Hangouts alternative for calling landlines for free?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
happyisland

Hangouts alternative for calling landlines for free?

Post by happyisland »

I just got notice that Hangouts will be discontinued by Google in the coming months. For many years I have used Hangouts to call landline #s in the states from where I live outside the states. I just did some googling and was surprised that it was pretty difficult to find any alternatives.
I need an app that
1) will allow free phone calls to landline #s in the USA,
2) from outside the USA
I'd prefer not to have to use a VPN to make this work.
Does anyone have any good leads?
Katietsu

Re: Hangouts alternative for calling landlines for free?

Post by Katietsu »

There is another thread on this topic from a couple weeks ago. I currently use the hangouts iOS app. I have the Google Voice app installed but have not tried it . I was told it would serve the same function.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Yep, just use Google Voice. Works for me via browser on my PC, and works fine as an app on my Android. iOS app should work just as well.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

On the computer, voice.google.com in your browser. On the phone, download the google voice app. Both ways support calling and texting.
Topic Author
happyisland

Post by happyisland »

Thanks to the responses so far, but it looks like Google Voice only works for people who are located in the USA.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

happyisland wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:54 pm Thanks to the responses so far, but it looks like Google Voice only works for people who are located in the USA.
Where are you getting this information? I've used it outside the US. Just make sure you have wifi calling enabled.
Topic Author
happyisland

Post by happyisland »

nalor511 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:59 pm
happyisland wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:54 pm Thanks to the responses so far, but it looks like Google Voice only works for people who are located in the USA.
Where are you getting this information? I've used it outside the US. Just make sure you have wifi calling enabled.
Apparently you have to be in the States and have a USA # to sign up initially.
terran

Post by terran »

I'm pretty sure if you're using google hangouts for calling you already have a google voice account/number (that's how I used the hangouts app before the Voice app came along anyway). What happens if you log in to your google account at https://voice.google.com/ -- do you see a "call as" phone number in the upper right?
wander

Post by wander »

Facetime is also another option.
Topic Author
happyisland

Post by happyisland »

terran wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:32 pm I'm pretty sure if you're using google hangouts for calling you already have a google voice account/number (that's how I used the hangouts app before the Voice app came along anyway). What happens if you log in to your google account at https://voice.google.com/ -- do you see a "call as" phone number in the upper right?
No, unfortunately it requires hangout users to sign up for a voice account in order to make outgoing calls. To do that you need a USA phone number.
Topic Author
happyisland

Post by happyisland »

wander wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:36 pm Facetime is also another option.
Does facetime allow you to call a landline in the USA?
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

happyisland wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:39 pm
terran wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:32 pm I'm pretty sure if you're using google hangouts for calling you already have a google voice account/number (that's how I used the hangouts app before the Voice app came along anyway). What happens if you log in to your google account at https://voice.google.com/ -- do you see a "call as" phone number in the upper right?
No, unfortunately it requires hangout users to sign up for a voice account in order to make outgoing calls. To do that you need a USA phone number.
Ok well you didn't always need a US number to sign up. Use a VPN one time, and or pay a couple bucks for a prepaid burner throwaway number? Pay a friend a couple bucks to use their number one time to help you sign up? GV is a really great long term solution, it's been my only phone for 11 years
wander

Post by wander »

happyisland wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:41 pm
wander wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:36 pm Facetime is also another option.
Does facetime allow you to call a landline in the USA?
No
maxq

Post by maxq »

I don't know where the OP is located, but perhaps try TextNow or Talkatone apps. Both give you a US or Canadian phone number and have free basic plans similar to Google Voice, but maybe without some of the bells and whistles (transcription, etc). I have a friend in Canada that uses TextNow to call me in the States. It also worked fine for her back in the day when I had a landline.
Topic Author
happyisland

Post by happyisland »

maxq wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:31 pm I don't know where the OP is located, but perhaps try TextNow or Talkatone apps. Both give you a US or Canadian phone number and have free basic plans similar to Google Voice, but maybe without some of the bells and whistles (transcription, etc). I have a friend in Canada that uses TextNow to call me in the States. It also worked fine for her back in the day when I had a landline.
thanks for the leads! Talkatone appeared to be region-blocked, but I installed TextNow and it worked perfectly. I now have a USA # (which I didn't really need) and the ability to call landlines in the USA for free (which I did need).
maxq

Post by maxq »

:thumbsup

I wonder if you can leverage your shiny new USA number to set up a Google Voice number..... :-)