Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ruanddu

Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by ruanddu »

Hello,

My wife and I need to replace our kitchen pots and pans set. We cook with standard electric heat stove (not induction). I have heard differing opinions on cast iron, stainless steel and ceramic. At the end of the day, just leaves me confused to what to actually buy. We have a gift card to Macy's so were looking there and found the set below. We are open to buying elsewhere, so if you have a product recommendation we would be grateful. Hoping to buy one set to tackle most of our cooking, but if that's not recommended, we are open to buying separate pieces too.

Here is set we are considering:

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/farb ... oryID=7552

Thank you!
V1RTUS

Re: Kitchen Pots and Pans - Any Recommendations?

Post by V1RTUS »

My wife and I just replaced all of our cookware. I hate buying or recommending sets because they generally include pieces that will never be used. I did a ton of research and ended up getting a lot of what is recommended by America's Test Kitchen.

12" All-Clad SS D3 skillet with lid
12" Tramontina non-stick skillet
2 and 4qt Tramontina SS sauce pans
12qt Cook N Home SS stock pot

I'd also recommend a cast iron skillet if you don't already have one. We spent approximately $300 and other than the non-stick skillet all of these pieces should last for a really long time if they're reasonably taken care of.
"I will do today what others won't, so that I can do tomorrow what others can't."
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Sets include way too many things you don’t need. I’d never do it.

Unfortunately we are on an electric glass stovetop but it works fine with all of our cast iron and stainless steel. It really depends on the manufacturer, not just the material. Some of our All Clad pieces are fantastic, although one is not. Our cast iron works great for certain dishes. We have some cheaper stainless that are awful.

12” stainless frying pan, 4 quart chef’s pan, 8 qt stainless rondeau, 3 qt cast iron pan, carbon wok, these are our go to pieces. 90% of the cooking done with then.
Last edited by angelescrest on Sun Nov 29, 2020 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

We use a combo of options.

The only set we bought was Calphalon Tri-Ply, but calphalon now isn’t built like calphalon 15 years ago.

We also mix in two non stick omelet pans, an 8 quart enameled cast iron Dutch oven, and an all clad grill pan for fish.

Look at the handles, how they are attached, how they fit your hand, do they have helper handles on the bigger ones, and can they go oven to stovetop?
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

Budget and expectations?

If you go all out and can lift them, modern 2.5 mm stainless and copper pans are the best all rounders. Falk Culinair USA is currently having a 15% off sale.

For more budget friendly, anything Cuisinart is going to be good price for value.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Op

I agree with V1TUS

I have allclad Stainless steel with Aluminum and copper middle (1986)

I have Calphalon frying pans anodized and cookware

I have other pots with Teflon, which wore out do it depends on your budget.

I've found used cookware in fleamarkets which are high quality worth getting if it is one third of original retail price.

I have a teflon Calphalon wok I brought used for $8 worth $40 new

used cookware just goes in to dishwasher.

Other cookware I like and own are Cuisinart or Tools of Trade (Macy's label) which are heavy stainless steel with a double bottom is just as good as any brand, esp older models.
mkc

Post by mkc »

Another vote for "just like knives, buy what you use, not a set".

I have LeCreuset enameled Dutch ovens, Lodge and antique Griswold cast iron (skillets, combo cooker for bread, and a chicken fryer), a couple non-stick skillets and straight-sided saute pans with lids, a lightweight stock pot, and a couple of stainless saucepans. I gave away the stainless skillets from the set that the saucepans were in.
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

We’ve had our All-Clad wedding set for 20 years and it’s wonderful. It will outlast us. As for non-stick fry pans, I highly recommend Swiss Diamond. They don’t use any Teflon coatings or other such fluoropolymer coatings that will leach into your food over time as they flake off. Like all non-stick, they have a finite lifespan.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

If you don't cook that much - I guess a "set" of just about any quality would do. Generally, the only pans you should need to replace are the ones with non-stick coatings.

That said, I'm also in the buy pots and pans by the piece.

