SE US road trip-SC to FL to TX to OK then east

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
4nursebee

SE US road trip-SC to FL to TX to OK then east

Post by 4nursebee »

Hello and thank you in advance for any ideas you bring to the discussion.

All of our previous road trips have been from mid east coast of US to the north, principally PA. We expect early 2021 to head south for the first time, purely for fun and relaxation. I'm not sure how much we will do so, but normally on a long road trip but we enjoy taking old roads through towns, not the modern fast ones (for example route 301 instead of route 95). We are like dogs with our head out the car taking the world in. Things we have enjoyed stopping at when we travel: great 2nd hand shoppes, ethnic grocers, great local restaurants, fabric and fiber art stores, local bookstores (indiebound.org), card shoppes, unique museums, and college towns (for walking, shopping, eating).

Any suggestions on what to include in this trip?
Last edited by 4nursebee on Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pale Blue Dot
livesoft

Re: SE US road trip-SC to FL to TX to OK then east

Post by livesoft »

In October - November 2020, I drove from North Carolina down through SC, GA, AL, MS, LA, TX, then up to OK and east to AR. I didn't get to FL though.

I don't have any recommendations except maybe to take your guns and try them out at a local shooting range in every state.

A highlight of my trip was driving by a strip shopping center in the middle of rural America that had only 2 stores in it: Family Dollar and Dollar Tree right chock-a-block next to each other.

I just put this here to follow the thread. I have lived in GA, AL, LA, AR, and TX.

You may wish to stay in Hot Springs, AR for a day or so. A very interesting place.
Last edited by livesoft on Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

I should add one other item. I am 30+ hours into learning to fly. If you know of places that would be good to see from the air as a student pilot or as a test run of planes for sale, speak up. Thus far I've only been in a C172, want to see how my large tall frame fits in other models. I plan on visiting VanBortel in TX. I'm willing to pay for fuel!
Pale Blue Dot
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

4nursebee wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:15 am I should add one other item. I am 30+ hours into learning to fly. If you know of places that would be good to see from the air as a student pilot or as a test run of planes for sale, speak up. Thus far I've only been in a C172, want to see how my large tall frame fits in other models. I plan on visiting VanBortel in TX. I'm willing to pay for fuel!
I don't know about from the air, but one can go to Grandfather Mountain State Park in NC and hike up to the 1978 Cessna plane crash site and stand among the wreckage. https://www.highcountrync.com/play/gran ... 0d93d.html
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Taz

Post by Taz »

The Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, FL (on the Naval Air Station) is top-notch.
The destination matters.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

OP,

How are you traveling? Car? RV? It can make a big difference as you know.

One of our favorite finds in OK was the Museum of Osteology, https://www.skeletonmuseum.com/ near Oklahoma City.

WoodSpinner
Topic Author
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

WoodSpinner wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:20 am OP,

How are you traveling? Car? RV? It can make a big difference as you know.

One of our favorite finds in OK was the Museum of Osteology, https://www.skeletonmuseum.com/ near Oklahoma City.

WoodSpinner

Car.
Pale Blue Dot
gr7070

Post by gr7070 »

Charleston, Savannah, New Orleans.
Topic Author
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

gr7070 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:42 pm Charleston, Savannah, New Orleans.
Yeah New Orleans is on the list. The last time I was there it was 2330 hours, town was deserted.
Pale Blue Dot
gr7070

Post by gr7070 »

livesoft wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:57 am You may wish to stay in Hot Springs, AR for a day or so. A very interesting place.
Definitely an underrated, little city. Nice place.
David S

Post by David S »

Taz wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:30 am The Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, FL (on the Naval Air Station) is top-notch.
+1 on this.
Plus, this is the home of the Blue Angels. If you're lucky, you'll catch then practicing.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Three great places to visit. We enjoyed stopping at a couple of the old southern plantations between Savannah and Charleston when we did a swing through. I enjoyed ferrying out to Ft Sumpter in Charleston and doing a day walking all the Savannah squares (Some nice house tours, restaurants, shops, etc.).

When you say "Early 2021" - how early? We are starting to wonder when we can travel again....
wallygator

Post by wallygator »

4nursebee wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:43 pm
Yeah New Orleans is on the list. The last time I was there it was 2330 hours, town was deserted.
Skip savannah IMHO. Same jist as Charleston but dirty, tons more homeless and some serious Dive bar/restaurants. Do a walking tour in Charleston. Amazing what you can see on a tour that you miss when you walk around on your own. Been to Chuck town 100 times went to Savannah last year and was sooooo disappointed.

Good Luck,

Wally
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

OP,

I love pouring through the Atlas Obscura to find interesting places.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/

I will assume you are Covid aware and realize that restrictions and lockdowns might have to shift your plans.

Also, keep an eye on the weather. If you are traveling in early 2021 you might hit some ice, snow, or other conditions that you need to be aware of.

WoodSpinner
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

Take a listen to S-Town, a podcast from a few years ago. It is set in a small town in rural Alabama. I didn’t know anything about it going in, and it’s probably the best podcast I’ve ever listened to. Possibly one of the best entertainment experiences.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

If it's early in 2021, I expect various mandates at the federal and state level. PA is already ramping them up. Travel will be difficult to navigate for a while.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
22twain

Post by 22twain »

4nursebee wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:49 am college towns
Athens, GA (U of Georgia).
WoodSpinner wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:40 pm I love pouring through the Atlas Obscura to find interesting places.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/
I think that was how I found out about the UFO Welcome Center in Bowman SC.

If you're traveling along the Gulf Coast between Pensacola and New Orleans, consider taking the ferry across the mouth of Mobile Bay.

How far down into Florida are you planning to go? It's a long way from Jacksonville to Miami. DW and I frequently drove between the Carolinas and south Florida to visit my parents while they lived there in retirement. Avoiding the Interstates, we usually took most of a day to north Florida, then another day to south Florida, basically down the middle of the state along US 301 and US 27. The area around Lake Okeechobee is quite different from what most people think of as "Florida."
Help save endangered words! When you write "princiPLE", make sure you don't really mean "princiPAL"!
22twain

Post by 22twain »

On the return leg, you might check out Fort Reno, just off I-40 about a half hour west of Oklahoma City. It was built in the 1870s to counter Native American uprisings. During WWII it housed German and Italian POWs. Now it's an agricultural research station with a museum about its previous history. The fort cemetery has late-1800s cavalrymen buried near some of those POWs.

The nearby town of El Reno has some shops downtown, and a local history museum.
Help save endangered words! When you write "princiPLE", make sure you don't really mean "princiPAL"!