Warm coat recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Calico

Warm coat recommendations

Post by Calico »

I am so cold when I walk my dog that I can't stand it. I wear layers and it helps, but not enough. All I have for a coat is a lined jacket that I usually drive in (it's okay for driving) and I think I just need a better outer coat.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a high quality, warm coat brand? I am willing to spend money for quality.

I need something to to wear when I walk my dog (this has replaced the gym this past year). I want something at least knee length or close to it. Warm enough for to walk in about 20-30 degrees for an hour. In fact, maybe make that 10-20 degrees because even though it rarely gets that cold here, I have a very hard time staying warm compared to other people and I am always colder than just about everyone else. Slightly waterproof might be nice too.

I have one recommendation for LL Bean coats and they seem nice. I wonder if they are worth the price though. Thanks!
oldfort

Re: Warm coat recommendations

Post by oldfort »

Anything with down insulation for warmth and a Goretex shell if you need something waterproof.
Last edited by oldfort on Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C4NT

Post by C4NT »

I second the LL Bean recommendation. I lived in the Midwest for a while and had some brutal winters. Lots of mornings in the negative temps. I had a three in one parka with gortex that was incredibly warm. I could take out a layer and wear it on the slightly warmer days too.
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

Make sure you wear warm pants also. My experience is most people ignore that and that results in you always feeling cold. I wear some wool pants with wool liners and merino wool under thermals.
RJC

Post by RJC »

A thick baselayer is what made the biggest difference for me. I highly recommend Under Armour UA Base 4.0. Winter is more tolerable now.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

RJC wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:35 pm A thick baselayer is what made the biggest difference for me. I highly recommend Under Armour UA Base 4.0. Winter is more tolerable now.
I agree; I use a variety depending on temp and wind. Silk down to upper 30s, wool below that. I have some UA T-shirts I wear under the wool. Socks and the right shoes make a difference as well. Most sneaker/walking shoes are not built to keep your feet warm.

On top I prefer layers I can unzip; fleece then a jacket except in the coldest weather. With base layers, the right shoes and socks, hat and my ultimate armor, the down coat I've weathered < 10 F with high winds on many a bird outing.

No cotton anywhere!
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
dbr

Post by dbr »

You can find excellent down coats from North Face, Columbia, LL Bean, REI, Eastern Mountain Sports, and several others. You might be surprised what can be found in second hand stores as well, if you live in or near a larger city. Fit does not need to be exact. Possibly a key is to look where sports and recreation wear rather than "dress" clothing is sold.

It is not even a debate that adequate winter clothing is worth the price. But you want to own serious stuff and not mess around. Good down coats are also very wind proof.

Also, you might consider adding wind pants for more warmth waist down. A good wool hat is another essential as keeping your head and ears warm is important. Another also is that I find light weight hiking boots with Goretex excellent for walking around in the winter. Others prefer heavier footwear such as used by hunters, etc. Also wool socks. For underclothing a polypro turtleneck undershirt and then fleece can add a lot. Polypro long johns under trousers help. In fact often a good combination for walking pants outdoors is tights/long johns and wind pants.

Hand covering is important. I find I prefer mittens to gloves as they are warmer and you can still usually handle things. I like cross country ski style mittens that are not too thick. One of my criteria in owning cars is vehicles with climate control systems you can operate while wearing mittens.

Survival hint: WIWCIC = wool is warm, cotton is cold.
CPA without a cause

Post by CPA without a cause »

I had the same problem as you. I ended up moving to Florida and I am not longer cold, ever.
Sic Vis Pacem

Post by Sic Vis Pacem »

Second the suggestions to consider layering. In that type of cold I'll typically wear a long-sleeve baselayer, short/long sleeve shirt, sweatshirt, then the coat. Much easier to adjust a layer if the temp shifts or you decide on a more strenuous walk. Wool is your friend (and if you haven't purchased wool clothing in a while, it's not necessarily the bulky material of yester-year.)

That said, you're looking for coat recommendations. Patagonia and Arc'Teryx are my go-tos for winter outer layers. Both are a little pricy, but excellent quality and I find they are very warm while being less bulky then some other brands.
snailderby

Post by snailderby »

I used to go outside regularly in subzero, or even -20 to -40F weather. Layers are a must. Sometimes I'd wear three layers of pants (thermals, jeans, snow pants). Good thermals/baselayers can make a big difference. Get a neck warmer or balaclava or something else to cover your neck, ears, and head. Wear multiple coats. If that still doesn't cut it, there are parkas by Eddie Bauer or Uniqlo in the $150 to $300 range that are pretty warm.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Layers definitely help. We often did Europe trips around Christmas and my GF lives in AZ. She got a heavy down jacket, wool/cashmere sweaters, turtlenecks, etc. Also having a warm wicking layer like Duofold as your base layer is good. Some prefer silk. Most ski shops would have good stuff. Many decades ago when I started skiing I made the mistake of using cotton thermal underwear and literally after skiing it got wet enough I could wring out parts of it. Once I switched to something like Duofold and a breathable outer layer like Gortex, I do longer had that issue.

