Electronic chess set

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Wilderness Librarian

Electronic chess set

Post by Wilderness Librarian »

Had one 25 or 30 years ago (Champion brand?) Some of the indicator bulbs burned out so discarded long time ago. Replacing it has long been on my want list so not really responding to current press on Queen's Gambit. But did hear today's NPR feature that chess sets everywhere are going fast.

I prefer to do things alone so would be purchasing for solo recreation at home. Absolutely no desire to play with others or join chess clubs or tournaments etc. Also want a normal size physical board - not one of those dinky mousepad sized ones and totally uninterested in computer screen chess. Also not interested in importing software or game plans into device. Just a high quality stand alone with real physical pieces that will start at beginner level and allow modest progress.

Amazon has several from Millennium. One that looked good was https://www.amazon.com/Millennium-Chess ... X8HE1VZ6EP.

Yes its expensive but within my budget. Wasn't sure how you signaled moves on this model - do you have to keep shifting from display or if indicator lights on board signal the move - does anybody know?

Amazon also shows https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RNM4YT2/re ... UTF8&psc=1
How do you think these would compare for my situation?

Millennium also has genius level at over $600. Why would there be so much difference in price? I suspect this would be overkill for me & not sure I would want to spend that much money.

Thanks
willthrill81

Re: Electronic chess set

Post by willthrill81 »

I once played with a unit that actually moved the pieces via magnets under the board back in the late 1980s. It took a while for the computer to think, but it was fun. Having to move the physical pieces for the computer doesn't interest me at all. I could play against a computer opponent online and transpose the moves to a physical board for free.

The 'king' opponent does sound interesting, but $375 + shipping sounds way too steep to me.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

What level are you?

I find computer opponents tedious. At low settings, the moves make no sense...as opposed to playing people online where the moves are just not properly thought out.

At higher levels, there's an element of misdirection that can be had, a computer just analyzes deeper and deeper. It's just...blah.

The lichess app is one of the best for online play, I fluctuate between 1750 and 1900 rating on 3 minute games.

That said, the one you posted does look nice.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The robotic chess board is available here: https://squareoffnow.com/
Last edited by Nicolas on Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
steadyhand

Post by steadyhand »

The DGT board can integrate with Chess.com amd even Lichess. You just have to move the opponents move yourself in additi9n to making yours.
DrippingSprings

Post by DrippingSprings »

Consider purchasing from wholesalechess.com or uscfsales.com. They have the DGT Centaur at $399 minus a 15% discount. They also have lower priced Millennium ChessGenius boards. I have purchased stuff from both of them in the past and they are reliable sites. They also have other options you can look through.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

OP, give chess.com a try. I didn't think I would like to play an online opponent but now I'm hooked.

TravelforFun
cogito

Post by cogito »

I am (err, used to) be a USCF 2000ish rated player, and while I loved the little Excalibur electronic chess set I had growing up, your best bet by far nowadays is to just get a chess app and use a board in real life to play against yourself. The all-in-one is a gimmick for sure.
DownToThis

Post by DownToThis »

TravelforFun wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:23 pm OP, give chess.com a try. I didn't think I would like to play an online opponent but now I'm hooked.

TravelforFun
+1, I have the app for chess.com and its great. Have been taking lessons which I find helpful as well
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Most people just play online now, against real people. Either chess.com or lichess.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

DrippingSprings wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:10 pm Consider purchasing from wholesalechess.com or uscfsales.com. They have the DGT Centaur at $399 minus a 15% discount. They also have lower priced Millennium ChessGenius boards. I have purchased stuff from both of them in the past and they are reliable sites. They also have other options you can look through.
Thanks to your post I just ordered a DGT Centaur from USCF Sales. The discount is now 20% for Black Friday. Coupon code is FRIDAY. After reading the reviews on the chess sites and also Amazon for this unit I was sold. But it’s cheaper on USCF with the 20% discount than on Amazon currently (no affiliation).
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I heard the Queen's Gambit series is making chess sets one of the most popular gifts this season. I wonder if that is driving the price up for the products you are looking at. If you want to save money and don't need it for the holiday maybe wait until January and see if (provide stock is left) prices drop.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

The movie has inspired me to play Chinese chess (I'm already decent on International Chess), which I am learning right now. Unfortunately there are few material available to learn, so it is mostly playing against the computer (which is also not so good, poorly designed apps). The material that is available just shows some grandmaster games but doesn't explain why the moves are made that way. I got a nice board (feels like vinyl and is foldable) and some heavy plastic pieces to play.

