unzip it part way.

Layers too.

Eddie Bauer and lol bean are inexpensive options but you should expect to pay around $400 or more for one. They last for years and years unless you’re doing strenuous things outside (hiking, work, etc).

Canada goose is supposedly the warmest brand and independent testers seem to agree. But why’re thousands of dollars and not that much. Warmer than others.

Doesn’t stop the “look at me” crowd from wearing them.
You can do anything you want in life. The rub is that there are consequences.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

Sic Vis Pacem wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:50 pm Second the suggestions to consider layering. In that type of cold I'll typically wear a long-sleeve baselayer, short/long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, then the coat. Much easier to adjust a layer if the temp shifts or you decide on a more strenuous walk. Wool is your friend (and if you haven't purchased wool clothing in a while, it's not necessarily the bulky material of yester-year.)

That said, you're looking for coat recommendations. Patagonia and Arc'Teryx are my go-tos for winter outer layers. Both are a little pricy, but excellent quality and I find they are very warm while being less bulky then some other brands.
While I own a lot of Patagonia and Arc’teryx too, I’ve found over the last couple of years that Outdoor Research is a much better value when comparing products designed for identical use. Furthermore, if you’re patient it can be found steeply discounted if you subscribe to their emails and watch Amazon. Ex: In March I received a “flash sale” email and my wife and I each bought $250 jackets that were $50, directly from OR. We took a month long hiking/camping trip in October and we both wore it daily, w/o issue. My wife was raving about it by the end.

All OR comes with an “infinite guarantee” which is equal to Patagonia’s “ironclad guarantee” in the sense it’s no questions asked. No affiliation, I just feel there’s big value there for folks who want extreme performance at not extreme prices (I’m looking at you Arc’teryx!)
3 Fund Portfolio. 70%/30% AA. No mortgage. Simple.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

hunoraut wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:40 pm A brand name alone doesn’t mean much.

Go to an outdoor store like REI/MEC that stocks lots of technical clothing. Look for down-filled parkas. Typically they might even have temperature ratings associated with the garments.

Important features are cinches for the coat and hood to trap air; tall and tight neck closure; and some sleeve feature like recessed cuff so you get some protection even beyond the wrist.

When the dog needs a walk at midnight, I can just throw that on and it’ll keep me warm.
100% agree - Go to the right type of store - something like REI or other high quality specialist for mountaineering/camping store/outdoor sports and they will lots of warm, functional, and durable clothing and shoes/boots. High quality outdoor gear is almost always more expensive initially, but WAY more value in the long run. Great boots are important if your feet are cold you will never feel warm.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

whodidntante wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:52 pm A high quality wool coat or down coat is good unless Fido never evacuates when it rains or snows. Those fabrics remain warm even when damp or wet.

However, cold exposure within reason can be healthful. Recent research has show it has health benefits, as does heat exposure as in a sauna. This does not properly explain why people in Finland continue to die, however. :happy I purposely under dress slightly when I hike or go walking in winter, and I sleep in a cold bedroom when possible. You should obviously avoid frostbite, hypothermia, and cold related injuries in any form.
I had forgotten this was about dog walking, and read the first sentence 10 times. Does OP work at Fidelity? Are they worried about fire alarms? What the what?

I agree about sleeping in a cold bedroom and appreciate my wife sharing that preference. The only drag is that heat goes up, so our bedroom is warmer than I like. Okay, so we open windows, but then the blackout curtains flap in the breeze letting in light and making noise and even though our geothermal is very efficient, it seems wasteful to let heated air escape. Lordy, this might be the dictionary definition of first world problem 😁
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

dbr wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:25 pm
WS1 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:57 pm
Funny coincidence, it was while living in NYC that I realized no coat would every keep me comfy while standing around waiting for the bus or train if my legs are covered in normal pants. This began my quest for a long windproof coat.
I would add my suggestion that adding wind pants over trousers might help more, or long underwear/tights under the trousers. Wind pants can be removed indoors. At the same time a jacket should be tight around the waste or hips with a drawstring to prevent air coming up inside. A long coat always allows lots of cold air up the inside. An alternative is snowmobile or outdoor construction overalls that are a one piece garment from head to toe, but keep the cold air out and don't have to be tight at the waist.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=sn ... BasicHover

In fact the more I think about it, a person who gets cold and especially cold legs dog walking might be best off in a snowmobile suit. So this is really an adult version of putting kids in snow suits, and kids relish playing in snow and ice almost forever it seems.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ch ... BasicHover

I was visiting a friend once on a long trip and we planned to do some mountain hiking in the winter but didn't have all the usual outdoor gear along. So he just said put on two pair of pants. It was a bit awkward but worked very well.
+1
Wind pants with zipper leg lowers and elastic waist can be worn over and outfit and removed easily. We use them for ATV riding in winter.

That “layers” thing for keeping warm.
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sic Vis Pacem

Post by Sic Vis Pacem »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:46 am
While I own a lot of Patagonia and Arc’teryx too, I’ve found over the last couple of years that Outdoor Research is a much better value when comparing products designed for identical use. Furthermore, if you’re patient it can be found steeply discounted if you subscribe to their emails and watch Amazon. Ex: In March I received a “flash sale” email and my wife and I each bought $250 jackets that were $50, directly from OR. We took a month long hiking/camping trip in October and we both wore it daily, w/o issue. My wife was raving about it by the end.

