Recliner chair

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Cookiegirl

Recliner chair

Post by Cookiegirl »

We are looking for a recliner chair for the living room, not too expensive and not too bulky- any suggestions? Brands?
Thanks
Betterself

Re: Recliner chair

Post by Betterself »

We bought a few (400/ chair) in Costco store. The store usually carries furniture in late December, Jan and summer. Otherwise I will check local discount/ furniture outlets. Given the pandemic, I wouldn’t recommend the latter though
rixer

Post by rixer »

We have a power reclining loveseat with a counsel in the center from Flexsteel. We like it.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

Lazyboy.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

If you are getting older, an electric assist may come in handy. Can be handy after an injury or a surgery.
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

If you like the style, then Ekornes Stressless.
https://www.stressless.com/en

Bought one in 1975 and replaced it 2011 because I failed to take care of it and the leather dried out.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

rixer wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:26 am We have a power reclining loveseat with a counsel in the center from Flexsteel. We like it.
It's important to have access to competent legal representation, but this is carrying it too far.

(There have been several other discussions of recliners, use the search. No reason to repeat here).
cs412a

Post by cs412a »

Bogle7 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:48 am If you like the style, then Ekornes Stressless.
Not inexpensive (currently ~$2000 in my area). However, IMO it's worth the price. I can't sit in most chairs for too long without getting pain in my sit bones. Never had any problem in my Stressless recliner. So comfortable, and the chair moves with you so it's easy to get up from it. Purchased my first in 2007 (for $1500), and just got another one (for my guests) this summer.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

Lalamimi wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:31 amLazyboy.
+1
I’m reclining in mine right now. I love it, and would recommend it to anyone.

Of course there are many models. DW and I were in the showroom because she wanted a convertible sofa/sleeper. While she was looking at some I asked our salesperson what he’d recommend for me. He looked me up and down, confirmed my weight and height, and brought me to a specific chair. I tried it, chose my fabric (NOT leather), etc., and have been happy ever since. Great for reclining, taking a nap, studying Spanish, or reading. I think it was about $600, but I forget. The quality seems good to me.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

Jazztonight wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:28 pm
+1
I’m reclining in mine right now. I love it, and would recommend it to anyone.

Of course there are many models. DW and I were in the showroom because she wanted a convertible sofa/sleeper. While she was looking at some I asked our salesperson what he’d recommend for me. He looked me up and down, confirmed my weight and height, and brought me to a specific chair. I tried it, chose my fabric (NOT leather), etc., and have been happy ever since. Great for reclining, taking a nap, studying Spanish, or reading. I think it was about $600, but I forget. The quality seems good to me.
Me too! We actually have two - mine and one I purchased for my mother that she did not like (too big). DH is in his leather one from Louis Shanks....
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

Bogle7 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:48 am If you like the style, then Ekornes Stressless.

Bought one in 1975 and replaced it 2011 because I failed to take care of it and the leather dried out.
This. Definitely not too bulky. I bought one used in 1994 (no idea how old it was) and it still looks great and is comfortable.
hsmith

Post by hsmith »

I agree that La-z-boy makes good chairs. I had a La-z-boy chair for my office and after 15+ years it was as comfortable as it was on day 1.

However, I had a bad experience with La-z-boy recently, so if you're considering a purchase, be forewarned. I went to a La-z-boy store to order a recliner for my home office, and found one that I liked a lot. When I placed the order, the salesperson told me it would be delivered in approximately 2-3 months (September to November-December, 2020). That wasn't ideal but it was understandable during a pandemic.

But they called me last week and "updated" the delivery date to March, 2021 - four more months! They wouldn't let me cancel the order. Since they are holding my sizeable deposit, I have no choice but to wait, and hope that they don't give me any more "updates."

I did some Googling and found a transcript of a La-z-boy earnings call from August, 2020. https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-tran ... s-call-tr/ I interpret it to mean that they underestimated how strong demand would be during the pandemic, closed one of their manufacturing plants and furloughed too much of their work force elsewhere, resulting in a huge backlog of orders.

So if you're ordering a La-z-boy chair any time soon, don't hold your breath waiting for delivery.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

HoosierJim wrote: If you are getting older, an electric assist may come in handy. Can be handy after an injury or a surgery.
Looks like these need to be assembled :annoyed
John Bogle, "The Twelve Pillars of [Financial] Wisdom"- Pillar 5: Diversify, Diversify, Diversify.
FishTaco

Post by FishTaco »

I bought this chair:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/seort/374597521

Black Friday a year ago for 149 and it has been an excellent purchase for me. Can't comment on long term durability but its been one of my favorite things the last year.
Toons

Post by Toons »

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee