Best gym headphones

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Daneo

Best gym headphones

Post by Daneo »

Looking to replace the wife’s gym headphones looking at airbud style and big headphones looking for anybody’s experience with their favorite brands and models thanks in advance. Daneo
RobLyons

Re: Best gym headphones

Post by RobLyons »

https://www.amazon.com/Headphones-Otium ... 2485&psc=1

I've owned this for almost a year, very pleased.
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"
boosnark

Post by boosnark »

I use two, both are sweat resistant. The Jabra Elite 75T (the recent firmware update introduced active noise cancellation) and also the Apple Powerbeats Pro. If I had to choose one then the Powerbeats Pro, which is a very secure fit.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Similar threads have many people pointing to inexpensive Anker Soundbuds curve and similar. I want something that stays in my ears with earwings, clips over my earlobes, a microphone, volume and skip controls, lightweight, and long rechargeable battery life. Also multiple sizes of the bits that fit in your ear.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-SoundBuds- ... B0721MP41Q
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Mr.Chlorine

Post by Mr.Chlorine »

Airpod Pros are great for me. I have no issues using them to run, but I am not sure they would work if you want to play basketball or something with more sudden changes of direction. For weights and cardio machines, they are awesome!
Topic Author
Daneo

Post by Daneo »

Kinda like reviews on Powerbeats pro thank for the input folks Daneo
pmr2017

Post by pmr2017 »

Mr.Chlorine wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:27 pm Airpod Pros are great for me. I have no issues using them to run, but I am not sure they would work if you want to play basketball or something with more sudden changes of direction. For weights and cardio machines, they are awesome!
Are they fully sweat proof? That'd be my only concern with them.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

I used whatever cheap brand of airbuds on hand. Never had an issue until they wear out...usually one ear doesnt work. At $10 per set and usually lasting 8-10 months...not a bad deal. I also use them work work phone calls either from home or in car.

Ed
Copper John

Post by Copper John »

Mr.Chlorine wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:27 pm Airpod Pros are great for me. I have no issues using them to run, but I am not sure they would work if you want to play basketball or something with more sudden changes of direction. For weights and cardio machines, they are awesome!
+1

I use my airpods pro at the gym using the elliptical and for weights. The nose cancellation works great and they do not fall out. I also use them for running outside and they don't fall out and they are sweat resistant. I previously had the Jabra elite 65s and these work much better for me.
Boglegirl81

Post by Boglegirl81 »

I usually consult the wirecutter for these kinds of purchases.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/revi ... eadphones/
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I have Samsung's Earbuds. https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Wireless ... 083KVM9VW/
Long life - and then can pop them in the case to charge for more life. I originally bought them for the gym and travel. For long international travel (before it all came to a grinding halt) I liked the fact I could wear one at a time on flights while the other charges.
I am not sure why people like the ones with wires between the two buds - those can get in the way.
I didn't do extensive research - the Jabra buds mentioned above sound like a great option.
yosh99

Post by yosh99 »

Do some research on the Airpod Pro's to make sure they fit. Mine fall out all the time regardless of which size silicone plug I use. In checking, I found it's a very common problem. I have some LinearFlux ear pods that are very good for staying put, but the bluebook pairing can be intermittent. I have some over-the-ear sbode ear pods that I would recommend. They have a wire that goes behind your neck and connects the two sides which I consider more of a feature than a hinderance because they keep the pair together.
kimura king

Post by kimura king »

cableguy

Post by cableguy »

I am very happy with Aftershokz. Check them out. They don't go in your ears but rather next to your ears so you can still hear something (car, someone trying to get your attention, etc.).
dlw322

Post by dlw322 »

https://www.costco.com/samsung-galaxy-b ... 84223.html

These are the same as SmileyFace except they are in white, cheaper, and from Costco. I use them for running/gym/calls. They work great...and with Costco's easy return policy it's worth giving them a try.

I use them with an Iphone and Apple watch. Even though they are a Samsung product they work fine with Apple
Whalers

Post by Whalers »

Jaybird Vista. I have tried a wide range of wireless headphones and these are, far and away, the best. I use them when running, and they do not move at all. They only downside is that they do block out quite a bit of ambient noise, so you have to be somewhat aware of your surroundings.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

A lot cheap Amazon ones work fine - if you aren't sweating a ton. If you're just weightlifting and not sweating like a horse, these should be fine.

If you are however a serious endurance athlete and sweat a ton (like on a bike or treadmill), you'll definitely want something better than even the cheap 'IPX7' Amazon headphones/earbuds. I know - I've killed like 10 pairs of them, all of them which have been IPX5-7 or something ridiculous like that. Of all various brands. Most of them don't even last 3-4 months of use with my sweatload.

Aftershockz are neat (I have and use them a fair amount) and probably have them most sweat-resistant design of all the earbuds, but I've found for me they are terrible to use running on the roads, and even not so great on a treadmill. Car noise totally drowns them out - thought it would be better to have ears free to monitor for cars like their ads, but turns out cars are so friggin' loud that I have to go back to normal earbuds to BLOCK the car sounds, as you lose like 100% of the sound as a car goes by - if it's multiple, fuggetabout it. Sound quality is also subpar on Aftershockz - I'm no audiophile, but it can get hard to even hear podcasts without earplugs in to enhance the sound.

