"Buy once, cry once"

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
totallynotsure

"Buy once, cry once"

Post by totallynotsure »

what are your thoughts on this mantra? i think it makes sense - for certain items.

right now my wife and i are furniture shopping. i could spend $1500 on something that might last 8 years or $3500 on an heirloom piece that might last 25+.

where do your habits usually lead to?
Broken Man 1999

Re: "Buy once, cry once"

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

totallynotsure wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:04 pm what are your thoughts on this mantra? i think it makes sense - for certain items.

right now my wife and i are furniture shopping. i could spend $1500 on something that might last 8 years or $3500 on an heirloom piece that might last 25+.

We bought very high quality furniture direct from North Carolina for very good prices. We used a vacation trip to look at scads of furniture.

But, after 25 - 30 years, we grew tired of the furniture, and have replaced all but our dining room furniture. It's beautiful, but hopelessly dated, so out it goes next year.

Both of us are 67, so we have little need for new furniture to last 25+ years.

The question for you to ponder, do you want furniture to last 25+ years?

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

There are very few things I have today that I would want 15-20 years from now; especially furniture.

Is you style today the same as 10 years ago, let alone 25?
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

People won't want your stuff in 25 years. Buy it for you, for now and what you would like.

I see China cabinets bought for the same reason, discarded in bulk trash.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

Figure out if you value "fashion" and "trends" more than "it's quality! I've had it for 20 plus years!". And then buy according to those values.

If you value fashion/trends I would buy less expensive trendy/fashionable stuff and be content knowing you will be able to scratch the "I must be trendy/fashionable" itch when it occurs in the near future.

I like the look of "craftsman" furniture. I have one super expensive chair and then filled in with other less expense (sometimes 2nd hand) chairs/sofa/lamps/tables that go with the chair. Everything ties together with a trendy color palette and "mid century" vibe. Before the "mid century" vibe the expensive chair fit in with a different color palette and a more "country" vibe in chairs/couch/lamps/tables. Who knows what the next trendy vibe I will go with or what color palette - I can say the expensive chair will still be there. (it's really comfy and nice to sit in).

(I've currently got friends who are bemoaning their "dated" kitchens - they did total guts 15 years ago. They will probably do it again (rip out the 40K of work/expense and spend that much again). I have friends/relatives who tore out kitchens (dated because they were 20 years old) and replaced it all in lovely shades of gray so their house would sell faster/for more.)
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

There are a few fairly timeless furniture styles. Maloof chairs, just about anything shaker or mission style are good candidates but what you really want to to look for is the quality of the wood too. Maple with some heavy stain applied is no better than cheap stuff IMO. Natural finishes and good grain patterns should make you stop and say "damn that looks nice" if you really want it to be heirloom.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hand

Post by hand »

It depends:

Goods where it is a hassle to replace, downtime is expensive or technology unlikely to change (appliances, tools, weights) - buy the best quality you can get, plus as many features as you can afford.

Electronics (TVs, Computers), buy the middle of the pack and replace more often.

Fashion items, tailor cost and quality to expected length of time you intend to own.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:15 pm It's beautiful, but hopelessly dated, so out it goes next year.
What makes furniture "hopelessly dated"?

I can see that perhaps a microwave oven, dishwasher, or other appliance could get dated, but static furniture? Almost all of our furniture is over 25 years old and the dining room is almost 40 years old.
Last edited by livesoft on Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

I used to think this way, but not any more. Things change, styles change, needs change, etc. Whether something is "heirloom" I think can only be known in hindsight. Many things I thought I'd keep forever I either outgrew, or just got sick of. Other things I just bought on a whim ended up being things I can't see myself parting with now. For the most part, price/quality wasn't really much of a factor. The real factors won't be known until sometime in the future.
Afty

Post by Afty »

We go the other direction and buy cheap IKEA furniture. With young kids I’d rather not have to worry when they inevitably destroy it. Once they're older maybe we'll reconsider, but this has worked well so far.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

DoubleComma wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:17 pm There are very few things I have today that I would want 15-20 years from now; especially furniture.