If you are really cold you can buy those hand warmer packs that you shake up and provide heat for a while. Also mittens are better than gloves to keep the hands warm.

And definitely make sure you zip up and are warm prior to going outside. I see some people walk outside and they only zip up outside but by then a blast of wind hits them and takes away the warm air that would have been trapped under a zipped jacket.
Elena

Post by Elena »

I use an Arc'Teryx down jacket for the outer layer (the highest down count, but very light fabric), and a Smartwool or Icebreaker wool tshirt directly on my skin. In between, I vary between another wool layer or a fleece sweater, and I play around with layers. I also use a wool hat for dog walking. For running, I use a wool Buff tube on my head.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

A brand name alone doesn’t mean much.

Go to an outdoor store like REI/MEC that stocks lots of technical clothing. Look for down-filled parkas. Typically they might even have temperature ratings associated with the garments.

Important features are cinches for the coat and hood to trap air; tall and tight neck closure; and some sleeve feature like recessed cuff so you get some protection even beyond the wrist.

When the dog needs a walk at midnight, I can just throw that on and it’ll keep me warm.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Another recommendation for LL Bean. If you're patient, you can find deals on Ebay, some of it the super high quality vintage stuff that's been barely worn.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

Calico wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:21 pm I am so cold when I walk my dog that I can't stand it. I wear layers and it helps, but not enough. All I have for a coat is a lined jacket that I usually drive in (it's okay for driving) and I think I just need a better outer coat.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a high quality, warm coat brand? I am willing to spend money for quality.

I need something to to wear when I walk my dog (this has replaced the gym this past year). I want something at least knee length or close to it. Warm enough for to walk in about 20-30 degrees for an hour. In fact, maybe make that 10-20 degrees because even though it rarely gets that cold here, I have a very hard time staying warm compared to other people and I am always colder than just about everyone else. Slightly waterproof might be nice too.

I have one recommendation for LL Bean coats and they seem nice. I wonder if they are worth the price though. Thanks!
Are you looking for just a warm coat or are you looking for something stylish and dressier as well? You mention wanting something knee length, which (if you're a man) is going to be harder to find in an LL Bean down puffer type coat. If you're a woman, you're probably in luck for something like that, though.

For a man's knee length coat are you looking for something in wool, like an overcoat?
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

A high quality wool coat or down coat is good unless Fido never evacuates when it rains or snows. Those fabrics remain warm even when damp or wet.

However, cold exposure within reason can be healthful. Recent research has show it has health benefits, as does heat exposure as in a sauna. This does not properly explain why people in Finland continue to die, however. :happy I purposely under dress slightly when I hike or go walking in winter, and I sleep in a cold bedroom when possible. You should obviously avoid frostbite, hypothermia, and cold related injuries in any form.
Wings2525

Post by Wings2525 »

I'm a big proponent and user of Carhartt products. They are rugged and durable. I use them for ice fishing, snowmobiling and outdoor construction in winter. Carhartt has always served me well.
Say Ya to Da UP, eh?
khangaroo

Post by khangaroo »

I recently got a Fjall Raven down jacket and it has kept me so warm during the cold morning walks with the doggo. However, it doesn't get too cold here in Portland, OR during my walks - it's mostly high 30's to 50's. I don't layer though, I just put on a long sleeve shirt and my jacket and I'm more than warm so if I threw some layers on then I would probably be too hot. They're currently having a sale on them at REI so would be a good time to get one!

Post by 400401402 »

I live in New England.
Base layers help, especially under shirt/jacket.
But a good down jacket is still the best. I have tried several from north face to patagonia, but I personally like Arcteryx, which I highly recommend.

For me 3 layers - regular tee, down jacket(Arcteryx), goretex wind breaker shell does the trick even in 0-10 degrees. I like the fact that Arcteryx jackets have down filled hoodie that covers neck and head
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Columbia Omni-Heat.

I like mine with a hood. Super light weight. Warm. Just amazing products. Not very expensive either.

If super cold I put another jacket inside.

https://www.columbia.com/p/mens-voodoo- ... 820&pos=21
Last edited by bloom2708 on Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

My wife just got a down coat for $90 from an Eddie Bauer outlet and absolutely loves it. It's not too puffy and weighs almost nothing, but she says that it keeps her warmer than any other coat she's ever had except her heavy ski jacket.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
chenzi

Post by chenzi »

I have https://missionworkshop.com/collections ... /the-rhite
It is ultra light and ultrawarm.

