What are you getting your s/o for the holidays?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
iamlucky13

Re: What are you getting your s/o for the holidays?

Post by iamlucky13 »

NotWhoYouThink wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:22 am We don't do much gift giving. But I'll be driving him to his chemo treatments, and if he needs something to make life more comfortable because of side effects I'll get that for him.
That certainly is an important gift. I wish all the best for both of you!
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

angelescrest wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:07 am For us, it’s usually something we know the other wants, but is on the fence with whether or not they want to spend the money on it. Anywhere in the $50-200 range or so.
That's my intent, but it always ends up more easily said than done. My wife tends to buy on her own initiative the things that I know she wants. When I branch out from known wants to things I think she wants, it usually ends up that the thought is appreciated, but the item goes unused.

One surprisingly big success, though, was a wireless charging station for her phone - a little convenience that wasn't on her radar but stood out for recognizing (although only speculatively on my part) and addressing her regular annoyance at dealing with plugging in.

For my part, when I'm interested in an item for a hobby, I tend to be overly particular about exactly what I want, which I'm sure makes me hard to shop for. I've tried numerous times to discourage my wife from buying me gifts, but she insists.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

Turning the question around: I’m hoping Santa brings me a s/o this year. :)
catdude

Post by catdude »

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:42 pmI"ll buy her something that will be a gift that keeps on giving...
A pregnant cat? :)
catdude | | "I yield to the gentleman for a few feeble remarks." (Congressman Thaddeus Stevens)
midareff

Post by midareff »

Jags4186 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:28 am
midareff wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:02 am
Jags4186 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:52 am
midareff wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:38 am We gave up exchanging gifts and buying for special occasions quite a few years ago. When either of us need something we get it. ... no need to wait for a special date.
What about when you want something?
Same thing .... she wants to build a new custom house on property she bought on the river in Chang Mai so she is. She is convinced we will use it as a vacation home. ... she is more convinced than I am, but happy wife.. you know the rest. I'd like to get a Patek, but then the Rolex I don't wear would have company on the auto winder, so I can't see owning another watch I know I won't wear more than a couple days a year..
The struggle is real. I'd really like to buy an Alarnia I328 but it would likely just sit parked next to the Altinel 65M.
I feel your pain.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

We get what we need or most want throughout the year.
For DW, holidays and other occasions:
An envelope with a big stick of new large "Benjamin Franklin's". :D :D :D

j :D :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
midareff

Post by midareff »

Workaholic wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:33 am
midareff wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:38 am We gave up exchanging gifts and buying for special occasions quite a few years ago. When either of us need something we get it. ... no need to wait for a special date.
Same thing .... she wants to build a new custom house on property she bought on the river in Chang Mai so she is. She is convinced we will use it as a vacation home. ... she is more convinced than I am, but happy wife.. you know the rest. I'd like to get a Patek, but then the Rolex I don't wear would have company on the auto winder, so I can't see owning another watch I know I won't wear more than a couple days a year..
Which Patek? I'd love a Nautilus but that's about as impossible to find as they come.
I'd like an auto-wind Calatrava with hobnail bezel all in 18K white gold including the band in the older style where you can't see a link pattern. All pretty useless in the cell phone age except for men's jewelry.
Ramjet

Post by Ramjet »

So far I have gotten her: hiking boots, a chef knife, and a robot vacuum
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

midareff wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:21 am
Which Patek? I'd love a Nautilus but that's about as impossible to find as they come.
I'd like an auto-wind Calatrava with hobnail bezel all in 18K white gold including the band in the older style where you can't see a link pattern. All pretty useless in the cell phone age except for men's jewelry.
Not so much useless as maybe redundant however I always enjoy wearing a watch. Maybe I'm just old-school but have always appreciated a nice timepiece.