Is you style today the same as 10 years ago, let alone 25?
This. I don't really care about the "quality" of home furnishing because before the end of their useful life I'll want something different anyways. We've had our $1100 sectional for 7yrs and it still looks fine (even with young kids). Considering my wife's tastes change often and a "higher quality" one is easily 5x the price, I'll stick to "budget" items. Other things like tables; do people actually break tables?
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Afty wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:46 pm We go the other direction and buy cheap IKEA furniture. With young kids I’d rather not have to worry when they inevitably destroy it. Once they're older maybe we'll reconsider, but this has worked well so far.
We did that too. Imagine our shock, it has lasted forever. The el cheapo IKEA couch we bought as newlyweds was actually the best, most durable couch we ever owned.

That’s the ikea paradox. It’s seemingly very flimsy, yet incredibly durable.....
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

It depends what you're buying...

I'd buy quality furniture regardless but maybe not the "super high end" stuff. Tastes do change over time along with styles and you may not want that same $3000 couch after 15 years.

Electronics- I buy solid, middle-of-the-road devices from well known brands (Apple products, Samsung for TV's, etc). Electronics are outdated so quickly that today's super-high-end device will be fairly commonplace in 2-3 years time (or even less).

Appliances I usually buy higher-end because it's a PITA to change out and they're something I expect a long lifespan out of. I don't skimp on appliances.

Same thing goes for mattresses- buy high-end ones that are comfortable and will last. Saving a few bucks on a cheaper mattress is just plain stupid.

Other items are on a case-by-case basis. For many objects, if you buy the higher middle-end, you get 90% of the quality/features of the high-high-end stuff at roughly 50-60% of the cost. That's generally where I like to be as you're getting a great value for your dollar.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Even stuff from Ikea can last 15-20 years. Recently I was glad to leave some Ikea stuff behind. And some better, but not great furniture I bought 40 years ago.

Assuming you can afford it, buy what gives you pleasure and that you want to own.
Broken Man 1999

livesoft wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:43 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:15 pm It's beautiful, but hopelessly dated, so out it goes next year.

I can see that perhaps a microwave oven, dishwasher, or other appliance could get dated, but static furniture? Almost all of our furniture is over 25 years old and the dining room is almost 40 years old.
Depends on one's taste. You might like your current style. We don't. Usually I am pretty ambivalent about such things, but this furniture has got to go.

We need to prime the economy, money is like blood, you gotta keep it circulating. :D

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

vitaflo wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:44 pm I used to think this way, but not any more. Things change, styles change, needs change, etc. Whether something is "heirloom" I think can only be known in hindsight. Many things I thought I'd keep forever I either outgrew, or just got sick of. Other things I just bought on a whim ended up being things I can't see myself parting with now. For the most part, price/quality wasn't really much of a factor. The real factors won't be known until sometime in the future.
Yeah I've also never bought into the "heirloom" hype either especially when it comes to BIG items like antique furniture. Chances are your kids won't want it and it'll be put up for auction. The only heirloom items I consider are smaller, meaningful pieces that are easily transportable and storable- think along the lines of a Rolex watch, rings/jewelry, Dad's wallet, maybe even a special pocket knife, etc. Not cumbersome or taking up much space and can have a special meaning behind them (having intrinsic value doesn't hurt either).
Last edited by Workaholic on Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Normchad wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:08 pm
Afty wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:46 pm We go the other direction and buy cheap IKEA furniture. With young kids I’d rather not have to worry when they inevitably destroy it. Once they're older maybe we'll reconsider, but this has worked well so far.
We did that too. Imagine our shock, it has lasted forever. The el cheapo IKEA couch we bought as newlyweds was actually the best, most durable couch we ever owned.

