Value of sports memorabilia

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tennisplyr

Value of sports memorabilia

Post by tennisplyr »

Was wondering if anyone knows of a good site to get a sense of the value of some baseball memorabilia? I have a picture with genuine autographs of 2 deceased baseball legends (I was there when they signed it).
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
themesrob

Re: Value of sports memorabilia

Post by themesrob »

Looking at the sales prices of similar items on ebay is almost always the most accurate metric. Occasionally there will be outliers (and often those items will have been re-listed) but it will give you a ballpark. I would advise you, though, that unfortunately items which don't have a certificate of authenticity from someplace like JSA, and are simply attested to by the seller (and it sounds like that's the case with yours), go for much less than you might expect.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

themesrob wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:59 pm Looking at the sales prices of similar items on ebay is almost always the most accurate metric. Occasionally there will be outliers (and often those items will have been re-listed) but it will give you a ballpark. I would advise you, though, that unfortunately items which don't have a certificate of authenticity from someplace like JSA, and are simply attested to by the seller (and it sounds like that's the case with yours), go for much less than you might expect.
+1, great advice. My buddy does sports memorabilia as his career and he would say the same thing.
mikemagz11

Post by mikemagz11 »

themesrob wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:59 pm Looking at the sales prices of similar items on ebay is almost always the most accurate metric. Occasionally there will be outliers (and often those items will have been re-listed) but it will give you a ballpark. I would advise you, though, that unfortunately items which don't have a certificate of authenticity from someplace like JSA, and are simply attested to by the seller (and it sounds like that's the case with yours), go for much less than you might expect.
Agreed with all of this. eBay is definitely your best bet for finding the value. Without a COA, your item might be worth 1/10th what you think it should be. I would get it authenticated before selling it by a company like PSA, if that's what you plan on doing with it.
Dontwasteit

Post by Dontwasteit »

I never bothered to check the price but my wife was given a pair of Payton Manning's cleats (Autographed). I would imagine that would go for a decent price.
aarondearu

Post by aarondearu »