All OR comes with an “infinite guarantee” which is equal to Patagonia’s “ironclad guarantee” in the sense it’s no questions asked. No affiliation, I just feel there’s big value there for folks who want extreme performance at not extreme prices (I’m looking at you Arc’teryx!)
Good call. Outdoor Research gear is great. I usually find it on my spin through the REI clearance sales, but now I'm heading over to their site to get the direct emails!
thecarrotfund

Post by thecarrotfund »

I don't do cold well, I'm a woman, and I have STUDIED this topic. I've wondered about Reynaud's as a reason for my adversity to cold but I've never been diagnosed. However, if my feet get cold I'm done for. And my fingernails turn blue easily. I wear this get up nearly every day in winter and just adjust the layers to expected temps. But I ALWAYS start out with more than I think I will need. As I mentioned, if I get chilled, I'm done for.
    Base layer. I like the Costco 32 Degrees if I'm going to be active outdoors. Tops and bottoms. I've also got some Columbia on right now.
      Smart wool socks.
        Cami Mia Fleece Hiking pants.
          UA 3/4 Zip stand up collar base layer top. This is a waffle kind of base layer that I put on OVER the thinner 32 degree heat.
            Polartec zip up vest.
              Polartec balaclava and matching beanie.
                Sorel Pac boots.
                  LL Bean down jacket with hood and lots of zip pockets to store gloves, vest, beanie, etc.
                    Under Armour? thin glove liners. I would have to check the brand.
                      Thinsulate lined leather work gloves.
                      I can add or subtract during my walk and I'm not roasting when I come indoors.
                      And if it looks like it may get wet I have a hooded poncho that zips into it's own small bag.
                      Edit to add: I'm in Arizona but have horses and dogs and need to be outside Early in the cold weather. This morning it was 37 degrees but the animals still need to be taken care of.
                      "not all storms are in the forecast"
                      abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

Calico wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:21 pm
                      I still use a LL Bean Game Warden Parka that I bought in 1992 and it is excellent. Like walking around under a comforter.
                      Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

thecarrotfund wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:15 am I don't do cold well, I'm a woman, and I have STUDIED this topic. I've wondered about Reynaud's as a reason for my adversity to cold but I've never been diagnosed. However, if my feet get cold I'm done for. And my fingernails turn blue easily. I wear this get up nearly every day in winter and just adjust the layers to expected temps. But I ALWAYS start out with more than I think I will need. As I mentioned, if I get chilled, I'm done for.
                        Base layer. I like the Costco 32 Degrees if I'm going to be active outdoors. Tops and bottoms. I've also got some Columbia on right now.
                          Smart wool socks.
                            Cami Mia Fleece Hiking pants.
                              UA 3/4 Zip stand up collar base layer top. This is a waffle kind of base layer that I put on OVER the thinner 32 degree heat.
                                Polartec zip up vest.
                                  Polartec balaclava and matching beanie.
                                    Sorel Pac boots.
                                      LL Bean down jacket with hood and lots of zip pockets to store gloves, vest, beanie, etc.
                                        Under Armour? thin glove liners. I would have to check the brand.
                                          Thinsulate lined leather work gloves.
                                          I can add or subtract during my walk and I'm not roasting when I come indoors.
                                          And if it looks like it may get wet I have a hooded poncho that zips into it's own small bag.
                                          Edit to add: I'm in Arizona but have horses and dogs and need to be outside Early in the cold weather. This morning it was 37 degrees but the animals still need to be taken care of.
                                          Northern Arizona
                                          Also horses, warmbloods. 20 degrees this morning! Light snow.

DW uses:
                                          Layers
                                          Polartec
                                          Lined overalls
                                          Beanie
                                          Warm full head balaclava of various types
                                          the works!

Per topic:
                                          Warm coat recommendations: depending on "how cold", for super cold (below 20): insulated lined pants, polartec jacket, synthetic down long parka over that, neck fuzzy, lined balaclava hat combo, goggles, gloves, lined boots.

j :D
                                          Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
                                          ad2007

Post by ad2007 »

I was issued an N-3B parka when stationed in cold country, everything was covered in snow from Thanksgiving to Easter. Loved that thing, but they took it back when I PCS to warmer climate. Saw it Amazon. Worth a try.

Make sure you have good socks and boots.
                                          backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

Another vote for layers.

Begin with long underwear; polypropylene or silk.
                                          Then a breathable and/or synthetic shirt of some sort. I got a good workout shirt (Russell Athletic) from a thrift store.
                                          A mid layer - a wool sweater or fleece jacket
                                          A shell layer - a Parka or Anorak
                                          A watch cap (beanie) for your head - they have good basic ones at Walmart

Look in the clothing section for hunters.

For decent quality at relatively affordable prices, I'd look at Columbia or perhaps the selection at REI for parkas and anoraks.

Watch for sales, or look at closeout deals in REI Outlet
                                          “Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
                                          J45

Post by J45 »

Not sure where do you live but speaking for Canadian winter like weather...try getting 2-in-1 jackets from North Face. They are really great for harsh winter weather. Outer shell is somewhat water/wind proof and inner one keeps you warm. I have been using it for last 5 years and no complaints. Money well spent

My winters start below 30s and reach 10s.