Razor for shaving around nose easily?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
URSnshn

Razor for shaving around nose easily?

Post by URSnshn »

Looking for solutions for shaving around the nose. I use a Gillette Mach III and while it gives a fine shave the width of the cartridge makes it difficult to get to get a good shave around the nose.

Have any of you solved this problem and if so what products to you use?
Broken Man 1999

Re: Razor for shaving around nose easily?

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I solved it by having a mustache.

Women have small hair removers, look like pens, to use to shape their eyebrows, and remove the hair under their noses.

I can't think of anything else that wouldn't be the same size as a conventional razor.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
familythriftmd

Post by familythriftmd »

URSnshn wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:20 am Looking for solutions for shaving around the nose. I use a Gillette Mach III and while it gives a fine shave the width of the cartridge makes it difficult to get to get a good shave around the nose.

I have had good success with the Merkur safety razor, and with the BIC METAL line, which is a single bladed razor that gives some good agility.
He/him/his
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 »

Harry’s has a single blade on the top to trim those tight spots. Works well for me.

BTW-have been using Harry’s for about 5 years. Very happy with the product and price compared to the other brands.
Old Sage(brush)

Post by Old Sage(brush) »

Depends on the nose. In my case it would be impossible.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Second the Disposable bic metal. Perfect size for getting that 1/16-1/8 inch below the nose.
https://www.amazon.com/BIC-ABU-004B-Bic ... 189&sr=8-7
I recently switched to the leaf razor, and it is horrible for under the nose (nice shave otherwise). They will be making a small razor (the twig) similar to the bic metal but they won’t be in stock till 2021. They used to include a plastic twig with the leaf but the don’t any more. So if you don’t want a disposable, it will be an option. Once the sunk cost is paid, it uses a half of a de razor blade so will be very cheap going forward.
https://leafshave.com/products/the-twig-razor
If you like the Mac, consider switching to the dorco 6. It has a 7th trimming blade.
https://www.amazon.com/DORCO-Pace-Sport ... 188&sr=8-4
That would be cheaper than the Mach 3 and no need for second razor.
Last edited by mhalley on Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Have you considered changing your technique? Here's some suggestions: https://shavemag.com/shaving-under-nose/

I haven't had any issue getting a clean shave on my upper lip/under my nose using a Mach III. But every face is different! :sharebeer
chw

Post by chw »

You need to simply upgrade to a different Gillette product like the Gillette Fusion5- it has a precision trimmer built into the back of the cartridge for such jobs (also great for side burn trim). I think other Gillette handles/cartridges also have the trimmers as well. You'll get others here to try to get you to other brands- don't go, Gillette is the best shave hands down.
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

OP - I use the same or similar style (I think I use/prefer the Hydro 3 or 5) as you and know what you're describing.
Grab a cheap disposable razor - twin blade or something. Use it for just that area and it'll last for years.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

I use a straight razor and I eschew plastic cartridge razors for many reasons, but if you shave that area horizontally the clearance shouldn't be an issue.
CABob

Post by CABob »

My razor of choice is the Mach 3 or Costco's Kirkland competitor and they seem to do an adequate job for me. I agree with others that a single blade single edge such as the Bic works well when needed.
Bob
jwtietz

Post by jwtietz »

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071K ... UTF8&psc=1
Womens trimmer-
I'm sure there are others but this works for me.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Try Schick Hydro 5.

The old Mach 3 feel like using a dull single blade compared to the newer 5 blade systems.

Hydro has been my favorite.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 »

This is why I went to an electric razor.
If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Electric Shaver for me too. I use a Panasonic ARC-somethingOrOther - but there are plenty of brands that I am sure are fine.

For travel I have a small Braun travel shaver that takes AA batteries (good prompt to self - need to remove the batteries probably so they don't corrode - after traveling every other week I am now not traveling at all).
Greg in S. Carolina

Post by Greg in S. Carolina »

I’ve tried lots of different razors, best choice is Philips Norelco OneBlade. Nothing gets under the nose like this one. Costs about $35 and blade can be replaced. You won’t be disappointed.
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

Try the Schick Slim Twin 2. It is a disposable but it does what you are looking for probably better than any other.
prairieman

Post by prairieman »

I can’t believe I’m responding to this ... but I use an electric razor on most whiskers and cut those hard to get hairs beneath the nostrils with regular razor, while pushing up on the tip of the nose and wrapping upper lip tightly around the top teeth. Maybe the details of human morphology vary, but this works perfectly for me.
“As long as the roots are not severed, all is well.” Chauncey Gardner
Dontwasteit

Post by Dontwasteit »

Back side of the Gillette Fusion 5 does it good.
gonefishing01

Post by gonefishing01 »

Wahl Micro Groomsman

https://wahlusa.com/products/battery-pe ... 0-600.html

This thing is great from trimming stray hairs around nose and ears and also comes with an eyebrow trimmer attachment. For $10.
rooms222

Post by rooms222 »

The Exacta 2 is the new name for the Schick Slim Twin 2, and I agree it is the solution due to its small head. Quality and longevity have gone way up. There are often sales and electronic coupons on this razor. I like it overall, but it is the best on the below the nose issue.
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

I use Gillette pro-glide cartridges and they have a trimmer built in , works around the nose & top lip , the blades are fine around the bottom lip and chin - same design as the Fusion mentioned above .
Last edited by ubermax on Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Electric??

