Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
Tenesmus83
Posts: 90
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:32 pm

Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by Tenesmus83 »

Really liked the car after test driving. For those who own one, can you please comment on the reliability, maintenance, and any regrets.
manatee2005
Posts: 1077
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:17 pm

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by manatee2005 »

Tenesmus83 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:38 pm Really liked the car after test driving. For those who own one, can you please comment on the reliability, maintenance, and any regrets.
What's the price out the door?
jello_nailer
Posts: 294
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:20 pm

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by jello_nailer »

I had one. I now have a Porsche Macan base.
FoolStreet
Posts: 1090
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:18 am

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by FoolStreet »

Tenesmus83 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:38 pm Really liked the car after test driving. For those who own one, can you please comment on the reliability, maintenance, and any regrets.
Have you tried the Tesla Model Y? Seems like it’s getting a ton of attention. I have a 3 and coming from an x really like it.
Ninjadoc
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:19 pm

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by Ninjadoc »

Reliable as long as you keep up with scheduled maintenance. Routine repairs can be expensive.

I've had mine for 16 years and going. No regrets!
QBoy
Posts: 86
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 7:09 am

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by QBoy »

My wife loves hers.
checkyourmath
Posts: 124
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:46 pm

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by checkyourmath »

I own a Saturn SL 2001 4 door manual. It is paid off. A sweet BMW would be great. I think the whole vehicle industry is changing and until we can talk watts/mile I would probably hold off. Everyone understands miles per gallon but electric motors are 4x more efficienct which is why watts/mile is relevant. I know gasoline is 100x more energy dense but still at the rate of change we have seen over the last 5 years it is hard imagine the near term future.
bigred77
Posts: 2042
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:53 pm

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by bigred77 »

My wife’s past 2 vehicle purchases have both been X3s (2007 and 2014). Both have been great. Maintenance is a little more expensive but nothing crazy if you have access to an independent mechanic shop who has experience with the German brands. The 2014 model was bought CPO in 2017 with about 35k miles on it for $24k and I think the value has been outstanding. We have 2 kids under the age of 3 and it fits both car seats and all the “stuff” just fine as a family hauler (although there are days when more room would be nice to have, if only because I’m a pretty big guy).
RJC
Posts: 715
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:40 pm

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by RJC »

We are a BMW family but recent design changes make us question where they are going (huge buck tooth grills). Tesla and Porsche are looking more interesting these days.
JackieBog46
Posts: 19
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:51 am

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by JackieBog46 »

I have a 2005 X3 (bought new in 11/04) with 156,000 miles and my wife has a 2016 X3 with 70K miles. These cars are built like a tank and have been relatively inexpensive to maintain. Yes, a brake job with rotors will cost you something like $1,200 but I got 94,000 miles from my original brakes and am still on my second set. So, $1,200 for 156,000 miles - I'll take it! I had one other suspension repair that cost around $1,300 and a $500 starter replacement at 150K miles. Also the obligatory head gasket replacement at 100K miles ($900) and that's it. So, over 16 years and 156K miles, I've had maybe $4.7K in maintenance and repairs, including oil changes. That's about $300 per year or $25/month. I think that's pretty good for a BMW. My wife's X3 has had just routine maintenance so far. Her brakes are probably due for replacement soon.
JackoC
Posts: 1864
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:14 am

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by JackoC »

FoolStreet wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:46 pm
Tenesmus83 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:38 pm Really liked the car after test driving. For those who own one, can you please comment on the reliability, maintenance, and any regrets.
Have you tried the Tesla Model Y? Seems like it’s getting a ton of attention. I have a 3 and coming from an x really like it.
Consumer Reports gives it 50 out of 100 score overall, 1/5 for reliability. Latest X3 got 69 overall and 2/5 for reliability. In latest manufacturer reliability ranking Tesla was 25th (next to last, which was Lincoln), BMW 12th. FWIW. Model ranking from logging onto CR as subscriber, but article from CNBC gives some info:
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/19/tesla-m ... ports.html
ubermax
Posts: 1675
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:19 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by ubermax »

We had a 2008 X3 stick with running boards , around that time the Bimmerfest online forum was rating the German made manual transmission ahead of the GM 6 automatic and wife and I had always driven stick - we kept it for 10 years - during the first few years it was peppy and nimble but the ride was sporty for the driver but a bit trucky for everyone else - I can't speak for the new models but you took a test drive and can make some judgements based on that feedback - I think BMWs across the board whether sedan or SUV tend to all have a sporty feel in their DNA .

Now we have a 2016 Audi Q5 3T and love it , we're probably a bit older than you I'm guessing , very peppy , handles great for us , and the ride is much more cushy - our other vehicle is a 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited ( not a Grand ) and we bought it because we need two vehicles and like having an SUV and also we wanted to keep the mileage down on the Audi .

Eventually we'd like to get another Audi but the current standard is 4 cyl and a big premium for a 6 so we'll see .

My two cents , hope it helped with your decision .

Good Luck !!
User avatar
wander
Posts: 3365
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by wander »

Tenesmus83 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:38 pm Really liked the car after test driving. For those who own one, can you please comment on the reliability, maintenance, and any regrets.
I don't think anyone on this forum will give you an answer without knowing your income, networth, debt ... If you like the car and can afford it, then go ahead buy it at once, you don't need anyone's opinion for buying a car.
SeaToTheBay
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:11 pm

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by SeaToTheBay »

If you can get used to the infotainment controls, I'd give the Acura RDX a shot. Can get similar performance and features as the X3 for many thousands less.
GmanJeff
Posts: 664
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:12 am

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by GmanJeff »

I have a X3M which I like. It provides much higher performance for less money than the alternatives from Porsche and Mercedes, is statistically much more reliable than the Alfa and Mercedes models, has a large range of available high-tech convenience and safety features, and is way more fun to drive than less sporty smaller SUVs from the Japanese and Korean marques. Depending on your priorities, drawbacks include the absence of a factory trailer hitch option and standard summer tires.
Geronkas
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:08 pm

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by Geronkas »

I have a 2020 BMW X3 M40i. I really like it’s combination of sportiness and practicality. 382 HP, nimble and quick.
bogledogle
Posts: 323
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 4:34 pm

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by bogledogle »

Tenesmus83 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:38 pm Really liked the car after test driving. For those who own one, can you please comment on the reliability, maintenance, and any regrets.
X3 is a great car. The secret to BMW reliability is regular maintenance and not skimping on oil changes trying to get the last mile out of the oil. Get oil changes done a little early - it's the cheapest and yet the most important maintenance item.

If you plan on keeping the car for a very long time, change the transmission and differential fluids at 60k miles - BMW does not require these because they want you to buy a new car every 4-5 years.
Aaabbbccc
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:54 am

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by Aaabbbccc »

jello_nailer wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:46 pm I had one. I now have a Porsche Macan base.
How do they compare? Currently have a x3m40i so a bit different than a base X3 in terms of performance but still curious
rankl
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:43 am

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by rankl »

I bought built to order new 2019 BMW X3, its an amazing vehicle, drive is exhilarating, throttle response and handling is awesome, you always feel confident on turns as it hugs the road. Long trips felt very comfortable, I have also souped it up with all the tech stuff. which is ok, not perfect.

Once I was set on the model, could able to bargain by emailing ~ 6 or 7 dealers around me, got ~ 16% off msrp.
jello_nailer
Posts: 294
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:20 pm

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by jello_nailer »

Aaabbbccc wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:28 pm
jello_nailer wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:46 pm I had one. I now have a Porsche Macan base.
How do they compare? Currently have a x3m40i so a bit different than a base X3 in terms of performance but still curious
I had the base in both, what you have is a much larger engine being 3.0 6 cyl turbo so it would be much quicker. I'm either in Houston stop and go traffic or I'm simply cruising in traffic so the 2.0 is fine for me.

The X3 felt too small SUV to me, the Macan feel more like a car and to me it's more comfortable.
anoop
Posts: 1852
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:33 am

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by anoop »

In that class, Alex on Autos top 3 recommendations are XC60 (overall), GLC (sporty), and RDX (value). X3 does everything well but doesn't stand out in any category. I have an RDX. I found the X3 uncomfortable but that was in 2018 before the redesign.
makingmistakes
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:59 am

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by makingmistakes »

wander wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:46 pm
Tenesmus83 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:38 pm Really liked the car after test driving. For those who own one, can you please comment on the reliability, maintenance, and any regrets.
I don't think anyone on this forum will give you an answer without knowing your income, networth, debt ... If you like the car and can afford it, then go ahead buy it at once, you don't need anyone's opinion for buying a car.
But he’s not asking “can I afford it”.
angelescrest
Posts: 1122
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 10:48 am
Location: Texas

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by angelescrest »

wander wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:46 pm
Tenesmus83 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:38 pm Really liked the car after test driving. For those who own one, can you please comment on the reliability, maintenance, and any regrets.
I don't think anyone on this forum will give you an answer without knowing your income, networth, debt ... If you like the car and can afford it, then go ahead buy it at once, you don't need anyone's opinion for buying a car.
They’re not asking if they can afford it, they’re asking for input on whether or not the X3 is reliable and what the maintenance is like. Asking for input on personal consumer matters is precisely why this subforum exists.
JackoC
Posts: 1864
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:14 am

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by JackoC »

jello_nailer wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:12 pm
Aaabbbccc wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:28 pm
jello_nailer wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:46 pm I had one. I now have a Porsche Macan base.
How do they compare? Currently have a x3m40i so a bit different than a base X3 in terms of performance but still curious
I had the base in both, what you have is a much larger engine being 3.0 6 cyl turbo so it would be much quicker. I'm either in Houston stop and go traffic or I'm simply cruising in traffic so the 2.0 is fine for me.

The X3 felt too small SUV to me, the Macan feel more like a car and to me it's more comfortable.
To give again Consumer Rep's relative comparison latest X3 scored 69 overall 2/5 reliability. Macan 76 score 3/5. We can probably assume it applies to base models in both cases. One could look up the specific tables of trouble by system where there are often separate ones for different engine options.

I would also lean Macan from what I've read and heard. If I was trying to get luxury/utility/sport in one vehicle. Even though I like BMW's generally. Our current line up is a 2005 Lexus GX SUV (luxury and utility, no sport) and 2018 BMW M2 (marginal luxury and utility, lots of sport). Although the Lexus isn't that bad at accelerating which seems like often what's desired in a powerful SUV, just zero real sportiness. For general sporty feel on populated roads a sporty SUV is probably satisfying. On remote mountain roads with lots of switchback hairpins the M2 is difficult to beat I believe by even really good handling SUV's or even cars which can easily best it on a relatively high speed track. Without trips to those places being a major use of the car, I'd probably seek a more balanced solution.
Carguy85
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:26 pm

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by Carguy85 »

RJC wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:58 am huge buck tooth grills
Lol never woulda thought that and I’m a dentist!
jello_nailer
Posts: 294
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:20 pm

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by jello_nailer »

I would like to add that I don't feel the X3 was bad, it was a little vanilla. No wow in anything, pretty good but not especially exceptional, but I did have a base model.
The Macan feels like a baby Panamera that I can throw stuff in the back and I don't have to bend down to get in. I do have a Porsche bias though as I have a 997S, a Pig (Cayenne Turbo), and I track a 964, so a Macan has a personality I am comfortable with.
My X3 was dependable through 70K miles EXCEPT I hated the run flat tires! (That's probably at least half the reason I moved on).
Dottie57
Posts: 9335
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm
Location: Earth Northern Hemisphere

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by Dottie57 »

No - cuz we don’t know if you can afford it.
vfinx
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:35 pm

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by vfinx »

I had an X3 of the previous generation (F25) for a few years and liked it a lot. Spring for the bigger engine if you can. It’s not just about the speed or power specs. It just feels a lot better, even when you’re not pushing it.

