Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
Picasso
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:19 pm

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by Picasso »

All-Clad D3 set + Le Creuset Dutch oven (worth it)
rockstar
Posts: 1375
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:51 pm

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by rockstar »

cowdogman wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:32 pm
rockstar wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:12 pm Buy what you need as you need it. Over time you'll accumulate what you need. Sets are overkill.
Agreed. We bought a small set of All Clad a long time ago and have just been adding since--different manufacturers. Pots and pans don't have to have matching logos.
I'm looking to add one all clad copper core skillet for specific recipes. I have a cast iron skillet that I picked up at Target for a good price. I only use it for this one recipe. They're a pain to clean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np0LMwqtOVM

It's interesting how a kitchen item can have such disparate prices when sold at different stores. I picked up a cheap Dutch oven at Target too that I use for French Onion soup and short ribs. I have a pressure cooker that I use strictly for beef stews. I have a rice cooker for rice. Each item is for specific recipes and food items.
User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 23645
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by willthrill81 »

We bought an All Clad D5 set earlier this year and absolutely love all of the pieces. My wife also bought an extra-large D5 pot ($400!! :shock: :moneybag ), but she really did need it.

I believe that a number of the country's top restaurants have been using the same All Clad cookware for years. It's really good, really durable equipment.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
User avatar
heartwood
Posts: 1773
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by heartwood »

from a prior post:
heartwood wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:45 am
Millennial wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:49 am I bought T-fal professional based on the recommendation of Cooks Illustrated/ATC. They have performed well and are pretty cheap ($20-35 deepening on size). I cook a lot and plan on replacing nonstick every 3 years or so.
+1 for t-fal. We've used them for years. I'd stress the "Professional" label aspect. T-fal has several price points. The Professional grade are much better than the cheaper ones. I'd also note that some (cheaper?) are aluminum; others are stainless steel. This matters if you use or consider an induction cooktop; aluminum does not work on induction.
cashheavy18
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:19 pm

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by cashheavy18 »

+1 for All-Clad. Buy individual pieces that fit your cooking needs. Sign up here to be notified of factory sales : https://homeandcooksales.com/?cjevent=6 ... 470a24060d
weltschmerz
Posts: 434
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:17 pm

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by weltschmerz »

I bought a 6-quart stockpot from Made In Cookware earlier this year. 5-ply construction, made in Italy. I've been using it all year, very happy with this purchase. It cost me $119, but I see on their website they are having a 30% off Black Friday sale, so the current price is $83, a great deal!

https://madeincookware.com/products/sta ... stock-pots
Tattarrattat
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:05 pm

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by Tattarrattat »

All-clad fan. Have a copper core deep skillet (almost wok-like) that I use every single day, will last forever.
alpha88
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:48 pm
Location: Southern California

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by alpha88 »

I'm a big fan of Falk Copper pans (copperpans.com if you are in USA) - I have quite a few of them and they get a lot of use.

I also use Lodge cast iron pans (12 and 8") - from grocery store. Considering trying to get something nice to replace them

I have a Le Creuset dutch oven (5.5 qt) that is used for braising things.

I have one non-stick pan for omelets. It doesn't get a lot of use. (I typically make fried eggs in cast iron). It's an allClad d3 - I'm not sure I can tell the difference between it and the costco pan it replaced.
furikake
Posts: 322
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:13 am

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by furikake »

I'd say buy individual pieces also. I have mostly All Clad, but I recently got a saucier pan + lid from Demeyere, I really like it. I like it more than All Clad.
goos_news
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:14 pm
Location: Northern California/French Riviera

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by goos_news »

I have splurged on quite a bit of items, including Falk copper, Mauviel copper, vintage french copper, Demeyere stainless, vintage cast iron, Le Creuset and Staub enabled cast iron. I had All-Clad D5 and they perform worse on a gas range than their tri ply D3 line. In terms of evenness and other aspects they are now outperformed by others. The same with the Copper Core line -- just check out true stainless lined copper or some of the new Copper Clad lines that actually have significantly more copper in their layers.