Chinese chess (Xiangqi) is very similar to Western chess, just on a slightly larger board and played on the square intersections instead. Some of the pieces are different but mostly similar rules.
Topic Author
Wilderness Librarian

SmileyFace wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:51 pm I heard the Queen's Gambit series is making chess sets one of the most popular gifts this season. I wonder if that is driving the price up for the products you are looking at. If you want to save money and don't need it for the holiday maybe wait until January and see if (provide stock is left) prices drop.
Thanks everyone. Actually I have had these sets in my Amazon browse file for several months and the cost is not driven by Queens Gambit. By the way I just finished reading the book the series is based upon. It is really good. Not sure the accuracy of the chess moves author mentions but even if flawed it makes good reading & I have trouble finding fiction I like.

Also be careful when looking at the uscf site vs. Amazon for the Millenium sets. Their model names are somewhat similar. The usfs site has better description and differentiation - look closely at the model numbers. I am pretty sure even with holiday discount Amazon is cheaper for Millenium. Still trying to decide - and I may wait anyway. As to online playing mentioned by several posters - good idea but my personality and preferences lean toward conventional as originally stated.
Topic Author
Wilderness Librarian

cheesepep wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:00 pm The movie has inspired me to play Chinese chess (I'm already decent on International Chess), which I am learning right now. Unfortunately there are few material available to learn, so it is mostly playing against the computer (which is also not so good, poorly designed apps). The material that is available just shows some grandmaster games but doesn't explain why the moves are made that way. I got a nice board (feels like vinyl and is foldable) and some heavy plastic pieces to play.

Chinese chess (Xiangqi) is very similar to Western chess, just on a slightly larger board and played on the square intersections instead. Some of the pieces are different but mostly similar rules.
Is this what is sometimes referred as "Go" or is this a different game altogether? I was wondering about an electronic board version of Go.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

It is a different game. Go is played on a 19x19 board with black and white “stones.” You can get a Chinese chess board with Go board on the other side. That is what I have. I plan on learning Go afterwards as it is considered as having a much higher game tree complexity, but I also think it must be quite boring.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

TravelforFun wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:23 pm OP, give chess.com a try. I didn't think I would like to play an online opponent but now I'm hooked.

TravelforFun
I played a lot on that site years ago, but there were too many sore losers with foul mouths for my taste. I took a long hiatus from the game/sport, but I've recently gotten back into playing and do so on lichess.org. I really like the platform, and I've experienced almost none of the problems I experienced regularly on chess.com.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
DrippingSprings

Nicolas wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:48 pm
DrippingSprings wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:10 pm Consider purchasing from wholesalechess.com or uscfsales.com. They have the DGT Centaur at $399 minus a 15% discount. They also have lower priced Millennium ChessGenius boards. I have purchased stuff from both of them in the past and they are reliable sites. They also have other options you can look through.
Thanks to your post I just ordered a DGT Centaur from USCF Sales. The discount is now 20% for Black Friday. Coupon code is FRIDAY. After reading the reviews on the chess sites and also Amazon for this unit I was sold. But it’s cheaper on USCF with the 20% discount than on Amazon currently (no affiliation).
I'm glad to have been of service. Enjoy your chess et, and do let us know how you like it.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Thanks to your post I just ordered a DGT Centaur from USCF Sales.
If you want to learn how to beat your new opponent I highly recommend focussing on tactics

https://chesstempo.com/chess-tactics/
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

tm3 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:55 am
Thanks to your post I just ordered a DGT Centaur from USCF Sales.
If you want to learn how to beat your new opponent I highly recommend focussing on tactics

https://chesstempo.com/chess-tactics/
Thanks tm3, I was not aware of this site, I shall take advantage!
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Wilderness Librarian wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:51 pm Wasn't sure how you signaled moves on this model - do you have to keep shifting from display or if indicator lights on board signal the move - does anybody know?
Indicator lights around the squares: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RNM4YT2/re ... UTF8&psc=1
Stay on target...
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Way back in 1998, Sierra created Power Chess 98, and it included many computer opponents with various playing styles. But by far the most interesting player was the King, whose strength, style, and specific moves would change depending on his history of games played with you. The Queen, the strongest player in the game, provided after-game analysis using voice dialogue. It was fantastic, and I've tried to find something similar since then but to no avail.
thatme

