Herman miller desk?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
alex123711

Herman miller desk?

Post by alex123711 »

I know Herman Miller Chairs have a good reputation, but what about desks, are they really worth the price as well?
jucor

Re: Herman miller desk?

Post by jucor »

alex123711 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:05 am I know Herman Miller Chairs have a good reputation, but what about desks, are they really worth the price as well?
Unless you have some burning need to have the Eames designed model or are committed to the idea of a motorized sit/stand desk, I'd say no. most of their desk are quite simple, and there really is not much to justify their high prices, IMHO. Unlike a chair, there's not too much to worry about with desks -- you won't be sitting on it, and most dimensions are fairly standard. If you're abnormally tall or short be sure you get something that's height adjustable, but for the vast majority of folks a standard desk works just fine.

I'm sure that they're well-made, but the desks they sell are simple, and it is not hard to get one that's well made for a lot less.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

alex123711 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:05 am I know Herman Miller Chairs have a good reputation, but what about desks, are they really worth the price as well?
FWIW My best recent office purchase has been a high quality electric sit stand desk. My older “L” shape office desk relocated to another wall. Better workflow and practical.

Desks, for me, usually disappear under a mass of files and “work in progress” so pricey ones wouldn’t matter.
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Sic Vis Pacem

Post by Sic Vis Pacem »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:13 am My best recent office purchase has been a high quality electric sit stand desk.
What did you go with? I'm in the market now but am having some difficulty in parsing the options.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Sic Vis Pacem wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:34 am
Sandtrap wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:13 am My best recent office purchase has been a high quality electric sit stand desk.
What did you go with? I'm in the market now but am having some difficulty in parsing the options.
Jarvis stand up desk.
$735.00

Heights are programmable.
Very solid and stable. Cheaper ones are wobbly.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

I bought this desk, it is very stable and sturdy and is a nice size and is a good value at the price ($120).

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

The extra-large version is only $160 (over 5-feet wide).
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

I tried to buy a Henry Miller desk once, but they were banned.
Stay on target...
Sic Vis Pacem

Post by Sic Vis Pacem »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:27 pm Jarvis stand up desk.
$735.00
Thank you! :sharebeer
SomberReptiles

Post by SomberReptiles »

Back in October I bought a Vari Electric sit/stand desk through Amazon
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1
It arrived on time, easy to assemble. Works fine. I think the "crossbar" between the legs helps reduce any wobble.
Yes, $640, but I have no regrets so far.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

I've always followed the startup practice of using cheap, folding tables as desks. When I want to work standing, I use the kitchen counter.