On the set you have in the OP
Set includes:
1-qt. saucepan and lid (this is a useful pot)
3-qt. saucepan and lid (this is a useful pot)
3-qt. sauté and lid (not sure what I would use this for).
6-qt. stockpot and lid (This is a useful pot)
8.25" skillet (this size is an omelet pan... do you cook alot of eggs? or cook one burger or saute 1/2 an onion?
9.75" skillet (this size is also kind of limited - do you saute up an onion and a pepper? Or do you do MORE veggies at one time)
10" x 15" cookie pan (this is a kind of useful thing - you might be better off buying the 2 aluminum pan sets at Costco or Sam's club).
Prestige nylon slotted turner (they just thru this in to make you feel special - like when you get a keyring or a pen from a business or a politician.)

Will you be hanging these pots? The loops on the handles seem kind of silly if you aren't hanging them. The handles look ok (easy to hold).

I'd think about the things you cook regularly and what size pot or pan you use. And maybe start with replacing those.

I tend to use 10 inch and 12 inch (with higher sides) skillets. I do have an 8inch "omelet/egg" skillet.

I find a 2 quart saucepan with lid to be helpful for making rice or 4 servings of steel cut oats (or a package of Knorr rice or noodles, or a box of mac and cheese) the 1 qt feels too small and the 3 qt too big.

ADDED: I love LeCruset but they are heavy and cumbersome and a pain to use on a daily basis. They can also chip and the insides stain - if you are kind of OCD about stuff looking "perfect and new" for ever these pieces will be a disappointment.
Last edited by LittleMaggieMae on Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Sets are awful. Many useless pans.
Farberware is thin junk.

I would recommend:
1. Le Creuset Signature Skillet - 11.75 inch - https://www.lecreuset.com/signature-skillet/LS2024.html - your desired color
2. Le Creuset round Dutch Oven - 5.5 qt - https://www.lecreuset.com/round-dutch-oven/LS2501.html - your desired color (Staub is a good alternative)
3. Demeyere Atlantis Saucier - 3.5-QT - https://www.zwilling.com/us/demeyere-at ... 228-0.html
4. All-Clad D3 Stainless 3-ply Bonded Cookware, Sauce Pan with lid - 2 quart - https://www.all-clad.com/d3-stainless-3 ... quart.html (Demeyere is an excellent alternative)
5. All-Clad D3 Stainless 3-ply Bonded Cookware, Sauce Pan with lid - 1 quart - https://www.all-clad.com/d3-stainless-3 ... quart.html (Demeyere is an excellent alternative)
6. Joyce Chen 14-inch Flat Bottom Steel Wok - 14 inch - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001VQIP4
7. OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Pro Dishwasher safe Open Frypan - 8-Inch - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PCI71NE/
Alternative is https://matferbourgeatusa.com/product/b ... ng-pan-10/

We own these and use them for 90% of our cooking.

P.S. Cost is over $1K.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Sun Nov 29, 2020 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
Aw0k3n

Post by Aw0k3n »

+1 for All Clad
+1 for Le Creuset

Costco occasionally will have good sales on both of those.
Tat tvam asi (thou art that)
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

For "cookie sheets" I would recommend something like these from Sam's club (I'm sure costco sells them too)

Member's Mark Half-Size Aluminum Sheet Pans (2 pk) ($12.00) https://www.samsclub.com/p/half-size-al ... _product_1
Excellante Full Size Aluminum Sheet Pan - 18" x 26" ($9.00) (buy 2) https://www.samsclub.com/p/full-size-al ... _product_5

For $30 you are done - you can roast veggies or chicken pieces (or other meats). You can bake cookies or make a "jelly roll" dessert. You can bake fish sticks or pigs in a blanket. You can melt the cheese on the italian rolls before you add the roast beef. You can use the pan under a pie (the pan will NOT warp) to catch drips. Use it under a quiche to steady the "pie" so the liquid doesn't splash out when putting it in the oven.

You will not need another "cookie sheet". Ever.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Bogle7 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:22 pm Sets are awful. Many useless pans.
Farberware is thin junk.

I would recommend:
1. Le Creuset Signature Skillet - 11.75 inch - https://www.lecreuset.com/signature-skillet/LS2024.html - your desired color
2. Le Creuset round Dutch Oven - 5.5 qt - https://www.lecreuset.com/round-dutch-oven/LS2501.html - your desired color (Staub is a good alternative)
3. Demeyere Atlantis Saucier - 3.5-QT - https://www.zwilling.com/us/demeyere-at ... 228-0.html
4. All-Clad D3 Stainless 3-ply Bonded Cookware, Sauce Pan with lid - 2 quart - https://www.all-clad.com/d3-stainless-3 ... quart.html (Demeyere is an excellent alternative)
5. All-Clad D3 Stainless 3-ply Bonded Cookware, Sauce Pan with lid - 1 quart - https://www.all-clad.com/d3-stainless-3 ... quart.html (Demeyere is an excellent alternative)
6. Joyce Chen 14-inch Flat Bottom Steel Wok - 14 inch - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001VQIP4
7. OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Pro Dishwasher safe Open Frypan - 8-Inch - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PCI71NE/

We own these and use them for 90% of our cooking.

P.S. Cost is over $1K.
I'm sure all of this stuff is "quality", but I can't even imagine spending a fraction of that on pans. How exactly is Le Creuset better than Lodge, other than costing 4x as much? I certainly wouldn't say we are gourmet cooks, but darn near 100% of our meals are cooked at home and we've never had an issue with budget pans. I believe the only thing we've ever replaced is a nonstick fry pan (like the OXO you link).
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Bogle7 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:22 pm Sets are awful. Many useless pans.
When we replaced 25 year old Calphalon about 5 years ago we managed to find an All Clad D3 set that had many of the pans we wanted. We did not want the 8" fry pan that was included but the set was cheaper than getting the pans we did want separately. Therefore we bought the set and immediately donated two pans we didn't want to charity.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

All Clad. Buy individual pieces. Don't buy sets. Supplement your core All Clad collection with one or two nonstick skillets from Scanpan and with one or two Dutch ovens from Le Creuset. And buy a Lodge cast iron skillet for cooking steaks indoors.
musicagogo

Post by musicagogo »

We love to cook and like to think of ourselves as connoisseurs (lol, really common sewers) and over the years we accrued various sets- Allclad, calphalon, Staub (cut above and more expensive then Le Creuset). Our best purchase (and what we will putchase again when we move to a LCOL area and toss out a lot of our “stuff”) is a stainless steel copper layered Costco full set. Saves you a ton of $$$ and is fantastic.
Opalmanta

Post by Opalmanta »

Farberware was my first "set" of cookware and still going strong after almost 50 years. Handles take a beating in the dishwasher but all still intact. I've ditched the original 8" skillet and replaced with a 10" non stick oxo. LOVE my 6qt Lodge dutch oven, esp at $40 from Costco a year ago. If I didn't already have a 12" skillet, I'd definitely go for the all clad. I think OP's choice will be fine, but an additional skillet and Dutch oven will give additional options. But I would not pay $400 for the LeCreuset dutch oven.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:10 pm All Clad. Buy individual pieces. Don't buy sets. Supplement your core All Clad collection with one or two nonstick skillets from Scanpan and with one or two Dutch ovens from Le Creuset. And buy a Lodge cast iron skillet for cooking steaks indoors.
+1 on the sets.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Opalmanta wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:16 pm I would not pay $400 for the LeCreuset dutch oven.
Nor would I. I own multiple Le Creuset pieces, and I've gotten them all on sale. I love them!
Watty

Post by Watty »

ruanddu wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:44 pm We have a gift card to Macy's......
I don't know anything specific about Macy's but the malls and retail brick and mortar stores have really been struggling for the last few years and the pandemic has just made things worse.

Even if you do not use the gift card on the kitchenware I would still use it ASAP just in case they get into bankruptcy like so many other stores have.
Watty

Post by Watty »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:10 pm And buy a Lodge cast iron skillet for cooking steaks indoors.
+1

I prefer cast iron seared steak to BBQ steak once I started cooking it that way. Seared chicken breasts are also really good.

I have this cast iron combo that can be used as both a skillet or dutch oven. It is a good size for two people but would be a bit small if you have several kids.

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Cooker-Pre ... 176&sr=8-5

It also is not very expensive so if you find that you are not using it you can just give it to someone.
LuckBeALady

Post by LuckBeALady »

We bought a 4 piece All Clad set (plus lids) in 1996. We use all the pieces on a frequent basis- DH cooks several nights a week and the pans still look great. DH says the even heat distribution is excellent.