But to the OP's question, Macy's really has a limited selection of good quality for value pans at the lower price points. You might consider using the gift cert for something else. The Farberware are not well constructed and have poor heat spreading capability. You really want a clad stainless steel product with at least 2.6mm thick sidewalls (the same as the All Clad D3). The Cuisinart Multiclad Pro is comparable to the thickness of the All Clad D3, but at a much lower price, but they don't currently stock this line at Macy's (The French Classic is another Cuisinart line, more expensive as it is made in France). For cast iron, Lodge is a good value. A frying pan can be handy. I too generally recommend pieces, or at least keep a set to a small piece of core pans.
mrb09
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:02 am

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by mrb09 »

For pots, we’ve had Cuisnart pots for over 30 years, they’re finally getting scratched enough we replace one with an all-clad version when we see one on sale.

For pans, we’re replacing our Lodge cast iron pans with “Greenpan”, mostly because of the weight savings. The lodge pans are now relegated to bbq/camping.

We’ve had Le Creuset bakeware for a while now, can’t remember what we had before.

I still have my lodge cast iron Dutch oven, haven’t switched to an enamel version yet.

We bought the Cuisnart in a set back in the day. The pots actually are nice, but I could never get used to a sauté in the pan. So +1 on not buying a set.
deserat
Posts: 59
Joined: Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:08 am

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by deserat »

heartwood wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:13 pm from a prior post:
heartwood wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:45 am
Millennial wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:49 am I bought T-fal professional based on the recommendation of Cooks Illustrated/ATC. They have performed well and are pretty cheap ($20-35 deepening on size). I cook a lot and plan on replacing nonstick every 3 years or so.
+1 for t-fal. We've used them for years. I'd stress the "Professional" label aspect. T-fal has several price points. The Professional grade are much better than the cheaper ones. I'd also note that some (cheaper?) are aluminum; others are stainless steel. This matters if you use or consider an induction cooktop; aluminum does not work on induction.
+2 (Tefal) and for the All-Clad, Le Creuset - I bought the 'professional set' of All-Clad over 20 years ago - it had the uglier outside (not the shiny stainless steel) - love that set. I also have one smaller Le Creuset Ditch oven - does wonderful braising and can handle heat in the oven. For the Tefal/T-fal, I currently live in Europe and purchased a skillet at CORA - I had visited a friend in the NL and she and her husband had done their research on non-stick. The Tefal made in France (not anywhere else) and fairly expensive is a *dream* to cook with. I purchased the one that has the detachable handle, so you can use it on the stove and oven. I threw away all of my other non-stick pans.

Agree with others to minimize your set to what you think you will use and then pick up specific items as needed. Many can do dual/triple duty.
heikejohn1
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:02 am

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by heikejohn1 »

I have a set of this company's cookware.
Mine is not made anymore, but this is similar.

https://www.amazon.com/Silit-Silargan-c ... 1677706243

Bought my set about 35 years ago, and it still looks brand new. (Except the inside is not shiny any more.)
User avatar
hand
Posts: 1567
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 8:42 pm

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by hand »

Fundamental issue here is that there is not enough information provided to recommend the ideal balance of function, looks, cost, weight, quantity, heat source and maintenance requirements. Getting this right requires knowing yourself as a cook, and is difficult for anyone else to answer for you (though every cook has their own opinions).

On the low end, I've been really happy with restaurant quality pots (e.g. Update, Crestware, anything else NSF rated).