Calatrava's are a bit too formal for my taste but are exceptional timepieces. Currently my daily wear is a Submariner (sans date) as I'm a purist however that GMT Pepsi is screaming my name if I could just find one at msrp.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

Well, I bought my wife a 5.0 Mustang for Christmas last year...not sure I'll be able to match that one this year. Our usual gifts like a trip, or even massages, are obviously out due to COVID this year.

I am thinking about getting a Ms. Pac Man cocktail table video game as the start of a full basement renovation she's been wanting for the house.
hnd

Post by hnd »

a new kitchen, ipad, and cashmere lined yoga pants
JimmyD

Post by JimmyD »

She's been wanting an Apple Watch for years. This will be the year.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Workaholic wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:23 am

Not so much useless as maybe redundant however I always enjoy wearing a watch. Maybe I'm just old-school but have always appreciated a nice timepiece.

Calatrava's are a bit too formal for my taste but are exceptional timepieces. Currently my daily wear is a Submariner (sans date) as I'm a purist however that GMT Pepsi is screaming my name if I could just find one at msrp. I used to have a Presidential with Princess cut diamond bezel and matching ring... found myself being eyed too much by small roving gangs of urban youth so I sold it for what I had in it.
That is a pretty piece no doubt. Have you tried the mint or mint+ route with box and papers? I'm not going to do the Calatrava until my wife finishes the Chang Mai house as I know I'm going to have to pickup a piece of it..... maybe a few million baht. Used to have a Presidential with Princess cut diamond bezel and matching ring but found myself being eyed too much by small groups of roaming urban youths when out wearing it so I sold it for what I had in it.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

midareff wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:56 am
Workaholic wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:23 am

Calatrava's are a bit too formal for my taste but are exceptional timepieces. Currently my daily wear is a Submariner (sans date) as I'm a purist however that GMT Pepsi is screaming my name if I could just find one at msrp. I used to have a Presidential with Princess cut diamond bezel and matching ring... found myself being eyed too much by small roving gangs of urban youth so I sold it for what I had in it.
That is a pretty piece no doubt. Have you tried the mint or mint+ route with box and papers? I'm not going to do the Calatrava until my wife finishes the Chang Mai house as I know I'm going to have to pickup a piece of it..... maybe a few million baht.
I've thought about it but two things have kept me from doing it:

1) I refuse to pay OVER msrp for what is essentially, for all intents and purposes, a used watch.

2) I like to buy from an authorized dealer. I mean yes...the chances of getting a fake with a box and papers are less than 1% but... for a $10K+ purchase I'm just not willing to take that chance.

Good taste in watches! My dad wore a yellow gold Day-Date and it is something I treasure greatly as he has passed away. Not exactly my style but it IS a beautiful watch. Something I will pass on to my kids from their grandfather.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

This thread has been disappointing as I opened it hoping to get some ideas for DW as I am stumped for a change. But hope springs eternal ...

Last year's Christmas exchange between us will be hard to top: We gave each other luggage since ours was getting long in the tooth. Then came coronavirus. We have not used our new luggage at all :?
ChiKid24

Post by ChiKid24 »

lthenderson wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:27 am A Cuisinart Food Processor. It is the gift that keeps on giving... for me anyway.
Do you have a particular model that you like? This is something I was considering for DW?
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:50 pm This thread has been disappointing as I opened it hoping to get some ideas for DW as I am stumped for a change. But hope springs eternal ...

Last year's Christmas exchange between us will be hard to top: We gave each other luggage since ours was getting long in the tooth. Then came coronavirus. We have not used our new luggage at all :?
Get her a Rolex or Patek :D .
dewey

Post by dewey »

+1
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

ChiKid24 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:56 pm
lthenderson wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:27 am A Cuisinart Food Processor. It is the gift that keeps on giving... for me anyway.
Do you have a particular model that you like? This is something I was considering for DW?
I bought one of these for my wife about 20 years ago and it's always worked great

Cuisinart® Custom 14-Cup Food Processor
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Workaholic wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:03 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:50 pm This thread has been disappointing as I opened it hoping to get some ideas for DW as I am stumped for a change. But hope springs eternal ...