Post by thatme »

Related, but different question: does anyone have a recommendation for a good wooden chess set? I used to have a really good one but it was lost in a flood. I really liked the "heft" of the pieces, but it seems difficult to tell from Amazon reviews whether their sets will have the same weightiness to the pieces. I play online a lot but haven't had a physical board in a long time and would like to purchase another one. I wouldn't mind going to a physical store, but if someone has a good online recommendation, please let me know!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

thatme wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:51 am Related, but different question: does anyone have a recommendation for a good wooden chess set? I used to have a really good one but it was lost in a flood. I really liked the "heft" of the pieces, but it seems difficult to tell from Amazon reviews whether their sets will have the same weightiness to the pieces. I play online a lot but haven't had a physical board in a long time and would like to purchase another one. I wouldn't mind going to a physical store, but if someone has a good online recommendation, please let me know!
I bought my triple-weighted pieces at a local game shop, now closed. But USCF Sales has a huge selection! If you want heft get triple-weighted. They’ve got 20% off right now for Black Friday (no affiliation). https://www.uscfsales.com/
nimo956

Post by nimo956 »

I use lichess to play opponents online. If you really want to improve, you should play a few long time control games per week and analyze them thoroughly. I can also recommend the Chess Studio app on my iPad, which allows you to purchase electronic chess books. I’m not at the level yet where I can read chess notation in a book and visualize all of the different lines in my head. The e-books have a board that allow you to see the lines, turn on an engine, make alternate moves, etc. I find it very valuable. There is also the Chess Studio app, which allows you to import databases, your own games, puzzle positions, etc.
50% VTI / 50% VXUS
DrippingSprings

thatme wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:51 am Related, but different question: does anyone have a recommendation for a good wooden chess set? I used to have a really good one but it was lost in a flood. I really liked the "heft" of the pieces, but it seems difficult to tell from Amazon reviews whether their sets will have the same weightiness to the pieces. I play online a lot but haven't had a physical board in a long time and would like to purchase another one. I wouldn't mind going to a physical store, but if someone has a good online recommendation, please let me know!
There are some really nice looking ones at https://www.etsy.com/market/wooden_chess_sets I bought one there a couple of years ago and it was well priced and really nice.

A nice set of chess pieces (no board) I have bought at a good price was this one from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N1 ... UTF8&psc=1
tm3

Post by tm3 »

House of Staunton: https://www.houseofstaunton.com/chess-p ... rc=feature

Wide selection of pieces at a variety of prices. I have heard good feedback on several of their sets. Pick the style you like. You can find reviews on chess.com and see posts of other buying options as well.

If you want to Boglehead it ie bang for the buck and you can give up on wood but keep the heavy weight you can't beat this set

https://amchesseq.com/collections/tourn ... 8016899130

You might have to wear sunglasses to play with the egg yolk yellow white pieces, however.
cogito

Post by cogito »

+1

House of Staunton has always been the gold standard for wooden chess sets. They are expensive but will last for generations if properly taken care of.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

tm3 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:55 am If you want to Boglehead it ie bang for the buck and you can give up on wood but keep the heavy weight you can't beat this set

^^^ This is my set, they’re very nice, and weighty! They feel like ivory, to me, anyway.

This set is so beautiful, but for $1300? — nope.
https://www.houseofstaunton.com/the-for ... -king.html
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Nicolas wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:25 am This set is so beautiful, but for $1300? — nope.
But they'll ship it for free to anywhere in the world! :P
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Nicolas wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:25 am
tm3 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:55 am If you want to Boglehead it ie bang for the buck and you can give up on wood but keep the heavy weight you can't beat this set

^^^ This is my set, they’re very nice, and weighty! They feel like ivory, to me, anyway.

This set is so beautiful, but for $1300? — nope.
But it's only about a quarter of the cost of a $5,000 watch!

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
thatme

Post by thatme »

Thanks for the recommendations! "triple-weighted" as a keyword was very helpful.
averagedude

Post by averagedude »

Another vote for chess.com. If you spend the time with the right practice, you will become a better player. This may sound elitist, but your chess skills is limited to your aptitude. By the way, my intelligence is average and I suck at chess. I could never be a master, no matter how many thousands of hours that I study the game. This is true, regardless if I had studied the game starting at 5 years old and put over 10,000 hours into it.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Nicolas wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:39 pm The robotic chess board is available here: https://squareoffnow.com/
I think one of these chess sets is what I want to get, but a) if so, which one, and b) is there anything else to consider for our needs:

I'm hoping to be able to "learn to play chess" with one our grandsons (and perhaps the other, in a couple of years).
I know the moves, but have virtually zero memory of any strategy (and never was very good to begin with).