There are all sorts of noses that need trim in’.
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
fedworker2021

Post by fedworker2021 »

DE safety razor reaches them fairly easily. Bonus that it costs ~$25 for over a year’s worth of razors.
rooms222

Post by rooms222 »

fedworker2021 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:56 am DE safety razor reaches them fairly easily. Bonus that it costs ~$25 for over a year’s worth of razors.
As a DE user, I agree that some handle this task well, yet others do not. This is a great time to get a decently made new Double Edge razor with quality blades. Both Gillette (in its King C Gillette) model and Wilkinson Sword on Amazon have quality Double Edge razors at a decent price.

Walgreems has promo offers with their Walgreens rewards on the King C Gillette products. Note for Fusion users that the King C Gillette cartridge razors are rebranded Fusion razors at a lower price after the bonus rewards and coupons.

I still find the Exacta 2 the best under the nose.
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

rooms222 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:44 am
fedworker2021 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:56 am DE safety razor reaches them fairly easily. Bonus that it costs ~$25 for over a year’s worth of razors.
As a DE user, I agree that some handle this task well, yet others do not. This is a great time to get a decently made new Double Edge razor with quality blades. Both Gillette (in its King C Gillette) model and Wilkinson Sword on Amazon have quality Double Edge razors at a decent price.

Walgreems has promo offers with their Walgreens rewards on the King C Gillette products. Note for Fusion users that the King C Gillette cartridge razors are rebranded Fusion razors at a lower price after the bonus rewards and coupons.

Tried the DE route for awhile , had a scuttle , brush , a FatBoy and a Slim , and loved my DE 7 O'clocks and am still a member of the online shaving forum Badger & Blade - I agree it's a very Bogleish route to go, very inexpensive and fun, but now I'm retired and have loosened up a bit , get a 12 pack of Fusion Pro Glides for around $38 at Walmart - the trimmer feature will handle OP's dilemma very well .
rooms222

Post by rooms222 »

ubermax wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:19 pm

Tried the DE route for awhile , had a scuttle , brush , a FatBoy and a Slim , and loved my DE 7 O'clocks and am still a member of the online shaving forum Badger & Blade - I agree it's a very Bogleish route to go, very inexpensive and fun, but now I'm retired and have loosened up a bit , get a 12 pack of Fusion Pro Glides for around $38 at Walmart - the trimmer feature will handle OP's dilemma very well .
For me, the Slim is the worst razor under my nose, but as we know with shaving YMMV on so many things.

With regards to the Fusion, the King C Gillettes at Walgreens have the trimmer. Twelve blades were recently $21 with $10 back in Walgreens rewards and free shipping when ordering online with the Black Friday discount code. The Walgreens reward and discount system is complex. The full price for the King C Gillette (Fusion) blades without any discounts is $9.99 for 4 both at the store and online.
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

rooms222 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:29 pm
For me, the Slim is the worst razor under my nose, but as we know with shaving YMMV on so many things.

With regards to the Fusion, the King C Gillettes at Walgreens have the trimmer. Twelve blades were recently $21 with $10 back in Walgreens rewards and free shipping when ordering online with the Black Friday discount code. The Walgreens reward and discount system is complex. The full price for the King C Gillette (Fusion) blades without any discounts is $9.99 for 4 both at the store and online.
That's a good alternative but $2.00 more than what I'm paying at Walmart for 12 .
Last edited by ubermax on Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
fedworker2021

Post by fedworker2021 »

I’m partial to the Wilkies. It’s not an extremely close shave but for some reason it’s very comfortable on my face.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Might be a good time to rewatch Chinatown, a cautionary tale. :shock:
mancich

Post by mancich »

NJdad6 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:49 am Harry’s has a single blade on the top to trim those tight spots. Works well for me.

BTW-have been using Harry’s for about 5 years. Very happy with the product and price compared to the other brands.
+1 Harry's feels to me like the sharpest and smoothest shaving experience I've ever had, and I have no problem getting close around the nose.
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

URSnshn wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:20 am Looking for solutions for shaving around the nose. I use a Gillette Mach III and while it gives a fine shave the width of the cartridge makes it difficult to get to get a good shave around the nose.

Too bad the moustache craze from a few years ago isn't around but that's always an option. :D Beard guy myself, so not an issue except for the occasional stray hair that decides to go into a nostril and bug the crap out of me. I don't miss shaving at all, but there's still maintenance involved.
Oilcans

Post by Oilcans »

mancich wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:47 am
NJdad6 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:49 am Harry’s has a single blade on the top to trim those tight spots. Works well for me.

+1 Harry's feels to me like the sharpest and smoothest shaving experience I've ever had, and I have no problem getting close around the nose.
Agree. Also been using Harry's for five or more years and have found it to be excellent!