My pathway to fitting out a kitchen was to start with a bulk order from a restaurant supply store (cheap, sufficient function, but industrial aesthetics) and then replace the pieces I use heavily with a more optimal solution. Over time, I've stayed with cheap stainless solutions for boiling water and non-stick and have been happy with investments in heavy stainless clad pieces for saucepans, and heavy enamel clad cast iron for dutch ovens. You'll have to pry my grandmother's cast iron skillet out of my cold dead hands.
URSnshn
Posts: 259
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:10 pm

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by URSnshn »

I like 360 Cookware. You do need to learn a few new things about how to cook with it. But I have been very pleased so far. It is expensive - this was my first “investment” cookware. Their biggest sale is in September. Though they have a sale going now. This serves my needs. I purchased only the pots and pans I wanted and researched my specs against others prior to purchase earlier this year.
michaeljc70
Posts: 7479
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by michaeljc70 »

I have a variety of brands at many different price points including Le Creuset and All Clad. My best advice would be to not buy anything with a disk stuck to the bottom of a pan. Buy something triply when buying stainless steel pots. The disk pans cause scorching where the disk meets the sides and in general are more poorly made. I have triply pans by All Clad, Calphalon, Cuisinart and Tramontina. I don't notice a substantial difference between them.

I have had several enameled cast iron pots of a few brands. All of them except the Le Creuset have had cracking in the enamel over time and wound up in the garbage. I've heard fairly good things about the Lodge ones, but haven't tried them myself.

I view a couple pieces of non-enameled cast iron as must have for searing things. I actually use a cast iron skillet a lot because it holds the heat very well and has non-stick properties. Once you get used to cleaning it (I use chainmail) the care required is minimal. They are heavy and keeping it on the stove or near the stove is ideal.

I have some non-stick, but I try and avoid using those. They can be toxic at high heats (on the stovetop or in the oven), don't do well in the dishwasher and tend to flake/peel over time.
User avatar
cowdogman
Posts: 835
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:44 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by cowdogman »

rockstar wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:02 pm
cowdogman wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:32 pm
rockstar wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:12 pm Buy what you need as you need it. Over time you'll accumulate what you need. Sets are overkill.
Agreed. We bought a small set of All Clad a long time ago and have just been adding since--different manufacturers. Pots and pans don't have to have matching logos.
I'm looking to add one all clad copper core skillet for specific recipes. I have a cast iron skillet that I picked up at Target for a good price. I only use it for this one recipe. They're a pain to clean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np0LMwqtOVM

It's interesting how a kitchen item can have such disparate prices when sold at different stores. I picked up a cheap Dutch oven at Target too that I use for French Onion soup and short ribs. I have a pressure cooker that I use strictly for beef stews. I have a rice cooker for rice. Each item is for specific recipes and food items.
Yes, for fajita and stir fry I find my All Clad Copper Core 3 Quart Saute Pan (that I use as a skillet) is the best pan. Really crisps what I'm cooking without drying it out and is relatively easy to clean with steel-wool. Non-stick pans tend to heat food without really crisping it. And the carbon steel pans cook well but are virtually impossible to clean after fajitas without having to re-season the pan.

Runner up is the All Clad Chef's Pan. It's downside is that the actual cooking area is relatively small.
seawolf21
Posts: 922
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:33 am

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by seawolf21 »

willthrill81 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:04 pm I believe that a number of the country's top restaurants have been using the same All Clad cookware for years. It's really good, really durable equipment.
Don't buy into that. It's all marketing to justify their prices for the foodie crowd. Unlikely busy restaurants use stainless at is takes too long to heat and definitely not All-Clad as it is pricey and no one got the time to baby them. There is a reason you don't see All-Clad being sold in restaurant supply stores. Preference is for aluminum. Heats fast and even (thus 3 ply is sandwiching an aluminum core) and cheap to replace.
malabargold wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:00 pm Costco’s Kirkland Copper Core
These are junk. Warps easily.
ScubaHogg
Posts: 774
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:02 pm

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by ScubaHogg »

Watty wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:39 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:10 pm And buy a Lodge cast iron skillet for cooking steaks indoors.
+1

I prefer cast iron seared steak to BBQ steak once I started cooking it that way. Seared chicken breasts are also really good.
By “BBQ” steak do you mean grilled steak? I’m curious if folks are slow cooking their steaks with smoke all day?
“Unexpected Returns dominate the Expected Returns” - Ken French
Alf 101
Posts: 374
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:24 am

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by Alf 101 »

This is an interesting question. I would not recommend buying a set of pots. I would start slowly, piece by piece, and determine what you'll need and use.