That’s the ikea paradox. It’s seemingly very flimsy, yet incredibly durable.....
My philosophy with almost all consumer goods is first buy the cheapest thing I can find and then consider buying up if I am not satisfied or if it doesn't work. I almost never buy up, especially when it comes to household goods (furnishings, kitchen stuff, etc.). Even with young kids, we rarely have things just break. We as well have had great experiences with bottom-of-the-barrel IKEA household stuff. I can recognize quality, but it's also just "stuff" and most of the time it doesn't necessarily translate to value in my eyes.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I don't mind paying for quality but things often don't last as long you think. Fire or some other thing could damage a high end piece and maybe you can get it fixed or maybe not. While not quite the same, I'm not going to pay a lot of money for clothing, even if it lasts longer since it can still get permanently damaged from stains or tear/rip.

That "Buy once, cry once" may end up being crying twice if something happens to it and you have to go out and buy another one.
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

Do you have pets? If you have kids, will they want pets? Divide furniture-years by dog-years.

I bought cheap-ish sofas until I was ready to live without pets. Then I bought a whole set of Stressless leather sofa & chairs. They look like new after 7 years. Probably will look new after I'm gone.
18% cash 44% stock 38% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
Arabesque

Post by Arabesque »

There’s some great secondhand furniture out there. People get tired or move. Before I moved this year, I went into a consignment furniture store, thinking I could sell some of my furniture. Theirs was all in better shape. So I gave mine away, figuring I would get better when I got to the new address.

I just bought a Pottery Barn style/quality bedroom set for $300. Not quite my taste, but close enough. Estate sale.
Bogle7

buy many

Post by Bogle7 »

totallynotsure wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:04 pmright now my wife and i are furniture shopping. i could spend $1500 on something that might last 8 years or $3500 on a ... piece that might last 25+.
Spend the $3500 and replace it in 10-15 years when our tastes change. We have the money.
At age 72, I am on my 3rd look/style in living room furniture in my life. Not counting college dorm.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

"Buy Once, Cry Once" implies that buying the cheaper item means you'll have to replace it (either sooner or at all). I'm not terribly convinced that this is necessarily true, but it can be a way to decide between two alternative items. If one is significantly more expensive, but will last significantly longer, it may make sense.

I'm not sure I would necessarily put furniture in this category though as the first furniture I kept for a long time was Ikea Malm and if it weren't for the recall, it'd still be kicking (in someone else's house).

I'd put dirt cheap knives vs decent knives in this category; maybe pots & pans as well (but this depends on how much you care about pots & pans).
Last edited by Lee_WSP on Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I generally ignore it. I don't want to have most things forever. I get tired of things. Most things these days are pretty well made. Technology changes and so do styles and use cases. There are certain things definitely worth paying more for, but I think they are in the small minority of things I buy. Even things you might not think evolve like fabrics (furniture/clothes) do.

I lived in my last house 11 years. Half the furniture I moved didn't work in the new house (at least the way I wanted it to). I was glad I didn't spend a fortune on it when I got rid of it.

There are some things that I use all the time that I spend $$$ on like in the kitchen (knives, pots/pans, range).
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

The "modern" furniture you see today.... that stuff is going to be laughably out of date in 10-15 years. It will be the stuff small children look at and laugh at. It will scream "early 2000s". It's like every time I step foot in a kitchen or bathroom with super modern "clean" looking cabinets, I'm like...well.... this will be all worthless in 10-15 years.

Not to say anyone shouldn't buy this stuff if they like it, but I wouldn't be dropping big money on quality merch for stuff which has an expiration date.