"The shell of the Rhite is made from a refined ultralight 4-way-stretch textile laminated to a high-performance waterproof/windproof membrane made especially for Mission Workshop by Mectex M.I.S. in Italy. This fabric is the first in the new MECPOR 4.0™ series of ultra-breathable waterproof stretch fabrics by Mectex.

The Rhite is then fitted with the most advanced insulation on the planet: PrimaLoft® Gold Hi-Loft with Cross Core™. This new insulation by Primaloft contains Aerogel, the lightest insulating material on earth, often called "solid air." Aerogel is used by NASA as an insulator in many applications including its Mars Rover.

Finally, the coat is lined with 37.5® ultra-high-performance moisture management textile. 37.5 actively manages breathability and moisture levels inside the coat and prevents overheating due to increased activity or a rise in ambient temperature.The Rhite is designed to be layered with as little as a t-shirt or as much as a woven shirt and sweater for temperatures roughly ranging from 10°F (-12°C) to 50°F (10°C)."
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

If you want a warm coat it just needs to have lots of loft. The thicker the warmer. That's it. If you are walking the dog (as opposed to climbing Annapurna) it doesn't need to be down and it doesn't have to be expensive. If it is knee length then the cold air will just find its way in through the bottom. And layering is overrated if you have a constant level of exertion and aren't expecting a wide range of temperatures which is pretty much most everything unless you are actually exercising outside or are planning on being out all day as the temperature rises and falls. I have a 45 minute walk when I take the kids to school in the morning and just throw on a cheap but thick 30 dollar coat and a warm hat. Works fine. I have some high end gear too. But I just save that for when I actually need it in the mountains.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Ridgid and Milwaukee have electric jackets that plug into their batteries, you might try that.
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

Eddie Bauer, first ascent series. Lifetime warranty. I love them. Find an outlet store near you and sign up for their rewards program. Lot of great deals.
chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 »

Get something heated. There are many choices....

https://gobiheat.com/collections/womens/

I like the idea of something using aerogel, but I don't think the long-term durability of these products is established.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

Wings2525 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:07 pm I'm a big proponent and user of Carhartt products. They are rugged and durable. I use them for ice fishing, snowmobiling and outdoor construction in winter. Carhartt has always served me well.
2nd the Carhartt. Stylish in my neck of the woods but don't know about elsewhere.
fizxman

Post by fizxman »

Look at snowmobile jackets. Not only do they need to keep people warm at low temperatures but also with 50+ mph winds.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

RJC wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:35 pm A thick baselayer is what made the biggest difference for me. I highly recommend Under Armour UA Base 4.0. Winter is more tolerable now.
This, 1,000%. The best thing about a good base layer is that I can much fewer and thinner layers above it, and retain much more mobility.
deikel

Post by deikel »

Stating the obvious: humans loose a majority of their body warmth through their head - so make sure you have good coverage there - a thinsulate padded wool hat does it for me

And I would second the LLBean jacket - still have mine from 12 years ago and although its a bit tight these days (ah hum) it is warm.
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I’ve got a Columbia jacket that is supposedly good to -20 or something. I got it on sale at a sporting goods store for less than $100. The inside looks like shiny silver foil. That coat is so warm I honestly can’t stand to wear it, it makes me sweat, even when the temp is zero Fahrenheit.

Something like that might be good for you.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Wings2525 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:07 pm I'm a big proponent and user of Carhartt products. They are rugged and durable. I use them for ice fishing, snowmobiling and outdoor construction in winter. Carhartt has always served me well.
I agree about Carhartt.... It can a be a bit pricey but they are as tough as they come. They have super large pockets and you can put a lot of items in them ...
knowledge

Post by knowledge »

I figured this fall & winter would likely lead to more time spent outdoors and after seeing the run on patio heaters decided to buy a nice warm winter coat in the middle of August. I didn't want to be the millionth person with a Canada Goose jacket, so ended up finding a lightly used Arcteryx parka that was 40% off vs. new. It's lightweight, looks great, very warm and knee length. They have a used section right on their website.
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

I like my winter coat from Fjällräven. Not too techy or sporty, but not too dressy, either.

https://www.fjallraven.com/us/en-us
WS1

Post by WS1 »

It was hell finding a 3/4 length men’s coat other than a wool trench. I finally found a Helly Hansen parka that I liked and was reasonably priced. It’s not super, Everest level warmth. I’ll still need to vest or warm mid layer when it’s really cold, but I’ve found thigh coverage is THE MOST IMPORTANT element for me.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Wool base layer. Fleece mid layer. And down outer layer. If the down coat isn't water resistant, then a rain coat over the down if it's raining or snowing. Water and down don't mix.
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

My wife has a NF long down coat similar to this that she loves.

https://www.thenorthface.com/shop/women ... tionId=U52
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

Layers are your friend:

Any lightweight puffy winter coat of your choice - 1 size too large - combined with a Duluth Trading fleece jacket in your size underneath. No need to separate the two when you take them off - it acts like 1 coat. Duluth Trading fleece jackets are really warm & windproof for a decent price. Great inner layer.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Layering is a very good technique for a planned winter activity.