All-Clad is mentioned frequently, and there are other brands which go with a multi-clad, or layer, metallurgy. This can be useful in terms of how the pot or pan retains heat, if the surface is uniform or there are hotspots, etc. It's worth asking, however, what you cook that needs this precision. For something like a stock pot, for example, this could be overkill.

We cook more than a fair bit, and here's what I mainly use:
12" skillet (All-Clad)
12" non-stick skillet (OXO, TFal, something similar)
5-qt enameled Dutch Oven (Lodge)
Small sauce pan (1.5 or 2 qt)
Larger sauce pan (3.5 or 4 qt)
Sheet pans (Nordic Ware)

I have other pots and pans (e.g., saute pan, saucier, non-enamaled Dutch oven, cast iron skillet from my grandma), but 90%+ of what I cook uses some combination of these.

I would not pay a premium for a non-stick pan. The do wear out after 1-2 years of good use, and will need to be replaced. I would say around $40 is reasonable. I've also seen several mentions for Le Creuset. My brother owns one, it performs well, and he's quite pleased with it. I am not yet convinced there is a great performance difference between it and the Lodge equivalent, but there is a price difference.

Lastly, All-Clad makes fine pots and pans, and you can often find sales for factory seconds. I purchased a 1.5qt saucepan years ago, which did not have a rounded lip, which annoyed my wife. Eventually you learn to adjust how you pour it, but something to consider. As I understand, however, some of their more premier lines have fixed that problem.

Good luck!
HawkeyePierce
Posts: 1803
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:29 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by HawkeyePierce »

I have three Lodge skillets (10", 12" and 10" deep), a Lodge enameled dutch oven and some pots and saucepans that I picked up at restaurant supply stores.

I agree with the post above that you're not going to find high-end gear in restaurants. They beat the snot out of their equipment—it's all no-name gear from restaurant supply stores.
User avatar
Bogle7
Posts: 908
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 9:33 am
Location: Mountain state

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by Bogle7 »

HawkeyePierce wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:58 am you're not going to find high-end gear in restaurants.
Well, there are exceptions (Michelin multi star restaurants)
Image
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
Soon2BXProgrammer
Posts: 1786
Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:30 pm

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

Our family has used a set of: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000UTUWY for the last 16 years. and they are still going strong. They are physically heavy and they where expensive (400dollars in 2004ish).

In addition to those pan we do have a couple enable coated cast iron pans.
retire2022
Posts: 1850
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:10 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by retire2022 »

If no one is aware of it restaurant stoves have higher BTU output, hence it is not really the same because they need to heat the food at a higher temperature for speed.

https://www.hotelrestaurantsupply.com/b ... -you-need/

What’s a BTU and How Many Do You Need?

When we buy some appliances, we check to see if it fits our specifications, brand reliability, and of course the price. Many items from air conditioners to gas ranges are rated by BTU, the British Thermal Unit.

What’s a BTU?
British thermal units (BTU or Btu) are the units that measure the heat given off by your gas burner. One BTU will raise the heat of one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit.

Your stove at home probably has about 7,000 BTUs per burner, and that is adequate for most homes. A heavy-duty range in a restaurant may have 35,000 BTUs per burner or more, depending on the requirements for each specific application.

Note: When you buy a range hood, it’s important to know how many BTUs they are rated to handle. Don’t buy a hood that is inadequate for your needs.