So of major interest is being able to "play against each other in real time".
Having the board "make the moves" is VERY appealing, and would delight the boys (including the younger one, of course).

So which set do I want to send to him, the Kingdom or Grand Kingdom set?
I take it there aren't other companies with any similar product for remote play with automated board?

Are there replacement pieces, if, um, one gets lost?
I assume there must be, but can't seem to find info about this.
Is there a place to store the pieces between games?

Does the board remember the position of all of the pieces during a game, should it be necessary to put the pieces back in order to continue a game?

Is there any way to have two separate boards, in two locations, working together so that each person has a board with pieces being controlled together?

Anything else relevant to playing remotely with a 2nd grader?
This grand apparently does "know how the pieces move", which was a nice surprise when I asked. But his interest is all that is necessary at this point, and he *loves* the idea of the pieces moving "on his board right in front of him". :happy

Many thanks!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:56 pm
Nicolas wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:39 pm The robotic chess board is available here: https://squareoffnow.com/
I think one of these chess sets is what I want to get, but a) if so, which one, and b) is there anything else to consider for our needs:

I'm hoping to be able to "learn to play chess" with one our grandsons (and perhaps the other, in a couple of years).
I know the moves, but have virtually zero memory of any strategy (and never was very good to begin with).

Having the board "make the moves" is VERY appealing, and would delight the boys (including the younger one, of course).

I take it there aren't other companies with any similar product for remote play with automated board?

Does the board remember the position of all of the pieces during a game, should it be necessary to put the pieces back in order to continue a game?

Is there any way to have two separate boards, in two locations, working together so that each person has a board with pieces being controlled together?

This grand apparently does "know how the pieces move", which was a nice surprise when I asked. But his interest is all that is necessary at this point, and he *loves* the idea of the pieces moving "on his board right in front of him". :happy

Many thanks!

RM
Chesskid.com

It quickly surpassed any over the board chess with my children. The lessons and associated videos are also quite kid friendly.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Many thanks!

RM
I don’t have one and never saw one but I’ll try to answer your questions. There are explanatory videos on their website that may help to answer your questions also.

The differences between the two seem to be double the battery reserve in the Grand Kingdom (30 vs. 15 games) and when the pieces move off the board they go to their designated parking spaces instead of just off to the border at random. Because of this the Grand Kingdom can automatically reset the pieces as it always keeps track of their locations.

The Grand Kingdom is physically bigger and of course more expensive.

Also, according to their website, you can “livestream” professional matches with the Grand Kingdom.

These are the extra benefits of the higher-priced board.

I have heard that there used to be competing sets but I think these are the only ones extant.

It comes with two extra queens for pawn promotion but besides that I don’t know if you can order any spares, check with the company. As for storage, doesn’t look like it. Maybe put them in a cloth bag?

You interface with the board through their app, and for remote play with other people via chess.com so I assume those electronic entities are keeping track of your moves. This brings up another point, if the company goes bust then their app disappears and where does that leave you with this board? You might want to ask the company.

Yes, it appears this is possible through chess.com, check with the company.

If you like this set you’d best get it on order as their Black Friday special will expire soon.
Note that USCF Sales also offers them and right now with a 20% Black Friday sale: https://www.uscfsales.com/catalogsearch ... Square+off

I bought the DGT Centaur myself which is supposed to offer the most human-like chess experience and adapts its skill to yours automatically. I’m not interested so much in the robotic movement of the pieces. I can play online with other people via chess.com or lichess. I just want to improve my game at this point.

The setup seems to be too difficult for a 2nd grader, you’ll need a competent adult on the other end to help. But I think once the game is running he should be able to play with you.

I don’t have any first-hand experience with this board, never having seen one. I’m just reading this stuff online.

