Smart thermostat for a small 2 bdr apt?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BogleMelon

Smart thermostat for a small 2 bdr apt?

Post by BogleMelon »

Working from home due to pandemic, DW is home as well raising up our newborn baby, and we are renting 2bdr apartment.
At least one of us is always home because of the baby and pandemic (unless it is a baby's doctor appointment), so temperature scheduling here won't make difference.
The electric/gas company's marketplace is offering both Nest and Ecobee 3 lite at a deep discounts after instant rebates ($29.99 & $39.99).
Should I bother getting one of those? Which one? Or since we are always couple of feet away from the "dump" thermostat, buying a smart one would be considered unnecessary gadget?
Also, bedrooms are almost cooler by 4~6 degrees in the winter, so should that by itself be a reason to buy a smart thermostat and perhaps 2 sensors for the rooms?
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
Zubs

Re: Smart thermostat for a small 2 bdr apt?

Post by Zubs »

I have a Nest for smaller place.

I like it because you can auto schedule the fan and schedule anything else that you want. It also gives you daily runtime hours if you want that info.

But, it won't be an amazing game changer over a dumb thermostat.

You could also look into getting an anemoter, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07J64TCBQ/re ... UTF8&psc=1

It makes it easy to balance the airflow in every room. If you want even airflow you can do that or if you want more airflow in one room you can dial that in as well.
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

Does your lease allow you to change the thermostat?

If so I would get the smart stat and use one temperature sensor in the coldest room (or kid’s room) as needed. That does help.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Nope, you don't need one.

We have one in a 2k square foot house. We set a consistent temp with scheduling and thew Wi-Fi portion is just an added hassle. We only "purchased" because it was free after rebate from the power company. Doesn't add any value for us.
Sgal8713

Post by Sgal8713 »

We have one in our house. The sensors in the kids room are an advantage and letting the temp go down at night and then warm back up 30-60 minutes before wake up time is nice. Vacation mode is cool once you can travel again. I would make sure the lease allows it and that you can take it with you when you leave.

For $40 it is a sufficient incremental improvement that I would do it. But again, it wont be life changing.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Check out ecobee.

They make good products.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
DVA79

Post by DVA79 »

Ecobee has been great and HVAC pros recommend them over others like Nest, which can apparently do strange things to HVAC equipment.
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

Why even consider purchasing something that you obviously don't need for a place you don't own?