WSJ Subscription at $4/month

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sad2

WSJ Subscription at $4/month

Post by sad2 »

https://store.wsj.com/shop/us/us/wsjuel ... 1=APCc9OU1

Rarely do I see a monthly subscription rate from the WSJ (directly from WSJ.com) at this price point.

$4/month for 12 months.

The fine print reads:

When can I cancel?

You may change or cancel your subscription at any time. To change or cancel your subscription, please contact Customer Service at 1-(800)-JOURNAL (568-7625) or 609-514-0870. We do not accept cancellations by mail, email, or by any other means.

My question for the group: How difficult is it to cancel by phone at the end of the one year term?
EHEngineer

Re: WSJ Subscription at $4/month

Post by EHEngineer »

You can use a disposable card with a limited amount of money. the subscription will stop when the charges fail.
Or, you can ... decline to let me, a stranger on the Internet, egg you on to an exercise in time-wasting, and you could say "I'm probably OK and I don't care about it that much." -Nisiprius
Topic Author
sad2

Post by sad2 »

EHEngineer wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:03 pm You can use a disposable card with a limited amount of money. the subscription will stop when the charges fail.

I like that idea. Do you know how to obtain a disposable card? Researching online options to purchase a one-time $48 Visa Gift card entails a $2.95 activation fee.

Is there any way to purchase a disposable card without incurring a fee?
mjs111

Post by mjs111 »

I have subscriptions to WSJ and Barron's. I canceled my Barron's subscription once for a while, using the phone method. There were no problems. They did ask why I was cancelling it and I told them why (price went up too much in one year). After that they went ahead and cancelled it. No hard sell or dragging it out at all.

Mike
testing321

Post by testing321 »

Some people on another site said that it is difficult to cancel over the phone due to very long waits. But it is supposed to be easy to cancel if you use Paypal because you can cancel it on Paypal's website without speaking to anyone.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

This topic is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
Jagger

Post by Jagger »

It's not difficult at all to cancel. Just mark your calendar to call WSJ at 11 months, 3 weeks. 800-568-7625. Tell 'em you don't really use it or read it anymore. They'll try to coax you to continue with another discounted offer, but just say, "Please cancel at the end of my subscription period." That's it.

By the way, wait a couple of days after your subscription ends, Google "cheap WSJ subscriptions," and you'll find even better deals, like $1/month for 3 months, etc. You can sign up again...and again...using this method. No need to pay $39/month!
oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard »

Jagger wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:02 pm It's not difficult at all to cancel. Just mark your calendar to call WSJ at 11 months, 3 weeks. 800-568-7625. Tell 'em you don't really use it or read it anymore. They'll try to coax you to continue with another discounted offer, but just say, "Please cancel at the end of my subscription period." That's it.

By the way, wait a couple of days after your subscription ends, Google "cheap WSJ subscriptions," and you'll find even better deals, like $1/month for 3 months, etc. You can sign up again...and again...using this method. No need to pay $39/month!
Don't wait that long... you better call 2 months in advance. Last time they changed the game a bit and charged my card the full-boat price over 6 weeks prior to my subscription ending. I called, they said nothing they could do. I challenged the charge on my CC, and I won. On top of that, after the 1st week, I never got the paper on the correct day. It was ALWAYS a day late. I decided not to complain too loudly, since it was about the time Covid started. NEVER AGAIN. NOT a good way to retain customers.
YMMV. My experience.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

sad2 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:54 pm https://store.wsj.com/shop/us/us/wsjuel ... 1=APCc9OU1

Rarely do I see a monthly subscription rate from the WSJ (directly from WSJ.com) at this price point.

$4/month for 12 months.

The fine print reads:

When can I cancel?

You may change or cancel your subscription at any time. To change or cancel your subscription, please contact Customer Service at 1-(800)-JOURNAL (568-7625) or 609-514-0870. We do not accept cancellations by mail, email, or by any other means.

My question for the group: How difficult is it to cancel by phone at the end of the one year term?
@ 5:30 Saturday, using the link the price I see is $19.50/month for digital access. No $4/month offer.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

FWIW, my paper edition that is mailed is sometimes a day late. That is on the USPS, not the WSJ.

Maybe since the USPS isn't delivering ballots any longer things will return to normal.

At any rate I have digital access also, so no harm.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

That’s an amazing deal. Thanks for sharing!
TdF fan

Post by TdF fan »

sad2 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:54 pm https://store.wsj.com/shop/us/us/wsjuel ... 1=APCc9OU1

$4/month for 12 months.
Is it $4/month for 12 months or $4/month for 12 weeks?
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

heartwood wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:31 pm

$4/month for 12 months.

The fine print reads:

When can I cancel?

@ 5:30 Saturday, using the link the price I see is $19.50/month for digital access. No $4/month offer.
6:39 Saturday. If I click on the link, I get $19.50/month. If I click the link in an incognito window I get the $4/month offer. Strange,

Great offer!
Magruder

Post by Magruder »

Have one of your kids or grandkids that have an .edu address subscribe at $4 per month!
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

I’m seeing the $4 per month offer. Shows as all access digital no local delivery. Black Friday offer. Doubt I’ll take them up. I’ve got more reading than time.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

sad2 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:54 pm My question for the group: How difficult is it to cancel by phone at the end of the one year term?
When I cancelled WSJ on the phone, I had to get borderline ugly with them.