Last edited by Nicolas on Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
texascrane

Re: Electronic ch

Post by texascrane »

halfnine wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:36 pm
Chesskid.com

It quickly surpassed any over the board chess with my children. The lessons and associated videos are also quite kid friendly.
+1

My 5 year old loves chesskids.com.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

halfnine wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:36 pm Chesskid.com

Thanks!
I hadn't yet heard about this.
This entire idea was lurking in the back of my mind since seeing Queen's Gambit.
But it wasn't until earlier today that I found out that the 2nd grader already knew the moves, and also got very excited about the pieces moving "on their own".
We really try to encourage and support all such interests.

I'll have them look into it, and make sure he's got a chess set, be it automated or not. It seems to be "child friendly/safe" from the quick glimpse I just had.
We might get a simple manual set anyway, in part so the kindergartner can also "play". He tends to try to mimic his older brother whenever possible, which in cases like this is a plus. But not always, ahem :twisted:

RM
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Nicolas wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 5:42 pm

Many thanks!

RM
I don’t have one and never saw one but I’ll try to answer your questions. There are explanatory videos on their website that may help to answer your questions also.

The differences between the two seem to be double the battery reserve in the Grand Kingdom (30 vs. 15 games) and when the pieces move off the board they go to their designated parking spaces instead of just off to the border at random. Because of this the Grand Kingdom can automatically reset the pieces as it always keeps track of their locations.

The Grand Kingdom is physically bigger and of course more expensive.

Also, according to their website, you can “livestream” professional matches with the Grand Kingdom.

These are the extra benefits of the higher-priced board.

I have heard that there used to be competing sets but I think these are the only ones extant.

It comes with two extra queens for pawn promotion but besides that I don’t know if you can order any spares, check with the company. As for storage, doesn’t look like it. Maybe put them in a cloth bag?

You interface with the board through their app, and for remote play with other people via chess.com so I assume those electronic entities are keeping track of your moves. This brings up another point, if the company goes bust then their app disappears and where does that leave you with this board? You might want to ask the company.

Yes, it appears this is possible through chess.com, check with the company.

If you like this set you’d best get it on order as their Black Friday special will expire soon.
Note that USCF Sales also offers them and right now with a 20% Black Friday sale: https://www.uscfsales.com/catalogsearch ... Square+off

I bought the DGT Centaur myself which is supposed to offer the most human-like chess experience and adapts its skill to yours automatically. I’m not interested so much in the robotic movement of the pieces. I can play online with other people via chess.com or lichess. I just want to improve my game at this point.

The setup seems to be too difficult for a 2nd grader, you’ll need a competent adult on the other end to help. But I think once the game is running he should be able to play with you.

I don’t have any first-hand experience with this board, never having seen one. I’m just reading this stuff online.

Thanks!

Things like greater battery power aren't of particular interest.
But the "parking" and reset are, although not essential.
I'll ask the company about "extra pieces", just in case. I assume there have already been times when this would have been useful, but...?

And I'll definitely look into the possibility of coordinating two boards through the company and chess.com. That would be really nice (for me!).
And no doubt fun for them to see in action, whenever we can see them again in person (sigh).

And thanks for mentioning the sale.
I had noticed that, after noticing that we had just missed an earlier sale, which seems it may have morphed into the current sale.

And the parents can help with any setup, until he learns to do it himself. Although I don't yet know how complicated that is, I suspect once he sees how it's done, he'll be relatively capable. (Not the younger one yet... hence the manual set, so any "search and destroy" tendencies can have a more appropriate target!)

I had read briefly about a competing company that seems to have been shut down, when it turned out some claims were not, er, quite accurate...

Thanks again!
I'm looking forward to this, and especially during these odd times :happy

RM
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

ResearchMed wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:28 pm
halfnine wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:36 pm Chesskid.com

Thanks!
I hadn't yet heard about this.
This entire idea was lurking in the back of my mind since seeing Queen's Gambit.
But it wasn't until earlier today that I found out that the 2nd grader already knew the moves, and also got very excited about the pieces moving "on their own".
We really try to encourage and support all such interests.

I'll have them look into it, and make sure he's got a chess set, be it automated or not. It seems to be "child friendly/safe" from the quick glimpse I just had.
We might get a simple manual set anyway, in part so the kindergartner can also "play". He tends to try to mimic his older brother whenever possible, which in cases like this is a plus. But not always, ahem :twisted:

RM
You might also consider (and/or) a travel size chess set. It might be useful if they have a chess club at school. Ours gets quite a bit of use when we are on trains (live in Europe) and when we go camping.