Get her a Rolex or Patek :D .
Thanks! Somehow I overlooked those mentioned upthread. I know for a fact she has neither already. :wink:
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

My wife still loves Christmas and all the traditions that go along with it. To not have presents to open on Christmas day from each other would make her very sad indeed. We tend to wrap up and give several small gifts, such as books, music CDs, craft supplies etc. Plus a larger gift or two. We live on a lake so this year she's getting a stand up paddle board.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

ChiKid24 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:56 pm
I got the linked one based off America's Test Kitchen review of food processors. We have an old KitchenAid one that has served us well for a long long time but the second bowl (we replaced it once a long time back) is starting to fall apart again. I could probably get another bowl for it but decided to upgrade instead. My wife also hinted that she wanted a Cuisinart too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AXM4WV2
Calico

Post by Calico »

I am stumped on what to get my boyfriend. He's the type of person that, if he wants something, he buys it for himself. I've gotten him gifts in the past, but it's always been a struggle. He just doesn't need anything or really seem to want anything except "more time to do things" because his business eats up most of his day.

He tells me I don't need to get him anything. I am seriously considering a donation to St Jude in his name/have them send him a card since that's his favorite charity.
NotWhoYouThink wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:22 am We don't do much gift giving. But I'll be driving him to his chemo treatments, and if he needs something to make life more comfortable because of side effects I'll get that for him.
I hope he does better than expected and thrives. Hang in there, both of you!
rich126

Post by rich126 »

mancich wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:20 am DW wants an iPad with the Apple pencil. Supposedly she will she use this when taking notes for work. We'll see :D
I got my GF an Apple watch for her birthday months ago. There was a good sale on it. Wasn't sure how much it would get used. Turns out all the time. And often just to find her phone :)

But being able to receive calls while she doesn't have her phone right on her (it is elsewhere in the house) or when she is doing something outside is also a big convenience. So you never know.

My work doesn't allow for one in the office so I've avoided getting one. I'll wait until retirement.
prairieman

Post by prairieman »

We decided to buy each other new cross country skis, boots, and poles.
My favorite gift from her came two years ago: a subscription to Audible. She didn’t say it was for one year so I still have it and use it almost every day.
“As long as the roots are not severed, all is well.” Chauncey Gardner
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

A membership in AAA+, and a pocket monthly calendar. (he's not electronically-inclined).
He's getting me a pair of UGG slippers.
Neither of us need anything.
westie

Post by westie »

we swore off giving Xmas gifts to each other last year but when I was out the other day I couldn't resist picking up some new vacuum cleaner bags so she'll have something to open Christmas morning.
Carpenterant

Post by Carpenterant »

In a forum that is particularly dry and reserved in the humor department, I am getting my wife a vacuum and some socks.

It’s kind of a chauvinist joke but mostly serious.

Edit: almost forgot the lefse board, cooking instrument for the offended
annu

Post by annu »

Being at home, I have been painstakingly going through our albums(physical pictures), my wife has like 30 of these 50+ photo albums, spanning last 12 years or so especially since our kids came along, and on the back of (like 90% done so far) them, have been researching and putting places, dates/times and some little sentences around what we were upto at the time.

Have been working from home so has kept me busy as well, but I think she will probably like this as we have had no free time this year and hardly any vacation time off
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Nothing.
Already bought/gave goods months ago.
A militant atheist.
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

A box of cigars.
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:42 pm I"ll buy her something that will be a gift that keeps on giving...
Jelly of the month club?
Hebell

Post by Hebell »

We go out and eat ice cream. Or, rather, pick it up and eat it safely at the park. Big spenders, we are.
manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 »

Married 17 years and we never buy gifts for each other, only for kids.
peetsperk

Post by peetsperk »

I enjoy giving her gifts. This year had local artist paint a portrait of our home. In addition, plan to put a package under the tree with a good bottle of french wine and a note telling her we're going to Paris after she retires next summer. It's something we can look forward to once the current craziness is over.
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

My wife and I get each other books every year, which suits us.
Pigeon

Post by Pigeon »

matti wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:14 pm My wife got a new (to her) car this fall, so I'm going to get her a set of Husky floor liners.
Along the same lines, DH's new Forester is arriving Friday after his car was totaled by a kid who was probably texting. I'm ordering his festive Weather Tech floor liners. I'll probably also get him some gizmos for his bike.