If your tastes are more "traditional"/timeless -- e.g. you want to decorate like your house looks like it's out of a 1920s or 1930s movie, then stepping up for quality might make more sense. I'm definitely in this more traditional camp, and I'll drop $3k on a quality made in the USA club chair because it's timeless, I'll have it for decades. When you sit on it....you feel the quality, the weight....it takes you back to the time where people sat around in well appointed offices smoking cigars, dressed in 3-pieced suits and chatting about "important things" with "important people". Sadly....I'm just talking to my dog about the latest debate on international vs. US only, dressed in jeans and a t-shirt ... money only buys so much :P.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:15 pmDepends on one's taste. You might like your current style. We don't. Usually I am pretty ambivalent about such things, but this furniture has got to go.
OK, your tastes have changed, but your furniture is unlikely to be dated unless you had some pretty weird tastes ages ago. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Broken Man 1999

Arabesque wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:24 pm There’s some great secondhand furniture out there. People get tired or move. Before I moved this year, I went into a consignment furniture store, thinking I could sell some of my furniture. Theirs was all in better shape. So I gave mine away, figuring I would get better when I got to the new address.

I just bought a Pottery Barn style/quality bedroom set for $300. Not quite my taste, but close enough. Estate sale.
DW and I just bought a Pottery Barn bed and two nightstands for $250 a couple of weeks ago. The pieces are very nice, well cared for. Very good quality. Heavy as heck according to the ones taking the pieces upstairs.

Refurnished a spare bedroom pretty cheap. We sold the existing furniture for $160 to a neighbor.

Very nice refresh for about $100 dollars. Though we will have to get two lamps for the nightstands and some new hardware for a dresser we kept.

A DD is going to take care of those things and the softer touches (rugs and bed linens) as a Christmas gift for DW.

Of course what refresh would be complete without new paint? :oops:

Broken Man 1999
Broken Man 1999

livesoft wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:28 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:15 pmDepends on one's taste. You might like your current style. We don't. Usually I am pretty ambivalent about such things, but this furniture has got to go.
OK, your tastes have changed, but your furniture is unlikely to be dated unless you had some pretty weird tastes ages ago. :)
Oh, it's dated. Massive china hutch, large buffet, large case for the crystal pieces, nine piece dining table and chairs.

We went browsing in a couple of furniture stores, and there was nary a piece like we have on the floor. Not even a token one.

I can assure you, no DD has put dibs on any of it.

Rent a truck and come to Florida when we get rid of it!

Broken Man 1999
mptness

Post by mptness »

My antique furniture is practically worthless, but some of it still serves a purpose. My heirs will likely have to dispose of it. :(
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/03/styl ... n%2C%20N.Y.
Broken Man 1999

Florida is a treasure trove of estate furniture. Mom and dad die, the kids are still grinding away somewhere far away, and they are stuck unloading all the stuff collected of 25-30 years of retirement.

Lots of very nice but old furniture available for a song, or free if you can haul it off quickly so the house/condo can be sold.

Broken Man 1999
NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink »

Arabesque wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:24 pm There’s some great secondhand furniture out there. People get tired or move. Before I moved this year, I went into a consignment furniture store, thinking I could sell some of my furniture. Theirs was all in better shape. So I gave mine away, figuring I would get better when I got to the new address.

Great plan. The new stuff in the stores now is pretty cheap and ugly to my eye, but there is some great stuff in the consignment stores.

Cultures changes. It used to be that inheriting furniture instead of buying it new was a sign of being upper class.
Being the sort of person who “buys his own furniture”, a remark that Alan Clark, a former minister and diarist once reported as directed at Michael Heseltine, a self-made Tory colleague, is still worthy of note in circles where most inherit it.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Responding to the traditional furniture comments....my Grandma passed a way a few months ago. She had traditional furniture. None of it was cheap, it was mostly mid-range. Most was 20-40 years old, excellent condition as we couldn't go in several rooms :shock: . We practically had to give it away. I am talking like $100-$200 per piece or set. Some of the pieces we got the people that bought the house to allow us to leave for free. In the end, going back and forth with showing it and them arranging transport and showing up again it wasn't really worth selling any of it.

Traditional is not as monolithic as some people think it is. There are many different types of traditional. Baroque, Queen Anne, Victorian, Rococo, Romantic, Arts and Craft, Neoclassical, Chippendale, etc. Thinking they will always all be popular is probably optimistic at best.

I had a very nice coffee table (brass drum) in excellent condition on the modern side. It didn't fit in my new place when I moved. It was still for sale for $1k online. I put it for sale. I started at $250. I got down to $150 and then just gave it to a friend. People offered $75 (via email). Not worth the trouble. Most used furniture is practically worthless. If you have high end brands or antiques, that may be a different story.
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

totallynotsure wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:04 pm what are your thoughts on this mantra? i think it makes sense - for certain items.

Sigh. I always go for the high quality (and usually higher priced because of it) piece of furniture, and then when I'm tired of it in 10-15 years, I can't justify replacing it because it doesn't show any wear. :oops: For example, I researched leather and found the highest quality is aniline full-grained leather. So I custom-ordered a high-quality sofa covered with aniline full-grain leather, when top-grain leather would have been fine, and I could justify replacing it when I got tired of it. Did the same thing with a fabric sofa years ago: I researched the longest lasting fabrics and...we just couldn't kill that thing!
Toons

Post by Toons »

We just purchased a kitchen table from
Walmart
Holds everything just fine.

:wink:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Not sure why OP is starting multiple threads on similar subjects.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=329896
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Let me preface by saying there’s no disrespect or malice intended here: Your house probably looks like old people live in it. Styles change and things bought decades ago tend to look like the era in which they were purchased. Sure there are occasional exceptions—I have a 20-year-old leather couch in the basement that doesn’t look THAT bad, because it’s all black, and about as basic of a style as you can come up with—but in general this isn’t the case. The (currently) very nice dark-brown suede-like sectional in the front room now probably won’t age nearly as well. The cream-colored smooth leather sectional it replaced certainly didn’t.

Case in point: about two years ago, we trashed a dining room set with a china cabinet that wasn’t crazy over styled. But it had a lot of rounded corners and small details that made it extremely obvious that it was late-90s/early-2000s design. As another poster said, you’d never find anything that looks even remotely like it in a furniture store today. We replaced it with a French Country style set that maybe(?) will be a bit more timeless....but we won’t know for another decade or so.
Independent George

Post by Independent George »

As with nearly everything in life: it depends. I've had buyers' remorse after overspending on something I thought would be worth the quality, and I've ended up buying things twice because I decided to cheap out on something that didn't meet my needs. As I've gotten older, I have a much better idea of when it's worth splurging, and when to go cheap - and I'll bet anything that my list is not the same as yours.

At the end of the day, it's mostly a question of opportunity costs: if spending more on something means having to spend less on something you would make better use of, then it's probably not worth it. If, however, it's something you use regularly and would make full use out of, then it's probably worth it. The point is, nobody here can make this choice for you.
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

And nobody else will want it
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele »

lazydavid wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:28 pm

Let me preface by saying there’s no disrespect or malice intended here: Your house probably looks like old people live in it.
+1 this
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Buy what you like. Some people like country style homes, for example. Others, traditional. Don't have to change furnishings as often. Unless you get bored with it or buy low quality.

But if you like "modern", you always have to keep up with the Joneses and rotate furniture and kitchens/bathrooms more frequently. It's part of the deal. I wonder how much longer white kitchens will be "in". Or farmhouse sinks.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
jw2s

Post by jw2s »

Normchad wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:08 pm

The LACK.
A legendary piece. The undisputed champ.
Just wouldn't die.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

My furniture is from the 1950s. It's wood, much like it was when it was made. This thread reads pretty wasteful.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

lazydavid wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:28 pm

Let me preface by saying there’s no disrespect or malice intended here: Your house probably looks like old people live in it. Styles change and things bought decades ago tend to look like the era in which they were purchased. Sure there are occasional exceptions—I have a 20-year-old leather couch in the basement that doesn’t look THAT bad, because it’s all black, and about as basic of a style as you can come up with—but in general this isn’t the case. The (currently) very nice dark-brown suede-like sectional in the front room now probably won’t age nearly as well. The cream-colored smooth leather sectional it replaced certainly didn’t.

