Choosing a Kindle Oasis over a Regular Paperwhite E-reader?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LunaLauren

Choosing a Kindle Oasis over a Regular Paperwhite E-reader?

Post by LunaLauren »

I've been looking at e-readers. I mostly buy e-books at Amazon.

If you chose an Oasis - around $250 over a regular Paperwhite - around $60, are there features of the Oasis that make that big price jump worth it to you?

Thanks
Jags4186

Re: Choosing a Kindle Oasis over a Regular Paperwhite E-reader?

Post by Jags4186 »

The oasis has buttons to turn the page which is literally the only reason I got an Oasis over another version. Get a used Oasis. Backmarket has them for $99 in “good” condition. I bought mine for $139 from amazon “refurbished.”
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

When I worked at Amazon I was a Kindle beta tester, so I used all of them extensively. The Oasis was absolutely my favorite, because it had page turn buttons and I could turn it upside down and hold it comfortably and turn pages with my left hand. And because the screen was better.

But when I left the job and had to spend my own money, I got a Paperwhite. When it really came down to it, there wasn’t enough difference to be worth the difference in price.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

I've looked at Kindle e-readers as a replacement for my 10 year old Kindle Keyboard e-reader.

While I haven't purchased yet, I have found absolutely no good reason to purchase anything other than a Kindle Paperwhite. Once my older Kindle finally dies, I'll get one. (I purchased one for my wife a few years ago.)

I read quite a lot. I can no longer live without a Kindle.

BTW, many libraries offer kindle e-books these days. If you can be a little patient, you can get most books for free.
Last edited by JoeRetire on Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
CAsage

Post by CAsage »

I don't remember what I paid for my Gold Oasis, but I love the slightly bigger screen, the offset shaping (thicker and wedgier along the side with the buttons, so you can hold it more easily with one hand), and I do use the page turn buttons. I think "worth it" depends on how much you read and how dearly you hold your dollars.
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.
CrossOverGuy

Post by CrossOverGuy »

I just got a new Paperwhite from Amazon in a package with a waterproof cover and an attachment so I can plug it into a wall socket. I already had an old Kindle but an older model I had gotten years ago as a gift. As I'm doing the set-up I see there's an offer for 1 month audible. If I dismiss this now, will it come up again? Or with possibly more months for a trial? I've also gotten an offer via e-mail for 3 months trial for the unlimited kindle which I might try as well. Anyway, was wondering if I should try the audible trial now (which is impeding me continuing with my setup to use the kindle) or will this offer not come around later? Thanks.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

I've been through most of the Kindles varieties (bot my first one in 2008). I've been using the Oasis since 1/17, the offset and buttons make it worth every penny to me. I do use the thing pretty close to 2hrs/day and keep waiting for it to die so I can try the new model, but it hasn't yet. I'm pretty sure this the longest I've been between Kindles.
bdaniel58

Post by bdaniel58 »

Buttons. Get it for the buttons. I read for an hour or more every night, laying on my side and holding the Oasis in my right hand. I can easily switch pages using my thumb with one hand.

Get it for the buttons.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I bought a Kindle Oasis, specifically this one, and then decided to pay the extra $20 to get rid of the ads.

It's awfully hard to say if it's worth far more than a Paperwhite. because before that, I was using Kindle Fires, and then the Kindle app on a tablet, so I didn't have a lot of experience with the "real" e-Ink Kindles.

The key feature for me was the adjustable warm light. I am very picky about that, I have been using warm color balances on my monitors for about 25 years now--originally by adjusting the monitor color temperature. Bright bluish screens seem to trigger migraines for me. Anyway the color temperature feature works, and my Oasis looks much warmer in color than my wife's Paperwhite, and that's important to me. (And I don't even have it set for the very warmest setting).

I also liked the fact that it is supposedly waterproof, since I was planning to take it camping, and I plumped for 32GB of storage because I just didn't want to think about it. In particular I wanted plenty of space for audiobook audio, because I had been planning to use that on our trip (delayed because of the pandemic).

It has all the Kindle e-Ink virtues. I love the paper-like display and, yes, it does seem more stable or calmer than a traditional light-emitting display. I like the battery life (which has the side effect of greatly extending the battery life on my tablet, now that I'm not using it as my Kindle reader). I have a number of reservations about it. I find the user interface weird and idiosyncratic. I still find it intensely annoying that you can't customize the turned-off screen and, in particular, you don't have the option displaying the currently open page when it is turned off. I bought 32GB because I have rather a lot of books, but I'm not sure the database is really up to the number I have; when I download a new book it takes several minutes for it to be ready to read after downloading, and it has been developing an unpleasant habit of spontaneously rebooting about once a day.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
ByThePond

Post by ByThePond »