For me it was a great balance of sportiness, efficiency, refinement, comfort and luxury. It doesn’t lead in any of those qualities individually, but it’s “pretty good” in all of them. If you’re not really sure yet what your priorities are, then it’s a safe choice. I also believe that iDrive is easier to use than any of its competitors systems (though you will get used to whatever you buy eventually).
User avatar
mokaThought
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:57 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by mokaThought »

Is this a "I always drive luxury cars" thing or a first time purchase and something that's just in your system? If the latter, I usually see YouTube car guys recommending leasing. "Get it out of your system" while knowing exactly how much you're going to pay before maintenance problems become more expensive. That also solves some of the questions others are raising about viability of electric in the near future.

Then again, I'm a "poor" truck driver compared to most here. :happy
70% stocks — 63% US TSM, 27% FTSE Dev Mkt All Cap ex-US, 10% REIT | 30% bonds — 50% TSP G Fund, 50% TSP F Fund
edge
Posts: 3495
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:44 pm
Location: NY

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by edge »

Why not swap the tires?
jello_nailer wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:01 pm I would like to add that I don't feel the X3 was bad, it was a little vanilla. No wow in anything, pretty good but not especially exceptional, but I did have a base model.
The Macan feels like a baby Panamera that I can throw stuff in the back and I don't have to bend down to get in. I do have a Porsche bias though as I have a 997S, a Pig (Cayenne Turbo), and I track a 964, so a Macan has a personality I am comfortable with.
My X3 was dependable through 70K miles EXCEPT I hated the run flat tires! (That's probably at least half the reason I moved on).
User avatar
mokaThought
Posts: 187
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:57 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by mokaThought »

edge wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:29 am Why not swap the tires?
jello_nailer wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:01 pm I would like to add that I don't feel the X3 was bad, it was a little vanilla. No wow in anything, pretty good but not especially exceptional, but I did have a base model.
The Macan feels like a baby Panamera that I can throw stuff in the back and I don't have to bend down to get in. I do have a Porsche bias though as I have a 997S, a Pig (Cayenne Turbo), and I track a 964, so a Macan has a personality I am comfortable with.
My X3 was dependable through 70K miles EXCEPT I hated the run flat tires! (That's probably at least half the reason I moved on).
OEM run-flats usually mean there is no spare tire.
70% stocks — 63% US TSM, 27% FTSE Dev Mkt All Cap ex-US, 10% REIT | 30% bonds — 50% TSP G Fund, 50% TSP F Fund
User avatar
CardinalRule
Posts: 505
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:01 am
Location: United States

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by CardinalRule »

FoolStreet wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:46 pm
Tenesmus83 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:38 pm Really liked the car after test driving. For those who own one, can you please comment on the reliability, maintenance, and any regrets.
Have you tried the Tesla Model Y? Seems like it’s getting a ton of attention. I have a 3 and coming from an x really like it.
I have had my eye on the X3 for a couple of years now. Not a big fan of its styling (personal preference, of course) compared to some other SUVs, but there is a lot to like. More recently, I have started thinking about the xDrive30e variant:

https://www.bmwusa.com/vehicles/x-model ... ybrid.html
neilpilot
Posts: 3470
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by neilpilot »