Less good for a spontaneous activity like a quick walk of the dog when you might already be dressed in "work" clothes, lounge clothes, etc, and have to redress entirely starting with thermal base layers and such.

A good coat/parka you can just toss on and head out the door.
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

Two other things I'll recommend:

* a Buff
* SmartWool base layer
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

Long underwear are cheaper.
Pale Blue Dot
nimo956

Post by nimo956 »

I found that many winter coats either end at the waist or above the knee, which is useless for protecting against the wind. I ended up having a full length wool coat made for me by this company:

https://www.alandavid.com/

It definitely wasn’t cheap, I think around $1800 or so, but it’s incredibly warm and I expect it to last a lifetime.
50% VTI / 50% VXUS
sully45

Post by sully45 »

DavidW wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:38 pm
I agree about Carhartt.... It can a be a bit pricey but they are as tough as they come. They have super large pockets and you can put a lot of items in them ...
I've had great luck with the factory seconds at supercasuals. For something extra warm get their 'sherpa lined' lineup. Should be able to get a nice warm jacket around 60-70 usd. I find I still like a base layer or long underwear for <0 F weather.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

If you want to do the nuclear option a down parka is the way to go. Far from cheap, but you will never be cold again:

https://www.backcountry.com/mountain-ha ... 3REALw_wcB

In fact, you might find yourself having to unzip to cool down if you are only in 20-30 degree weather .
WS1

Post by WS1 »

alfaspider wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:55 pm If you want to do the nuclear option a down parka is the way to go. Far from cheap, but you will never be cold again:

In fact, you might find yourself having to unzip to cool down if you are only in 20-30 degree weather .
Probably too short for real life because those are meant to be worn with insulated pants
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Sometimes there's not much difference between Walmart and high priced name brand.
Take a look. See what's on the racks.
Recent synthetic down vest: Walmart. $9
Recent synthetic down jacket: Walmart. $21 (use in my unheated shop), 19 degrees outside.
Lined cargo pants.

j :happy
Last edited by Sandtrap on Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

C4NT wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:25 pm I second the LL Bean recommendation. I lived in the Midwest for a while and had some brutal winters. Lots of mornings in the negative temps. I had a three in one parka with gortex that was incredibly warm. I could take out a layer and wear it on the slightly warmer days too.
i was born and bred in Minnesota.

Lands End is another good source. I have had their hooded jackets for over 20 years.

Just a note wool isa wonderful insulator. A wool sweater, wool socks and wool scarf add lots of warmth.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

WS1 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:13 pm
alfaspider wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:55 pm If you want to do the nuclear option a down parka is the way to go. Far from cheap, but you will never be cold again:

Probably too short for real life because those are meant to be worn with insulated pants
I actually own one (was on sale, I think I paid more like $400). It works fine with regular pants, though your legs will get cold well before the rest of your body. Bought it when I lived in NYC and was tired of being cold all the time. Only use it for skiing now.

Edit: here's a prior year model for ~$400 (depending on your size):

https://www.steepandcheap.com/mountain- ... aaEALw_wcB
Wilderness Librarian

Post by Wilderness Librarian »

Accessories can make a big difference and can be used to fine tune. Wool scarf, oversize boots for extra pair of sox, mittens and gloves of different sorts, oversize gloves & mittens used with silk glove liners, headband and hats of various kinds (thin wool, thick wool, earflaps,earmuffs). I used to live in Fairbanks Alaska and used all of the above in various combinations in conjunction with fairly regular jackets and parkas. In your temp range (given low humidity & no wind) you might try mid-weight wool jacket or not too expensive down, wool scarf, knitted wool hat, lined gloves, light weight wool sox ; maybe with thin silk sox liner (surprisingly I thought the silk sox liner over regular sox helped a lot). For what it is worth I really liked walking in Fairbanks in teen F degrees - in fact I miss that aspect - and what I just described would be overkill for me - so maybe that is your starting point.
WS1

Post by WS1 »

alfaspider wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:22 pm
WS1 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:13 pm

I actually own one (was on sale, I think I paid more like $400). It works fine with regular pants, though your legs will get cold well before the rest of your body. Bought it when I lived in NYC and was tired of being cold all the time. Only use it for skiing now.

Edit: here's a prior year model for ~$400 (depending on your size):

https://www.steepandcheap.com/mountain- ... aaEALw_wcB
Funny coincidence, it was while living in NYC that I realized no coat would every keep me comfy while standing around waiting for the bus or train if my legs are covered in normal pants. This began my quest for a long windproof coat.