Nonstick is another story- have never found anything very durable. We just buy new nonstick skillets every couple of years.
mkc

Post by mkc »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:26 pm
Opalmanta wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:16 pm I would not pay $400 for the LeCreuset dutch oven.
Nor would I. I own multiple Le Creuset pieces, and I've gotten them all on sale. I love them!
Me neither! Mine came from Tuesday Morning. They got the discontinued colors from Williams-Sonoma and I don't think I paid more than $99 for one, including a 9 qt. I've since seen them at Homegoods/TJMaxx and about that same price if you wait for them to end up on the clearance shelves.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Buy what you think will work, and then don't be afraid/too cheap to curate it up to what you actually use and need, as you figure that out. It really does make a difference to step into the kitchen knowing that you will enjoy the experience. Give away things that may still be useful to others, and throw the rest away.

I see recommendations for both 3qt and 4qt saucepans, 10in and 12in skillets. The 4qt and 12in are recommended by Cooks Illustrated (CI). They are focused on cooking for families and gatherings. As a single or duo, the 3qt and 10in may be more suitable. It depends what you cook and how much. Four servings are easier and often better to do in a 12in skillet than a 10in skillet.

As a single, I have a high-sided 13.5" skillet that was wonderful to cook large 7-bone pot roasts. I will probably soon give it away, since they don't sell those around here anymore. They used to be 69 cents a pound, no profit margin I guess.

CI has described a 1qt saucepan as "useless". I beg to differ. It's the perfect size for heating up cans or jars of soup, chili, or gravy. I don't do much "cooking" in it however. The 2qt saucepan is perfect for boiling small pasta shapes for 1 or 2 people, but inadequate for spaghetti unless you break it. I had a 12qt stockpot but it was too large for me. It took forever to boil and I don't have that many mouths to feed. 3qt saucepan is great if you add stuff to a jar of pasta sauce. A 6qt stockpot is plenty big for up to a pound of spaghetti.

CI recommends a 7qt Dutch oven. I like a 5qt. Still big enough for all but the largest chickens. 4 qts of beans or chili in a 5qt pot is too much for me as it is.

Le Creuset does stain on the inside. However, I had a cast iron Dutch oven and for whatever reason that I could never figure out, it would not take a proper seasoning despite many tries using many methods. I ended up throwing it away and getting the Le Creuset, which I have been very happy with other than the staining. My cast iron skillet is excellent for a lot of things and has stayed properly seasoned since I first got it 25+ years ago.
Last edited by tooluser on Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
malabargold

Post by malabargold »

Costco’s Kirkland Copper Core
mkc

Post by mkc »

tooluser wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:59 pm The 2qt saucepan is perfect for boiling small pasta shapes for 1 or 2 people, but inadequate for spaghetti unless you break it. I had a 12qt stockpot but it was too large for me. It took forever to boil and I don't have that many mouths to feed. 3qt saucepan is great if you add stuff to a jar of pasta sauce. A 6qt stockpot is plenty big for up to a pound of spaghetti.
I don't recall where I saw it (most likely a CreateTV cooking show or J.Kenji Lopez-Alt), but I have taken to cooking long, thin pasta in a 12" skillet. Pasta, a little salt (a lot less than in a stock pot), cover with water plus about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Bring to a gentle boil or hard simmer. Stir often. Much faster than a stockpot since you don't need to wait for the water to boil and it saves water. If pasta takes 10 minutes when dropped into boiling water, it takes about 11 minutes from cold with this method. I do the same with small pasta shapes but use a saucepan and stir much more frequently (and sometimes need to add more water).
Bogle7

Le Creuset

Post by Bogle7 »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:59 pmHow exactly is Le Creuset better than Lodge, other than costing 4x as much?
We own both.
I prefer the inside bottom radius of the Le Creuset.
A minor element which makes the cooking experience a lot better.

And, at age 72, I am almost completely insensitive to price.
When your lovely wife buys a Bottega Veneta bag for €2900, why worry about the price of a pan?