mokaThought wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:14 am
edge wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:29 am Why not swap the tires?
jello_nailer wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:01 pm I would like to add that I don't feel the X3 was bad, it was a little vanilla. No wow in anything, pretty good but not especially exceptional, but I did have a base model.
The Macan feels like a baby Panamera that I can throw stuff in the back and I don't have to bend down to get in. I do have a Porsche bias though as I have a 997S, a Pig (Cayenne Turbo), and I track a 964, so a Macan has a personality I am comfortable with.
My X3 was dependable through 70K miles EXCEPT I hated the run flat tires! (That's probably at least half the reason I moved on).
OEM run-flats usually mean there is no spare tire.
I think newer cars often lack a spare tire, even if they don't ship with run flats. Here's my solution: viewtopic.php?p=4999989#p4999989
JackoC
Posts: 1864
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:14 am

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by JackoC »

neilpilot wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:58 am
mokaThought wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:14 am
edge wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:29 am Why not swap the tires?
jello_nailer wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:01 pm I would like to add that I don't feel the X3 was bad, it was a little vanilla. No wow in anything, pretty good but not especially exceptional, but I did have a base model.
The Macan feels like a baby Panamera that I can throw stuff in the back and I don't have to bend down to get in. I do have a Porsche bias though as I have a 997S, a Pig (Cayenne Turbo), and I track a 964, so a Macan has a personality I am comfortable with.
My X3 was dependable through 70K miles EXCEPT I hated the run flat tires! (That's probably at least half the reason I moved on).
OEM run-flats usually mean there is no spare tire.
I think newer cars often lack a spare tire, even if they don't ship with run flats. Here's my solution: viewtopic.php?p=4999989#p4999989
Right, with BMW's now if the car comes with non-run flats you still don't a get spare. My M2 like all M's I believe came on summer non-run flats without a spare. I, like you, bought a donut spare kit I keep in the trunk, reducing the otherwise usable volume quite a bit. It would take up less of an X3's space. I might be OK relying on the 'mobility kit' (electric pump and tire goop) that comes with the car, in local driving but not on long trips to remote areas. But I leave it in there all the time. More directly relevantly to the X3 experience, my 2015 328i came with run flats which I replaced with non-run flats (better especially over potholes but all around) and likewise got a spare kit.
Jack FFR1846
Posts: 12822
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am
Location: 26 miles, 385 yards west of Copley Square

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

When I owned my 90 E30 M3, not only did it come with a spare, but it was the same tire on the same BBS alloy wheel as the 4 on the car.

Ah....the old days. Today, you need to buy a Wrangler to get a real matched wheel/tire, it seems. (I have one of those too)
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
User avatar
Gort
Posts: 639
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:07 pm

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by Gort »

RJC wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:58 am We are a BMW family but recent design changes make us question where they are going (huge buck tooth grills). Tesla and Porsche are looking more interesting these days.
I agree! Have you seen the new 4 series coupe? The huge grill is hideous and they took away the BMW trademark Hofmeister kink from the rear side window. I used to have an E46 coupe in Imola red. I somewhat regret selling that car but it was getting pretty old and expensive to maintain. BMW doesn't have anything nearly as close in styling appeal today so I'm looking elsewhere too.
chrisjul
Posts: 224
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:15 pm

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by chrisjul »

I've owned BMW's over the years (no longer).

My assessment: They are great till they break. And they will.
RJC
Posts: 715
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:40 pm

Re: Should I buy a new BMW X3?

Post by RJC »

Gort wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:48 am
RJC wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:58 am We are a BMW family but recent design changes make us question where they are going (huge buck tooth grills). Tesla and Porsche are looking more interesting these days.
I agree! Have you seen the new 4 series coupe? The huge grill is hideous and they took away the BMW trademark Hofmeister kink from the rear side window. I used to have an E46 coupe in Imola red. I somewhat regret selling that car but it was getting pretty old and expensive to maintain. BMW doesn't have anything nearly as close in styling appeal today so I'm looking elsewhere too.
Yes, that was what I was referencing (new X7 too). It's getting bad to worse.
Post Reply