If your cooking requires a lot of high-heat seared foods like steaks, you’ll want to make sure your burners and ovens can put out lots of power. If you do a lot of simmering, soups for example, you may be better with a lower BTU range. Energy costs are a major consideration for every business, but especially restaurants.
User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 23645
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by willthrill81 »

seawolf21 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 am
willthrill81 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:04 pm I believe that a number of the country's top restaurants have been using the same All Clad cookware for years. It's really good, really durable equipment.
Don't buy into that. It's all marketing to justify their prices for the foodie crowd. Unlikely busy restaurants use stainless at is takes too long to heat and definitely not All-Clad as it is pricey and no one got the time to baby them. There is a reason you don't see All-Clad being sold in restaurant supply stores. Preference is for aluminum. Heats fast and even (thus 3 ply is sandwiching an aluminum core) and cheap to replace.
I can't find any evidence that chefs generally prefer aluminum. The opposite seems to often be true.
Professional chefs recommend using cast iron, copper, and carbon steel pans.
https://takebackyourtable.com/professio ... 20kitchens.
The kind of material the cookware is made out of often depends on the type of the pot or pan. As an example, most chefs can agree that a skillet made out of cast iron is the way to go. For every day cooking on the stovetop, copper is the big favorite. Chefs do not recommend using cookware that’s made out of aluminum if you often cook acidic foods.
https://kitchenairy.com/what-cookware-t ... chefs-use/

The chefs interviewed by the New Yorker all preferred cast iron, carbon steel, and stainless steel, including All Clad specifically.

The only positive aspects of aluminum that I can find are that it heats up more quickly than most other materials (except copper) but mostly that it's more cost effective and used by 'most restaurants' for that reason alone.

Further, the high number of positive recommendations for All Clad from posters here who've owned the stuff for years seems to me to mean that it's not 'all marketing'.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
Lee_WSP
Posts: 4004
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:15 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by Lee_WSP »

seawolf21 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 am
willthrill81 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:04 pm I believe that a number of the country's top restaurants have been using the same All Clad cookware for years. It's really good, really durable equipment.
Don't buy into that. It's all marketing to justify their prices for the foodie crowd. Unlikely busy restaurants use stainless at is takes too long to heat and definitely not All-Clad as it is pricey and no one got the time to baby them. There is a reason you don't see All-Clad being sold in restaurant supply stores. Preference is for aluminum. Heats fast and even (thus 3 ply is sandwiching an aluminum core) and cheap to replace.
malabargold wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:00 pm Costco’s Kirkland Copper Core
These are junk. Warps easily.
I agree with 99% of this post. Only difference is that resto stores sell a lot of stainless. Disk bottomed stainless though. Winco/Update International/Browne are the "brands". They also do stock tri ply - Vollrath Tribute line. Sometimes they sell Paderno branded as Vollrath and Vollrath also has the Mirage line.

In Europe, they sell disk bottomed Paderno & Lacor as well as the other China made brands.
willthrill81 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:47 pm
I can't find any evidence that chefs prefer aluminum. The opposite seems to be true.
Yes they do. It's nearly dirt cheap, it works, and it's much more even heating than thin clad.

Professional chefs recommend using cast iron, copper, and carbon steel pans.
https://takebackyourtable.com/professio ... 20kitchens.
They do prefer copper, but most of the time cannot afford copper. Cast iron is great for stuff like cornbread at the table, Fajitas, tableside service, etc. They do like carbon steel for searing tasks.




The kind of material the cookware is made out of often depends on the type of the pot or pan. As an example, most chefs can agree that a skillet made out of cast iron is the way to go. For every day cooking on the stovetop, copper is the big favorite. Chefs do not recommend using cookware that’s made out of aluminum if you often cook acidic foods.
https://kitchenairy.com/what-cookware-t ... chefs-use/

The chefs interviewed by the New Yorker all preferred cast iron, carbon steel, and stainless steel, including All Clad.

The only positive aspect of aluminum that I can find is that it heats up more quickly than most other materials (except copper) but mostly that it's more cost effective and used by 'most restaurants' for that reason alone.

Further, the high number of positive recommendations for All Clad from posters here who've owned the stuff for years seems to me to mean that it's not 'all marketing'.
You do realize that the conductive layer in All Clad is aluminum right? The stainless cladding is only there for ease of cleaning (you can stick it in the dishwasher), and possibly rigidity/durability (won't dent).
User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 23645
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by willthrill81 »

Lee_WSP wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:52 pm
seawolf21 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:49 am
willthrill81 wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:04 pm I believe that a number of the country's top restaurants have been using the same All Clad cookware for years. It's really good, really durable equipment.
Don't buy into that. It's all marketing to justify their prices for the foodie crowd. Unlikely busy restaurants use stainless at is takes too long to heat and definitely not All-Clad as it is pricey and no one got the time to baby them. There is a reason you don't see All-Clad being sold in restaurant supply stores. Preference is for aluminum. Heats fast and even (thus 3 ply is sandwiching an aluminum core) and cheap to replace.
malabargold wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:00 pm Costco’s Kirkland Copper Core
These are junk. Warps easily.
I agree with 99% of this post. Only difference is that resto stores sell a lot of stainless. Disk bottomed stainless though. Winco/Update International/Browne are the "brands". They also do stock tri ply - Vollrath Tribute line. Sometimes they sell Paderno branded as Vollrath and Vollrath also has the Mirage line.

In Europe, they sell disk bottomed Paderno & Lacor as well as the other China made brands.
willthrill81 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:47 pm
I can't find any evidence that chefs prefer aluminum. The opposite seems to be true.
Yes they do. It's nearly dirt cheap, it works, and it's much more even heating than thin clad.

Professional chefs recommend using cast iron, copper, and carbon steel pans.
https://takebackyourtable.com/professio ... 20kitchens.
They do prefer copper, but most of the time cannot afford copper. Cast iron is great for stuff like cornbread at the table, Fajitas, tableside service, etc. They do like carbon steel for searing tasks.




The kind of material the cookware is made out of often depends on the type of the pot or pan. As an example, most chefs can agree that a skillet made out of cast iron is the way to go. For every day cooking on the stovetop, copper is the big favorite. Chefs do not recommend using cookware that’s made out of aluminum if you often cook acidic foods.
https://kitchenairy.com/what-cookware-t ... chefs-use/

The chefs interviewed by the New Yorker all preferred cast iron, carbon steel, and stainless steel, including All Clad.

The only positive aspect of aluminum that I can find is that it heats up more quickly than most other materials (except copper) but mostly that it's more cost effective and used by 'most restaurants' for that reason alone.

Further, the high number of positive recommendations for All Clad from posters here who've owned the stuff for years seems to me to mean that it's not 'all marketing'.
You do realize that the conductive layer in All Clad is aluminum right? The stainless cladding is only there for ease of cleaning (you can stick it in the dishwasher), and possibly rigidity/durability (won't dent).
There's a big difference between stainless steel and aluminum combinations versus aluminum alone.

I'm really not interested in continuing this conversation further. There's enough information in the thread at this point for the OP to make an informed decision.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
Lee_WSP
Posts: 4004
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:15 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by Lee_WSP »

deleted.
Last edited by Lee_WSP on Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee_WSP
Posts: 4004
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:15 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by Lee_WSP »

willthrill81 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:56 pm
I'm really not interested in continuing this conversation further. There's enough information in the thread at this point for the OP to make an informed decision.
Fair. Visit chowhound.com & the cookware section if you want to learn more about cookware.
seawolf21
Posts: 922
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:33 am

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by seawolf21 »

Bogle7 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:25 pm
HawkeyePierce wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:58 am you're not going to find high-end gear in restaurants.
Well, there are exceptions (Michelin multi star restaurants)
Image
That picture tells me the high end pans are used as decor and not for cooking. No way those copper pieces being used for cooking daily will look like that.

When you are running a business where pots/pans are part of the cost, I don't see All-Clad's value proposition being attractive. A restaurant need pans that can take a beating physically and thermally day in/day out and/or cheap to replace.