Buy what makes you happy.
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash »

Made In has some nice pans. Stainless and carbon steel are top notch.
Mindbender

Post by Mindbender »

+1 for All Clad. Was gifted a skillet for my wedding 15 years ago and it’s hands down the most used and loved pan in our house. It’s outlasted tons of cheaper stainless and non stick options. Just recently bought some more.
RevFran

Post by RevFran »

The all-clad stainless skillet with lid is the best kitchen purchase I have ever made. I hemmed and hawed for a while because of the price, and now only wish I’d bought it sooner!
marielake

Post by marielake »

I was given a gift of $500 a few years back and decided to use it in for new pots and pans. The best advice I got at a kitchen store was not to buy a set, but buy pieces based on how you cook. My favorite purchase has been a Staub dutch oven, followed by a Swiss diamond pan and a Revereware pan for rice. Since then I bought a new stove with induction stove top. Not all my pans work with new oven. Bought Trementon for new stove.
rob

Post by rob »

We have found the higher quality ones from Ikea just great (they must be quality because they come in little cloth like baggies :-) ). The regular variety are ok but just ok. They work great on induction but also regular electric.

I would also second the lodge enameled cast iron - although they do tend to chip a little on edges over time and I would expect paying for the french brands to avoid that (but don't know).
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

Counter point to the all clad love. It's good, but the Cuisinart version is just As good and cheaper. And there are much better options out there albeitfor more money in most cases, but not all.

Post by 123 »

The cookware that generally wears out the fastest from our experience is non-stick/teflon, particularly skillets/frying pans. Our experience is that, with careful daily use, their lifetime is usually 2 - 3 years before the non-stick coating begins to fail.

We've got a mix of stainless steel pots and pans, some we bought and some inherited. Many of them are 20 - 50 years old and they don't seem to wear, regardless of brand (or the absence of any brand). They tend to fail because any wooden or plastic compound handles burn or loosen. It's usually better to wash them by hand to avoid the drying and heating cycles in the dishwasher.

The set you identified is probably as good as any for the price.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
teCh0010

Post by teCh0010 »

rob wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:25 pm We have found the higher quality ones from Ikea just great (they must be quality because they come in little cloth like baggies :-) ). The regular variety are ok but just ok. They work great on induction but also regular electric.

I would also second the lodge enameled cast iron - although they do tend to chip a little on edges over time and I would expect paying for the french brands to avoid that (but don't know).
I found a French made Dutch oven to have a more durable enamel than lodge.

We had a lodge, the enamel chipped off inside in a couple of spots within three years. We replaced it with a Kirkland brand from Costco, it was made in France so it either came out of the staub or le cruset factory. 10 years with no chips.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Looks like it's the pile on regarding sets.

We bought sets of knives and pots decades ago, we use them all, alot.

Just pick up a decent set at Costco, it's not rocket science.
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

https://www.zwilling.com/us/demeyere/

I have several pieces from the Atlantis line. Heavy, durable, excellent performance, and no interior rivets which can trap food particles.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

ruanddu wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:44 pm Hello,

My wife and I need to replace our kitchen pots and pans set. We cook with standard electric heat stove (not induction). I have heard differing opinions on cast iron, stainless steel and ceramic. At the end of the day, just leaves me confused to what to actually buy. We have a gift card to Macy's so were looking there and found the set below. We are open to buying elsewhere, so if you have a product recommendation we would be grateful. Hoping to buy one set to tackle most of our cooking, but if that's not recommended, we are open to buying separate pieces too.

Here is set we are considering:

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/farb ... oryID=7552

Thank you!
I think it will help to know what sizes of pots/pans you currently have and whether you like to change them.
eastwayroad

Post by eastwayroad »

Agree about short lifespan of non-sticks, I replace my omelette pan every couple of years.
For the rest, I’m still going strong with the heavy copper saucepans I bought in Paris 40 years ago.
My best ever investment.
stoptothink

Re: Le Creuset

Post by stoptothink »

Bogle7 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:23 pm
stoptothink wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:59 pmHow exactly is Le Creuset better than Lodge, other than costing 4x as much?
We own both.
I prefer the inside bottom radius of the Le Creuset.
A minor element which makes the cooking experience a lot better.