I have used older kindles until they were no longer supported in downloading, but we now have two Oases.
We went through the same questions and went with the Oases because of the easy-to-hold offset battery grip and the page buttons. The page orientation will automatically shift when switching the grip from one hand to the other, as do the buttons.
It's so much easier to turn off the touchscreen so you don't accidentally switch pages (as I fat-fingerdly do) and tap the physical buttons with your thumb.
rj49

Post by rj49 »

A larger page size is the biggest sell for me. Physical page buttons are also huge, so you avoid endless tapping, which can sometimes be imprecise. Being able to change reading orientation is also handy, so I can change which hand holds the thicker end. The Oasis also has a flush screen, whereas the Paperweight has a raised bezel. I tried different Nook and Kobo devices, but none beat the Oasis, especially now that it has the adaptive backlight with various color warmths that Kobo pioneered. I use the Calibre program to convert epub files to be able to read on the Kindle, but I also read epub books on an ipad mini, which is my favorite for reading at night in bed, since it converts to white text on black background and has even more screen real estate than the Oasis, and I can use various reading apps, Kindle, Google Play Books, and ibooks. I keep a Paperwhite in my car to read when I'm waiting somewhere or if I want to read in a park somewhere. My cat also loves scratching her face on the hard Oasis cover too.
kramer

Post by kramer »

FYI, the Paperwhite is "due" for an upgrade (last upgraded in 2018, and the other two Kindles have both been upgraded since then). There are rumors that it would have been out already except for Covid-related supply chain issues. On the other hand, technology in this area advances pretty slowly, so there may not be big improvements. Apparently, many are hoping for the warm lighting and USB-C.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Size. It’s only an inch, but makes a difference. My presbyopia means I have to have a larger font, and the extra space means not having to turn pages as often. This article discusses the pros and cons of each. They give the nod to the paper white.
https://www.hookedtobooks.com/kindle-oa ... aperwhite/
SifuGinSaing

Post by SifuGinSaing »

I got the basic last year and recently upgraded to Oasis. If you read a lot I think you should just splurge and get the Oasis. I like the physical page turn buttons, bigger screen, and warm light. Yes, it more expensive but if you spend a lot of hours reading it is worth. In addition, Kindles last forever. Is $200 really that much spread out over 4 years?

Get a local library card and set up Overdrive/Libby. You can download ebook from the comfort of your home. Imo, e-readers are worth their price just for this convenience.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Have used most of the kindles, fires, readers, etc.
The Oasis loaded with no ads has been my "go to reader", well worth the $.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

I read a lot, really a lot, everywhere. I carry my Kindle around as people carry cell phones -- and that is the reason I prefer Paperwhite over Oasis. Paperwhite is narrower, so I can easily carry it in my jeans/trouser pocket, it fits pretty much everywhere. Yes, Oasis is better if you keep it at home. If you carry your reader on you at all times like I do, get Paperwhite instead.
irrationalexuberance

Post by irrationalexuberance »

I love the Oasis for the adjustable warm light, bigger screen and buttons.

It is overpriced, but Amazon does great discounts around Prime Day, and I bet they'll do something for Black Friday. During the last sale, the combination of trading in my 2017 Oasis and the discount allowed me to upgrade for $75, which was totally worth it!
simmias

Post by simmias »

I have both and I absolutely love my Oasis. But like others said, I waited until I could get a screaming deal on one. They had the 9th generation Oasis for $150 around last BF, and were offering a trade-in bonus on top of it. I ended up trading in my old 2nd generation keyboard Kindle and was out the door for $115.

It has a bigger screen, better light, and the buttons are awesome. Plus tons of storage. I love it and haven't gone back to my Paperwhite since (although I keep it as a backup).
steadierfooting

Post by steadierfooting »

I upgraded mine on prime day from a 7 year old paperwhite to an oasis. It's not life-changing. My test was I used it for 2 weeks then switched back to the paperwhite. I didn't miss anything. Usually with technology upgraded I immediately see an improvement.
skinnybuddha

Post by skinnybuddha »

I bought an Oasis early as a treat for myself/to replace a broken paperwhite, and I totally regretted it. The biggest issue, as serbeer pointed out, is that the Oasis's larger size makes it harder to carry around. I ended up getting a new paperwhite a few months later.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

One drawback to the Oasis is poorer battery life than the Paperwhite. You have to decide if the larger screen, buttons, warm light are pros or cons.

The Oasis is front lit with 25 LEDs while the PW has much less. In theory this should provide for much more even lighting of the screen. My wife has an older PW and the lighting is uneven and blotchy looking which I really don't like -- I think the newer version is improved. I also don't like the touch screen.

Another option similar to the Oasis but less $$ is the Kobo Libra H2O. You may want to look into it.

For more info than you can digest on ereaders: mobileread.com.