Case in point: about two years ago, we trashed a dining room set with a china cabinet that wasn’t crazy over styled. But it had a lot of rounded corners and small details that made it extremely obvious that it was late-90s/early-2000s design. As another poster said, you’d never find anything that looks even remotely like it in a furniture store today. We replaced it with a French Country style set that maybe(?) will be a bit more timeless....but we won’t know for another decade or so.
I guess the question becomes, other than perhaps interior designers and a few others that pay attention, who cares? Most people aren't trashing their interior every 5 years.
pomomojo

Post by pomomojo »

Sadly, most consumer electronics are disposable. The sole exceptions are mostly niche products: solid state amplifiers & turntables.

Better consumer grade kitchen knives (Henckel Pro, Wusthof classic, Japanese carbon) and All-Clad cookware will last 20+ years

Captoe and wingtip dress shoes will last 20+ years with proper care

Furniture may last 20+ years, but buying a style that will endure multiple decades is difficult. There are a few iconic styles where this may apply; Noguchi coffee tables, Barcelona & Le Corbusier chairs, and Saarinen tulip tables are few examples. In the more budget friendly category, I won't be surprised if Ikea Poang becomes a lasting style icon.

Persian rugs have faded in popularity, but they can still be matched with most modern or transitional decor.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

This absolutely makes sense for wood furniture. I know people in their 60s using bedroom furniture bought when they were kids, which they then took with them when they moved out. Provided you're willing to refinish it, quality wood furniture can literally last from the time you stop wetting the bed to the time they ship you off to the nursing home.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

My buying habits tend toward preferring easily replaced things with no real expectation of longevity (within limits).
If I had a piece of furniture that I wasn't perfectly willing to throw away because it was easier than moving it, or because I wanted to move to a smaller place, or simply a change of style, then I'd start to feel like the furniture owned me: that I was working to support the furniture rather than in working for my enjoyment.
Bear in mind, I move a lot, and don't expect to stay in the same place longer than a couple years.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Dontwasteit

Post by Dontwasteit »

We have no choice but to keep our older furniture. My clawed cat does a number on our chairs and couch. Such a shame but we love our little fur ball! Hey, saves us money, lol.
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

I’ve seemed to find that used furniture is typically near worthless no matter what it is...I get the feeling that it’s “old fashioned” thinking to spend a lot of money on housewares and think they have any real liquidity.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

From a finance perspective, with unnecessary spending, and an environmental perspective, with unnecessary waste, it seems crazy to me people would throw away perfectly good furniture because it looks out of date or isn't in some "modern" style.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

oldfort wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:04 pm From a finance perspective, with unnecessary spending, and an environmental perspective, with unnecessary waste, it seems crazy to me people would throw away perfectly good furniture because it looks out of date or isn't in some "modern" style.
I've never thrown furniture away because it was ugly or out of date. But I would. I certainly don't spend extra money in the hopes of getting something that lasts forever. I'm just not interested in keeping it forever. (If I still had the all-metal bed I had as a kid, I doubt Mrs. Chad would want to sleep in it with me).

Honestly, so much changes over time, nothing impermanent for me. I will switch houses, have different size rooms, different number of rooms, etc. I just place no value on having it last forever. Having said that, my el cheapo ikea stuff is still kicking!

When I do move, I will throw about 90% of everything I own in the trash. When I get to my new place, I will likely buy most of my new furniture on CraigsList. There is so much good furniture on there that can bought for about 90% off.....

I am wasteful. Nothing makes me happier than throwing stuff away.....
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

+1.

Good furniture doesn’t go out of style.

I like Art Deco, MCM, Scandinavian, American craft furniture.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh