Tires for low mileage vehicle

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CABob

Tires for low mileage vehicle

Post by CABob »

I have a 9 year old Nisan Frontier pickup with 20,000 miles on it. It has obviously been driven very little and even less recently with the Covid-19 situation. I am thinking I will be needing tire replacement soon because of age rather than tread wear which I assume is the usual reason. Driving conditions and weather are typically very mild. I guess what I think I need is a cheap but safe tire that is reliable and will last a while. Do any of the forum tire experts have any suggestions as to what I should be considering and looking for?
Bob
Northern Flicker

Re: Tires for low mileage vehicle

Post by Northern Flicker »

If you will continue driving it so lightly, you want tires with very good ratings for traction, and low ratings (to save cost) for tread wear, since you will replace based on calendar year not miles. The other question is driving conditions (paved? dirt/mud? snow? rain?).

Unstudded snow tires (studdable tires to which you don't add the studs) with more open treads can be a good choice for high performance across a wide range of conditions. Their downside is short treadwear life, which is not a concern if you continue driving 2K miles/yr.
Risk is not a guarantor of return.

Post by 123 »

If you've had good luck with the existing tires I would replace them with the same brand and model if available. With such low mileage and likely further replacement due to calendar rather than wear it's likely not worthwhile to equip the vehcile with a premium tire, just replacing whatever the vehicle came with is probably the easiest and best choice.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Since the tire contact area (to me) is the most important safety feature that you can control in a car, I always go for tires with the best stopping distance, and that is rarely OEM. Look to TireRack for some ideas to fit your ride.
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

Call this company for advice and good pricing: https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirera ... epage.html
brajalle

Post by brajalle »

Your tires may last longer than you think, you can just inspect them for dry rot and other degradation. Alternatively, take it to be checked out, but realize most shops have an incentive to sell you tires.

I do not have a cheap option necessarily to recommend, but the Nokian WR G4 line is a great series of tires. It has the 3 peaks rating, and more importantly, is a true all season tire. It performs closer to a true winter tire than your standard car tires. There are competitors from the major brands, some of which may be slightly cheaper or on sale or have rebates, do some googling to find some comparisons. The WR G4 is a half step ahead of the competition, as it was released in response to the competitors and with the American market in mind. Nokian does not typically do much in the way of sales though. Cheapest prices I have seen are at Wal Mart and on Amazon. They make both the regular car line and a SUV line. Some sizes have a run flat option, but those run a bit more. Example prices are about $110 for non run flat and $140 for run flat on our Toyota Corolla. 60k tread life warranty. Discount tire only has the SUV version listed, but I would guess they can order the others.

If you do not drive much I would assume it is likely garaged. If not, consider some wheel covers.