I can't think of anything I want.
shorty313

Post by shorty313 »

A hammock for the deck we built this summer. A weighted blanket to see if that improves his poor sleeping. Some other odds and ends for grooming and consuming.
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

SO requested a car, jokingly. So I purchased a matchbox car for $1.

We had been watching tv and saw one of those "new car with a bow on top" commercials and wondered if anyone actually buys/receives a car like that. It certainly doesn't happen in our social circle. (It's not real, it's tv...)
ML 59

Post by ML 59 »

The last few years included a DeWalt Planer and a Grizzly table saw. This year I've already picked up 8 - 11SP Vice Grip Clamps and I'm deciding on which oscillating drum sander. We both look at tools as toys!

She has a woodworking/crafts shop that's also quite handy for me. She's tired of borrowing my "dirty" old welding SPs.

Plus I'm looking for a get-a-way in a remote cabin in the Texas Hill Country to start the new year. :happy
2marshmallow

Post by 2marshmallow »

I can tell you what not to get, courtesy of my dad way back when. He got my mother an unasked for exercise gizmo - basically a wheel with axial handles on it. The idea is that you kneel and grab it by the handles on either side of the wheel and place it on the floor in front of you. Then push it away so that your weight is borne by your knees and the wheel as you stretch out, putting a lot of strain on your abdominals. Nothing says I think your chubby like one of those. They remained married, but just barely.

2marshmallow
checkyourmath

Post by checkyourmath »

Kendra Scott
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

2marshmallow wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:25 pm I can tell you what not to get, courtesy of my dad way back when. He got my mother an unasked for exercise gizmo - basically a wheel with axial handles on it. The idea is that you kneel and grab it by the handles on either side of the wheel and place it on the floor in front of you. Then push it away so that your weight is borne by your knees and the wheel as you stretch out, putting a lot of strain on your abdominals. Nothing says I think your chubby like one of those. They remained married, but just barely.

2marshmallow
I've actually purchased one of these (an ab wheel) for my wife for her birthday in the past and it was a very appreciated gift that has been used weekly for years. Know your significant other.
avidlearner

Post by avidlearner »

Kindle paperwhite and diamond earrings
forgeblast

Post by forgeblast »

Building a walnut slab table, and chairs for the kitchen table. (the chairs will take a longer time). Also getting a family gift of an outdoor movie projector and speaker so we can have friends over and use the outdoor pizza oven.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

forgeblast wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:53 am Building a walnut slab table, and chairs for the kitchen table. (the chairs will take a longer time).
Now that is a gift. Wish I had skills like that.
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

I am buying her a golf simulator. The gift that she can use all year around and I wont find golf balls when I am mowing the yard or on the beach...maybe...
OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:17 am
forgeblast wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:53 am Building a walnut slab table, and chairs for the kitchen table. (the chairs will take a longer time).
Now that is a gift. Wish I had skills like that.
Bravo, anything made by your hands is great...
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

Woodshark wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:56 pm My wife still loves Christmas and all the traditions that go along with it. To not have presents to open on Christmas day from each other would make her very sad indeed. We tend to wrap up and give several small gifts, such as books, music CDs, craft supplies etc. Plus a larger gift or two. We live on a lake so this year she's getting a stand up paddle board.
Hard to wrap a SUP! Better get extra paper and ribbons! :D :D
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

Not our holiday. For birthdays I usually get her jewelry from the Sundance catalog. Besides that, I’ve order some materials from The History List related to the Mayflower since she is a descendant of at least four of the original settlers.