in-ground basketball hoop reviews

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mookie

in-ground basketball hoop reviews

Post by mookie »

I am buying an in-ground basketball hoop for my driveway. I am planning to buy it from this company for $2400 including installation. Has anyone comparison-shopped for an in-ground hoop or have this particular brand and can comment on its quality?
https://superiorplay.com/product/basket ... oview-660/
NESF

Re: in-ground basketball hoop reviews

Post by NESF »

Can't speak for that particular brand. We have Goalrilla, for about five years. Looks like you chose a 6x6 pole - good choice, sturdy, no swaying! The black paint faded, and the foam cushions lasted about three years before the elements got the better of them. No plans to replace them. DS (now 11) didn't really take to it like I'd envisioned - oh well.
muddlehead

Post by muddlehead »

My first question is - are you anticipating players dunking? If yes, go w/it. $2400 isn't a lot if you have the SS. If no, because the players will be too young for awhile or ... get something cheaper at the outset and go from there.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

If you're absolutely positive that it's going to be heavily used--your kid is on a travel/club team, you and a bunch of friends have twice-weekly pickup games, etc--seems like a quality unit that would last. Absent that, I'd be looking to spend WAY less. When I was younger, we put in a basic adjustable Porter, which I think we paid $189 for (probably $500 in today's dollars), and it withstood many years of neighborhood use, and plenty of dunking by me and my teenage friends (did not get a lot of adult use).

If my son had more than a casual interest in basketball (he doesn't), I'd probably be looking at something like this, for $600: https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/li ... rndcrnkbke
Nicer than what I had growing up, but still not crazy expensive.
mcamp18

Post by mcamp18 »

Dollar for dollar the basketball goal I purchased about 30 years ago was the best value of any toy I purchased. My children and the neighborhood kids probably played 300+ days a year for over a decade. I bought a "Lifetime" commercial goal system. Sure it was a investment of about $300 back them, but for the hours of enjoyment it provided, I would do it again in a heartbeat. I had to rebuild it and replace some parts about 5 years ago, but it still stands proudly ready for use. The kids really liked that the height of the goal could be easily adjusted to allow for dunking and goaltending.

Mark