The operator kept going on and on about how great the WSJ was, and asking why I didn’t want it now when I wanted it at time of subscription. I reverted to answering every question with “Please cancel my subscription now”. I think I said that about 8 times before the operator finally gave up.

Canceling was an entirely unpleasant experience.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
BroIceCream

Post by BroIceCream »

sad2 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:17 pm
EHEngineer wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:03 pm You can use a disposable card with a limited amount of money. the subscription will stop when the charges fail.
I like that idea. Do you know how to obtain a disposable card?
Is there any way to purchase a disposable card without incurring a fee?
Consider ]privacy.com. You can create [several] virtual credit card number, linked to your debit account.
The nice thing is that you can pause/kill the generated card at any time, limit it to a certain $ amount per use/per month/per forever -- and it automatically gets locked to the first merchant that uses it, therefore the card number can't get used elsewhere. you can review all transactions on their website.

It is free to you, and privacy.com gets their slice from the "credit card fees" the merchant pays from the purchase. (that is why it links to your "debit" account).

I use it for some recurring web purchases (ex, ooma, tivo, ring, magazine), or of someone wants a credit card# over the phone - if the card number is hijacked, then my accounts are safe, and can't be used by an eavesdropper. The biggest downside from my perspective is the loss of revenue on my 2% cash back credit card.
diabelli

Post by diabelli »

I'd be interested in a study with the aim of determining whether this common tactic -- easy to sign up online, but to cancel requires a phone call and usually an irritating conversation -- leads to more or less subscribers year to year.

Personally I'd be FAR more likely to sign up for things like the WSJ, knowing that I could cancel easily. The thought of needing to make a phone call and explain myself in order to cancel, parting with 5-10 minutes of time on a probably-busy day, is a powerful deterrent and does keep me from signing up in the first place.
txaggie

Post by txaggie »

Just change your address to somewhere in California. Then you will be able to cancel your subscription online easily. Online services are required by law in California to offer the ability to cancel subscriptions online. I used this trick to cancel my WSJ subscription last year.
Topic Author
sad2

Post by sad2 »

TdF fan wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:57 pm

$4/month for 12 months.
Is it $4/month for 12 months or $4/month for 12 weeks?
$4/month for 12 months.
Topic Author
sad2

Post by sad2 »

Thank you all for the suggestions.
I went ahead and purchased the subscription with my normal credit card.

12 months at $4/month

I'm going to give the company a chance to do right at the time I call to cancel.
If I have any issues with cancelling this time next year, I will keep that in mind for future purchases with this vendor.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

[ quoted post and response removed by admin LadyGeek]

I also took the $4/month offer, and have a gcal entry to cancel. Not sure exactly what it is worth to me, $38/month isn't, $4 is.
truenorth418

Post by truenorth418 »

Years ago I bought a subscription to the paper edition of WSJ - they offered "online included free of charge" - which was great because I was more interested in the online version anyway. This was when they charged over $100/year for a subscription.

Well surprise surprise after a few weeks they ended the "free online" piece and demanded I pay for that separately.

I will never buy a subscription to WSJ again - even at the pathetic $4 rate. They were dishonest with me and I will never forget that.
Last edited by truenorth418 on Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Discussions of dishonest behavior or bypassing the law is totally unacceptable.

I removed a post which suggested bypassing the WSJ paywall.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:23 am Discussions of dishonest behavior or bypassing the law is totally unacceptable.

I removed a post which suggested bypassing the WSJ paywall.
+1
totally agree.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

[Quoted post removed by Flyer24]

If you value the content enough to jump through hoops, why not pay to support its production? Frugality is one thing, but this seems kinda cheap. And "if everyone does it" the service you value will vanish.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

As noted, please stay focused on subscription deals. Do not discuss ways to bypass the paywall.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

So this is for new members. I may need to cancel and come back for $4!

I have mixed feelings regarding this. I don’t want the printed newspaper industry to go away.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

sad2 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:45 am Thank you all for the suggestions.
I went ahead and purchased the subscription with my normal credit card.

12 months at $4/month

I'm going to give the company a chance to do right at the time I call to cancel.
If I have any issues with cancelling this time next year, I will keep that in mind for future purchases with this vendor.
It's really not that hard. I did a trial subscription and then canceled a few months ago. Just had to say no a couple of times when they tried to get me to re-up. Just like canceling a credit card. No big deal.
William Million

Post by William Million »

Honestly, that's a very good deal. I enjoy Barron's. I've been paranoid about not being able to cancel (having heard horror stories), so I use virtual credit cards.

By the way, I take a course each semester at my local community college (personal enrichment). That part-time status qualifies me as a student for subscriptions, which can also be a good deal. Amazon also offered me the student rate for two years (unsolicited). I don't use the student ID for cheaper museum admissions, however, as I want to support those institutions.