And, at age 72, I am almost completely insensitive to price.
When your lovely wife buys a Bottega Veneta bag for €2900, why worry about the price of a pan?

Buy what makes you happy.
"Makes the cooking experience better", how? For someone looking at an entire set for $130 (like the OP), I'm not sure $300+ individual pans are likely an option. We can easily afford it too, but that doesn't mean I am spending several times more for something with no functional difference (that I can tell); the ROI in terms of increase in QOL per $ is just nonexistent (for me).

I'm in total agreement with a few others, this isn't rocket science. Other than non-stick frying pans, even the most budget items should last you decades. As someone who cooks essentially 100% of their meals at home, I've never used a pan and said to myself: wow, this isn't a good "cooking experience".
Topic Author
ruanddu

Post by ruanddu »

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. Will take a look at your recommendations.
Millennial

Post by Millennial »

teCh0010 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:00 pm We use a combo of options.

The only set we bought was Calphalon Tri-Ply, but calphalon now isn’t built like calphalon 15 years ago.

We also mix in two non stick omelet pans, an 8 quart enameled cast iron Dutch oven, and an all clad grill pan for fish.

Look at the handles, how they are attached, how they fit your hand, do they have helper handles on the bigger ones, and can they go oven to stovetop?
Ha this is a mirror of my kitchen, except we also have (and use a lot) a 12" cast iron skillet.

Our Calphalon tri-plys are 9 years old, so I am not sure which side of your line that puts them on, but I have absolutely no complaints. They are 100% as good as All-Clad IMO, at less than half the price.

Our LC 8-Qt dutch oven and a 12" Lodge CI skillet are the real workhorses of the kitchen.

After trying a few grill pans, I have settled on a 10" Cuisinart Cast Iron pan that works very well. We use ours for fish and finishing sous vide meats.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

I'm not big on spending much time in the kitchen. So, I thought it was worthwhile to buy a slide-in induction stove/convection oven from the Sears scratch'n'dent store. If I could make a hot breakfast for my son in ten minutes instead of 20, my life was better, especially since the stove gives me hot flashes. Stainless steel Calphalon, a cast-iron skillet for Dutch babies, and a good non-stick skillet have done the job for me (all from T.J. Maxx). I would never buy a set; my home is small and I curate my possessions carefully.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Last edited by retire2022 on Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shunkman

Post by shunkman »

We have come to love our Matfer Bourgeat carbon steel frying pan. It gets more use than our cast iron, All-Clad stainless, and Teflon frying pans combined.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Buy what you need as you need it. Over time you'll accumulate what you need. Sets are overkill.
femgineer

Post by femgineer »

I really like Demeyere and Fissler Profi. I don't like rivets. Demeyere is thicker and more even heating (and thus heavier) than most clad lines. Fissler profi is very thick disc bottom and more cost effective, typically. Also, Kuhn Rikon pressure cookers do double duty as stock pots/sauce pans.

For enameled cast iron, Staub .. hands down. The Le Creuset I owned chipped and stained. Staub pans that are > 10 years old look brand new.

I have a lot of (non-ECI) Lodge cast iron for high-heat applications (and the oven). Carbon steel warped and spun on my glass cooktop (never again).
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

For daily cooking I have used All Clad for 20+ years--regular stainless steel and also the copper core pans. I'll be leaving those to my kids.

For dutch ovens I use a couple huge Le Creusets--big enuf for a whole chicken and lots of potatoes/carrots.

I have been trying this year Le Mauviel carbon steel pans in lieu of non-stick pans. I like them, tho they take a bit of work to keep clean and non-stick.

And of course some Lodge cast iron, including a couple dutch overs for baking bread.
Purdue

Post by Purdue »

My wife and I just replaced the mostly Calphalon pots and pans we received for our wedding 24 years ago. Did some research and relpaced with All-Clad D5. Watch for sales at homeandcooksales.com. They are factory seconds, but I've never noticed a flaw with any of the ones we purchased. We love them so far.
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

rockstar wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:12 pm Buy what you need as you need it. Over time you'll accumulate what you need. Sets are overkill.
Agreed. We bought a small set of All Clad a long time ago and have just been adding since--different manufacturers. Pots and pans don't have to have matching logos.