Non-Alcoholic Beer/Wine/Mock Cocktails

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LunaLauren

Non-Alcoholic Beer/Wine/Mock Cocktails

Post by LunaLauren »

For reasons irrelevant, for the next few months, during the holiday season, I'll need to keep some non alcoholic wines, beer or even "mocktails" around the home.

I get that the flavor profile is not the same, some of you would rather go without.....yada yada yada....but if you have any to recommend, please do so!

Thanks
tm3

Re: Non-Alcoholic Beer/Wine/Mock Cocktails

Post by tm3 »

Squeeze wedge of lemon or lime over rocks, add about 1-2 tbsp St Germaine liqueur, fill with diet tonic water.

I guess there is a tiny amount of alcohol from the SG but not much.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

A company called seedlip makes a non alcoholic distilled "liquors" They are very tasty and unique flavors. The Garden flavor is the best IMO.
barneycat

Post by barneycat »

I've started drinking these as well, just for better sleep :)

Lagunitas Hop Water - really good but pricey for dry hopped water
Becks and Heinekin - these are the best of the non-alcoholic IMO
Chrono Triggered

Post by Chrono Triggered »

I've heard good things about beer from Athletic Brewing. Can't personally speak on it but I would look into it.
windaar

Post by windaar »

The best NA beers are Erdinger and Clausthaler, especially the Clausthaler hoppy amber dry. You can get Clausthaler at Trader Joe's. For fake wine just try a dry red juice like cranberry or tart cherry mixed with some water in a wine glass. Cocktail: diet tonic water with a lime slice.
Nobody knows nothing.
Watty

Post by Watty »

LunaLauren wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:07 am I get that the flavor profile is not the same, some of you would rather go without.....yada yada yada....but if you have any to recommend, please do so!
One thing you may also want to keep on hand is diet ginger ale or diet 7-up. When I am driving I basically do not drink except for maybe a beer or wine with dinner. A lot of times when I am at a party there will be things like coke or diet coke but rarely will there be much of anything that is both sugar free and caffeine free. When I drink something with sugar or caffeine it will tend to make it hard to go to sleep and I do not need the extra sugar. Even fruit juice has a lot of sugar in it. When appropriate I will often bring diet ginger ale with me and I have noticed that other people often choose to drink that too.
SmallSaver

Post by SmallSaver »

Shrubs + seltzer water. Serve like a cocktail on the rocks with a garnish. A lot of cocktails can be basically made virgin, fresh squeezed lime juice + simple syrup + mint/rosemary + seltzer is pretty good.
BBBob

Post by BBBob »

Chrono Triggered wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:41 am I've heard good things about beer from Athletic Brewing. Can't personally speak on it but I would look into it.
They are my go-to beers now. I am not an IPA fan so avoid those, but their "All Out Stout", their "Rise" caffeinated beer and their Cerveza are really good IMO.
wabbajack

Post by wabbajack »

I cannot drink due to flush reaction, so I'm interested to know what other people do. I've found that non-alcoholic beers are uniformly disgusting, except for Heineken Zero. That tastes like real beer, which is barely tolerable. If you're after something that has the taste/texture of wine, I suggest the Cherry Pomegranate juice by POMS. There's enough complexity in the taste that it could pass for something you would sip in a glass.

Personally I've redirected my tastes to Mexican Coca-Cola or ginger beer. If you're lucky enough to get the peach flavored Mexican coke where you live, I'd buy a case of that.

EDIT: I forgot to mention kombucha. I drank a lot of kombucha for a year or two, but the flavors eventually got boring so I stopped. That may be a good substitute if you like the tangy fizz taste.
Last edited by wabbajack on Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

OP, be aware that not all non-alcoholic beer is 0% alcohol as n-a beer sold in the U.S. is allowed to have a small amount of alcohol.
Angst

Post by Angst »

- juice & pulp of 1/2 a lime
- celery seed
- a couple dashes of pepper
- several good sized slugs of an interesting hot sauce
- 8 oz of cold tomato juice
- no ice
Ready3Retire

Post by Ready3Retire »

We drink St. Pauli Girl NA and really like it.
Mysmaven

Post by Mysmaven »

I have tried both Lyre and Curious Elixir recently. Curious Elixir, to me, was like a somewhat more complex soft drink, and not bad. Too expensive, in my opinion, and the 4 flavors didn’t seem very distinct from each other to me.

Lyre has a wide variety of choices that are supposed to mimic various alcohols. We tried some of the aperitif like ones and preferred the Rosso, which seemed somewhat like a thinner version of Campari. They are ok over ice, and also OK with a good tonic. Again, IMO, very expensive. It’s cheaper to just buy the alcohol, which just seems wrong to me.
Quirkz

Post by Quirkz »

Sometimes when I'm not drinking, especially in the cooler months, I switch over to tea as a substitute. It's highly dependent on what you're looking for, as a mug of tea might not go with the wine glasses on the Thanksgiving table, but on a regular evening if you're just looking for something tasty to sip it can scratch the same itch.