I think most $100+ earbuds with sweat resistance work quite well, at least reviewed ones do by serious athletes. I'm still using a pair of gen 1 Apple airpods and they have survived the most sweat-drenching of my workouts repeatedly, despite not being IPX rated at all. Assuming all the new earbuds are better, I have no doubt they'll survive for the most part.
Mr.Chlorine

Post by Mr.Chlorine »

pmr2017 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:57 pm
I have never had an issue but according to Apple, they are sweat resistant, not sweatproof.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Anker Soundcore Life U2
Works well keeping noise out of phone conversations.
Sound quality is.....just okay for music, fine for podcasts.
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
ReformedSpender

Post by ReformedSpender »

Sony XM3 noise cancelling

:beer
Market history shows that when there's economic blue sky, future returns are low, and when the economy is on the skids, future returns are high. The best fishing is done in the most stormy waters.
btq96r

Post by btq96r »

Bose SoundSport. Worth it at the normal price, an absolute deal on sale as they are now.
https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/hea ... less_black
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

Mr.Chlorine wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:10 am
pmr2017 wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 4:57 pm
I have never had an issue but according to Apple, they are sweat resistant, not sweatproof.
I have been using the AirPods Pro for running 3 times per week for the past year and have never had a problem. This includes runs in Jul/Aug when the heat index is close to 90 and I am sweating so much that it looks like I just stood under a fire hose.

Prior to the AirPods, I had a $20 Bluetooth set from Amazon (with wire that runs behind the neck to connect the 2 sides). They broke after a year. Then I upgraded to a $30 set from Amazon. They broke after a year. I finally threw in the towel and spent $249 on the AirPods Pro. So far, it has been worth it.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Daneo wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:48 pm Looking to replace the wife’s gym headphones looking at airbud style and big headphones looking for anybody’s experience with their favorite brands and models thanks in advance. Daneo
I rarely use headphones while working out. I only use it when there's a bunch of teenagers chatting and creating distraction. It's rarely the case though. I use one of the Bluephonic wireless bluetooth headphone on amazon ($15 or something like that). And it has worked for me for 3 years and counting.

I don't really care for mindless music or podcast. And I don't really care for loud noise consistently blasting in my ears. It's not good for my ears in the long run.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Hockey10 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:25 amI have been using the AirPods Pro for running 3 times per week for the past year and have never had a problem. This includes runs in Jul/Aug when the heat index is close to 90 and I am sweating so much that it looks like I just stood under a fire hose.

Prior to the AirPods, I had a $20 Bluetooth set from Amazon (with wire that runs behind the neck to connect the 2 sides). They broke after a year. Then I upgraded to a $30 set from Amazon. They broke after a year. I finally threw in the towel and spent $249 on the AirPods Pro. So far, it has been worth it.
I use the AirPods and they work OK, although they've fallen out a few times. I prefer the open vs sealed Pro so I can let in some sounds. I haven't tried Transparency mode, but that seems to achieve the same thing, and if so, that might be might next pair.

I have the wire behind the neck one and worked OK too. Mine didn't break, but the wire did tug when turning head, which was a bit annoying.
rgramma

Post by rgramma »

AirPods Pro have been great. They will fall out while running with the silicone tips they come with, but that's the case with any earbud with a silicone tip (at least for me). With the Comply foam tips they are rock solid. https://www.amazon.com/Comply-Comfortab ... 303&sr=8-3

Also don't get the AirPods Pro directly from Apple. There usually $50 cheaper on Amazon.
arf1410

Post by arf1410 »

cableguy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:47 pm I am very happy with Aftershokz. Check them out. They don't go in your ears but rather next to your ears so you can still hear something (car, someone trying to get your attention, etc.).
Ditto on this... And i also shower and hot tub with them on.. And the mic works well for phone calls
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I sweat buckets all over my powerbeats pro every morning for 45-90 minutes, for the past 17 months straight. Could not be happier. Charge the case every week or two. Sound quality is much better than I expected from a Beats product as well. :wink:
Iorek

Wireless earbuds?

Post by Iorek »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Hi Bogleheads,

I am wondering if anyone has recommendations for some boglehead-ish (i.e. not very expensive, or at least good value) wireless earbuds.

I am hoping to use them for exercise so I am looking for a pair that stays put in my ear (and has at least a moderate degree of water resistance). I’d like decent sound but I am not an audiophile. Preferably something in the $30-60 range but could go higher.

I had a pair of JBL Go Air but they do not stay in my ears during exercise and stopped working after a couple months (well they won’t sync with each other so only one works at a time).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
livesoft

Re: Wireless earbuds?

Post by livesoft »

Recent thread (9 days ago) with MANY suggestions:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=330377&p=5606872
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Iorek

Re: Wireless earbuds?

Post by Iorek »

livesoft wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:18 am Recent thread (9 days ago) with MANY suggestions:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=330377&p=5606872
Thanks! :embarrassed:
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Iorek's thread into the on-going discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.