Heavy Duty Noise Reducing [Head muffs]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sd323232

Heavy Duty Noise Reducing [Head muffs]

Post by sd323232 »

Guys, can anyone recommend Heavy Duty Noise Reducing Head muffins?

I work from home and would like to have something to completely isolate from outside noise.

Looking for the kind of noise reduction head muffins that i wouldn't be able to hear even if 5 kids were screaming right into my face.
Nicolas

Re: Heavy Duty Noise Reducing Head muffins

Post by Nicolas »

3M Peltor. I bought a pair and they are effective.
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Over-E ... 662&sr=8-1

Note that it states “Industrial/occupational use only; Not for consumer sale or use”. When purchasing on Amazon I had to declare that I was in an occupation that required its use. I don’t know why they have that stipulation. But I didn’t have to prove it. Get the 31 dB attenuation model as it’s the best,
crefwatch

Post by crefwatch »

Years ago, my big-box store sound muffs came with two slim wedges of foam, with slots for eyeglass earpieces. These made a big difference.

I learned at a Fleet Week event that the US Navy frequently requires both foam earplugs and muffs at the same time.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Over the decades, I've had to reduced noise in the office, travel (especially airline travel), at work (jobsites), and in my shop, due to hearing damage and tinnitus. Now, I have to protect my hearing all the time.

What has worked for me greatly and not so greatly:

1. Muffins. They make me gain weight but are very satisfying. Especially chocolate with chocolate chips. Do not help with noise reduction although the bliss makes one not care.

2. Bose noise cancellation: the older models were great but pricey. Now, prices are crazy and results not so. They fall apart.

3. Equipment, maximum noise isolation (tractor, shop, machinery, ATV's) > gushy foam ear plugs and highest thick Peltor over ear muffs that stick so far out it's like Mickey Mouse ears. This is the best to be had but not absolute.
3M Peltor X Series
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
Foam ear plugs: Hearos (get the proper size to fit one's ears)

4. Noise cancellation over ear (ear bud types are nowhere near as good and let in other sound and also are uncomfortable for me)
Far cheaper than Bose and useable results.
The padding on the muffins tend to dry out lst or adhesive goes south after a long time.
H501's
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1
Audio Technica QuietPoint Series

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Heavy Duty Noise Reducing [Hearing protectors]

Post by LadyGeek »

sd323232 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:13 am Guys, can anyone recommend Heavy Duty Noise Reducing Head muffins?
I assume the OP's spell checker had some fun with this. I clarified the thread title as "Head muffs".

If that's not the case, Sandtrap has answered the question.

The OP can change the thread title further by editing the Subject: line in Post #1.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
sd323232

Re: Heavy Duty Noise Reducing [Head muffs]

Post by sd323232 »

:happy :happy :happy lolol, thank you for fixing title, i didnt even notice til now
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

If you want something cheap and effective I've used these for a couple years with my very noisy riding lawnmower and would recommend them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L1 ... UTF8&psc=1
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers
ResearchMed

Re: Heavy Duty Noise Reducing [Hearing protectors]

Post by ResearchMed »

LadyGeek wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:16 pm
sd323232 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:13 am Guys, can anyone recommend Heavy Duty Noise Reducing Head muffins?
I assume the OP's spell checker had some fun with this. I clarified the thread title as "Head muffs".

If that's not the case, Sandtrap has answered the question.

The OP can change the thread title further by editing the Subject: line in Post #1.
And here I was, thinking I was way behind the times (again), being a dinosaur about what to call these "things".
Thanks for saving me from a future query somewhere, about "noise cancelling muffins" :shock:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
stocknoob4111

Post by stocknoob4111 »

Good info, I was looking for something like this as well to mask out a noisy leafblower and also my neighbor's annoying footsteps from upstairs.
wesgreen

Post by wesgreen »

Peltor earmuffs; my model is called "The President". Indispensable for my sanity. Had them for almost 10 years. They've accompanied me on many travels and passed the test of time. Until we become more aware of the damage noise pollution causes they'll be needed.
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

Actually, if you compressed Sandtrap's chocolate muffins against your ears, they would probably attenuate noise as well as anything on the market - and cost less.

But seriously, get a set of Peltors from Amazon (the big black and red ones). You won't make a fashion statement, but they work and are relatively comfortable.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
Topic Author
sd323232

Post by sd323232 »

Nicolas wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:49 am 3M Peltor. I bought a pair and they are effective.
https://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Over-E ... 662&sr=8-1

Note that it states “Industrial/occupational use only; Not for consumer sale or use”. When purchasing on Amazon I had to declare that I was in an occupation that required its use. I don’t know why they have that stipulation. But I didn’t have to prove it. Get the 31 dB attenuation model as it’s the best,
i bought those, too many people recommended. thanks!
gonefishing01

Post by gonefishing01 »

Air-pod Pros have decent noise cancelling and a pair good of noise cancelling over-ear padded headphones (head muffins?) will fit over top. I prefer the Sony WH1000’s over the Bose. Double noise cancelling. I have loud kids too. :D
gr7070

Post by gr7070 »

I've worn a bunch of different things over the years in manufacturing and shooting settings.

The best (passive) item I've found is the disposable foam plugs, inserted properly. They're also the least interfering, least hot, etc.

Add to their use a good pair of muffs (like those linked) is about as good as it gets.

I can't recommend enough the disposable plugs.