There are a *lot* of flavors out there these days, including uncaffeinated herbal teas, so there could be something for just about any occasion.
Crmck26

Post by Crmck26 »

[url]https://athleticbrewing.com/?gclid=CjwK ... vD_BwE[url]

Athletic Brewing seems indistinguishable to actual beer to me. Definitely worth a try.
Orange44

Post by Orange44 »

Big fan of diet tonic over regular. Use a tumbler to add an ounce of lemon or lime juice for the bitter. Big Ice Cubes are fun. Cherry/Slices of Lime or Lemon always. Stuffed olives are fun in some drinks. Also margarita mix is good if calories are ok. The more effort the more fun its for the non drinker. Makes them special and welcome. Always use a drink glass vs the regular I am not drinking glasses. Hot Cider and Cinnamon sticks.

:sharebeer
happyisland

Post by happyisland »

BG Reynolds makes a bunch of tiki cocktail syrups that are great and exotic. One of my particular favorites is "Falernum": https://bgreynolds.com/products/falernu ... 5672141937

Maybe some of that, some soda water, some lemon or fruit juice with some tartness to it? Delicious!
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

I only drink NA beers these days and then not that often. I agree with the above comments on Athletic Brewing Co., Clausthaler and St. Pauli Girl. I also like Kaliber (made by Guinness). Speaking of Guinness, I see they’ve just come out with an NA Stout but haven’t tried it yet. My expectations for it aren’t high. Becks is also very good. Buckler (made by Heineken) is a lower priced NA that is pretty good. I’ve yet to find an American NA from any of the big brewers (Anheuser Bush, Miller, Coors) that is worth drinking. I’d prefer a seltzer or a Diet Coke.

Can’t help on mocktails.
Friar1610
firedup

Post by firedup »

Clausthaler and Heineken 0 are my two favorite non-alcoholic beers.

I've also enjoyed Gerstel from Trader Joe's but haven't seen it in my area recently. :sharebeer
"We are more alike, my friends, than we are unalike" --Maya Angelou
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

I've been told that Trader Joe's has alcohol-free wine - but free enough for my state's liquor control :annoyed

I think I tried Fre in the distant past, and thought it was OK, but not sure.
MP123

Post by MP123 »

Ginger beer is non-alcoholic, with a lime it's sort of like a Moscow Mule.

Tonic water with lime is pretty close to a Gin and Tonic, or a Vodka Tonic for that matter. :D

Both are available in diet and regular versions.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

I like Shirley Temples. But then, I would be happy to just eat the cherries...
BBBob

Post by BBBob »

friar1610 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:40 pm I only drink NA beers these days and then not that often. I agree with the above comments on Athletic Brewing Co., Clausthaler and St. Pauli Girl. I also like Kaliber (made by Guinness).
+1 on all the above, esp. Kaliber. Athletic's stout and Rise beers are still my #1 go-to's though. FWIW, Bitburger has an NA beer called Drive, which is also pretty good.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

My favorite non-alcoholic beer is Suntory, but I can't find it in my hometown--only in Japan.

EDIT: Just found it on Amazon! Pricey, but just placed an order: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BV ... UTF8&psc=1

My next favorite is Clausthaler.

If all else fails, Buckler.

Additional edit: Amazon sells an Alcohol-Free variety pack:

https://www.amazon.com/Non-Alcoholic-Be ... ery&sr=1-5
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

These, curious elixirs, are recommended on Mark Bittman's blog:
https://curiouselixirs.com/
https://heated.medium.com/the-bittman-t ... 6ad39cadc0
Pigeon

Post by Pigeon »

I don't drink anymore, but like the occasional O'Douls. There are better brands but they are not stocked too many places where I live.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

I was blown away by the NA beers I encountered in Germany a few years ago. Every tavern seemed to have them so that the DD in a group could drink alongside the rest of the party.
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

Tonic water with lime and a dash of Angostura bitters is pretty good. Club soda with just lime (or lemon) is nice and refreshing. I haven't tried any NA beer or wine, so I can't speak to that category. A family member who is an alcoholic (13 years sober!) is partial to sparkling grape juice (usually the Welch's brand) and sparkling apple cider (Martinelli's) for a festive feel when wine or champagne would typically be served.

I drink herbal tea on nights when I don't want to drink alcohol, but still crave "something tasty to sip on" with my after-dinner book, TV, or conversation. Peppermint and chamomile are my favorites. Not quite the same as a cocktail substitute, though.
usedtoplayrugby

Post by usedtoplayrugby »

I also like the Clausthaler NA beers. The Athletic's "Run Wild" IPA tastes just like an IPA -- big fan of one of these after a long bike ride.

On the mocktail front, I like to have these bitter Italian sodas (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076H ... UTF8&psc=1) with some seltzer water and a squeeze of citrus. For the holidays I am going to try mixing these with an NA Gin like Seedlip or Monday to see if I can get close to a Negroni (I love the bitterness; don't love the hangover...)