All-Clad is selling a (somewhat) luxury item. They are selling an image to residential home cooks. These pans are not going to see the same usage/abuse as those in a restaurant kitchen.
stoptothink
Posts: 8988
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by stoptothink »

seawolf21 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:27 pm
Bogle7 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:25 pm
HawkeyePierce wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:58 am you're not going to find high-end gear in restaurants.
Well, there are exceptions (Michelin multi star restaurants)
Image
That picture tells me the high end pans are used as decor and not for cooking. No way those copper pieces being used for cooking daily will look like that.

When you are running a business where pots/pans are part of the cost, I don't see All-Clad's value proposition being attractive. A restaurant need pans that can take a beating physically and thermally day in/day out and/or cheap to replace.

All-Clad is selling a (somewhat) luxury item. They are selling an image to residential home cooks. These pans are not going to see the same usage/abuse as those in a restaurant kitchen.
Considering they are too high for anybody to reach without a ladder and there are less fancy pots/pans well within reach, it certainly looks like those fancy copper pans are there for decorative purposes.
User avatar
Bogle7
Posts: 908
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 9:33 am
Location: Mountain state

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by Bogle7 »

seawolf21 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:27 pmThat picture tells me the high end pans are used as decor and not for cooking. No way those copper pieces being used for cooking daily will look like that.
I am betting that they are used.
Thomas Keller has scullery maids at the French Laundry.

Then, there is this
Image
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
GT99
Posts: 423
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:26 pm

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by GT99 »

Check out Vollrath. It's primarily a commercial brand, but you can buy their stuff on Amazon, or a better selection on Webrestaurantstore.com. All Clad quality at lower prices.

And I'm sorry, I know people swear by it, but don't waste your money on Le Creuset. The Cuisinart equivalent products are nearly as good for a fraction of the price. Don't get me wrong, Le Creuset is better, but I wouldn't pay double for it, and it's generally about 4x the price of the Cuisinart equivalent.
Lee_WSP
Posts: 4004
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:15 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by Lee_WSP »

The "are copper pans used in high end restaurants" debate is not new to the internet. There are just as many "they're using cheap aluminum pots & pans" as there are "they're clearly using the copper pot to make that sauce" pictures & videos, interspersed with nearly as many "those look like wall decoration" pictures*.

My personal conclusion, other than All Clad is hardly seen, is that it more or less comes down to the whims of the chef at that particular Michelin starred restaurant.

*Although if the copper is particularly shiny, it's questionable whether it is actually used since copper gets pretty dirty & discolored pretty quickly.
User avatar
tooluser
Posts: 814
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by tooluser »

Bogle7 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:58 pm
seawolf21 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:27 pmThat picture tells me the high end pans are used as decor and not for cooking. No way those copper pieces being used for cooking daily will look like that.
I am betting that they are used.
Thomas Keller has scullery maids at the French Laundry.

Then, there is this
Image
Every fine French restaurant kitchen has one very tall person working there, the maître de la batterie de cuisine haute. Their job is to get the pans down for the chefs. The chefs in turn wear tall stovepipe hats in honor of the maître's skill and talent, and this is why fine dining is often described as "haute cuisine". :beer
sasquatch12
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:52 pm

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by sasquatch12 »

We use All-Clad D5 stainless steel cookware for most of our cooking, much better than non-stick. The food cooks more evenly and tastes better. For non-stick eggs, etc. we also use All-Clad non-stick. We also use a Le Creuset dutch oven and cast iron skillet. We used to use Calphalon cookware but find All-Clad and Le Creuset cook food much better.
User avatar
batpot
Posts: 1217
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:48 pm

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by batpot »

We have 3 cast iron skillets, and various sizes of non-stick pans.
got some ceramic coated non-stick calphelon pans about 7 years ago.
They're scratched, but still functional. They're white ceramic, and one or 2 have permanent stains, which doesn't bother us.
Sounding like another round of those might make sense, given 7 years seems above average?
User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 23645
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by willthrill81 »

sasquatch12 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:47 pm We use All-Clad D5 stainless steel cookware for most of our cooking, much better than non-stick. The food cooks more evenly and tastes better. For non-stick eggs, etc. we also use All-Clad non-stick.
When I cook crepes on our D5 skillet, I find that they don't flip as easily as with non-stick, but they brown much better. My wife has found that by heating up the skillet first, then adding enough butter to coat the pan, eggs don't stick at all.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
dot00
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by dot00 »

