Another coffeemaker thread - Bonavita vs. OXO Brew

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Carson

Another coffeemaker thread - Bonavita vs. OXO Brew

Post by Carson »

I'm finally giving up the french press and waffling between these two machines - similar price range, brew time, and footprint. The OXO one is the new version, the previous one was SCA certified. I think that I could rig the Bonavita up to use a remote on the outlet to turn it on from bed (yes I've reached new heights of needing coffee as soon as my feet hit the ground)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H9G93WK/re ... UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076PFMRGX/?c ... _lig_dp_it
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.
RDB

Re: Another coffeemaker thread - Bonavita vs. OXO Brew

Post by RDB »

Can not speak to the OXO. We had the Bonavita for a couple of years and although it was great, it started to have issues. Would turn off and stop brewing after a few seconds. We got rid of it and bought the Technivorm Moccamaster. It is amazing, and the parts can be purchased individually, if something minor falters you can just replace that part.
Old Sage(brush)

Post by Old Sage(brush) »

I recently replaced our old machine with a Braun Brewsense and have been very happy with it. Simple, good coffee.
NewMoneyMustBeSmart

Post by NewMoneyMustBeSmart »

Carson wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:07 am I'm finally giving up the french press and waffling between these two machines - similar price range, brew time, and footprint. The OXO one is the new version, the previous one was SCA certified. I think that I could rig the Bonavita up to use a remote on the outlet to turn it on from bed (yes I've reached new heights of needing coffee as soon as my feet hit the ground)

I can't comment on your two choices. But since this is the Internet I will answer a question you didn't ask.

The cool kids all swear by this: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=moccamaster

I had this and it was very good: https://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/brevi ... so-machine

We now use this and it is excellent: https://www.mieleusa.com/e/countertop-c ... 10662840-p

We didn't really go to Starbucks or their clones except when we travelled, but from time to time she would. The coffee we get with the Miele and the Breville is at least 50% better, so we decided to believe that the +/- $2k price tag was worth replacing Starbucks or Peets or whichever for 3 years.
-- | Few are those who see with their own eyes and feel with their own hearts - Einstein
DurangoWino

Post by DurangoWino »

Love our Mocha Master and Virtuoso grinder. They are not cheap but looking forward to many years of use. We use the 10 cup one with the metal carafe. On trips we make the coffee then head out and the carafe keeps our coffee hot for hours. Love it.
matthewbarnhart

Post by matthewbarnhart »

We have a Bonavita at my studio and it's the best automatic coffee I've ever had. Almost as good as a well-executed pour-over.

Before you ditch the French Press, however, have you checked out James Hoffman's brew guide for it? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st571DYYTR8
canadianbacon

Post by canadianbacon »

Carson wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:07 am I'm finally giving up the french press and waffling between these two machines - similar price range, brew time, and footprint. The OXO one is the new version, the previous one was SCA certified. I think that I could rig the Bonavita up to use a remote on the outlet to turn it on from bed (yes I've reached new heights of needing coffee as soon as my feet hit the ground)

I have the Bonavita. It's good but hasn't rocked my world or anything. I don't roast my own beans, I vary between store brand and fancy fair trade beans when I feel like splurging, and grind before brewing.

One complaint, the switch is flaky. Sometimes you hear it click twice, as if on and then immediately off. I have to keep hitting it until I only hear a single click. Then I get my coffee. The day may come when it doesn't work at all. By then I'll probably want something else :-P

The OXO looks like they changed the switch for a button so maybe somebody got a clue.
Bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered.
Mlm

Post by Mlm »

I purchased the OXO last week. I'm very happy with it and it doesn't take up a lot of room on the countertop.
schachtw

Post by schachtw »

Purchased the OXO 8 cup coffee maker about 9 months ago. Very pleased with quality of coffee it brews. As noted, doesn’t take much counter space, and nicely designed.
mtwhmemn

Post by mtwhmemn »

We've had the Bonavita like the one you linked for just over 5 years except ours has the built in timer. I see the ones like mine with the timer are unavailable for some reason...looks like it may be discontinued. Anyway it is a good coffee maker. Some good features are the pre-infusion mode plus you can take this thing apart and put the pieces in the dishwasher. I've descaled mine several times with the special powder I bought on Amazon...need to do it again, need to do it more often. My wife uses the Bonavita every morning. I've become more of a snob and fresh grind my beans every morning and use a pour over, a Hario V60. Cheap as dirt and the best coffee I've ever made at home. I like Starbucks medium and my coffee tastes just like Starbucks I get when I go to Starbucks occasionally. Just like it. You can buy a Hario V60 for less than $10. I do use an electric kettle to boil fast, ~$40 for a good one. Only downside to it is it takes 4-5 minutes to do it right. I like the idea I'm drinking fresh water that hasn't gone through a machine poured through a fresh filter and fresh coffee through clean everything right into my cup. Just my .02.
LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood »

I writing this sipping coffee brewed on a Bonavita. I've been very pleased with it. It brews 50 oz of coffee very quickly and has a "bloom" setting if that's important to you. That price ($149) from Amazon is pretty high. I've seen them as low as $99.
Topic Author
Carson

Post by Carson »

NewMoneyMustBeSmart wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:15 am But since this is the Internet I will answer a question you didn't ask.
Since this is the internet, I've abandoned the post for a few days. :D

Thanks for all the responses. I'm feeling extra miserly these days and the $150 is about the max I want to spend. Also, I have only 10 square feet of countertop space and no dishwasher, so small footprint and minimal parts is a must.

We're not super coffee crazy. I grew up drinking Taster's choice, and we're at a happy medium grinding beans purchased from Costco and making it in a thermal walled french press. It's good coffee! But I'm really tired of scooping grounds out of the bottom and setting waiting for the kettle to boil, blooming the grounds, then brewing, topping off with water so we each get our full cup. And there seems to be a lot of variability based on ambient temp and humidity in our kitchen. I want to blearily wander over to the coffee maker and push a button (or activate a remote from bed) and have less clean-up the next day at dish time.

It seems like the Bonavita has been around a bit longer but the OXO is well reviewed by you all as well. I guess it will just come down to a closer look at what parts each one has and the overall footprint.
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

I had a silly Ninja machine that I bought around a month ago. I was satisfied till I started to taste burnt coffee aftertaste with every cup. This post made me take the leap, so I returned the machine and bought an Oxo 8 cup machine yesterday from Target (on sale now, look it up). I had a couple of coupons as well so I ended up paying almost the same as the Ninja machine (around $85!). I have just bought it yesterday, so can't give much feedback, but so far, I can feel the difference in quality, and man, the coffee now tastes great again! Now I understand why the SCA approval thing is important. I liked that I can only brew one cup without having to use the carafe. Just use the correct cone, the smaller filter, press the button and turn the switch, and put your own mug instead of a whole carafe, and you are done. No need to wash the pot since it wasn't used.
Can't speak about Bonavita, haven't tried that one.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
Topic Author
Carson

Post by Carson »

BogleMelon wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:24 am This post made me take the leap, so I returned the machine and bought an Oxo 8 cup machine yesterday from Target (on sale now, look it up). I had a couple of coupons as well so I ended up paying almost the same as the Ninja machine (around $85!).
Glad you are liking it. I am leaning towards the Oxo as we'll be replacing a tassimo machine in the footprint (used for guests and occasional afternoon pick-me-up) so I like being able to adjust the size of the OXO brew.

What is the brew time for the Oxo 8 Cup - like if I am doing 5 cups (assume that is 30 oz of coffee)
hnd

Post by hnd »

we bought the OXO grinder and i've not had a better grinder. we will look at their maker once the cusineart dies.
vineviz

Post by vineviz »

I have that Bonavita model (and I love it wholeheartedly) but I think it would be challenging to rig it up to turn on remotely or via a timer. If the machine is disconnected from power and then reconnected (e.g. the outlet is powered off by remote) it will not start brewing automatically: the switch on the machine needs to be manually engaged.

Additionally, the pre-infusion feature can be set as the default but gets reset to "off" any time the machine loses power (e.g. is unplugged).
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

Carson wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:30 am
BogleMelon wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:24 am This post made me take the leap, so I returned the machine and bought an Oxo 8 cup machine yesterday from Target (on sale now, look it up). I had a couple of coupons as well so I ended up paying almost the same as the Ninja machine (around $85!).
Glad you are liking it. I am leaning towards the Oxo as we'll be replacing a tassimo machine in the footprint (used for guests and occasional afternoon pick-me-up) so I like being able to adjust the size of the OXO brew.

What is the brew time for the Oxo 8 Cup - like if I am doing 5 cups (assume that is 30 oz of coffee)
It makes a full pot within very little time, perhaps 2 minutes or so. The thing is it pauses between water flushes so to maintain specific water weight and temperature on the ground coffee. In other words, it seems it knows what it is doing, so a minute longer or so wouldn't be due to it is "slow" but rather because it tries to maintain the SCA standards. Again, I haven't tested enough to be 100% sure that it is good enough, but so far it seems a nice addition to my kitchen.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
Topic Author
Carson

Post by Carson »

Thanks both!

Sounds like the OXO is fast enough, and has that edge of flexibility with the smaller cup option.

I appreciate the electrical feedback on the Bonavita, that would be the only reason I would go for that one and it sounds like it wouldn't work as I had hoped.

Now to check for a deal over the weekend.