Chrono24: I am seller; what can go wrong?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
doob

Chrono24: I am seller; what can go wrong?

Post by doob »

This is my first time using Chrono24 to sell a pricey watch. I know that buyers usually should be more aware of potential scams, but what, if any, are situations I should be wary of as a seller?

For example, I have one buyer who otherwise sounds legit wanting to generate their own shipping label plus insurance and send it to me. They are claiming they can save over what I am asking for shipping and insurance. I am leaning toward insisting on my own shipping label and insurance terms, since I am still the owner of the watch until it arrives at the buyer's and therefore the party who stands to lose in case the watch is lost in transit.

Am I thinking this straight? Also, what else should I be aware of?

Thanks for your collective wisdom.
Nummerkins

Re: Chrono24: I am seller; what can go wrong?

Post by Nummerkins »

Smells like a scam but I think you already know that.

Buying an expensive watch but trying to go cheap on shipping? No way. You are exactly right that if you use their label you have zero recourse.
Today's high is tomorrow's low.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (watch).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Sounds like a scam. See what happens if you offer to reduce your shipping charges to what he says he pays. And ask how he gets such a cheap rate.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

do they have good references? usually people who wheel and deal pricey watches would have profiles across timezone, watchuseek, rolexforums, and elsewhere.

ive never run into issues with scams across those venues, but of course scams are rampant. you've got everything to lose and very little to gain.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

I do not know that it is a scam. My BIL used to work for one of the major providers of business services. One of his perks was super cheap shipping and insurance, so he did what this seller is offering to do. On the other hand, even if it is not a scam, that does not mean it is in your best interest to take the buyer up on the offer. One key consideration is who has standing to make a claim if there is a problem.
corn18

Post by corn18 »

Use the chrono24 escrow service. I have sold on chrono24 and disregard any offers that did not use the chrono24 escrow service.

What brand and model is the watch? I have bought and sold $250k of high end watches. Most of them on a brand specific forum.
Don't do something, just stand there!
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

How are you paying? Without proof of shipping it will be very easy for the buyer to rescind the payment. Since you are not going to be the shipper you will have no recourse to even contact the shipping company to find out what is up when the watch goes "missing". The buyer will also then be able to make an insurance claim with the shipper who will pay out the buyer not you.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Topic Author
doob

Post by doob »

I am the OP. Thanks for all the comments.

I have been engaging in a conversation with the buyer. They seem to be a business that deals in jewellery and high-end watches.

I insisted on using my own shipping label to send the watch, which they have now accepted. We agreed to split the higher shipping and insurance costs. I still have not closed the deal, but I am feeling a little more comfortable, I think.