For non-stick cookware, we’ve enjoyed our Swiss Diamond pieces. https://swissdiamond.com/

The rest of our stuff is a hodgepodge of Farberware and Le Creuset. My wife just bought a small Staub Dutch oven for my bread baking habit. :D
User avatar
tooluser
Posts: 814
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by tooluser »

willthrill81 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:36 pm
sasquatch12 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:47 pm We use All-Clad D5 stainless steel cookware for most of our cooking, much better than non-stick. The food cooks more evenly and tastes better. For non-stick eggs, etc. we also use All-Clad non-stick.
When I cook crepes on our D5 skillet, I find that they don't flip as easily as with non-stick, but they brown much better. My wife has found that by heating up the skillet first, then adding enough butter to coat the pan, eggs don't stick at all.
The very controversial Frugal Gourmet used to say "Hot pan, cold oil - food won't stick." I think he learned that from a Chinese wok chef.
Lee_WSP
Posts: 4004
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:15 pm
Location: Arizona

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by Lee_WSP »

tooluser wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:39 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:36 pm
sasquatch12 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:47 pm We use All-Clad D5 stainless steel cookware for most of our cooking, much better than non-stick. The food cooks more evenly and tastes better. For non-stick eggs, etc. we also use All-Clad non-stick.
When I cook crepes on our D5 skillet, I find that they don't flip as easily as with non-stick, but they brown much better. My wife has found that by heating up the skillet first, then adding enough butter to coat the pan, eggs don't stick at all.
The very controversial Frugal Gourmet used to say "Hot pan, cold oil - food won't stick." I think he learned that from a Chinese wok chef.
I've tried it both ways numerous times. What works all the time is low heat. Lower than you think (250-350). Medium heat (middle setting) on glass stoves is actually a lot hotter than you might think. It gets the pan to nearly 400F on my cooktop, five hundred if I let it sit there long enough.
AnonLady
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:43 pm

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by AnonLady »

I think cast iron is the best for pans IMO. I bought a Lodge a few years ago and those things are champs, it will probably last me my whole life. Ideally you could get an old cast iron from a grandma who got one back when our steel was higher quality (I hear the turn of the century stuff is the best and the old, small cast iron pan I got from Goodwill is also the most non-stick), but for what you can buy commercially, a Lodge or two is a great deal that you can probably even pass on to your children. Get the lid while you are at it, I have the 12" pan with the lid and it's my go-to pan. Just be sure to learn how to care for them properly and they will last you a lifetime or two.

I have stainless for the pots and a few pans (because I bought a set) and they are fine for now, just buy the best quality you can afford. I really want to get an enameled cast iron Dutch oven someday, but I'm torn because the Le Cruesset's are the best, but they cost a lot of $. My friend scored one from the Goodwill, but she's got Goodwill magic way beyond my power level.

Happy cooking!
User avatar
willthrill81
Posts: 23645
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:17 pm
Location: USA

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by willthrill81 »

AnonLady wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:58 pm I think cast iron is the best for pans IMO.
I too really like cast iron, especially when its very well seasoned. Nothing else can cook biscuits as well (American style, not those cookies that the Brits call 'biscuits' :wink: ).
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
User avatar
Bogle7
Posts: 908
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 9:33 am
Location: Mountain state

Downside to cast iron

Post by Bogle7 »

AnonLady wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:58 pm I think cast iron is the best for pans IMO.
Cast iron not good with acidic foods.
Stainless much better.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
Independent George
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:13 pm
Location: Chicago, IL, USA

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by Independent George »

Carbon steel has taken over the duties I used to use cast iron for.
Topic Author
ruanddu
Posts: 294
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by ruanddu »

Thanks again, everyone.
Post Reply